• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
So why do we have another thread about it.
I like the switch but the constant shilling is annoying.
Guy is just saying he likes something and isn't attacking anything or anyone doing so.
Only thing annoying in this site is that every positive normal thread will bring people who can't see others enjoying something and have to find a way to shit on it.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I spend half of my week traveling.
Switch basically allowed me to play as much as I used to when I was a teenager.

Also, I love playing in a park near my my house when I go there with my dog.

Screenshot_20200125-100644_Instagram.jpg

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Did they have a commercial in which you play Switch while shitting? I think that's something that everyone will relate to. Switch, your best friend for shit, there I made a catchy tagline, pay me Nintendo.
I just don't get how you would want to play while shitting.

Unless you're one of those ones that takes a long ass time to do it, it's still so gross.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I love playing old games in bed on the Switch.

People always yell at me but I would much rather have a hybrid PS5 than raytracing. The convenience somehow makes it easier and more fun to play most games.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Vast majority of my play time has been at home. Started mostly docked and then morphed to mostly handheld. So much so that I got a Lite for the better form factor and because my launch one has some minor screen damage from an unlucky drop. Main reason for the change is I wasn't playing it much after the first year as I just preferred playing more graphics heany games or online games with my friends (none are into Nintnedo) during my TV gaming time. Then I realized a lot of Switch games are great for playing handheld on the deck or on the couch while watching sports I want to only pay half attention to (was often browsing online while watching before). So that's let me get more gaming in.

Otherwise I've just used it like other portables I've owned. Occasionally on flights, in hotels, at bars etc. Haven't cared to use tabletop mode (screen too small for my aging eyes) and can't stand playing with a single JoyCon.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 day): continued threadwhining following warning in same thread
Guy is just saying he likes something and isn't attacking anything or anyone doing so.
Only thing annoying in this site is that every positive normal thread will bring people who can't see others enjoying something and have to find a way to shit on it.
He's admitting to starting a discussion that has been had numerous times. Why do we need another thread about it? The switch is portable. We're all aware of this. Could this discussion not happen in the switch OT?

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
He's admitting to starting a discussion that has been had numerous times. Why do we need another thread about it? The switch is portable. We're all aware of this. Could this discussion not happen in the switch OT?
Because he's talking about his personal experience with him and thought it wouldn't be a big deal. He didn't thought the fun patrol would go out of its way to shit on other people having a good time.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Because he's talking about his personal experience with him and thought it wouldn't be a big deal. He didn't thought the fun patrol would go out of its way to shit on other people having a good time.
Let's all make threads about how great the PS4 and Xbox one is. It's been discussed before but my personal experience makes it relevant. Come on...

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Just let the mods be mods and report the thread if you care that much. Is it that hard to just not enter and ignore it?

OP
OP
Timppis

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I've yet to see groups of people in their 20s playing switch together in public places personally
I have. In the middle of a sports event even.

Pretty much this. I am completely ok if this thread was seen irrelevant or closed. Last thread was quite a while ago and the hangouts are mostly dead. It was just something that popped into my mind as I was playing the system today.

I am quite aware that there have been portable systems. Just not ones that allowed me to seamlessly change from home to coffee shop and back home after kids birthday party. There's a difference there.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not taking my Switch to the beach. Whoever made that commercial clearly has no respect for electronic devices

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite instance of seeing this was seeing this group of four guys playing Smash together at a taco shop. They were having a blast and laughing like crazy, it felt really heartwarming.

I've seen it at airports, on trains, the bus, restaurants. It's cool to have people everywhere able to play games and have fun together whenever and wherever tbh.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Switch is probably my favorite piece of hardware ever. the flexibility of the system is amazing, it fits so well... when I'm busy I usually play some quick Rocket League matches in tabletop mode, when I want to read a visual novel I do that on my bed, but when I want to play Zelda or Mario Odyssey or Mortal Kombat I use the TV. for some games I switch between console and handheld a lot.

I use the system to play games like Super Mario Party with my friends, but we've been doing that for a very long time now, it didn't start with Switch.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I've traveled with my Switch less than I did my 3DS. Instead of watered down ports of games I just want to play with better graphics the 3DS had features like street pass and what felt like more unique experiences to me.

But maybe I just haven't invested into the system enough. I'm always playing something on PC or PS4 instead.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a Switch a week ago in Tokyo, mostly because my son sometimes gets to play 20-30min on our iPad and I don't really like it because most games on it are solo experiences.

I bought the Switch with Mario Kart, set it up on the hotel bed and we started playing while laying on our stomachs, all within a couple of minutes. The smile on his face was incredible. The fact that he was playing against his dad and winning made him so happy.

At the same time it reminded me of when I first got my 64 with Mario Kart and played on my stomach against my dad and sister.

The fact that we can take this anywhere and set it up within a minute is just as magical to me as it seems to be for him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Timppis

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Bought a Switch a week ago in Tokyo, mostly because my son sometimes gets to play 20-30min on our iPad and I don't really like it because most games on it are solo experiences.

I bought the Switch with Mario Kart, set it up on the hotel bed and we started playing while laying on our stomachs, all with a couple of minutes . The smile on his face was incredible. The fact that he was playing against his dad and winning made him so happy.

At the same time it reminded me of when I first got my 64 with Mario Kart and played on my stomach against my dad and sister.

The fact that we can take this anywhere and set it up within a minute is just as magical to me as it seems to be for him.
My kids absolutely love Mario Maker courses and I''ve bought them MK8DX but it's still in wrappings waiting for birthday or some other occasion.

It's absolute blast to play with your kids.

Oct 28, 2017
It is exactly what I wished for.

On my commute, previous to getting a Switch I had a Surface Pro 3 and an Xbox One Controller. It was fine to be honest, the Surface Pro has a very nice kickstand and the Xbox controller paired with no problems and I have a nice big screen to play games on. Sitting on the subway playing was pretty good however it is not an elegantly designed package and I have to pack up 2 stops before I got off to make sure I was good.

Enter Switch.

I could pull out a console from my inside jacket pocket and rock out in 10 secs. And the actual games are so much better. I completed Eventide Island on a bus...A BUS. A seminal moment from one of the greatest games ever and I was on the Bus and Hyrule at the same time.

Fantastic!

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I think what makes the switch particularly good is that the system hasn't suffered any draughts. There are so many bombass games on the system and the portability makes that even more appreciable. I've lost count of how many games I'll skip on my PS4 if they come out on switch because of the portability. Even if the games aren't as technically good.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Girlfriend sent me this pic of a guy hitting on her while playing Mario at the airport. The ads are real guys.

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
Rooftop party, pubgames, mountaintop, vaporetto 1 in venice, canalside with nighttime pizza etc.
Perfect for the plane though.

Oct 28, 2017
The corny commercials didn't show joycon drift.

Seriously this shit has straight up ruined Switch for me. I've given up on the platform until they release new joycons that fix the problem. I used to take my Switch everywhere but now I never use it at all let alone take it anywhere. Fix drift permanently and I'll take my Switch to the pub again.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see way less people playing Switches in public than I ever did for Game Boy or PSP. But I'm also never in any school environment so many it's big in those?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Just let the mods be mods and report the thread if you care that much. Is it that hard to just not enter and ignore it?
This is also a really weird thread to complain about. It's a harmless positive thread about something people like. So weird that that is what annoys or pisses off people.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I love my Switch, but I never take it outside

I preffer playing it portable, but I always play it while laying on my bed or when someone wants to use the tv for something else

I dont take it outside because it's a little too big, I think. It's not that much portable.

I would rather go out with my 3DS

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
The closest I've gotten to the commercials was playing it on a few flights and Jackbox with friends when they ask. I'm 95% handheld, but on my bed.

Oct 27, 2017
I take it to the office every single day with the intention of getting some time in, but usually don't. Maybe I'll get 20 minutes a month but I love the hope of it all.

I like that I can play on the TV until my girlfriend gets home and then I just undock it and stay on the couch while she watches YouTube.

I rarely get to play it in mobile mode but the possibilities it presents make the console so appealing to me.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
No, you are, learn to multitask my friend. Switch is also great for itching your back due to it's lenght and trigger buttons.

no, this is still disgusting. did you know poop particles are in very high concentration in the toilet and adhere to anything you bring in easily? that means your Switch is getting covered in microscopic shit and infecting the rest of the household.

when i use the toilet, it's no more than 5 minutes in there so i don't even have any time to play anything meaningful even if i considered this acceptable.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the marketing campaign for the Switch was well done and not corny. It demonstrated how versatile the system can be. It was a bit silly with bringing it to roof top party, but casual get togethers I have seen people bring it or play it on Insta stories, etc.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
I saw that ASMR video on Nintendo's channel and now I want to play Mario Bros. besides a fire place drinking hot tea.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I tried playing my switch at the dog park one time and the screen glare was so intense that it was basically unplayable, but it does work great in handheld mode when I'm listening to a podcast and wanting to grind something out in an rpg or whatever.

Also, nobody has invited me to a rooftop party yet so that's just false advertising on Nintendo's part.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Never had a rooftop party but as someone who travels a lot for work I've been playing on the bus, train and plane across the globe.

jSGpzrz7D-PWEza7WJIsB_rkIzieQAOy3l6MPoHLSqf2JpG4jlVOaPPEzEu_wwEnepB2cZ1d7XIwJBp3mQ_h_XFP_sePfMjcFAeKzulv3D9DEu1F_zO-lLl2Km3_OEEhKL78z_mNePGiEWaUsaUtzw-7KzR2-_P5mb4UM_Pk1QhPega2bXkGLAhCZdTmjVi6AyOWolfHPflrhIwLXOwnmkeci1EpJj8nN7PRhtQ_UO8BegNOkfRd_St8bnE0WG7u2hVO6PM8gC9--FHNlpVlDoRir6TyE9lt_bfywWonIgT-yZYpDPINeCmlBZp6-KjgHl95lmDf_IXwK5I1M78ZbVkV9IdYJGPg5bEFhdlCtsjbWXummKVa4F7Pl8OBZH58EfaOSD4ZfHPtIuMExFQtQlLmESssuLlsZo__R8gGo_eXKfI-d4PRhhKk9fUtr0HnPKqYdKHh4WQIk_Ano8kuZeLSdNsJKF5IV7E8tUxqPOGaKfHj_mDopK1PMc4D2sPqEpVzMbALvXofOXnaGcp9y6s9ikC7ihwSKTDfuh14klgVIbELax2O4e_3JJaXn-WZ_hy5aMfE4BwCpylGH48sT2QH4B_XtamBgplnZyuK5Q081bBk4iQcCUwtquWE5Cf5tBMy71FELVlFhVlujBaFf7ev4TF9b74N7oPrI37fBDwV3rdkQpRLo5zfx0UNks5CStyuAvPBJdxJD_RtaEWfugHQ8nEgqYNN151BQ_V7YdK6b_yK=w1452-h1089-no

N3wWI4qXoAIpg4VuDVabbyB9m-6iFdZlb_7YN0acpGQWedWM-4qeWDUIRU6sQBd5NSydUWEx8npRrZa7_3-q0XpqNpWvER8ogo2juoOrXEMoA5nA6sbvvLWBc26uXISYI0lkjqcXPh-6yWEzPsJ33dQhx1YuoahTfgU42HCI183RZ-_Cd1_3BA1qGryXVNT-4eS6IMroP6v27KV2c-vwl3VZNsxJfazMiamXjiMAQjMpZzww2XgrmiLbxvpckOaLCiBeOyejCYkvfcE-JRnYErKCwqz0d3liv7SIHHfh3841Fe0k6cWOmuuxQp0Xg1nytvyS5J5dWhZBpjavxlThPNQtZK6O5Hc48R12dW9Zt82S7BNcdleLR9N6OxzacAYIDlPKRe7uefjrr2sV9_F97oTCUu2Lw6edIl7f7jCc6pJHyXj2GokocRHmqTzbd-W2ks1zp7tooT26HeOkKTOU9EN5LfWF_Xot0Am0jD-z_cnZhaMtH82HNTni93qQFr15FLfrL7o6n8Fw08b4h-amIs1-F4aJuisKibDbw1rc18ax2lpJjX5asxADbrWUv7UbqxM0sCheYshH54VeUFgVwXgt9sxDvCB3shofi1eyBSP6Jt9AdU60b-cBB85Q_9NJrKDKyQhzKxCGs94a-qMmSmvft_qurs7MMS_3PTrY4D25gjqCQFh6V-ZDLIyWc6l2kWon2K0mj0fRxIIvTqYnQ56FTdYumXRT59TAOQhs0S9p0NGb=w1452-h1089-no

J5fLSWW_py6nIh0l8EkQAQLepDALFtr_nfKy9P9FfwEeHOM5tXp2CYwFix20xIy1nLf_sD9dgna_E7GJNMX2VHk6MvKSfVvPIUsDrTQtE2IE10i1BIc_YJg33drCFW1xDEugPEZnpHA1dgTSbPVJ4QjwPkWq-Zj5G28rqnE4dCIPyA9vKtIKa8gLglyYw4ouKjFVxYXPxLwwqwZxVarSEfEhTY4NJkaBL02fho1tgHVIA0c1EqdcRjaaeyc9SG8r9E5QUZmsL2-HohK3AQUXOCt9NVcypsHb0puJ0cKb_cC1J-Ef02b8Kj6-sKchoIjNm_I8CYgKefNr_Bk2K5gDtTDjitbd55CcO1whAZW46FREWS2gM9qO0IXjQV-i9VsHpqbadLdZotQP8GxpZHjKzeNpfWSkTiXmRKCsiS_JyncXFUcAITY6orUPoyBcIqmaYSxnuRvwJQPzzCB2cTxu_IQDh7RkVRDTkeksoCpGZZhfMu5-fEFTzt9AqBXNjDe6OhtmZxj6iPTLPZfy3Mv_rr9znKc5WYM7Wq4JWZWZ0BFnZH6OG1Y-TTa77zHZ2b8IKi-qNJEBgkgEJX6GQXgZ6FV44k20_0jZzo11iJU8fKXlRdv2VV2LaRQZ_-RaiGDrskm7XP2o-Fh0sYhTWupqYCnU5DS95eJt-zMmRj8VGyYK-mDZhqC4X8S0i_NWRfine2O_X_gezgDaOkTOxE0yFErzlUyAXl7UoZJXMaWnbKnypONw=w1920-h934-no

nJN8E4r15_lqEwO1E9EAah3VNpvj_7GKlgc4LOP_q5jyH9zUrklULG91UgpZ7G_awFzKX4N6dslJqDNVb8mjAamXetpg-0Z3kYmlCQngkDi_Va8q5kOOtCTBEZNzmDpsGbBiUh2WRu8dXgpCdeMlnPnSeOFoALmPIfcRNljQEWnVJploPdxookrOFQCdqqs1uZutzsoGL3qgmaPl9oco-fxy8YX33THJTW-LC4H9qAeqTWhib-cBvtgJ71BOaOzTQq3GgSQuxmV6T3E8CS-RlWYTYQ6ttH_u_CfN2qs9K_Y93ag2EgHYt1JN9rf1WwyfX_8VMgYbaA-foO0RdQbVFjP4OAW_ctG1nCMv68ewr621P7vt8KI6JFYUg7uT5BG2UO8qddOoIj0f4EnA7vujpKYj2fvLwyfw0CsOuhw3zqboZUf_8hIAl-JroD3e_EGP4fYolQ7czoGigcm-gdNU7JrfT4rPTdjibY5vpIq9C6NcybOGPxMqL65Zw-OkHAsjSFG8al9Ed8AAa1OvYctBdIP3bz2tf1AiBZK8-pOYiZtCTWt33zP50c5XJ3Fa7jjIa8vWC_zIKY4qdDcstnLTKwbhCFrpC9TS8Tm8vI1wBPKYfmhQNCfR5OhByXCEMEktPlxGycCv50Ejevk8WiEwiyfkBh2TRIRdzadat8-gkrPSY4IJR6dcNXmrp6QtD0zmjI9y5vz4FSNxxh0y8ruLNWPhiC50kChaDqTneOP-gyI00hSk=w1920-h934-no

Oh and btw... Sony's wh-1000xm3 noise-canceling headphones are awesome when playing handheld mode.

how does this work? I thought the noise canceling feature only works in bluetooth mode

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I think what makes the switch particularly good is that the system hasn't suffered any draughts. There are so many bombass games on the system and the portability makes that even more appreciable. I've lost count of how many games I'll skip on my PS4 if they come out on switch because of the portability. Even if the games aren't as technically good.

I agree. Nintendo have hit a goldmine with Switch being a hybrid.

Also IMO (& I don't know about you & everyone else), I get certain genres of games for the Switch because I feel that they fit more on Nintendo's platforms:
  • Action
  • Action/Adventure
  • Adventure
  • Beat-'Em-Ups
  • Indies
  • Platformers
  • Puzzle
  • RPG's
  • Run & Gun
  • Shoot-'Em-Ups
For PS4, these genres would fit more on there:
  • Certain RPG's
  • Fighting
  • Sports
  • Open World
  • FPS
  • TPS

Last edited:

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Busted out the Switch at the drive-in last year since we had four hours to kill until the first movie started. We put the console on the hood of the car, sat in our chairs in front of it and used the Joy-cons to play through a chunk of Super Mario World. It was amazing and made the time go by so much quicker.

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The corny commercials didn't show joycon drift.

Seriously this shit has straight up ruined Switch for me. I've given up on the platform until they release new joycons that fix the problem. I used to take my Switch everywhere but now I never use it at all let alone take it anywhere. Fix drift permanently and I'll take my Switch to the pub again.

You could always buy third party Joy cons for it. I have a hori d-pad Joy con that doesn't ever drift. Sure, it's only playable in handheld mode but that's how i play 99% of the time anyway.

I'm planning on buying a split pad pro next since my right joycon also started showing drift signs, so that will virtually eliminate the issue for me as well as provide me with (finally) a good ergonomic controller for the system.