• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just finished it. Enjoyed it mostly - the ensemble cast was really strong, it had great production values, and didn't try to do too much as so many fantasy shows tend to.

Weak points: a number of clumsy tonal shifts (going from grim brutal murder to twee earnest adventure shtick in a moment's notice is super jarring), an incredibly weak villain and I thought the final twist was contrived
that Bear's sister is the other woman's "daughter"

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I want to watch this, but honestly I'm so afraid of netflix' trigger happy attitude with cancelling shows that I don't want to invest on this show.

Same here. I find it hard to just start a new Netflix show these days just because of this.

I'm not sure I follow this argument. So you don't want to invest something like seven hours of your life in what's easily the best new series of 2021 (so far) because it might not get a season two?

So what if it doesn't get a second season? It's still a great watch.

And it made me discover the comics, and they haven't magically gone away.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Only finished episode 2 but my wife and I are loving it. It's super weird it's not being promoted at all by Netflix. Like others here, we had to search for the title. Why would Netflix bury their best series launched in 2021? They promoted the hell out of that mediocre dollar store Justice League of theirs but this one didn't even make the front page of their app.

Koddas

Apr 1, 2018
I absolutely loved this show. First show to come along in a long while that's really gripped me and left me wanting more. Sure it wasn't perfect and there were some questionable tonal shifts and story points but as an overall package it was hard not to get swept up in it all.

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
Great show and hopefully first season.
Feel like Netflix aren't pushing this as it's a Warner show that's on Netflix rather than an original show like Lupin or Shadow & Bone.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this alot. After that ending it will be a crime if there isn't a season 2.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not sure I follow this argument. So you don't want to invest something like seven hours of your life in what's easily the best new series of 2021 (so far) because it might not get a season two?

So what if it doesn't get a second season? It's still a great watch.

And it made me discover the comics, and they haven't magically gone away.
Also, if someone doesn't watch this because they're worried it'll get cancelled, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just binged this in like two days after a friend recommended it to me because "you love The Last of Us, right? Similar energy in this, sorta"

Umm, where's the second season? Like, it's out soon, right? Right???

EDIT: *reads thread* OH GOD

antipod

Oct 30, 2017
Finished it last night and I absolutely loved it. Sure, the villain as people have already mentioned were a bit weak (but not bad or so) and while the production values were high for the most part some CGI backgrounds were really bad. Like the shot of
Aimees hideout
in the last episode.

Also when I started to notice the vignette blur (whatever it's called) it started to bother me whenever it showed up lol.

Anyway, if it gets cancelled before season two this would probably be the show where it hurt the most, passing Odyssey 5. It really has been a highlight this far into the year.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
That fucking cliffhanger...they just had to do EIGHT episodes. What's wrong with 10?!

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That fucking cliffhanger...they just had to do EIGHT episodes. What's wrong with 10?!
I know right? I didn't even know it was the end until the next episode didn't start up afterwards. This better get a season 2. It's been staying in the top 10 so hopefully that bodes well for renewal.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I know right? I didn't even know it was the end until the next episode didn't start up afterwards. This better get a season 2. It's been staying in the top 10 so hopefully that bodes well for renewal.
Same here! The only reason I even knew about this show was because Nonso Anozie appeared on Pix11 for a virtual interview about it, and I saw a clip of Jep & Gus at the fire. Others in the thread said this didn't come up on their recommended but it did for me when I opened Netflix to start watching this.

& I purposely didn't read about shit when I started watching. Everything was blinding for me. Hell, I didn't even know it was based on another source material. Luckily it was easy to avoid learning anything, since Loki has been taking up all the attention haha
Probably to preserve budget.
I haven't done research on the making of this show, but WB's logo kept appearing after Netflix's, and if the former produced it, then I would think it had a decent budget going for it. It certainly seemed that way when watching the show.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Same here! The only reason I even knew about this show was because Nonso Anozie appeared on Pix11 for a virtual interview about it, and I saw a clip of Jep & Gus at the fire. Others in the thread said this didn't come up on their recommended but it did for me when I opened Netflix to start watching this.

& I purposely didn't read about shit when I started watching. Everything was blinding for me. Hell, I didn't even know it was based on another source material. Luckily it was easy to avoid learning anything, since Loki has been taking up all the attention haha

I haven't done research on the making of this show, but WB's logo kept appearing after Netflix's, and if the former produced it, then I would think it had a decent budget going for it. It certainly seemed that way when watching the show.
It was suppose to be on hulu and then it was moved to Netflix.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I mostly liked it. Acouple episodes near the middle were real fucking rough though. Particularly the train episode...

Like... the fucking horse thing. Why... whyyyy bring the body into your house? Your fucking horse kicked her. YOU DON'T NEED TO COVER IT UP! That may be one of the fucking dumbest... *sigh*

Last couple episodes kinda saved it. It was fine near the start, but I was close to dropping in those middle episodes. But it ends real well. Bear came off real bad when she was with her crew, and felt so much like a "teen actor trying to be more dramatic than makes sense." But when she starts just interacting with Jep and Gus, she's so much better. Also, these big cataclysmic names for events that happened like 10 years ago... Fucking come on. lol

Curious as to where this goes.

Also I love that Bobby is practical. He's creepy as shit, but it's rad. Wanna give the little guy a hug.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I got to this episode with "Bear" and the Animal Army…this is rough. As a fan of the comic I don't like this aspect.

Bear is so annoying.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed this and have been recommending it to folks. I am aware of the problems with it and I can chart them out or whatever, but the overall thing is just so charming that I don't really care, I guess. I feel like the show just leans into what it is. The whole vibe feels pretty fresh (for me), since most of what I watch trends toward the hopelessly dire.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
IMO this was the best show on Netflix, more people need to watch this

It's just a bummer this seemed to come out of nowhere with no marketing and support

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
It was okay. The core of Gus and Jepperd is great, but it gets rougher beyond that. As a huge fan of the comics, I'm not big on a number of the changes. I can live with the show needing to soften a lot of the edges, but you can also see all the executive notes about developing the mystery, making the world very small (ie. direct connections between the characters), etc. It's very much about ticking all the boxes that most every other mainstream sci-fi/fantasy show has had to do post-Lost.

The show also suffers from problems that other recent Netflix shows have, like Shadow and Bone. They feel the need to pack in a lot of moving parts and plotting without giving space for the scenarios and character dynamics to really develop, which means you don't really feel the stakes or ramifications. Things go from Step A to Step D in an instant, so the emotional impact is limited. For instance, nothing about Bear losing control of her group, and thus losing her found-family and friends, lands for me because it happens mere scenes after meeting her. We barely see how she was with them, so it doesn't hurt when the group falls apart. Similarly, it's hard to feel much about the zoo preserve and all the responsibility for all those hybrids when they barely even hint at how Aimee rescued those hybrids, never show any others besides Bobby until the evacuation, etc.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this yesterday. Interesting concept, but it felt cut a little short - it seemed like all of the threads came together a little too quickly for my liking. That being said, I really liked the The Last of Gus parts with Jepp and Gus, and I really hope it gets a second season, maybe with 10 or so episodes. It definitely seems like the only reason that hasn't happened is the WB connection.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
So here are a few points of discussion for me.

*The show makes it a point that Gus is able to talk, where most hybrid children can't. But I just assumed this is because most hybrid children were just killed, and Gus was one of the few that survived long to start talking. Same with Wendy. Is it really supposed to be a special ability?
*In the season finale, Adi mentions how Gus is "more human" than animal. I always just thought it was a design choice to keep Gus' animalistic features as just his ears and antlers, but now it sounds like it is purposeful. If so, what is the meaning of some hybrid children being more human or less human/vice versa more or less animalistic?
*While most of society has "crumbled," there does seem to be some level of order left in the world, since Jepperd had those little silver coins that seemed like new currency. So what is the new system? How do you rightfully earn those coins and how integrated is this new system of exchanging if they have value?
*In biology, a hybrid means an offspring of parents that are two different species (but same genus). That doesn't really seem the case here since we saw Jepperd's wife and Bear's adoptive parents were all regular humans who had "hybrid" children. So did Birdie actually create Gus or did she discover him some other way? And does it mean anything more that Gus thought the deer at Yellowstone was his mother and also saw a deer appear as some sort of omen in episode 2 with the other cabin in the woods?
*Is Rani truly uncontagious? If so, how did Doug get infected at his party? The impression that episode left me was that Rani was just being arrogant but ended up infecting him when she hi fived him during charades. I was really pissed off the next episode when it looked like neither she nor Adi felt any guilt about what happened. Unless she really is uncontagious, then how exactly did Doug get infected? Was it from someone else at the party? Because I think we see them all again when they leave Adi & Rani for dead and they all seemed fine before Abbot kills them.
*Adi seems to be a good man at his core for not wanting to experiment on hybrid children, but it is very heavily implied that his character development has him turning to another villain in the season finale since he did not hesitate to start experimenting - albeit we don't see what happens next, but the line he had with Jepperd in the flashback scene (something like "you'll be surprised at what you're capable of when it's for someone you love") has me thinking he'll do what it takes to free Rani
*Bear's animal army doesn't make any sense to me. There were at least twenty of them together but they all seemed like teenagers. How does someone so young become so resourceful so soon and band an army of likeminded people together? I say soon because it's even harder to believe if she was significantly younger when recruiting everyone, because then they would all just be very young kids.
*Speaking of Bear's army, I didn't understand the shakeup at the end. Gus saves Jepperd, and then they just start fighting among themselves...why? Who even started the fight? How did that fight start? Was it really too out of control for the hybrid child to say spare the former Last man?

I have more, but this is everything off the top of my head right now

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
So here are a few points of discussion for me.

*The show makes it a point that Gus is able to talk, where most hybrid children can't. But I just assumed this is because most hybrid children were just killed, and Gus was one of the few that survived long to start talking. Same with Wendy. Is it really supposed to be a special ability?
*In the season finale, Adi mentions how Gus is "more human" than animal. I always just thought it was a design choice to keep Gus' animalistic features as just his ears and antlers, but now it sounds like it is purposeful. If so, what is the meaning of some hybrid children being more human or less human/vice versa more or less animalistic?
*While most of society has "crumbled," there does seem to be some level of order left in the world, since Jepperd had those little silver coins that seemed like new currency. So what is the new system? How do you rightfully earn those coins and how integrated is this new system of exchanging if they have value?
*In biology, a hybrid means an offspring of parents that are two different species (but same genus). That doesn't really seem the case here since we saw Jepperd's wife and Bear's adoptive parents were all regular humans who had "hybrid" children. So did Birdie actually create Gus or did she discover him some other way? And does it mean anything more that Gus thought the deer at Yellowstone was his mother and also saw a deer appear as some sort of omen in episode 2 with the other cabin in the woods?
*Is Rani truly uncontagious? If so, how did Doug get infected at his party? The impression that episode left me was that Rani was just being arrogant but ended up infecting him when she hi fived him during charades. I was really pissed off the next episode when it looked like neither she nor Adi felt any guilt about what happened. Unless she really is uncontagious, then how exactly did Doug get infected? Was it from someone else at the party? Because I think we see them all again when they leave Adi & Rani for dead and they all seemed fine before Abbot kills them.
*Adi seems to be a good man at his core for not wanting to experiment on hybrid children, but it is very heavily implied that his character development has him turning to another villain in the season finale since he did not hesitate to start experimenting - albeit we don't see what happens next, but the line he had with Jepperd in the flashback scene (something like "you'll be surprised at what you're capable of when it's for someone you love") has me thinking he'll do what it takes to free Rani
*Bear's animal army doesn't make any sense to me. There were at least twenty of them together but they all seemed like teenagers. How does someone so young become so resourceful so soon and band an army of likeminded people together? I say soon because it's even harder to believe if she was significantly younger when recruiting everyone, because then they would all just be very young kids.
*Speaking of Bear's army, I didn't understand the shakeup at the end. Gus saves Jepperd, and then they just start fighting among themselves...why? Who even started the fight? How did that fight start? Was it really too out of control for the hybrid child to say spare the former Last man?

I have more, but this is everything off the top of my head right now
To respond to a couple points...
Hybrids are just what they're commonly called, don't look at the term as being used scientifically.

I don't think you're supposed to read people as showing symptoms of the Sick within minutes of exposure. That neighbor was infected before the party. As for how, you can just pin it on a traveler or something coming through town.

The animal army stuff was rather silly, but I think what they were going for was that the other teens were so wrapped up in the dogma they'd created that they couldn't handle any deviation. Plus, they're immature kids, so they react in dumb ways. It was just a very miniature bit of Lord of the Flies there.

It's hard to answer some of the other things because not enough info was given at this point.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't intend to watch this but I found it surprisingly enjoyable. I think I might be kind of a sucker for lonely kid surviving stories. I thought it was funny how his eventual companions both talk to each other like cranky teenagers.

Cute show. Will watch season 2.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
To respond to a couple points...
Hybrids are just what they're commonly called, don't look at the term as being used scientifically.

I don't think you're supposed to read people as showing symptoms of the Sick within minutes of exposure. That neighbor was infected before the party. As for how, you can just pin it on a traveler or something coming through town.

The animal army stuff was rather silly, but I think what they were going for was that the other teens were so wrapped up in the dogma they'd created that they couldn't handle any deviation. Plus, they're immature kids, so they react in dumb ways. It was just a very miniature bit of Lord of the Flies there.

It's hard to answer some of the other things because not enough info was given at this point.
Your second point does make sense, looking back since Adi asked Doug where he got his pecan pies which may have been to sort of get him to admit he may have ventured too far from home to get it

The kids in the animal army may be immature, but they are adept killers. In fact the beginning (or ending, can't remember) of that episode made it seem like the "her" that Abbott had been chasing was Bear, when later it is revealed that the "her" they found was Aimee, the leader of the hybrid sanctuary. They are a dangerous group, and I think it's too big of a loose end to just have their storyline end there without showing us what happened with the army after Bear left. FYI, I haven't seen/read Lord of the Flies whether it is just a book or has an adaptation to it

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
I made the mistake of reading all volumes of the graphic novels before watching the show because this is vastly different and lackluster compared to the comics.

Mar 19, 2020
Show was okay. I'll watch the next season if Netflix doesnt cancel it.

I found that it lacked development and time to breathe. It was cutting back and forth a bit too much and some scenes felt like they were cut short when lingering on them a bit more would have resulted in some more emotional resonance. I liked the characters but I dont feel like they developed them enough to the point where I felt any real attachment to them.

Visually lovely though.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
The whole thing with Bear kinda reminded me tonally of all of those other delinquent characters that were introduced in that season 2 episode of Stranger Things

I made the mistake of reading all volumes of the graphic novels before watching the show because this is vastly different and lackluster compared to the comics.
I wouldn't say that's a mistake, now you got the best of both worlds

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Noped out halfway through episode 2.
It's visually great, but I'm bored (and also there's too many plot holes that bother the fuck out of me in stuff that doesn't sufficiently capture my attention).

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Lol yeah you can. You absolutely can and should call people out on their bad opinions. Having an opinion formed and then shared, doesn't mean it's not open to criticism.
I think what they meant to say was that since the user just isn't into family friendly shows (that just isn't their taste) they should be allowed to not like it. that's their opinion. it's fine for you to disagree but you can't really tell them they're wrong for having their own preferences in tv shows.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I think what they meant to say was that since the user just isn't into family friendly shows (that just isn't their taste) they should be allowed to not like it. that's their opinion. it's fine for you to disagree but you can't really tell them they're wrong for having their own preferences in tv shows.
Probably. It was three weeks ago and I barely remember making the post. I remember reading the post I was responding to differently so if it wasn't edited, then I just misunderstood their point, which wouldn't be the first time.

Obviously people are free to have their own opinions, just as opinions shared are not free from criticism.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
JFC I can't stand the narrator. I'd like the show a lot more if they'd get rid of him altogether, basically spelling out the theme and how you should feel at the end of every episode. It's ridiculous.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Just the last episode left to watch, and I'm loving it. Feels very The Last of Us, which is a good thing. I'd love to see a game set in this universe.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
First and last two episodes were great. The other episodes had the classic netflix pratfall of having a dull 90% of the episode and ending on an exciting cliffhanger that gets resolved in a mostly uninteresting way in the first 5 minutes of the next episode,

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Enjoyable show, better then expected.

Few issues we have

I know it's typical for a show to have kids who ignore advice or commands but this show dials it to 12 almost all the time. Gus is a fucking liability haha. Everytime he should just sit still, he fucking moves. I know it's normal for shows but this is just the worst I've seen

I had an issue with the teenagers disliking adults for climate impact yet they have TVs and computers running 24 7...

Rest is decent, fun watch overall.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyable show, better then expected.

Few issues we have

I know it's typical for a show to have kids who ignore advice or commands but this show dials it to 12 almost all the time. Gus is a fucking liability haha. Everytime he should just sit still, he fucking moves. I know it's normal for shows but this is just the worst I've seen

I had an issue with the teenagers disliking adults for climate impact yet they have TVs and computers running 24 7...

Rest is decent, fun watch overall.
yeah, that was bothering me too. I was thinking, shouldn't Jepperd know better than to trust Gus sitting still on the bench by himself? Why not just take him with you?

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished this, and loved it. It started out kind of slow, but ended up being really interesting, and I really like all the characters. I really hope there's gonna be a second season, because I really don't wanna read the comic since I hate the art style, and from what I've read, it's much more dark and depressing which I really don't need.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished this, and loved it. It started out kind of slow, but ended up being really interesting, and I really like all the characters. I really hope there's gonna be a second season, because I really don't wanna read the comic since I hate the art style, and from what I've read, it's much more dark and depressing which I really don't need.
Yeah it seems like the source is quite a bit different than the show, but if you do ever get curious there are YouTube videos that do a good job summarizing the synopsis.