• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Black Thunder

Nov 1, 2017
Yep, I really wish you could use Pokemon menus with the touchscreen.

For what it's worth, Civilization VI on Switch is fully controllable with the touchscreen. Like, the entire game, menu, everything. It's from the iPad app so it had to be fully touch controllable. Nice that they kept it all in for the Switch release.

I was surprised Armello has full touchscreen controls as well. Likely a result of the mobile versions' development.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Turok 2 on the switch has touch aiming which I found weird.

And by touch aiming, I mean the type of mouse looking you'd find on DS 1st person shooters.

Brivs

Creative Director, BancyCo
Verified
Nov 4, 2017
Toronto
I agree that some handy touches controls would benefit a lot of games in handheld mode (especially for menus and such). We made our game (Worse Than Death) entirely touch-capable for that reason. You can play the whole game that way, use traditional controls, or both.

I would love for some games to use touch as a way to access Easter eggs or some such, just to reward players who think to try something.

Jan 20, 2019
There have been a few convenient implementations, at least. Like in Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, you can swipe from the side of the screen while in the field to quick heal your party.

And there are some games where it's been really handy for gameplay, like using the Celestial Brush techniques in Okami! I found it much easier to draw on the screen compared to flicking the Joycon around.

But I get the thing about menus sometimes. There are def times when those big menu buttons will scream "Touch controls!" but I feel like a fool when I try to uselessly jab at the screen.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
When it comes to budget and time constraint decisions, I'm perfectly fine with them punting touch controls for things that actually matter.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Most Vita games had touchscreen menus and everyone hated those so they were phased out :D but indeed, touchscreen being a feature at all on the Switch is odd.
For a screen that size I doubt it adds much to the cost. May even be cheaper, because all other devices that size have touch screens.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Remember: gamefreak make the Pokemon games, not Nintendo. They want us to remember that such small indie company doesn't have the resources to design a game with that sensibility.

/S

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i never liked touch controls because of how the screens got ruined over time. i don't mind of they fade into obscurity.
all my 3DSs have wear from use and i'm pretty careful with the thing. it's just impossible to play some games without making a single scratch. i avoided using the touch screen as much as possible.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Having touch controls as an option for the menus in handheld wouldn't change the docked experience at all, I don't get that argument.