• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
Hey, I'm very much looking forward to playing BotW 2 in 4K on my PC day-1 using a personal dump from a copy I will buy for my Switch.

Go off, I guess.

There's a bit more to it than owning a game's copy.
Emulation is only legal IF you own a copy of the game you're emulating AND you own the *exact* original hardware (Switch in this case) the BIOS was dumped from. This last bit is where 99% of ppl using an emulator are in violation of the fair use agreement. It's not enough to own A Switch. You must have dumped the BIOS yourself from YOUR own Switch.

That said, emulation *can* be legal, and it's not the topic of this thread.
It's great to see emulation progressing so fast.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
It would be great if mods could take a harsher stance on emulation discussions. The guidelines are clear, but nevertheless every thread still get derailed by trolls and meta discussions about said trolls. Of course, including this post as well. The topic is about a new Pokemon working on Yuzu, anything else is off-topic imo.

On-topic: I'm guessing that the new Pokemon games are technically not that advanced since support is so good from day 1? I'll have to check how it performs with for example Luigi's Mansion 3.

Jun 2, 2019
emulation *can* be legal,

Emulation is legal, but some things should be taken in consideration when speaking about current Gen consoles emulation. That's all
On-topic: I'm guessing that the new Pokemon games are technically not that advanced since support is so good from day 1?

It's not about being technically advanced or not. Since XY the games are running on modified versions of the same engine. If Yuzu can run Let's Go, then it will be able to run SwSh with hitches.

By the way yes, its derailing, intentional or not, but not trolling. I will stop talking about that however, don't want to risk my account right at a Pokémon game launch

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It might not perfect, but it is indeed an absurd step forward for emulation, like OP said. I don't think I've ever seen a game being even bootable on an emulator on launch day.

Piracy and other issues aside that some users might have, it's a huge achievement.
I think BoTW booted on day one in CEMU; though it took a long ass time to get playable in a fashion where the average person would even bother with it.

Side question about this stuff , can someone potentially play these hacked versions online? Just wondering because if people are going this far too emulate brand new games what's stopping them from completely modding them? I'd hate for some hacked shit to get traded in something like wonder trade and fuck up other people's games.
Given that you'd need original files dumped from your console in order to log in to play online with every emulator past PS2, anyone wanting to go through the effort to cheat or hack online is doing it on actual hardware.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
There's a bit more to it than owning a game's copy.
Emulation is only legal IF you own a copy of the game you're emulating AND you own the *exact* original hardware (Switch in this case) the BIOS was dumped from. This last bit is where 99% of ppl using an emulator are in violation of the fair use agreement. It's not enough to own A Switch. You must have dumped the BIOS yourself from YOUR own Switch.

That said, emulation *can* be legal, and it's not the topic of this thread.
It's great to see emulation progressing so fast.
Emulators these days emulate the bios itself and don't require dumps from the actual consoles; unless Yuzu is different.

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Emulators these days emulate the bios itself and don't require dumps from the actual consoles; unless Yuzu is different.

Do you know why? Logically it would make sense to use the BIOS to get a more accurate emulation, though it would require a user to obtain a proprietary binary. Perhaps it is then simply easier to write a clean room implementation?

Oct 28, 2019
These emulators require high-end gaming PCs to even run remotely well, and let's be honest at that point you either already own a Switch as a gaming enthusiast or you never have had the intention to buy a Switch in the first place. It's just cool to see what improvements to the game emulators can bring, I don't get why people get so upset about it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Do you know why? Logically it would make sense to use the BIOS to get a more accurate emulation, though it would require a user to obtain a proprietary binary. Perhaps it is then simply easier to write a clean room implementation?
No idea, I'm not a developer and my curiosity doesn't go that deep. I just know that the most accurate and compatible emulators, be it BSNES or Dolphin, don't require actual hardware dumped bios at all and none of the up and coming ones do, either. Saturn to PS2 systems are the only ones that require bios dumps, aside from MAME, but MAME is its own garbled mess of nonsense.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
RPCS3 gets around the BIOS situation since Sony actually includes the PS3 firmware files as a download online. It used to be that you had to supply the right files yourself.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
These emulators require high-end gaming PCs to even run remotely well, and let's be honest at that point you either already own a Switch as a gaming enthusiast or you never have had the intention to buy a Switch in the first place. It's just cool to see what improvements to the game emulators can bring, I don't get why people get so upset about it.
I personally don't consider them useful for enjoying a game here and now. An emulator needs at least a decade or more of support and care before it reaches a good level of accuracy across a large part of the library of the system, let alone across every single title.
And after that amount of time, the requirements have dropped to the point where a simple laptop can play them at full speed. As you argue, to play them on day one, you;d need a powerful PC, and at that point it's just cheaper to buy the game plus console, so it's not sensible. Especially as you get to experience it without crashes or bugs.

Emulators are only interesting for preservation. Claims that they are enabling piracy are ill-informed, and do more harm to the medium than good.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
People keep saying this when none of the Switches you can buy right now are hackable or wide open.

If I'm interested in piracy or hacking today and have to decide between trying to obtain some old Switch that night hard to get or just go the emulator route for a system I already own....it's clear that most would wanna go for Emulation. Especially if the goal is to pay nothing or as little as possible.

It's okay saying that Emulation doesn't neccesarily means piracy.....but the way you are framing it is is a bit naive. If Piracy and paying less are the number 1 reason a emulator will always be the preferred choice - especially when it's not that taxing on the hardware and can offer improvements.
Hey is the guy that always appears on emulation threads trying to derail things without purpose.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Hey is the guy that always appears on emulation threads trying to derail things without purpose.
It's a fact that you can't hack Switch consoles avaible in stores right now.

If you have issues with people stating facts or correcting misinformation that's on you.

I don't care what system you hack or if you Pirate every game in existence...it doesn't affect me, but let's not sugarcoat around the fact that hacking a current Switch isn't as easy as people always promote in these threads.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK

Emulators of old or simple hardware, yes.
Switch is way more complex and Yuzu still requires you to dump your own BIOS afaik.
In any case they don't provide you with neither games nor an illegally obtained BIOS, so what they're doing is perfectly legal and covered by the fair use agreement (at least in the US/Europe).

Using the actual BIOS is usually more accurate, but requires you to own the original device (and know how to dump the BIOS from it).
This might not be easy or cheap for old hardware, so emulating the BIOS as well is an option to legally workaround the issue.

Last edited:

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible. They've made so much progress. Lots of Switch games would look fantastic in 4K/60

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Mods...

Go ahead and ban me.

You honestly think you have a respected site and can welcome developers on this board when you advocate piracy?

And to say emulation does not advertise piracy is extremely narrow minded and quite frankly shows you do it yourself.

How dare you send me a message and warning to stop taking about this. It will take one, maybe two big names in the industry to call you out and you'll quickly change your tune.

Any Devs reading, you know that probably 90% of those viewing this thread had NO idea Switch emulation existed and probably all them went straight to Google to search for Switch Roms.

Fucking bunch of pirates.
8.6/10
Not bad, not bad at all.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Correct. The CPU that can run Switch emulator at acceptable level can get you a Switch Lite.
It's a fact that you can't hack Switch consoles avaible in stores right now.
Well not really. Here where I live, old hackable Switch and new Switch are still on shelves.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Emulators of old or simple hardware, yes.
Switch is way more complex and Yuzu still requires you to dump your own BIOS afaik.
In any case they don't provide you with neither games nor an illegally obtained BIOS, so what they're doing is perfectly legal and covered by the fair use agreement (at least in the US/Europe).
PS3 is far from simple, and I didn't need to dump bios files. All that needs is PS3 firmware, which is readily available from Sony's website. Cemu doesn't require bios files, either, unless you consider both of those simple.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Sony was right all along with PS3's Cell processor lol. Make your hardware as complicated as possible so your titles don't get emulated on Day 1!

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
And to say emulation does not advertise piracy is extremely narrow minded and quite frankly shows you do it yourself.

It is a weird grey area. I honestly have massive quibbles about championing currently active systems (mini-consoles included) being emulated on alternative hardware, but there are huge amount of factors at work that stop the conversation being completely binary. Getting a head start on game preservation (for when the platform reaches the end of its cycle), and how Switch as a platform pretty much offers a huge array of benefits that a PC emulation cannot deliver, so it is really knocking into sales?

I do wonder about what %age of people enthusing about getting the chance to "unlock the potential of Switch games" on PC are getting down to a shop, buying a cartridge and dumping it for their own consumption. Obviously anyone who outright states they are ripping games from the net gets banned, but who really would say it out loud.

But that is more a discussion for a "ethics of emulation" thread, rather than a "current state of play for emulator X".

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
especially when it's not that taxing on the hardware and can offer improvements

It can offer performance improvement but, and let's be frank here, the emulation and user experience of a non-native system on a PC pretty much sucks. And then you don't get the platform benefits of portability and convenience. Only the Switch hardware offers this and it is a general advantage for Nintendo not conforming to standard hardware for their consoles. In a nutshell: there are reasons to own a Switch instead of a PC and buy games for it, the audiences don't really rub up against each other. But, and as I mention above, I do wonder about the capabilities of people emulating Switch games. Have they bought the games themselves and have been dumping them themselves.

I tell you this much, I certainly didn't in the past. I made my own PS1 eboots from the net on my hacked PSP, grabbed UMD iso's. The lot. In the end, I moved to standard firmware and actually re-bought the games I had played, and I generally felt better about things at that point. I tend to go for the approach of "if it is for sale on the platform, I buy it on the platform".

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Mods...

Go ahead and ban me.

You honestly think you have a respected site and can welcome developers on this board when you advocate piracy?

How dare you send me a message and warning to stop taking about this. It will take one, maybe two big names in the industry to call you out and you'll quickly change your tune.

Any Devs reading, you know that probably 90% of those viewing this thread had NO idea Switch emulation existed and probably all them went straight to Google to search for Switch Roms.

such anger...don't let the dark side rule you frank. fight back.

and yeah I already knew about Yuzu...I just have no interest in emulating the Switch, or playing Pokemon on it.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever resolution you set it on, probably. If the emulator can get it to playable frame rates, then changing the internal resolution doesn't change performance much.

Depending on hardware, of course.

Uh, I guess I meant to ask what the game's current resolution is on native Switch hardware - like BotW is dynamic 900p on Switch. I heard SwSh are native 1080p on the Switch.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Mods...

Go ahead and ban me.

It's embarassing how wrong you are. Please leave.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope that someday people will see how important emulation is for game and system preservation. Projects like Mame are fascinating and important if you are really interested in gaming in general.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I hope that someday people will see how important emulation is for game and system preservation. Projects like Mame are fascinating and important if you are really interested in gaming in general.
Let them see what they want to see. I'll be busy playing MGS4 with fan made high res textures (in three years) and older titles with patched widescreen.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Mods...

Go ahead and ban me.

Get a life

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Does anyone know where the name "Yuzu" comes from??

Could it be a reference to Yuzuru Hanyu?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Put me in the camp that loves emulation. The dedication to creating them, the discovery that comes with it, being able to run your games in even higher fidelity than before and find cool details... Having fun with mods etc

Emulation has so many net positives i dont even think twice about the potential piracy impact which is so negligible thats its not even worth mentioning

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Mods...

Go ahead and ban me.

This has to be one of the funniest posts I've ever read on this site