• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Big fan of Root Letter and Raging Loop. Gonna have to try out more of them. Thanks for the list OP!

Apr 19, 2018
Would love for the Danganronpa series to hit Switch.

I'm musing here, but if Danganronpa v3 ever made it out to Switch, you think it could handle running at 60fps like the PS4/PC?

I crossplayed the game between Vita and PS4, and despite the allure of the Vita's portable factor, I found myself reaching for the PS4 version more often than not for its superior performance. Yes, frame rate is certainly not a necessity for a text-based game but it sure looked and played snappy, especially during traversal and the menus.

Should it ever come to Switch and run optimally, it would be a godsend.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
is there a way to play the Japanese version of a game bought from the NA eshop?
if you just change the console language to japanese is that enough?

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up in case you miss out (I didn't know LR was doing Clannad either!), but I believe the JP release is in English..? I'm sure someone can confirm or deny that, but I'm sure I remember reading that was the case - I've been meaning to import a copy for a while.
Can confirm. It was fairly cheap on Amazon Japan at launch, probably still is. It also comes with a drama CD.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
How is there no danganronpa? I'm not sure who develops the series but biggest facepalm if they don't port it on switch.
All I can figure is that DRv3 came out in Japan two months before the Switch, and by then Kodaka didn't want to do much more with Danganronpa after that. It's all that makes sense to me.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Love the idea of the thread but I'd be sad if the OP lead anyone to buy Our World is Ended. It's trash.

I also wouldn't recommend Steins Gate 0 to anyone. But just cos it's bad.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm playing through Sominum Files right now and I was not expecting this game to be so overly "anime". Like, I'm still enjoying it, but geez.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The minute you start the game it recommends you fix yourself a drink and get comfy, and it fully delivers on that mood. And the music is incredible, especially heard through headphones. It's the perfect blend of low-stress "gameplay" and intriguing storytelling.

I just bought a new bottle of whiskey and moonshine last night. Perhaps it is time to start it.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Currently playing though Raging Loop and I'm absolutely hooked. Werewolf is my favourite card game and I love the way they implemented the rules into a death game.

krlitros87

Oct 28, 2017
awesome thread!
Please keep posting games
homero-anotando-vagonettas.jpg

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thank you for this topic, I think this is the next step in my evolution as a person now that I've followed Giant Bomb into the loving clutches of anime.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
is there a way to play the Japanese version of a game bought from the NA eshop?
if you just change the console language to japanese is that enough?
No, you need to make an account that has japan as it's home region. I made one for a bit when I had Monster Hunter XX but used it so rarely (the account, not the game) and it flooded my news feed with japanese (which i cannot read), so i deleted it.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I didn't know Eliza is on switch. I started playing it on my PC but I feel this would be a better fit. Thanks for the heads up.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
As I get to review games on the PS4, I only use my Switch for exclusive visual novels, but we're getting some of them as time goes on. It's a good excuse to post my list of visual novel console releases for 2020, only one of them is not getting a Switch release:

Maitetsu -Pure Station- (PS4, NSW) January 16th
Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen (PS4, Vita) Early 2020
Little Busters! Converted Edition (NSW) Spring 2020
Robotics;Notes Elite (PS4, NSW, PC) 2020
Robotics;Notes DaSH (PS4, NSW, PC) 2020
The House in Fata Morgana: Dreams of the Revenants Edition (NSW) 2020
Root Film (PS4, NSW) 2020

Otome:

Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ (NSW) February 6th
Code: Realize ~Future Blessings~ (NSW)
Collar x Malice (NSW)
Collar x Malice: Unlimited (NSW)
Cafe Enchante (NSW)
Piofiore (working title) (NSW)

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing through Sominum Files right now and I was not expecting this game to be so overly "anime". Like, I'm still enjoying it, but geez.
Yeah, even as a massive weeb, Somnium was occasionally too much for me. Kind of lowered my opinion of it overall.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
No, you need to make an account that has japan as it's home region. I made one for a bit when I had Monster Hunter XX but used it so rarely (the account, not the game) and it flooded my news feed with japanese (which i cannot read), so i deleted it.
thanks, i do have that set up. i like the news, much more going on

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I had this discussion last night with a friend, I'm going with the Gematsu article claiming DaSH is also coming out in 2020.
If DaSH was released in 2020, it would be amazing. However, I have the feeling we will get it in 2021. After all, even though Gematsu is right (since anyway I didn't remember 2020 in the official presentation), a delay is always possible, like it happened for Steins;Gate Elite. Nonetheless, for years we waited for Robotics;Notes and I thought we would have never got it and the sequel, so we cannot complain if DaSH is coming out in 2021.

Oct 28, 2017
Love the idea of the thread but I'd be sad if the OP lead anyone to buy Our World is Ended. It's trash.

Wrong!

Steins Gate 0 is good. It was just......unnecessary. Steins Gate is one of my favourite games of all time and my favourite game story ever. 0 was never going to live up to that. I think it told a good story, had good characters and is well worth anyone's time. At the same time when I was done with it I was overwhelmed with a feeling of....eh it didn't need to exist. But bad? Nah.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
thanks, i do have that set up. i like the news, much more going on
You are right, there is much more going on, just wish I could read it 😅

Why? I liked 0. I didn't think it was as quite as good as the first, but it was still good. It had a much darker and more depressing tone for sure, but it was still good. Making a sequel based off one of the bad endings was an interesting way of going about it.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
They're sone of my favorite VNs. All three are pretty different though. The first is mostly slice of life about a 17 year old guy that was and kind of still is in the military going to high school. It's mostly slice of life comedy that's great due to how much of a wise ass juicy Yuuji is, though it gets pretty intense during the climax of routes with some really good payoffs. The second's main part is mainly a flashback of the protagonists time in the military so it's quite a bit more serious and story oriented though it also has a lot of lighthearted moments. The main part of the third is somewhere between the two in terms of tone and atmosphere, though chronologically last.
Sounds good, I think I'll check it out, thanks.

Why is it trash? Bad translation, or just bad story?

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it trash? Bad translation, or just bad story?

It's bad, uninspired, copies Steins;Gate to a tee (without succeeding in anything) and:

www.resetera.com

My Little Visual Novel Can't Be This Homophobic (Or How Queerness Continues To Be the Butt of the Joke in Japan)

As a writer for a gaming publication, I play games and write reviews all year long. As my favorite genre, I play a lot of visual novels. Some are good, some are great, some are pretty mediocre. As time goes on being a gay guy, my perception of anything considered offensive gets keener and...

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Oh god, don't get me started. The stuff currently available is hot ass and barely(!) passes as "translated" if at all.
And then I see the UtaPri Re-Releases on the JP shop. And basically the full Otomate back catalog.
And then I try not to cry.......

... there's literally better Otome available on my phone right now than on the Switch US or EU eShop.

I doubt that since mobage is just a way to burn $$$ for 5 min of story with no CG at the end.

Anyways, Aksys is going to release Code: realize and CxM next yr with their FD and I have to recc'd the former since it's the best otome I've ever played. Also, Cafe Enchante which got good reviews will be released eventually too.

Oct 25, 2017
OP you forgot 2064 R.O.M.

It's a great who-done-it mystery VN set in cyberpunk San Francisco, with apparantly some ties to Valhalla.

OP
OP
hussien-11

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Also, 2064: Read Only Memories should be listed. I enjoyed that game a lot and it's always cool to see Western VN's since the large majority of the notable ones are Japanese
OP you forgot 2064 R.O.M.

It's a great who-done-it mystery VN set in cyberpunk San Francisco, with apparantly some ties to Valhalla.

First time hearing of this. I will update and add more games later. why not? maybe I should keep updating the thread for sometime, I think it can help people find more games they may like especially that eShop doesn't have a visual novel category.

I suggest adding some of these instead to showcase the variety of stuff available for people with a knack for story-driven adventure games:

Many of those don't fit honestly, as they are not vns or text-based games, but I will add what I can later.

... I'm not recommending all those games, I didn't play many of them, but it was one of the earliest VN releases on Switch I could remember.

Playing through AI: The Somnium Files right now and it is great, I need more VN like this on Switch.

Ace Attorney Trilogy are fantastic detective stories! they have a very different style though. Steins;Gate is also a great VN if you didn't read it before. strongly recommended.

Maitetsu -Pure Station- (PS4, NSW) January 16th
Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen (PS4, Vita) Early 2020
Little Busters! Converted Edition (NSW) Spring 2020
Robotics;Notes Elite (PS4, NSW, PC) 2020
Robotics;Notes DaSH (PS4, NSW, PC) 2020
The House in Fata Morgana: Dreams of the Revenants Edition (NSW) 2020
Root Film (PS4, NSW) 2020

I didn't read Robotics;Notes but I thought the anime was really boring, I expected more from Hayashi after Steins;Gate..

Any word on Root Letter: Last answer? is it good?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Praying either Nintendo or Spike Chunsoft localize the Detective Club remakes in 2020/2021.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I hear Our World is Ended is supposed to be problematic, though (there was another thread made on it in which OP highlighted really lame shxt).

Want to get Death Mark and Somnium, but I hear Somnium doesnt run great on Switch.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I've never really played a VN before, but it sounds like something I would enjoy, considering I like story games and am not put off by e.g. walking simulators.
Where to start though. I did a lot of soaring in my youth so If My Heart Had Wings is immediately appealing. It's old though. Is that a good game or would it ruin my perception of VNs?

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I've been toying with the idea of giving VNs another try but I get stuck on how much time it'd take to even play a fraction of these. Seems like a huge time sink?

Anyway, coincidentally, I have my first Vita arriving today. :P I will give Planetarian a good try, as that's short.

(Holy shit, it's been over 25 years since I played Snatcher. I feel old.)

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Steins;Gate: My Darling's Embrace also hit Switch last month. Although it kind of sounds like a different, more fanservicey thing than the two main games.

Yeah, I noticed that when I went to check the eshop. I'll probably grab it anyway, I'm a sucker for anything S;G :D

Can confirm. It was fairly cheap on Amazon Japan at launch, probably still is. It also comes with a drama CD.

Ah, thanks, I was sure I was right! I think last time I looked it was ~¥5,000. I really should get around to picking a copy up. Gonna grab one for a friend for their birthday too, as they got me into Clannad to begin with.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I've never really played a VN before, but it sounds like something I would enjoy, considering I like story games and am not put off by e.g. walking simulators.
Where to start though. I did a lot of soaring in my youth so If My Heart Had Wings is immediately appealing. It's old though. Is that a good game or would it ruin my perception of VNs?

Ace Attorney Trilogy is incredible - I'd highly recommend it.

Dec 2, 2017

999 + Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward as well as Steins;Gate seem to be the usual gateway drugs.

Planetarian should be the first visual novel for all Switch owners.

I fully support this sentiment, it's my GOTY pick this year. But that's one heavy introduction to the genre o_0

Last edited:
OP
OP
hussien-11

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Want to get Death Mark and Somnium, but I hear Somnium doesnt run great on Switch.

Who said that? I'm playing it right now and it runs great. when I first started playing it, I remember sometimes it seemed to freeze for ~ 1 second sometimes and then everything became normal again, but I'm playing it right now and I'm not facing the issue anymore. anyway, if you are looking for a great portable experience with this game? I think you won't be disappointed.

I probably should wait for a sale, the art style is very appealing to me.

My humble opinion is... Ace Attorney Trilogy will always be the best place to start! Ace Attorney is the series that made the genre popular in the west in the first place, and they are some of my favorite games of all time:

- Just very fun and well made games overall, and they are not as text-heavy as games that don't have gameplay.
- Switch version supports the touch screen.

After that you will be more comfortable to try heavier titles like Steins;Gate or If My Heart Had Wings, and you will have a better idea of what to expect.

I've been toying with the idea of giving VNs another try but I get stuck on how much time it'd take to even play a fraction of these. Seems like a huge time sink?

Overall yes, but it also depends on the structure of the game, for example every case in Ace Attorney is not very long or a huge time sink. also, in most visual novels you can save anytime, I usually make a habit of reading something everyday, even if only a little, to not forget the story, and when I have more time i increase my reading time.

Anyway, coincidentally, I have my first Vita arriving today. :P I will give Planetarian a good try, as that's short.

Vita does have some great VNs that are not available on Switch yet:

- Muv Luv series (the highest ranked VN in the west, but the first novel is purely slice of life and very slow, and I honestly think the series has some pacing issues overall)
- Root Double (a great thriller/mystery game that you may really enjoy)
- Danganronpa series
- Utawarerumono series (a hybrid between VN/strategy series)

Root Letter, Steins;Gate, and The House in Fata Morgana are also available on Vita.