• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
As of December 26th 2020, according to sales-tracking website VGChartz, the Nintendo Switch has finally outsold the 3DS, hitting an estimated 76,285,948 units sold. The 3DS, released in 2011, has so far sold 75,906,986 units.

Source: NintendoLife

I remember when it was announced, we were discussing if it would manage to top the 3DS in sales. It just did, in less than 4 years.

It is now the 5th best-selling Nintendo console, behind the Nintendo DS, Wii, Game Boy/Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance. The Wii sold 101 million so it could end up taking that spot considering it still has probably 2 or 3 years and one revision in the horizon.

Congrats to Nintendo, it is an amazing machine and the success is absolutely deserved.

Last edited:

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Chartz is banned

Their "estimates" aren't good

Oct 28, 2017
I dont know if that source has improved over the years however, they used to pull numbers like lotto balls and said "facts"

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
while this is true and will be confirmed by nintendo in a few weeks, vgchartz is not a good source.

edit: before Q4 (beginning of october to end of december):
3DS - 75.94 million
Nintendo Switch - 68.30 million

so considering what a huge holiday season switch had, it's already pretty much guaranteed to have passed 3DS's number.

OP
OP
Leo

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
What is up with VGChartz? I actually saw the news in another site, but preferred to link to the original source.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I think Switch will be close to 80 million when they announce it on Feb 1st, but right now VGchartz isn't reliable.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost certainly true but this is from a less than reliable source.

OP
OP
Leo

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, i didn't know about VGChartz. If the moderation thinks it's best, just lock the thread until we have the numbers from Nintendo.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I feel like VGChartz is just about dead. I've noticed they are missing more and more numbers and the site runs like crap.

They haven't updated their TLOU2 numbers since June lol

Status
Not open for further replies.