• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah.... I feel like maybe, just maybe, execs at Disney don't understand why people don't love where the franchise is headed.

And while there may be some morons out there who don't like it because of Rey, I would imagine for the majority of fans it has little to do with her at all.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
As a black person I have a far bigger issues to worry about than a white guy being the MC in a Jedi game. So excuse me if I find some of the outrage to all this unnecessary.

Whats more disgusting is the mental gymnastics people have pulled to dismiss the strides in representation that SW has taken over the years all because the game has a white guy as the MC

Yes I acknowledge Stig's response is poorly worded. But I'm also mature enough to understand that his words aren't the entire picture to the process of choosing the MC for the game. I see nothing wrong with what I said being the reasoning as to why they chose a male protagonist. Instead of getting upset maybe you should take a minute to see that:

1) Cal's mentor is a Jedi Knight and a black woman
2) Cal's rival or antagonist is a woman. No doubt a very powerful menacing force in the game
3) They literally have Forrest Whitaker reprising his role which is....what do you know...a person of color

But lemme guess, Stig and his team are racists and sexist huh...are we forgetting how diverse Apex Legends is??? Seems people are so outraged by this that they completely and utterly forget the diversity already present in this game and other Respawn games.
Can we cut the bull? Are we on a video game forum? Ok? Then let's discuss video game representation. His words SHOULD be taken at face value BECAUSE of history.

Using Apex Legends to show "diversity" is bullshit. It's a friggin multiplayer character shooter; thus no Main Character. If it didn't have a diverse set of characters just like EVERY other game in its genre, there would be a bigger issue...

ALSO, if I can't play the Main Character as a POC, then balanced rep STILL has a long way to go...
we're in a thread where people are throwing out shit like "Whitey McWhite", it's not really surprising
He is still a white guy in the end, which is what the thread is discussing. If Arthur Morgan was a POC you defenders would have a leg to stand on...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Ok but when that shit was said, you decided that suddenly alien characters who were never defined as black womenI will say this though, if you thought I didn't feel represented by the white women in the series then i definitely don't represented by some aliens that you trotted out as an example the moment i decided to buck up and say something. Not just that ,I was talking about the lead character not just any black women you can magically make up to prove whatever point you were trying to make while at the same time coming off mad disrespectful.
I can just let a black woman explain how I felt playing that game and about representation growing up:

Here's a quote:

"One of the things I remember as a child connecting with Star Wars is one of the characters spoke Kikuyu, which is a Kenyan language. And I remember feeling like that made Star Wars mine, it made Star Wars Kenyan for all I was concerned," she said.

Adi Gallia is not a character with blue, orange, or green skin. Or stylized enough that anyone without google searching would ever assume she was anything but a black woman who's a jedi. But this is all besides the point. People feel differently about representation. I imagine many people like myself felt similar growing up and not getting "traditional" representation compared to today. Yes video games have had an issue with casting black women as the lead, buy dishonored btw. However, that doesn't mean that we should just downplay people who are trying if the don't specifically cast a PoC as the lead.

We get it, the darkies complain too much I guess.
If you lads could stop talking to me as if i'm not black man who has an extensive history of pushing for representation in games that'd be great. đź‘Ť

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, what is your argument then?

Maybe im confused, but everyeone is pointing out that there are a myriiad of white male protags and that should be adressed more, and that EA is behind and extremely slow to resolve it.
Literally EA's last Star Wars games featured one of the most atypical characters of the generation when it comes to representation. I'm arguing against the extensive downplaying and hot takes such as yours. EA is actually one of the more progressive publishers when it comes to the projects they greenlight and who they reach out to as an audience.

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Is Darth Vader a nigga because James Earl Jones voiced him? I mean, in my head canon he's my negro. But, that's my head canon. Maz Kanata is not an example of diversity. LIKE HOLY FUCKING SHIT, are you really arguing that she is?
A black woman being cast to play a character is an example of diversity wtf are you talking about. You realize how easy it would've been for a white woman to play Maz? Diversity isn't about just the characters themselves but also who's playing them as black women are frequently marginalized in Hollywood.
Not to get into this, because jesus christ I'd love to see one star wars thread that doesn't turn into a shitshow, but I think this particular point can be resolved by acknowledging that you two are talking about representation in two different respects.

BossAttack is talking about diegetic representation, as in within the story itself. Anakin Skywalker is clearly a white man, Maz is an alien species that doesn't qualify as any human ethnicity. Representation in this context would include Mace Windu, but not Darth Vader.

Crossing Eden is talking about out-of-story representation, aka people of color being given the job to represent the characters on screen in some way. Darth Vader may be a white man, but he is speaking with James Earl Jones voice. Maz may not be a black woman, but she is speaking with a black womans voice and facial capture.

These are both kinds of representation, but they are highly distinct from one another and should not be equated. Does that sound fair to both of you?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
give me a game with Cad Bane
maxresdefault.jpg

Or hat guy
latest

Oct 26, 2017
Alienated? It's fucking Star Wars. Cal looks boring as fuck, it would have been quite easy to not make a generic character with such a rich universe.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Yes because i've never been marginalized and am totally not black. 🙄

if you know what it means to be marginalized and on the side of the oppressed, you should realize that what you're doing in this thread is carrying water for people who like to do the oppressing and maintain the status quo. The arguments you're making are the same ones that people who would like to keep things as they have been and still are.

Bowling Pin

One Winged Slayer
Dec 9, 2017
Had to look this up because folks are reluctant to say the character's name and game for some reason. Never touched BF2 because of, you know, the gacha jank.

BwNh6aj.jpg

This is cool I guess, but it's marred by the clusterfuck of what surrounded BF2.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I don't really see the issue with the guy because Rey explanation. I get how marketing/demographics work.

I'm guessing there is data out there showing that in role playing games with character creation out there people overwhelmingly tend to want to roleplay as the most human looking characters.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you two should be more upset by people of color being denigrated and marginalized in video games, especially star wars games, than some post on the internet calling out the dominance of white men in Star Wars videogames.

How about you don't tell people what they should be upset about? I certainly have no interest in taking advice from someone with the toxic attitude that people of a certain skin color "need to go." That will never be a welcome opinion. You can push for more representation without taking that shitty stance, but I won't presume to tell you what to do.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Frankly it's genuinely surreal to see other websites claim that the game is SJWfied because it has a black woman in it and PoC and women in the background and then coming to Era and seeing that apparently the game is not diverse enough due to it's protagonist.

Eden, I am with you when it comes to not prejudging the game solely because of the race and gender of Cal; a wait and see approach in the face of what had come to pass surrounding the "generic white guy" commentary for RDR 2.

However, and this is purely my personal viewpoint, Arthur Morgan's presence could be justified to more folks given the period of time the game portrayed. Furthermore, it lent likability because Arthur was portrayed as a progressive, a man who rejected the innate privileges of his birth. There is a difference between a black person protesting against racism in a (majorly) white advantaged society and white person who becomes aware of his/her privileges, the consequent inequalities and protests alongside the black person; it lends greater credence. And thus, for RDR2, diagetically it came off as a great addition to relay the realities of socio-economic, socio-political and racial inequities.

Insofar as SW is concerned, subsequent to the acquisition of Disney, things have definitely improved. After all, SW is a story strewn across multiple worlds and as such diversity makes perfect diagetic sense. Also, while I myself did not realize that Ezra or his Jedi master, Kanan were not white, it stands to reason that in more urbanized systems, majority of "human" population may actually be of mixed descent.

With regards to games however, I am afraid that more needs to be done. I know you mentioned Jedi Fighter featuring a black Jedi master but (and putting Disney acquisition aside) the lineage of SW games have mostly represented white men as playable protagonists; even KoTOR I's and II's canonized protagonists are white man and woman respectively.

And as previously mentioned, non-diagetically speaking, having a non-white, non-human and/or non-male as side and/or supporting characters are no substitute for lacking the same for the playable character. As for other websites, given the insularity of SW-fandom (same as GG and comics-gate) there are magnitudes of hatred and so I pay them no mind because if it were up to the folks like them, Disney would have never been able to pull off non-game media SW projects featuring women and PoCs in positions of power and authority.

PS: I am still on the wait and see train and again, my earlier disappointment subsided right up until Stig's comments.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
if you know what it means to be marginalized and on the side of the oppressed, you should realize that what you're doing in this thread is carrying water for people who like to do the oppressing and maintain the status quo. The arguments you're making are the same ones that people who would like to keep things as they have been and still are.
I know exactly what those arguments are to the point that I literally have a bingo card dedicated to them for discussions about representation and the braindead arguments people make against it:
CfdlO3E.png

I'm very explicitly not making anything resembling these arguments let alone thinkings them. As you'll notice I haven't even defended the dev's words and criticized them myself. I'm very adamantly against the lazy at best, harmful at worst, hot takes and keep popping up ITT. Which ahs turned into, "EA is behind the times when it comes to representation." When literally the opposite is true and several of their staff and even people who didn't work on their games but people assumed they did were harassed as a direct result.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Here's what i'm not saying

"Representation in star wars is 100% perfect and everyone should be fine."

Here's what i'm actually saying

"We should acknowledge the context that this is the first thing from Star Wars not named Solo that has starred a white protagonist since the Disney acquisition as thanks to Kathleen Kennedy the series has done a metric fuckton to become more diverse especially when it came to leading roles across all of it's media. From leads, to supporting characters, to background characters across as many mediums as possible. Therefore, assuming the worst of a developer working closely with Disney on a project for having a white protagonist is misguided and at the worst of times, straight up harmful rhetroic, (see all the bullshit about Freddy Prinze Jr. being white a couple pages back or a poster flippantly calling characters whitey mc white despite gingers not being represented in games either and how cultures that aren't american aren't very represented in the gaming industry, retroactively making things like AC, apparently not diverse because the characters are white).

That's cool, but the part people take issue with isn't really them assuming the worst from the devs here, it's reading what they said.

"Stig Amussen: Yes we talked about doing an alien creature, we talked about different gender... we arrived at where we were because at the time Rey was kind of the thing for Star Wars and it made a lot more sense to have a male protagonist. And ultimately we didnt go with alien race...we felt like, no pun intended, it would alienate a lot of people. We wanted to make sure there was a real human connection to the character that we have in the game."

This sounds like a quota - perhaps its not what they meant it to sound like, but why even phrase it like this in the first place? I might be mistaken but they had already talked about choosing to use the actor's face back at E3. Why not just restate that choice instead of talking about Rey?

As to "harmful rhetoric" I can see why some people might consider it off-putting to say things like "Whitey mcWhiteface" or to complain about "generic" white guys, but like come on. These people aren't the ones infiltrating American Police institutions and setting up concentration camps whilst normalizing white supremacy, like the people who complain about diversity are. The people in this thread are not radicalizing youth to support fascism. They are frustrated with the state of things and it's a little unfair to do that to them. As to gingers, that's a hair color. As to other cultures that's fair. I'd say more but I have to go to work.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's just tone deaf to listen to one black woman but not even consider the words of another

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Eden, I am with you when it comes to not prejudging the game solely because of the race and gender of Cal; a wait and see approach in the face of what had come to pass surrounding the "generic white guy" commentary for RDR 2.

However, and this is purely my personal viewpoint, Arthur Morgan's presence could be justified to more folks given the period of time the game portrayed. Furthermore, it lent likability because Arthur was portrayed as a progressive, a man who rejected the innate privileges of his birth. There is a difference between a black person protesting against racism in a (majorly) white advantaged society and white person who becomes aware of his/her privileges, the consequent inequalities and protests alongside the black person; it lends greater credence. And thus, for RDR2, diagetically it came off as a great addition to relay the realities of socio-economic, socio-political and racial inequities.
I mean if any game would have a commentary on inequality I'd expect it to be the one where you fight space nazis being written by people who worked on Mafia 3....ofc I don't expect it to be that overt but this is SW, the last game was about as subtle as a brick with it's ideas about fascism.

Insofar as SW is concerned, subsequent to the acquisition of Disney, things have definitely improved. After all, SW is a story strewn across multiple worlds and as such diversity makes perfect diagetic sense. Also, while I myself did not realize that Ezra or his Jedi master, Kanan were not white, it stands to reason that in more urbanized systems, majority of "human" population may actually be of mixed descent.

With regards to games however, I am afraid that more needs to be done. I know you mentioned Jedi Fighter featuring a black Jedi master but (and putting Disney acquisition aside) the lineage of SW games have mostly represented white men as playable protagonists; even KoTOR I's and II's canonized protagonists are white man and woman respectively.
I never agued that more doesn't need to be done. Just that we should ignore that they are doing more. BF2 and Jedi Fallen Order are both examples of games with a further push toward representation. I don't believe that the Cal flies in the fact of that, even when a dev gives an awful off the cuff answer during a rapid fire Q & A.

And as previously mentioned, non-diagetically speaking, having a non-white, non-human and/or non-male as side and/or supporting characters are no substitute of lacking the same for the playable character. As for other websites, given the insularity of SW-fandom (same as GG and comics-gate) there are magnitudes of hatred and so I pay them no mind because if it were up to the folks like them, Disney would have never been able to pull off non-game media SW projects featuring women and PoCs in positions of power and authority.
Hell they even did that in a game as Iden Versio is a commander and the leader of her squad instead of playing second fiddle.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Bad excuse. Also the design they have for the protag is super lame, some generic white kid. I bet we are going to run into a few bad ass characters through the game and every time we will go " Can we be this char instead of this lame ass kid?"

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This sounds like a quota - perhaps its not what they meant it to sound like, but why even phrase it like this in the first place? I might be mistaken but they had already talked about choosing to use the actor's face back at E3. Why not just restate that choice instead of talking about Rey?
It sounds way less like they thought they had a quota and way more like they didn't want to overshadow, or much more likely, be overshadowed by the existence of a character like Rey.
As to "harmful rhetoric" I can see why some people might consider it off-putting to say things like "Whitey mcWhiteface" or to complain about "generic" white guys, but like come on.
Again, it starts to become harmful when we start doing things like stating that a PoC doesn't count because their VA doesn't share the exact same skin tone or how white skin in general is the main issue with representation when it's a way bigger and more nuanced subject than that. That sort of reductionist logic dictates that the only reason Kassandra is an example of diversity is because she's a woman, when it's also about the fact that she's Greek and voiced by a Greek actress and speaks Greek, or that any of the white male AC protagonists don't count as representation because they're white and male and we should flat out ignore the cultures presented. The issue with representation in games for a LONG time was that the vast vast majority of protagonists were caucasian brunette american males. And I feel that for devs to get the message about what issue take issue with It's good to acknowledge context. And yes in this case part of the context is that the vast majority of SW protagonists were either customizable or white male, and that was an issue. However, i'm not willing to put the devs over the coals just yet unless we get several star wars games and they all feature white males as the protagonist and it starts to seem like Iden was a one-off occurrence instead of in this instance, Cal being the one off occurrence.

Last edited:

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Yes, she's wrong.

Is Darth Vader a nigga because James Earl Jones voiced him? I mean, in my head canon he's my negro. But, that's my head canon. Maz Kanata is not an example of diversity. LIKE HOLY FUCKING SHIT, are you really arguing that she is?

Ha, beat me to it. See above.

There hasn't, the character is a Tholothian.
He is arguing in bad faith; just because he's black and his representation quota has been filled...fuck everyone else that don't feel fully represented in video games...

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I mean if any game would have a commentary on inequality I'd expect it to be the one where you fight space nazis being written by people who worked on Mafia 3....ofc I don't expect it to be that overt but this is SW, the last game was about as subtle as a brick with it's ideas about fascism.

Having never played M3, holy shit @Gif!

In and of itself, the story of SW has been about defeating fascism and so there is at least that but lest I be remiss and perhaps a touch arrogantly dismissive, most of that flies right over the heads of the lowest common denominators who view these a little more than "fun" SW game. I mean, Disney has essentially capitalized on the love many folks have for the fashionable fascists, Empire.

I never agued that more doesn't need to be done. Just that we should ignore that they are doing more. BF2 and Jedi Fallen Order are both examples of games with a further push toward representation. I don't believe that the Cal flies in the fact of that, even when a dev gives an awful off the cuff answer during a rapid fire Q & A.

It is amazing how quickly I forgot about SWBFII's Iden after talking about her actor's heritage last night.

Perhaps I am more cynical than you (I think I truly am) but while I do not necessarily see Cal's presence as a regression, I also do not see it as progression. Rather, after hearing Stig's explanation, to me it came off as a sort of status quo so that lowest common denominators feel like they are not being replaced by "political correctness" after feeling betrayed by Ep IX. So, as a safe choice to placate all parties, the playable protagonist is what he is and the supporting caste is what it is.

Hell they even did that in a game as Iden Versio is a commander and the leader of her squad instead of playing second fiddle.

I really need to watch SWBF II's campaign playthrough on YT.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
He is arguing in bad faith; just because he's black and his representation quota has been filled
i-Lo This is what I mean by harmful rhetoric that assumes the worst of individuals btw.
Having never played M3, holy shit @Gif!

In and of itself, the story of SW has been about defeating fascism and so there is at least that but lest I be remiss and perhaps a touch arrogantly dismissive, most of that flies right over the heads of the lowest common denominators who view these a little more than "fun" SW game. I mean, Disney has essentially capitalized on the love many folks have for the fashionable fascists, Empire.
I mean yes they know that stormtroopers look cool and capitalize on that, but we're talking about the same peeps who greenlit a multiple million dollar marketing campaign to make audiences think:
WuDyGNH.gif

only to make an entire campaign about how space nazis actually suck which concludes with the head space nazi insisiting that he literally deserves to die for his life choices and for drinking the fascism kool-aid.
iWfA9oy.gif

So even if stuff flies over the head of viewers, the last thing i'm expecting anything other than scathing commentary on fascism ike SW has always done and frankly a demo centered around how they're sucking the life out of a planet and enslaving the inhabitants and we respond by arriving and aiding the people who're fighting back is a good start.
Perhaps I am more cynical than you (I think I truly am) but while I do not necessarily see Cal's presence as a regression, I also do not see it as progression. Rather, after hearing Stig's explanation, to me it came off as a sort of status quo so that lowest common denominators feel like they are not being replaced by "political correctness" after feeling betrayed by Ep IX.
Yea again to me, after listening to the podcast, didn't feel that way at all. Rather they didn't want a new jedi character to overshadow or be overshadowed by Rey, which is an oversimplification of what was obviously an incredibly lengthy design protagonist to arrive at the final design, cast member, etc. On top of that, I see the very clear efforts to diversity that tends to fly over the heads of people but were very clearly deliberate decisions made by the devs to fit within the vision of Disney when it comes to their attempts to diversify SW. So seeing PoC and women in the background when all of those characters could have easily been white men and let's be honest if this game was being made for the last generation of consoles WOULD be all white men, that matters to me. I'm seeing the effort. As that was the case with BF2 and it's the case with SW in general as an IP. It's not perfect no. Nothing is, but I see the effort.

Last edited:

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know what you meant, but both EA and Disney have terrible creative oversight and PR, so whichever one is responsible to me is irrelevant. They're both guilty, as far as I'm concerned.

Because that's rational. Guilty of what designing a game? There's nothing to suggest the main character was ever going to be an Alien or a Woman, so I don't see the issue here, let them make the game they're going to make and reserve judgement till it's out. Why is that so hard?

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I'm very explicitly not making anything resembling these arguments let alone thinkings them. As you'll notice I haven't even defended the dev's words and criticized them myself. I'm very adamantly against the lazy at best, harmful at worst, hot takes and keep popping up ITT. Which ahs turned into, "EA is behind the times when it comes to representation." When literally the opposite is true and several of their staff and even people who didn't work on their games but people assumed they did were harassed as a direct result.

Cool, I appreciate your clarification, but I don't think anyone is out for EA as such and we can definitely appreciate that this multibillion company has had a better track record recently than others. But that doesn't excuse the fact that (most likely) Respawn chose to divorce themselves from the diversity push in Disney's rendition of Star Wars by having yet another white dude. And that is within the context of Star Wars video games that has a very bad record when it comes to their protagonists.

So you see, what people are criticizing is the fact that Respawn chose to release a Star Wars video game with a white dude jedi, thereby putting themselves in the context of white dude jedis always dominating Star Wars video games, and video games more broadly. They could have gone in a million different directions, but instead opted for the most pervasive option of the all - one we've seen a billion times already, while others have rarely if ever (such as black women) existed. At the same time, having a white dude jedi in a Star Wars videogame goes against Disney's own push for diversity, so in a sense, this move goes against the rest of the current Star Wars ideas.

How about you don't tell people what they should be upset about? I certainly have no interest in taking advice from someone with the toxic attitude that people of a certain skin color "need to go." That will never be a welcome opinion. You can push for more representation without taking that shitty stance, but I won't presume to tell you what to do.

With the way you're taking offense when white men are called out for dominating video games the last 30 years, I am sure you care about the plight of the marginalized. You seem more concerned with how white people are addressed rather than the persistent marginalization of people of color in entertainment and specifically video games.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the female protagonist stuff is pretty insulting in itself, but to just assume that people would be turned off by an alien protag...

Maybe Stig wasn't the right person to lead this game after all.

But he's right. As dumb as it is, it would turn off more people than it wouldn't. They only stand to lose because of boring, unimaginative people who, despite making no effort to get immersed in games they play, whine at the concept of playing something other than themselves. It's hard enough to get these people to play as a woman and those who still complain seem to be shrinking in number, but ultimately, a woman is a human and most of these people have interacted with one or two of them in their lives. Until woman protagonists are much more the norm, something like an alien is going to be decidedly niche.

This is not to say any of this is good or desirable, but it is the realities of someone trying to make a game to appeal to a massive audience, like a star wars game would be expected to attempt.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad they didn't cop out and make a generic PC who can be male or female, I'd rather single player stories like this make a choice and live by it. The story is better usually with a voiced protagonist who has deep and interesting interactions with other characters and the world whether its Lincoln in Mafia 3, Lara in Tomb Raider, or Peter Parker in Spider-man. I don't want devs to start thinking creating generic PCs is the solution to this "problem", which isn't a problem for most of the market really.

Sure, stuff like Mass Effect or Skyrim totally works with a voiceless, generic PC but I only want to play 2-3 of those kinda games a year, they seem MUCH harder to create and pull off really well, and I much prefer strong story and character driven games for the majority of SP-only games I buy.

I mean Mafia 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn proves you can lead with any kind of main character, I assume both games sold really well. Up to more devs to create a wider range, and more importantly for consumers to follow through with purchases. I know stuff like Prey and Dishonored 2 just sold "meh", wonder how well the upcoming Wolfenstein game will do compared to its predecessors. Bethesda seems kinda incompetent/cursed though when it comes to marketing and release dates.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the way you're taking offense when white men are called out for dominating video games the last 30 years, I am sure you care about the plight of the marginalized. You seem more concerned with how white people are addressed rather than the persistent marginalization of people of color in entertainment and specifically video games.

I'm not offended in any way by people pointing out how most roles in entertainment have been historically dominated by white people, whether intentionally or not. Them's the cold hard facts, so there's really nothing to be offended about there. It's your inflammatory language saying that people of a certain skin color have "got to go." That's garbage and being annoyed by that rhetoric does not say anything about one's concerns or desire for more representation.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
i-Lo This is what I mean by harmful rhetoric that assumes the worst of individuals btw.

I mean yes they know that stormtroopers look cool and capitalize on that, but we're talking about the same peeps who greenlit a multiple million dollar marketing campaign to make audiences think:
WuDyGNH.gif

only to make an entire campaign about how space nazis actually suck which concludes with the head space nazi insisiting that he literally deserves to die for his life choices and for drinking the fascism kool-aid.
iWfA9oy.gif

So even if stuff flies over the head of viewers, the last thing i'm expecting anything other than scathing commentary on fascism ike SW has always done and frankly a demo centered around how they're sucking the life out of a planet and enslaving the inhabitants and we respond by arriving and aiding the people who're fighting back is a good start.

Yea again to me, after listening to the podcast, didn't feel that way at all. Rather they didn't want a new jedi character to overshadow or be overshadowed by Rey, which is an oversimplification of what was obviously an incredibly lengthy design protagonist to arrive at the final design, cast member, etc. On top of that, I see the very clear efforts to diversity that tends to fly over the heads of people but were very clearly deliberate decisions made by the devs to fit within the vision of Disney when it comes to their attempts to diversify SW. So seeing PoC and women in the background when all of those characters could have easily been white men and let's be honest if this game was being made for the last generation of consoles WOULD be all white men, that matters to me. I'm seeing the effort. As that was the case with BF2 and it's the case with SW in general as an IP. It's not perfect no. Nothing is, but I see the effort.

Ah, I see. Well, no group is a monolith and as such, within any community of like minded folks, some conflicts will still be around. That said, insofar as our discussion in this thread is concerned, I do not see your take as being bad faith.

However, we definitely do diverge in our interpretation of Stig's response and perhaps that is tied to how, where and when I was raised (something I mentioned yesterday). The salient points and queries being:

• Why does it matter if the protagonists overshadow Rey, given in the gaming space the number of notable/iconic personas are far fewer than in the movies (and almost all of them are straight, white men, save Kreia, Bastilla and HK47; I doubt most general SW movie fans would be able to name any of them)?
  • Furthermore, given two projects exists in separate mediums, there should be no financial cause for concern regarding cannibalization.
  • If, as studio heads remarked during E3 alongside Gregg Miller, Cal is supposed to fill a role within the canon with the potential with his character being featured elsewhere, there is no reason to be conservative about it.
  • Insofar as background NPCs being white men, I would disagree on two counts:
  1. We have seen pre-Disney SW games feature diverse supporting and NPCs. After all, this is the world of Star Wars where lack of diversity will be more questionable given its self proclaimed "galactic" scope.
  2. Again, having background characters be PoC does little to allay the core issues pertaining to representation. It is a type of glass ceiling (heck, even Kreia and perhaps to an extent, Bastilla, two women played the roles of mentors in the past). I know you did not quote the last part of the second last paragraph but I see it as a low effort, low risk choice to avoid rustling jimmies in a culture of somewhat post GamerGate where some PR still fumbles with transphobia, some pubs signal boost 8chan and most tellingly most publishers still rely on featuring men/white men on covers for their game (even when they feature "choice").

It is less Star Wars and more of general regressive and self perpetuating attitudes that prevail in gaming today.

Again, looking purely at the playable protagonists, especially canonized, I cannot tell if SW is on a more progressive path because, IIRC, there has been a single AAA SW game featuring SP campaign this entire gen that featured a mixed heritage female protagonist. And now at the tail end, we have a protagonist that essentially prevents the formation of any conclusive pattern.

Given the historic trend with outliers that have been canonized in games, Respawn's game feels like a status quo for games and in line with the Solo movie. Unlike a game, movies do not allow for singular ownership of a character and so it feels more progressive for the latter.

In a galaxy with commercialized light speed travel and fully urbanized planets, diversity (incl. mixed ethnicity) should be the diagetic norm and Disney recognizes that fully for their non-gaming mediums. While Cal's presence does not undermine Iden's identity, as aforementioned, gaming side of SW has a long way to go before it can match non-gaming SW properties.

Stig's commentary about non-relatability specially rubbed me the wrong way. It shows telltale signs of tying the strength of a pre-written character with his identity that the lowest common denominator must be able to empathize on some level and an assumption of what demographic comprises of said denominator. In the SW universe, as far as I have seen in other mediums, there is not one story that is too abstract to NOT be a human story.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when crossing eden is getting banned for not being right on enough that might need a bit of a pause for reflection. like what did he do that was so objectionable? Is the limit to discussions that narrow?

I'll wait till I see more before writing the character off as being boring or whatever

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad they didn't cop out and make a generic PC who can be male or female, I'd rather single player stories like this make a choice and live by it. The story is better usually with a voiced protagonist who has deep and interesting interactions with other characters and the world whether its Lincoln in Mafia 3, Lara in Tomb Raider, or Peter Parker in Spider-man. I don't want devs to start thinking creating generic PCs is the solution to this "problem", which isn't a problem for most of the market really.

The odds of Cal's white male background doing literally anything in the plot/game are worse than the odds of me becoming an actual Jedi. It'd be interesting if it wasn't just EA appeasing fragile gamers, but I find that unlikely.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Because that's rational. Guilty of what designing a game? There's nothing to suggest the main character was ever going to be an Alien or a Woman, so I don't see the issue here, let them make the game they're going to make and reserve judgement till it's out. Why is that so hard?
I don't know why people keep saying this. As a member of a multiple intersections of marginalized people, we already tolerate the thousands of games that have straight, white, cisgender male characters. Like 80% of the games on my wishlist have characters that fit that mold. However, the reason this game in particular is an issue is simply due to the context that the creator's rationalizations paints their character in.

The game isn't going anywhere and people will end up taking what comes anyway. But regardless of the potential of the end product, we live in the present and are free to judge, criticize and scrutinize as we want in regards to what the developers give us at this point. Dude could end up as the most well defined character in SW history and that'd be awesome. But people, particularly consumers of this medium who fall into some intersection of disenfranchised groups, are allowed to be skeptical and critical in the face of an industry that barely gets a passing grade in regards to representation & empathy towards the marginalized.

If you say you've literally never been even slightly turned off and/or slightly intrigued by what's said by the people making the games you take an interest in before the game is out, I genuinely won't believe you. Previews and interviews are a tent pole of industry journalism because there already is a market for making judgements or at least being slightly swayed by what we see and hear of a game before it's out.

Last edited:

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would have loved an alien character, humans are overrepresented in Star Wars. Not to mention White Men.

Oct 25, 2017
when crossing eden is getting banned for not being right on enough that might need a bit of a pause for reflection. like what did he do that was so objectionable? Is the limit to discussions that narrow?

I'll wait till I see more before writing the character off as being boring or whatever

Reflection for what? That a character that is voiced by Lupita but otherwise looks like an alien isn't a case of good representation for black folks?

Or that a character being called black is actually a specific alien race in star wars?

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Had to look this up because folks are reluctant to say the character's name and game for some reason. Never touched BF2 because of, you know, the gacha jank.

BwNh6aj.jpg

This is cool I guess, but it's marred by the clusterfuck of what surrounded BF2.
Huh. I didn't even know Battlefront II had a single-player campaign. I thought they were multiplayer-only games.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing Another User
The fuck is going on in here that Crossing Eden of all people is getting banned?

You know how ZattMurdock tends to go overboard in MCU topics? Same thing but with more gifs.

I still can't go over Stig going basically "yeah, the movies had Rey so we needed our PC to standout so we went with a male."

latest

images

FF872153BE6C5B962917B42DEEC4438810D53F3C

star-wars-force-unleashed-ii_530x.png

latest

"Standout."

tenor.gif

Huh. I didn't even know Battlefront II had a single-player campaign. I thought they were multiplayer-only games.

It had one. It was just garbage so no one remembers it.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
You know how ZattMurdock tends to go overboard in MCU topics? Same thing but with more gifs.

I still can't go over Stig going basically "yeah, the movies had Rey so we needed our PC to standout so we went with a male."

latest

images

FF872153BE6C5B962917B42DEEC4438810D53F3C

star-wars-force-unleashed-ii_530x.png

latest

"Standout."

tenor.gif

It had one. It was just garbage so no one remembers it.

Mentioning me on a thread that I'm not even posting with an attempt of stigmatize was necessary because...?

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I read it as even stupider of "Rey is very successful as a female protagonist, so we thought it best not to do that"

I mean what???

And I don't mean to imply that a white protagonist is automatically bad (I really like Arthur Morgan and Deacon Saint John and feel they're standouts for example) but it just seems ass backwards to me that they go "hey this works! Lets do the old shit though to be different!" It seems more like a lie they thought of on the spot, instead of just saying "this is what we wanted to make" which honestly would sound less silly imo.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
You know, it be nice for Ciena Ree to get some more love. Maybe a story post Lost Stars and dealing with stuff between Ep VI and VII.

noerre6b6ukxck8zgmbc.png

Well maybe a book sequel than a game, but was just reminded of her.