• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he does at all, the older Ian gets, the more guttural his voice sounds (which I like). Or maybe it's intentional.

He actually sounds closest to his Rebels appearance.

He does sound a bit more guttural and aged, yes, but he still sounds a lot like RotJ Sheev. Perhaps it's the way he says "Skywalker" in that trademark way.

In RotS there were parts where he sounded just like his classic self, such as when he says "learn to use the Dark Side of the Force" in this clip, but everything afterwards sounds too guttural, growling and processed, considering this is 20 years before RotJ.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Eeeeh, I'm with George RR Martin on this. Star Wars was never great. It was just novel at the time for putting space fantasy story on-screen. ESB was good and everything after that was mediocre (although extremely entertaining in some instances)

After how bad books 4 and 5 were of ASOIAF, I am not sure GRRM should be criticizing Star Wars.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
He does sound a bit more guttural and aged, yes, but he still sounds a lot like RotJ Sheev. Perhaps it's the way he says "Skywalker" in that trademark way.

In RotS there were parts where he sounded just like his classic self, such as when he says "learn to use the Dark Side of the Force" in this clip, but everything afterwards sounds too guttural, growling and processed, considering this is 20 years before RotJ.

It's mostly the delivery because Ian was smart enough to know that he couldn't deliver the lines that Lucas gave him like he did in ROTJ so he adapted to it hence his even more over the top performance. He plays Palpatine like it's the best time of his life in ROTS.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

In RotS there were parts where he sounded just like his classic self, such as when he says
"Learn to use the Dark Side of the Force"in this clip, but everything afterwards sounds too guttural, growling and processed.

That scene you've picked is the only bit specifically where Ian's voice was processed and pitched lower.

I'm not sure why Lucas did that, but in the novelization, Palpatine's voice in that particular scene is described as demonic and "channeling the dark side" when choosing Anakin's sith name.

Perhaps that was Lucas's way of showing Sheev "speaking" through the dark side.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
It's mostly the delivery because Ian was smart enough to know that he couldn't deliver the lines that Lucas gave him like he did in ROTJ so he adapted to it hence his even more over the top performance. He plays Palpatine like it's the best time of his life.

Ian's enthusiasm is infectious and always makes his scenes fun to watch in the prequels, but why do you think he couldn't deliver his lines like RotJ? He does in some instances, but chooses not to in others.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Classic theme and smart to use the little good, non-meme prequel nostalgia as a part of the marketing.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Ian's enthusiasm is infectious and always makes his scenes fun to watch in the prequels, but why do you think he couldn't deliver his lines like RotJ? He does in some instances, but chooses not to in others.

Case by case but some of the lines that Palpatine delivers are way too ridiculous that I don't think would've worked if he used the more restrained delivery that he did in ROTJ.

"POOOOWAH!!! ULTIMATE POWAAAAAH!!!!"

"NO! NOOOO! YOU HAVE LOST!!!!"

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That scene you've picked is the only bit specifically where Ian's voice was processed and pitched lower.

I'm not sure why Lucas did that, but in the novelization, Palpatine's voice in that particular scene is described as demonic and "channeling the dark side" when choosing Anakin's sith name.

Perhaps that was Lucas's way of showing Sheev "speaking" through the dark side.

I always thought that was the intention. He's not just talking, he's got weird, unnatural gurgles and noises happening all over. The dark side is using him like a vehicle.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yea it was but I didn't say anything? I won't say any more just couldn't help myself

I get it, but it's just annoying man, like a kid saying "I know something you don't".

Now every time you "speculate" on something like you've done a couple times before I'll think it's an absolute certainty because you read the leaks.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought that was the intention. He's not just talking, he's got weird, unnatural gurgles and noises happening all over. The dark side is using him like a vehicle.

Yep. Palpatine has one of the most well realized performances in SW.

In TPM and AOTC he's pretty reserved, and Ian sounds the closest to his natural sounding voice.

During the later half of ROTS, once the facade is up, Sheev is gleefully happy, and why wouldn't he be? His grand plan after decades of fruition is finally paying off.

In ROTJ, he's been doing this Emperor shit for a long time, so he's more relaxed, but he still has his bouts of maniacal insanity.

Hopefully TROS continues the character's evolution in a natural way.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Eeeeh, I'm with George RR Martin on this. Star Wars was never great. It was just novel at the time for putting space fantasy story on-screen. ESB was good and everything after that was mediocre (although extremely entertaining in some instances)
I'm starting to come around to this opinion as well. There are way more bad movies than good in the franchise now and really only one film was great.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I like how some people here and in the past threads work so hard to mention how this fits in with the leaked plot spoiler which means that this movie will suck and yet don't say it outright. Instead they dance around it.

I don't want to know how this new trailer confirms x or how this one scene confirms y. But if you have to mention the leaked plot so badly then say it outright and move on.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, because Rogue One and The Last Jedi never happened.

Rogue One was great. TFA we got some fighters action but no fleet battles. TLJ space battle was a so stupid. The bomber sequence was so dumb, and then we get nothing buy Kylo and two fighters wrecking everything on their own. We didn't get much of a fight, just 2 hrs of ships going in one direction.

I was going to say it could be one she stole from their apparent little adventure on a Star Destroyer, but then I remembered she apparently leaves on the Falcon (after the jump).

So possibly? Does he have a special TIE?

He gets a new tie in this movie too

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Was it because of bombs in space?

No because of the pure stupidity of the entire battle, nothing made sense about it at all. The visual guide info about the movie also makes it worse. The dreadnaught instead of taking out the resistance only means of escape by shooting it's flagship then being able to mop up the resistance, wastes it's time on blowing up an abandoned base, and even if it wasn't abandoned, not taking out their escape means was dumb. The dreadnaught also is apparently not capable of movement? When the Resistance bomber fleet comes at it, they panic and have to stop the bombers, yet simply don't move the ship away? They sit there and let the resistance bombers slowly approach. There is other ships at the battle as well, not a single one moves forward to engage or cut off the resistance attack? There is no naval logic involved in the battle at all. According to the visual guide all defensive batteries are on the top of the ship, the bottom has the auto cannons, so why did Poe attack the upper batteries himself when he could have simply attacked the lower undefended half and taken out the auto canons and stopping the dreadnaught threat right there? This stood out right away as stupid tactics but then the guide book for the movie made it worse when it explained how the bottom of the ship was not defended.

Not to mention the entire time this is going on the Resistance fleet is just chilling in the background while a huge FO fleet of star destroyers and hundreds of fighters just sits there freaking about 7 bombers.

The whole sequence made no sense, it was written to just focus on the bomber sequence while ignoring all logic and the entire situation of the scenario. It looked cool I guess, but then it's over?

We move onto the follow up space battle sequence which has Kylo and two fighters alone take out almost the entire resistance fleet without issue, but suddenly are told to stop cause they can't be covered anymore? They were doing just fine without help before that scene, and the resistance no longer had any fighters to run interception, yet we then get the ridiculous space chase after that. Naval warships being faster than fighters makes zero sense and would make them pointless in combat then, but either way it goes against all known SW lore as well.

You also have the fleet compliment of fighters, what happened to them? From conservative count based on TFA each Resurgent SD has at minimum 24 fighters each, while the source material and guide books says there is far more. Just that alone would mean the chase fleet had at MINIMUM 216 Tie fighters, not including however many were on Snokes flagship, which we see was full of them too. Yet they could not cover or attack the resistance somehow? They also knew at all points where the resistance fleet was and going, instead of simply having ships hyperjump to cut them off, they just follow. Yet the movie shows people can jump to and from the fleet chase at will, they even jump perfectly in between the fleets at one point for the Rey delivery. So at no point the FO decides to simply stop the chase?

TLJ space portions were not entertaining cause they were logic nightmares. Even when you take SW for popcorn entertainment, a person can't get past how dumb the framing of it all was. I may be biased as I'm big into naval warfare and naval fiction in both real settings and sci fi, so that everything about TLJ grated on my love of the topic

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Almost the exact same TV spot but sheev is all..

"LET THE FINAL BATTLE BEGIN".

Sheev be like

QCK5x5D.gif

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Duel of Fates is my favourite Williams jam. I remember it getting released a short while before TPM with a video on-line and being so hyped for TPM. The hype was wasted but that tune could make anything exciting.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
No because of the pure stupidity of the entire battle, nothing made sense about it at all. The visual guide info about the movie also makes it worse. The dreadnaught instead of taking out the resistance only means of escape by shooting it's flagship then being able to mop up the resistance, wastes it's time on blowing up an abandoned base, and even if it wasn't abandoned, not taking out their escape means was dumb. The dreadnaught also is apparently not capable of movement? When the Resistance bomber fleet comes at it, they panic and have to stop the bombers, yet simply don't move the ship away? They sit there and let the resistance bombers slowly approach. There is other ships at the battle as well, not a single one moves forward to engage or cut off the resistance attack? There is no naval logic involved in the battle at all. According to the visual guide all defensive batteries are on the top of the ship, the bottom has the auto cannons, so why did Poe attack the upper batteries himself when he could have simply attacked the lower undefended half and taken out the auto canons and stopping the dreadnaught threat right there? This stood out right away as stupid tactics but then the guide book for the movie made it worse when it explained how the bottom of the ship was not defended.

Not to mention the entire time this is going on the Resistance fleet is just chilling in the background while a huge FO fleet of star destroyers and hundreds of fighters just sits there freaking about 7 bombers.

The whole sequence made no sense, it was written to just focus on the bomber sequence while ignoring all logic and the entire situation of the scenario. It looked cool I guess, but then it's over?
The dreadnaught literally starts the battle out of range of the main fleet, hence they were lining up to fire on the base itself. And they make it a specific point that Hux fucked up that battle with his orders. A mistake he makes later in the film. The only time Hux was right was when he tol Kylo not to get distracted, showing he learned from the last couple skirmishes.

We move onto the follow up space battle sequence which has Kylo and two fighters alone take out almost the entire resistance fleet without issue, but suddenly are told to stop cause they can't be covered anymore? They were doing just fine without help before that scene, and the resistance no longer had any fighters to run interception, yet we then get the ridiculous space chase after that. Naval warships being faster than fighters makes zero sense and would make them pointless in combat then, but either way it goes against all known SW lore as well.
They were being covered. Kylo went on a reckless mission out of anger at Snoke and would've been killed.

You also have the fleet compliment of fighters, what happened to them? From conservative count based on TFA each Resurgent SD has at minimum 24 fighters each, while the source material and guide books says there is far more. Just that alone would mean the chase fleet had at MINIMUM 216 Tie fighters, not including however many were on Snokes flagship, which we see was full of them too. Yet they could not cover or attack the resistance somehow?

They also knew at all points where the resistance fleet was and going, instead of simply having ships hyperjump to cut them off, they just follow. Yet the movie shows people can jump to and from the fleet chase at will, they even jump perfectly in between the fleets at one point for the Rey delivery. So at no point the FO decides to simply stop the chase?
The story literally answers this:
HuxWhat is the point of all this if we can't blow up three tiny cruisers?
PEAVEY: They are faster and lighter, sir. They can't lose us but they can keep at a range where our cannons are not effective against their shields. ARMITAGE HUX: Well, keep up the barrage. Let's at least remind them that we're still here.
PEAVEY: Very good sir.
ARMITAGE HUX: They won't last long burning fuel like this. It's just a matter of time.

It's almost like the villains are overconfident space nazis or something.

If you nitpick any star wars space battle to this degree you'd come to the same conclusion. Space battles in SW don't exist to make "logical" sense right down to having sound effects and explosions in the vacuum of space. Especially when we're talking about WW2 tactics being used in a battle. Also, if you recall correctly, the dreadnought was out of range at the very beginning of the film, hence it aiming at the resistance base.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

You also have the fleet compliment of fighters, what happened to them? From conservative count based on TFA each Resurgent SD has at minimum 24 fighters each, while the source material and guide books says there is far more. Just that alone would mean the chase fleet had at MINIMUM 216 Tie fighters, not including however many were on Snokes flagship, which we see was full of them too. Yet they could not cover or attack the resistance somehow? They also knew at all points where the resistance fleet was and going, instead of simply having ships hyperjump to cut them off, they just follow. Yet the movie shows people can jump to and from the fleet chase at will, they even jump perfectly in between the fleets at one point for the Rey delivery. So at no point the FO decides to simply stop the chase?

TLJ space portions were not entertaining cause they were logic nightmares. Even when you take SW for popcorn entertainment, a person can't get past how dumb the framing of it all was. I may be biased as I'm big into naval warfare and naval fiction in both real settings and sci fi, so that everything about TLJ grated on my love of the topic

Why didn't the empire just take the deathstar out of hyperspace closer to Yavin 4? Why didn't they send more tie fighters after Luke? The Death Star was full of them! I guess the end of a New Hope sucks?

Dec 31, 2017
Fuck that music is so good.

One thing the prequels absolutely got right.

Damn I'm kind of sad this is the last mainstream star wars film for a while. I remember when TFA came out was so excited that a new trilogy is here. Well I'm incredibly hype for this now either way.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The dreadnaught literally starts the battle out of range of the main fleet, hence they were lining up to fire on the base itself.

Literally makes zero sense, the fleet is in orbit above the planet. Even visually the fleet was closer than the base. Again the fleets are for no reason stationary as well yet they are ready to blow away the Radus once it recharged the autocanon. The dialogue and what is presented does not match up at all.

They were being covered. Kylo went on a reckless mission out of anger at Snoke and would've been killed.

Kylo and 2 fighters take out multiple capital ships alone and completely destoryed all air coverage the Resistance had. He takes out the bridge of the flagship without taking any fire the entire time and yet peels off for nonsense reasons, again why were the hundreds of other fighters not deployed when the whole point of fighter craft in naval warfare is to play intercept roles.

They literally say at some point that they might as well not waste the resources since victory was inevitable. It's almost like the villains are overconfident space nazis or something.
If you nitpick any star wars space battle to this degree you'd come to the same conclusion. Space battles in SW don't exist to make "logical" sense right down to having sound effects and explosions in the vacuum of space. Especially when we're talking about WW2 tactics being used in a battle. Also, if you recall correctly, the dreadnought was out of range at the very beginning of the film, hence it aiming at the resistance base.

Sure let's just write the First Order to be the most incompetent villains ever. Who somehow take over the galaxy. The FO wants to destroy the Resistance, then suddenly they are ok with being patient? They had them where they wanted instead they go and lose a dreadnaught to their stupidity, and simply not moving their ships. I said they don't make perfect sense, but there is a limit to how much logic leaping one can do in a movie. As for ww2 tactics, not sure what the issue with that is, modern tactics have not changed much since then really in how combat works, heck our modern naval world has more high tech options available to it than star wars presents but that is why the simplicity of it should be easy to adhere too. The battle in ANH and ROTJ were simple, there wasn't much to them and they worked. ROTJ's only real issue ever was the fact that rebel fleet size is inconsistent and they somehow keep having more ships than what is seen on screen originally, but that is part of budget issues really. The biggest logic problem in ROTJ for the fleet battle was the star destroyer fleet being held back, which was explained quite well with the trap to use the DS2 on it even if cartoony.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Is thinking using a song from a prequel 20 years ago for the final movie in a sequel trilogy lazy = salty?

Weird, I literally just rolled my eyes and thought "wow really?" No salt here.
Again, why are you even in a SW thread if you don't care about SW at all? You know what I do when I see threads i'm not interested in? I don't click on them? Like, is your thanksgiving really not going that well that you need to be hate watching a tv spot for a kid's film under the guise of "ugh I don't really care"

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Literally makes zero sense, the fleet is in orbit above the planet.
The dreadnought arrived late to the battle.
Kylo and 2 fighters take out multiple capital ships
No they didn't.

Sure let's just write the First Order to be the most incompetent villains ever.
The empire lost because of ewoks. TBH for one am completely blindsided by the idea that the overconfident space nazis are still overconfident space nazis.
2d4b8512681d65d721f0d63b9c6c1507.gif

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Why didn't the empire just take the deathstar out of hyperspace closer to Yavin 4? Why didn't they send more tie fighters after Luke? The Death Star was full of them! I guess the end of a New Hope sucks?
We are supposed to ask these questions only for the Disney trilogy. And Disney things in general because they are evil.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why Snap? It could Nien Numb, Wedge, or Lando.

Assuming the ship that crashed is the one Poe is reacting to (entirely possible that's not the case though), it's not Lando since he's in the Falcon. And it's just more likely that he would have a pained cry over the guy in his squadron than someone else.