• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I wish I played mine more. I bought it for Pokemon and BOTW, and have also played some of Mario Odyssey.

Other than that it just sits there. Games like Mario Kart or Smash have no interest for me because I'm not using it for communal multiplayer.

I guess I'll play BOTW2 and the new Pokemon...

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I agree OP. I'm a Switch-only gamer and I have no interest whatsoever in a PS5 or an Xbox. Switch is more than enough for me.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm... OK. I think the PS4's expansive library (both exclusives and multiplats) makes the Switch's seem like small potatoes, but everyone's got their preferences.

I can't see myself recommending the Switch to very many people. Being totally fair here, I've only been an owner for a short while and played just two games on the platform (New Horizons and Breath of the Wild), but regardless, it's... not exactly what I would call a good system.
  • The games are jaggy / just plain don't look very good from a technical perspective (but an artistic one, absolutely), and they have some pretty bad framerate issues (Breath of the Wild and Age of Calamity, oof)
  • The actual system and peripherals feel cheaply made with plenty of defects or issues (well-documented Joy-Con drift, Switch warping / bending, the D-pad on the Pro Controller that registers the wrong inputs, etc.)
  • The online is really bad, especially in Animal Crossing, where there's so many restrictions on what you can do in another player's town, that it hardly seems worth it
  • Nintendo refuses to put up a competent Virtual Console offering for people who want to play stuff from the N64 or GBA eras, the user interface is shockingly barebones (no themes, no music, nothing at all like the Wii's home screen with animated icons and music for every channel)
  • Games cost $60 almost always, rarely going down in price, and you have the company pulling bullshit, anti-consumer moves like a limited release window for Super Mario 3D All-Stars
  • Full of archaic systems: friend codes, lack of friend messaging, etc.
  • Very little support for apps, meanwhile other platforms offer Netflix, Disney Plus, and countless others
The list goes on.
Why would anyone want to take a recommendation on a console from someone who has played 2 games on a system that has been out for 3 years and has dozens of great games? I wouldn't take a recommendation for a PS5 from someone who has only played Astrobot or Demon Souls and the same rings true here.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
The switch is a great system but it doesn't run 3rd party stuff well and half the games are re-releases they're asking you to pay full price for. I would recommend them the switch as a secondary console to a PS4/PS5 and tell them to get a PC as well. That way you have switch and playstation exclusives and can play third party games on PC.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I wish I played mine more. I bought it for Pokemon and BOTW, and have also played some of Mario Odyssey.

Other than that it just sits there. Games like Mario Kart or Smash have no interest for me because I'm not using it for communal multiplayer.

I guess I'll play BOTW2 and the new Pokemon...

It has hundreds of quality games. Why not try Golf Story? SteamWorld Dig 2? A Short Hike? Hades?

As for the games being expensive. There's regular sales and I regularly pick up bargains on the eShop.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Why would anyone want to take a recommendation on a console from someone who has played 2 games on a system that has been out for 3 years and has dozens of great games? I wouldn't take a recommendation for a PS5 from someone who has only played Astrobot or Demon Souls and the same rings true here.
Notice how you didn't refute any of my points, you just attacked my position instead. Interesting argumentation strategy.

(Because my points still hold true regardless if I've played two games on the platform, or a hundred)

Last edited:

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Rather than letting some arbitrary rule decide what system I'd recommend to someone, I'd talk to them and get a better sense of their interests and make a recommendation based on that.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
I've recommended a Switch to my friends earnestly and selfishly, and honestly they've all gotten their money's worth out of it.

But it is still a crying shame it has a glaring hole when it comes to first person shooters and multiplayer lobbies. You're not seeing COD, or Battlefront/Battlefield, no Medal of Honor, the closest we have is Crysis remastered but even that doesn't have any type of multiplayer available.

As much as it's touted, Switch isn't a one-size-fits-all gaming solution (unless Switch also gets GamePass/Halo from Microsoft).

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
It has hundreds of quality games. Why not try Golf Story? SteamWorld Dig 2? A Short Hike? Hades?

As for the games being expensive. There's regular sales and I regularly pick up bargains on the eShop.
I need to, I was going to purchase Hades but then ended up getting stuck into something on Game Pass.

I was using it more when I was regularly travelling for work. Obviously a year of lockdown hasn't helped my Switch usage.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
The Switch can provide an experience that can only be imagined on PS5 and XSX too. Portability.
Not the same thing. Depending on your circumstances (data plan) you could use this:
www.playstation.com

PS Remote Play | Download the PS Remote Play app and stream PS5 and PS4 games to your device | PlayStation

Stream your PS4 and PS5 games to any compatible iOS or Android device, PC or Mac, and play using your DualSense or DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller. Download the free app now.
www.xbox.com

Xbox Remote Play | Xbox

Play games from your console straight to your PC, phone or tablet over the internet with Xbox Remote Play. Find and install new games even if you’re not at home.

And aren't Xbox Gamepass and PS Now apps supposed to be released soon? Then you won't even need a console running at home. Although you'd also need to subscribe to their service.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Friend: I want to get a new console Fo....

OP: Get a Switch

Friend: But I as going to say for CyberPunk

OP: Fuck that game. Get a Switch, there are lots of indie CyberPunk games on it

Friend: I also want AC Valhalla and...

OP: Pft, two words. Black.... Flag. Another two words, Best AC. Get a Switch.

Friend: I played that game in 2013...

OP: Yeah but did you ever play it.... WHILE WALKING!?! Get a Switch.

Friend: I also want to play Final Fantasy XVI in the future

OP: *sings* Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong. SWITCH! Yoshi, Kirby, Pokemon. SWITCH! Smash, more Mario, in go carts. SWITCH. *in pure high notes* Annnnimal Crossssing!

Friend: *walks away*

OP: Yeah you could do that and game at the same time if you get a damn Switch.....What a dick

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Same here but that's because all my friends are parents with young children, and I don't want them to addle their kids' brains on childhood gambling disguised as mobile games or Acti/EA/Ubi live crap.

Well most of them already have switches so it's a moot point.

Then again I have all three consoles, so if somebody's interested in something else I'd help them out there too, or let them play on my consoles to figure it out.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
If a person already has a PS4 or Xbox One and between a PS5, Xbox Series S/X, or Switch, I'd easily recommend getting a switch right now and holding off a year or so for the next gen consoles. They're both glorified QoL improvements with few truly groundbreaking games at the moment and I'm not confident that will change this year. Nintendo is looking to have a strong 2021 and there's a huge backlog of quality title, not to mention it has the benefit of being a portable too.

that said if they don't have a PS4 or Xbox One I'd recommend getting the one more of their friends have. 2021 is looking like a pretty isolating year for at minimum the first half and online gaming is an amazing way to do something online with friends. Xbox Gamepass has been huge for me and my friends.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If someone asked me, I'd just list the trade offs of each and let them decide for themselves.

Let's face it, there are no bad choices anymore. All the consoles are great these days. Maybe the Series S is the one thing I'd steer them away from unless they were on a limited budget.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Your second point should be indies, on the console side of things it is the destination for indie games and an absolute must if you have interest in them.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Same here but that's because all my friends are parents with young children, and I don't want them to addle their kids' brains on childhood gambling disguised as mobile games or Acti/EA/Ubi live crap.
Nintendo is light years away from being exempt when it comes to garbage practices designed to separate their player base from their money.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Switch is a great system but none of my friends IRL have any interest as the games they play either aren't on Switch, or are inferior on the Switch.

My point being, ask your friends what they want from a console and the type of games they enjoy, before blindly making a recommendation. It may still be Switch, or not.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Can't say I agree with you, OP. I wouldn't recommend the Switch to someone unless handheld play was incredibly important to them.

The Switch's first party library has been a major disappointment overall imo. Games are regularly lacking in content and/or very underwhelming technically. Or they're just safe and boring takes on the usual franchises. The games never get meaningful discounts, either. Almost all of the third party titles (including indies) are available on the other systems, and have better discounts when on sale. And then on the hardware side, the joycons will inevitably break, and weren't very good in the first place.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Eh, the switch is a secondary console to my Xbox. Dont care about portability, so I would never want to play a 3rd party game on switch.

Oct 25, 2017
I love the Switch my only issue is the Switch tax. First party games never have decent sales because Nintendo and even 3rd party stuff you can generally get cheaper on PSN or PC. Also the online sucks...can't even message friends. But the system itself has some great games on it.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Notice how you didn't refute any of my points, you just attacked my position instead. Interesting argumentation strategy.

(Because my points still hold true regardless if I've played two games on the platform, or a hundred, lmao)
Breath of the Wild runs fine. I put 60 hours into the game and the only place that had underwhelming performance was the Lost Woods was indeed bad. Age of Calamity is par for the course for Omega Force, I don't think I've played a single game of theirs on console that didn't run bad, so no arguments from me here. Games on the system in general don't look bad though. Mario, Dragon Quest, Astral Chain, Links Awakening, Splatoon etc all look great for the hardware. Someone who has only played 2 games on the system wouldn't have any personal experience with any of these other games, so again, why take the advice of someone like that? You don't have enough information to actually inform a potential buyer. If I wanted to buy one of the games you hadn't played, how would you be able to recommend them to me or not?

Your point about GBA or a Virtual Console is null when you're trying to compare it to the PS4 because it has, what, 12 PS2 "classics" and nothing else? I don't think the Nintendo Online offerings are great either and do wish they'd put an actual virtual console on, but if you're not going to hold Sony to the same standard it doesn't apply here.

Joy-Con drift is definitely an issue but I think the only console that hasn't had a ton of controller issues was the base Xbox One controller. I've had the same one for 5 years and it's been fine without any issues.I've had my PS4 for 3 years and I've gone through several controllers that have had their own drift issues.

Does the Switch still bend? I haven't heard of anyone having issues with that in a long time versus drift. I would also disagree with the Switch being "cheap."

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Your second point should be indies, on the console side of things it is the destination for indie games and an absolute must if you have interest in them.
Yes and no.

Yes, Switch will have easily my two most anticipated indies day one: Axiom Verge 2 and Silksong. But these games will ultimately come to the other consoles a little later. On the other hand, the likes of Kena, Stray, Tunic coming to Switch, who knows. And Game Pass is an indie fan's dream with so many quality indies day one - eg The Outer Wilds, SoR4, the upcoming Cyber Shadow.

So yes, Switch is an incredible indie console - especially given its portable factor. But as an indie fan it wouldn't be my only recommendation.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I only recommend Sega Saturn since you can play Saturn Bomberman with ten players. Those multi taps are pricy though.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Most of my friends wouldn't be as accepting as I am when it comes to < base PS4 visuals running at ~720p. Nevermind the "Switch tax" and lack of price drops. Nevermind that a Pro Controller is an essential purchase if you want to avoid drift, or use a good controller. Nevermind it still doesn't get a lot the 'tentpole' 3rd party releases.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
When you want to relax and play on the go, it's the easiest (perhaps the only) choice nowadays. That's as far as I'd go when recommending it instead of a PC or any other console: those are generally cheaper or have a larger library.

Anyway, if playing video games is how you want to spend your time, all of them are good options.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty difficult to argue against the Switch given that its first party offerings typically blow exclusives on other consoles out of the water and it is absolutely the place to play indie games, which typically blow major AAA releases out of the water with their sheer creativity, quality and variety.

Yeah you're missing out on a lot of big studio multiplatform releases but I'm not so sure that really matters, especially when we're talking about yearly releases like Assassins Creed, Call of Duty or FIFA. They're all so formulaic and repetitive that you could play an entry from five years ago and get the exact same experience.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Who's walking around asking people "hey man what gaming console should I buy"

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's not the case in reality in my opinion.
Each of the main consoles/services

1- Xbox- I recommed it to people who are looking to start up and play and are looking a lot of games due to gamepass being so great
2- Playstation- I recommend it to people who are looking for great console exclusives that are focused on single player
3- Steam- For someone who is willing to break the PC barrier entry for the best quality and best longterm deals
4- Switch- Portability and great 1st party games.

All offer different experiences with the Xbox/Playstation being the most similar of the 4.
I also only give this type of advice to the friends that have either asked me or expressed interest in getting into gaming.