• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif
Hahaha

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the "catwoman's movements (animation) is too sexualized" argument up in here, out of all female comic book characters, isn't she pretty much a seductive, visually distracting, S&M jewel thief in PVC that also happens to have some fighting chops? I don't usually care for Anne Hathaway's dramatic acting, but she nailed it as Catwoman with her psychical acting in one of them Nolan Bats movies.

tumblr_pleyw6I4rf1v85sfao2_400.gifv

Don't you even think how overdone and exaggerated it is? You say Anne Hathaway as example, but she never took the character to that extreme, she was kind of sassy, but this is basically teen horny level of female depiction.

Is really ridiculous.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I guess it's Batman with a feminine walk and demeanor and Catwoman with a stoic male gait. I don't see what's crazy here. Just a mildly amusing gender swap. There are guys in the world that act like Catwoman and girls that act like Batman and vice versa. It's all good.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Of course Catwoman ain't real, but the effect of her portrayal and other women in media is. That's why you can't argue that due to some fictional traits they have to be "animated" a certain way or are justified in sexualization. Fiction has infinite potential to do better, but for that to happen, artists first need to understand the problem and then proceed to make steps torwards improvement.

But that is where the issue lies. In fact seeing people defend it with saying "Catwoman is like that" or "That's how women move" shows how inherently normalized sexualization in media still is to this present day.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
Wow, that's cringe. Amazed that people are trying to defend Catwoman's animations with "buh thas the character!" Reminds me of how you would act out a "sexy" character, when playing as a kid. Over the top and comical.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's your problem—it's not "all about" that, and there's room for restraint when it comes to animating her movements. It's not all-or-nothing the way you're continually trying to frame it

It's literally what the complaints in this thread are about, I don't know how that's a mischaracterisation. If you want this model swap to not look weird you'd have to do more than just tone Catwoman down

Wow, that's cringe. Amazed that people are trying to defend Catwoman's animations with "buh thas the character!" Reminds me of how you would act out a "sexy" character, when playing as a kid. Over the top and comical.
Well it is a comic book game

VulcanRaven

alt account
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
The character isn't a real person. They don't need to adhere to one characteristic and nothing more

Her screen time throughout the series is nothing more than than "sexy temptress thief" even when there's opportunity for more than that. There's compelling backstory in the first game she showed up in, but you'd never know that without listing to audio logs.

If it sucks (and it does) people will want it to be better. Why run defence for this of all things 😂

because some people (myself included) like the "sexy temptress thief"?

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

I don't care for the sexy temptress thief Motif but I do love Catwomen and Batman if only because they are kinky for each other. Most other of that subtype go for the goody too shoes and the uptight guys that makes no sense for them to be attracted to.

Catwomen and Batman make perfect sense if only because for all of Batmans Uptight behavior, he down for kinky shit and fucking on public rooftops lol

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Of course Catwoman ain't real, but the effect of her portrayal and other women in media is. That's why you can't argue that due to some fictional traits they have to be "animated" a certain way or are justified in sexualization. Fiction has infinite potential to do better, but for that to happen, artists first need to understand the problem and then proceed to make steps torwards improvement.

But that is where the issue lies. In fact seeing people defend it with saying "Catwoman is like that" or "That's how women move" shows how inherently normalized sexualization in media still is to this present day.

The notion that one-note characters like that shouldn't be anything more is what's most baffling. It's not only normalised, it's considered sacrosanct by some poor people

It's literally what the complaints in this thread are about, I don't know how that's a mischaracterisation. If you want this model swap to not look weird you'd have to do more than just tone Catwoman down

The animations look weird on Catwoman too, this just makes it more apparent and highlights issues with the general portrayal of the character. Does that make sense?

Not everyone is OK with the only playable woman in main game being nothing more than a goofy sexpot like you are

Do you object to her having character moments and dialogue that go beyond that?

She's been playable as part of the main game in two entries—all characters deserve better than what Catwoman got story and character-wise

Last edited:

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
Last edited:

VulcanRaven

alt account
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
The notion that one-note characters like that shouldn't be anything more is what's most baffling. It's not only normalised, it's considered sacrosanct by some poor people

The animations look weird on Catwoman too, this just makes it more apparent and highlights issues with the general portrayal of the character. Does that make sense?

Not everyone is OK with the only playable woman in main game being nothing more than a goofy sexpot like you are

Do you object to her having character moments and dialogue that go beyond that?

She's been playable as part of the main game in two entries—all characters deserve better than what Catwoman got story and character-wise

No of course not, even though I thought she was great in city I would never object to better dialogue and character moments that's what she's gotten

I don't think that has to correlate with toning down the cat woman walk either though, they can go exist

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
But this model swap will never look not odd unless you do that.
From what I read in other threads I also thought people had more of a problem with sexualized characters who actually aren't sexual themselves. In case of Catwoman being sexual is an inherent part of her personality and I don't think that needs to change
Is the catwoman in injustice a less accurate portrayal because her pelvis isn't breaking while she walks?

Last edited:

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
the longer video with Batman as Catwoman walking into Riddlers fightroom/puzzleroom also shows how totally stiff Batman is modeled and how we just don't notice it, or don't think it looks totally odd.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
We need more of this to prove how ridiculously sexualized female characters can be.

hasn't/doesn't catwoman act/acted like this across multiple media formats since the creation of the character?

also, is it inherently wrong to emphasize the sex appeal of some female characters?

as long as there's a broad spectrum of representation, I think it's aiiight, but eh

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
hasn't/doesn't catwoman act/acted like this across multiple media formats since the creation of the character?

also, is it inherently wrong to emphasize the sex appeal of some female characters?

as long as there's a broad spectrum of representation, I think it's aiiight, but eh
Jessica Rabbit-esque animation is not the only type of sex appeal though.

And the spectrum for women characters within Arkham Knight is not too broad. You get regressive tropes for each of the most prominent women in the main game

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
the longer video with Batman as Catwoman walking into Riddlers fightroom/puzzleroom also shows how totally stiff Batman is modeled and how we just don't notice it, or don't think it looks totally odd.
A lot of that is because he is animated with a cape and his specific silhouette in mind.It
It is inherently wrong to in a sea of really lame storylines written specifically to appeal to straight (and white) men have a character in a 2015 game captured for literally the entire game in an unironic damsel in distress scenario only for her to offer sex upon rescue. Catwoman and the women in general were always the weaker part of the excellent writing in the Arkham Trilogy.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is the catwoman in injustice a less accurate portrayal because her pelvis isn't breaking while she walks?

Isn't the broken pelvis just because the models don't line up? Same might happen in injustice. Also isn't she in injustice more of a soldier than just a catburglar? so I'd say that it is a change in characterisation

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Same might happen in injustice. Also isn't she in injustice more of a soldier than just a catburglar? so I'd say that it is a change in characterisation
It looks weird on Catwoman too fam. That's what people have been saying.
Isn't the broken pelvis just because the models don't line up?
It wouldn't be as much as an issue with a more reasonable walk cycle.

Also isn't she in injustice more of a soldier than just a catburglar? so I'd say that it is a change in characterisation
One that resulted in a more interesting and less embarrassing character sooo 🤷‍♂️

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the broken pelvis just because the models don't line up? Same might happen in injustice. Also isn't she in injustice more of a soldier than just a catburglar? so I'd say that it is a change in characterisation
Yes it is, its blown way outa proportion.

There it is on her model no where near as over the top because well durr.. her model is thinner and smaller.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I didn't notice it much considering everything in the Arkham games is turned up to 11, then pushed to 12. Just look at their interpretations of Bane and Killer Croc.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I didn't notice it much considering everything in the Arkham games is turned up to 11, then pushed to 12. Just look at their interpretations of Bane and Killer Croc.
Killer Croc and Bane were better when they were something more than one-note cardboard cutouts too.

Bane was an awful PS1 Spider-Man Rhino rip-off in Asylum, was marginally better in the City side-mission, and felt like a full-fledged character in Origins. Croc was better in the Knight DLC because he had motivations and interests beyond the player character, something Catwoman could've used too

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Jessica Rabbit-esque animation is not the only type of sex appeal though.

And the spectrum for women characters within Arkham Knight is not too broad. You get regressive tropes for each of the most prominent women in the main game

Not saying it is the only type of sex appeal, but as someone with admittedly limited contact with the character, her mannerisms there seem pretty consistent with what I know of the character. That's not to say that characterizations can't or shouldn't change, but maybe some characters are just meant to be/have Jessica Rabbit-esque sex appeal, and that's ok

And I meant across gaming, not strictly to the Arkham series. I know that major work needs doing though

also, I'm a man, so chances are my biases obfuscate how damaging it is

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
i don't care about women portrayed as stupidly sexy

i care about the fact that basically all video game depictions of women are stupidly sexy first and foremost with afterthought personalities

i'm an average girl with low self esteem. i just want to see more women who aren't beautiful. i can be a person worthy of respect and admiration without being hot. i don't have to be sexy to be a main character.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goes to show how female character sexualization is so over-the-top and ridiculous that we should all be laughing at it, yet it's been so normalized everyone just rolls with it.

I mean yes your right but Catwoman has always kind of played the role of seductress especially when it comes to Bruce. Her overt sexuality has always been an element of her character.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
The character isn't a real person. They don't need to adhere to one characteristic and nothing more

Her screen time throughout the series is nothing more than than "sexy temptress thief" even when there's opportunity for more than that. There's compelling backstory in the first game she showed up in, but you'd never know that without listing to audio logs.

If it sucks (and it does) people will want it to be better. Why run defence for this of all things 😂
Selina is so much more than "woman who acts sexy at all times" but you wouldn't really get that playing the Arkham games. It's off putting because in those games she has to be sexy for the straight male player at all times. In her own comics she actually gets to be a person and while she's sexy she's not hyper-sexualized in the same way. Of course that depends on the writer/artist, but DC usually sees some backlash when they hypersexualize her.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you even think how overdone and exaggerated it is? You say Anne Hathaway as example, but she never took the character to that extreme, she was kind of sassy, but this is basically teen horny level of female depiction.

Is really ridiculous.
I think both of the said Catwomans are presented well in their respective mediums. *shrug

Last edited: