• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
First off, do you have RCM access? The process itself is super simple but you need a secondary SD card that is formatted to FAT 32, otherwise this won't work.
Yes – if you mean the menu you can boot CFW from. I use that dongle with the X logo.
Getting another card formatted to FAT32 isn't an issue.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo needs to stop fucking around. I need word on that Switch Pro release so I can hack my current one.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like... Why doesn't Nintendo invest in making this possible themselves? I would throw my money at them to play these games on the go.

We'll never see a VC like on the Wii ever again :(

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Nintendo needs to stop fucking around. I need word on that Switch Pro release so I can hack my current one.
honestly i'm straight up baffled why virtual console hasn't happened yet

*fully illegally playable.
mhm

tenor.gif

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
"GameCube Virtua Console at launch" - I will never, ever forgive leakers for that.
Don't give me that "plans change" bullshit copout either.
It hurts my soul we can't play these games on Switch without having to resort to modding. At least get some remasters going

Lmwanderer

Oct 27, 2017
Binghamton NY
Honestly, I've been using my NVidia Shield for doing much of this already (similar hardware but console-esque if it hadn't been mentioned) and I've just been waiting for some nice breakthroughs like this to take the plunge on the handheld side. I seriously want Nintendo to roll something like this out for E3 which I highly doubt to this extent, but I may get a second switch to play around with for emulation now that its more worth it.

Also baffled about Virtual Console too. Seems like an ultimate Nintendo machine money maker and a no brainer. Kinda lost hope with Wii U unless Nintendo themselves have some hidden amazing emulator tucked away for a rainy day, but that may be for a future switch revision hopefully.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Is all this stuff running through Lakka? Is it so much better than using Retroarch on CFW?
Safer IMO. Don't have to worry about blocking DNS addresses or IPs or whatever, it just runs on it's standalone SD card. I flat-out don't trust anything that even touches the internal NAND, even emuNAND.

Whether it's better performance-wise or not, I dunno. But IMO, any minor performance difference ain't worth it.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I just can't comprehend why Nintendo can't do this themselves. They are leaving easy money right now.
I'd make a baby cry to have those gorgeous classic icons on my Switch menu, I'd buy all (VC) games I had on Wii and Wii U all over again.
The hacking scene is improving their stuff really quickly, so I don't believe Nintendo isn't doing it because it isn't possible. It is possible to have more classic games beyond NES that most people don't care about anymore.

I guess I'll just hack mine whenever I get the revised hardware that's coming.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yo what the FUCK

I'm legit running TimeSplitters 2 on my Switch at a locked 60fps with ZERO issues, holy shit

Imma make a YouTube video on this, sorry if this counts as self-promotion or whatever but people need to see this shit

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, they need to release their Switch Pro model so I can do this to my launch Switch.
Looks amazing. Portable Skies of Arcadia and Baten Kaitos and Fire Emblem Radiance and Mario Galaxy? /swoon

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when the Wii came out 13 years ago and its Virtual Console was a billion times better than Nintendo's weak fucking offerings on Switch?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
So would you be able to switch between the EmuNAND and the SysNAND without getting detected so long as your EmuNAND is on that DNS that blocks Nintendo's servers? Those icons almost make me wanna do it.
Bit late to this post, but I *believe* so (or if you just use airplane mode, depending on paranoia). I haven't touched EmuNAND and while I'm tempted/curious, I'm not really willing to take the plunge just yet in case I fuck something... that's how my PS3 (and linked MAIN PSN account) got banned.

Lakka gives me enough to fuck around with for now, so I'm happy.

How's Saturn and PSX emulation?
See my post above :) As for PSX, it's not great because there's no dynarec emulation (yet) meaning it's still slower than it should be. I'm sure it will get updated quite soon though, people more knowledgable than I seem confident about that.
Someone posted earlier that Saturn emulation is 100% (as in compatible I think, not sure about speed) but I still have a bit to tinker with re: cores etc. But there's no reason to think it won't be full speed and have very high compatibility relatively soon.

FWIW, if any other posters are curious, here's what I've tested:
Full speed emulation at stock clocks:
All arcade stuff that's available (including CPS3 and Neo-Geo, haven't tried 3D arcade stuff)
All the ones you expect (older consoles including SNES, Genesis, GBA)
Cannonball (Outrun emulator/core)

Requires increased clocks:
Saturn (not 100%)
Wii (only tested with Geometry Wars Galaxies, hardly a demanding title)
Dreamcast/Naomi (only mild overclocking/settings tweaking needed)
32X
PSP

Core optimisation on the way, but not yet:
PSX (which will be improved dramatically once dynarec support hits)

Probably won't ever be full-speed:
Jaguar

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
rendering the timesplitters 2 vid

shit runs P E R F E C T L Y

god bless free radical

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, hadn't even thought to try out Lakka. Have been playing around with retroarch in cfw and it's been pretty neat tho. Had no idea things were getting this far along

Oct 27, 2017
If this can play some GCN games at full speed... what's the chance of it getting good ps2 emulation at some point? Will my dream of an affordable portable ps2 finally be realized? :O

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Can someone please try REmake on the GC? I remember I tried it last summer when they just started with dolphin on lakka and it was basically unplayable.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Playing some Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, it's pretty playable imo. I could see myself replaying the game like this.

F-Zero GX however runs like trash.

Gonna test Pandora Tomorrow next as I don't have the original Splinter Cell on the GC :(

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone can try Lost Kingdoms 1&2, Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos 1&2 and Beach Spikers?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I mean will nintnendo block this in firmware updates? So a constant cat and mouse game?
Lakka is using a hardware exploit, it's a thing that happens before it hits any Nintendo software. They might be able to patch other methods that involve modifying their OS, but this bypasses that completely. It was fixed with a hardware revision around the middle of last year, though.

All this does it make your Switch think it's a Linux-based tablet.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all should try Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. It's playable and prettier than ever running at 720p in the small screen.
Which system was this on, or is it on arcade? I remember playing something like an X-men vs. Street Fighter or Capcom title on arcade years ago. Had so much fun with it, would constantly pick Wolverine but can't remember what it was called :(

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
What's the difference between the screenshot that got removed and the screenshot that has ff4-6 on it? I know the first was very clearly promoting piracy, but...doesn't emulating games require you make an illegal copy or illegally obtain a copy?

This is not meant to come off as accusatory, I just honestly don't fully understand the distinction and would appreciate a simple explanation of the differences...

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WAIT A MINUTE I CAN PLAY MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2 NEW AGE OF HEROES EVERYWHERE ???? Console of the generation.

(Now i just need F-Zero GX @ full speed)

JetstreamRorschach

One Winged Slayer
Dec 30, 2017
Zaragoza, Spain.
Which system was this on, or is it on arcade? I remember playing something like an X-men vs. Street Fighter or Capcom title on arcade years ago. Had so much fun with it, would constantly pick Wolverine but can't remember what it was called :(
Dreamcast! It was also released on the SEGA Naomi 2 arcade system and later on PS2 and Xbox, mind you, but Dreamcast is the way for emulation.

Btw, the game you played must be X-Men vs. Street Fighter, the first game in the Marvel Vs. Capcom series (X-Men Vs SF, Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Vs. Capcom, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 and so on). You can play it on the Switch, too.

Last edited:

JetstreamRorschach

One Winged Slayer
Dec 30, 2017
Zaragoza, Spain.
WAIT A MINUTE I CAN PLAY MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2 NEW AGE OF HEROES EVERYWHERE ???? Console of the generation.

(Now i just need F-Zero GX @ full speed)
You sure can. It's not perfect yet, as the framerate drops sometimes, but it's absolutely playable and looks astonishing!
eutaUYl.png

aEnWUUu.png
nZpd6a1.png

5PQwbOx.png
KQPU9fy.png

CXdEESb.png
ASGMc6m.png

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when the Wii came out 13 years ago and its Virtual Console was a billion times better than Nintendo's weak fucking offerings on Switch?
1. Because 3rd parties make more money selling their old games directly.
2. Nintendo is a company, so they have much more obstacles and limited resources in comparison to a high number of random people, releasing anything they want on the internet.

Oct 26, 2017
Man I haven't kept up with Dolphin emulator. Last I remember you needed a PC ten times as powerful as the Switch to get good results. Is this running in native res with no bells and whistles rather than higher res, per pixel lighting etc?

Dec 18, 2017
Big Brain Conspiracy: this is Nintendo's way of getting early adopters to buy the refreshes when they drop. Because lord almighty, that's what it's convincing me to do.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast! It was also released on the SEGA Naomi 2 arcade system and later on PS2 and Xbox, mind you, but Dreamcast is the way for emulation.

Btw, the game you played must be X-Men vs. Street Fighter, the first game in the Marvel Vs. Capcom series (X-Men Vs SF, Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Vs. Capcom, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 and so on). You can play it on the Switch, too.
Thanks. I'll have to look this up.