• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They allowed a female protagonist in Rogue One. They allowed one in Battlefront 2. I don't understand why another one would be stealing Rey's thunder all of a sudden
I don't think that's what they meant. Qi'ra was also a big part of the Solo film. I think it's more that they had several big female characters recently introduced, so let's add a male this time.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
hahahaha lol treating it like male vs female is exactly as consequential as which color a lightsaber is or some shit.

this is insane.

Cystm

So I originally saw this reported here: https://gamerant.com/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-protagonist-is-male-because-of-rey/

Original Audio here @ the 26:15 mark :
https://www.gameinformer.com/video-...wering-star-wars-jedi-fallen-orders-lingering

Stig Amussen gave an interview on The Game Informer Show podcast where he was answering a bunch of fan questions. While answering a question about playing as aliens in the game, he mentioned very briefly how they arrived at a male protagonist. Here's my transcript of his response (emphasis mine):

I guess it was only a matter of time before Disney Star Wars hit the "Female Protag" quota.

Yeah, fuck this game. That logic is garbage.

What if - and here me out here, Stig - You made it a POC/Female/alien/Droid/Fucking anything else and used it's to show that even though it's different and not what you were expecting that character to look and sound like and thusly makes you feel uncomfortable and disconnected like you claim ("Oh heavens! Where is the middle-aged White guy with short hair from all the other games!? I am catching the vapors!"), you can still connect and appreciate what the character is with a story that is not hot garbage.

The resources for a framework of a story like that is literally all around you all the time.

This game is canned dog food for shitty people. Hard fucking pass.

Oct 27, 2017
We could have had the horse faced alien as the protagonist...

Disney won't even give us Beta Ray Bill in a Thor or GOTG movie
Fucking cowards

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Pretty much. Or it is just EA being EA. I'm willing to bet their only contact with reality are market studies.
EA made their last protag in Battlefront 2 a poc woman (only female playable non-player-created protag in any Star Wars game to date I believe) and put Satele Shan as a major character in SWTOR as an asian female jedi and featured her heavily in the marketing and that was one of the most expensive games they've ever made - they are actually usually quite good at this sort of thing, which is why this comment sounds so off, so I'm not sure it's an EA thing tbh.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that's what they meant. Qi'ra was also a big part of the Solo film. I think it's more that they had several big female characters, so let's add a male this time.
being a love interest that turns evil is hardly a groundbreaking role for a female character in an action movie. and why is it ok to think of it like a fucking quota in the first place?

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Battlefront 2 has a female protagonist.

I haven't played Battlefront, but in that case, I suppose it really was a creative decision. Perhaps to avoid direct comparisons to Rey? But I think they could have done a female lead if they really wanted to.

Now, playing as yet another male protag isn't going to keep me from playing this one, but I also disagree with the rationale.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Pretty much. Or it is just EA being EA. I'm willing to bet their only contact with reality are market studies.

My experience and research on the subject informs me that it's a bunch of rich white suits sitting in an meeting room in front of a white board containing the words "16-34 old white males" circled.

When that much money is on the line and the executives are a bunch of wealthy (usually white) people, you end up with someone like that dude in Fallen Order.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
But seriously, why is a black woman never an option when these things come up?

too bad that the singleplayer in BF2 was an after-thought and attached to what was primarily a multiplayer-only series.

Which is a shame because that campaign could've been amazing. They just horribly botched it.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
EA made their last protag in Battlefront 2 a poc woman (only female playable no-player-created protag in any Star Wars game to date I believe) and put Satele Shan as a major character in SWTOR as an asian female jedi and featured her heavily in the marketing and that was one of the most expensive games they've ever made - they are actually usually quite good at this sort of thing, which is why this comment sounds so off, so I'm not sure it's an EA thing tbh.
It's all up to the development team when it comes to main character design.

Speaking of which I like the main character design of JFO. I admire the semi-formal black cloak design and I know the actor attached to the MC is quite talented. His face is definitely more expressive than we often come to see in big budget releases.

TopherDL

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda figured this might've been the case. It's absurdly stupid and myopic reasoning. The generic protagonist for this game has been the biggest turn off for me.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
There's already too many female protagonist in this multi-movie and game series, we don't need a third!

/s

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Imagine being so closed-minded you wouldn't play as an alien. Sci-fi is all about escapism/wish fulfilment. As a "generic white guy" I see enough of myself in video games, really don't feel the need to "relate" to video game protags.

Dan8589

Banned
May 30, 2019
No reason it could not be a black dude though. This lead looks generic as fuck.

Still could be well written and interesting though. Remember when Arthur Morgan was first relieved?

Why is it perfectly ok to keep referring to white males as generic and boring? I mean you're making negatives points based on their skin colour...

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Blue lightsabers are for boys and pink lightsabers are for girls. That's why Rey tried to return Luke's old weapon to him. She only kept it because it was a gift and she was being polite. She still felt weird about it though.

That's why.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- Yeah so we though it was time to go back to a white guy because you know we're white so we wanted to create something that we felt comfortable with -

The take on them

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
being a love interest that turns evil is hardly a groundbreaking role for a female character in an action movie. and why is it ok to think of it like a fucking quota in the first place?
Excellent question since that seems to be the position everyone opposed to this new character is taking. "There's already too many white guys," etc.

They're thinking in terms of diversifying the recent additions to the franchise and making theirs stand out. There's been 3 female MCs in the past few years. So, they went male.

Now if you want to question why they chose to make them white, go for it. But as far as them being male goes? That makes perfect sense.

I have nothing to add to this conversation.
Then why post?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Why did gender even have to be talked about? All you had to say was "we had an artistic vision for this character". That's it. Make, female, alien, doesn't matter. Bringing current social issues into the discussion just automatically makes your choice seem bullshit no matter which direction you go. Trust your artist and let their visions stand, don't design by committee or PR departments for this.

I mean, the immediate follow-up is "if this was your artistic vision, what about him being a straight white dude is required for that vision?"

Artists who release things for public consumption should know that critique is part of the craft. "It was my vision" isn't a magic phrase that gets you out of criticism.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
His characters looks as he does irl . I've like this guy in everything he was in so I'm hoping his acting in this game is as good

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Excellent question since that seems to be the position everyone opposed to this new character is taking. "There's already too many white guys," etc.

They're thinking in terms of diversifying the recent additions to the franchise and making theirs stand out. There's been 3 female MCs in the past few years. So, they went male.

Now if you want to question why they chose to make them white, go for it. But as far as them being male goes? That makes perfect sense.
There's been plenty of male MCs in those same movies - their excuse doesn't make perfect sense.

OP
OP
Deepwater

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it perfectly ok to keep referring to white males as generic and boring? I mean you're making negatives points based on their skin colour...

Because white males are 95% of the leading characters in every major entry of your franchise.

Nobody is saying that white men are inherently generic, they're saying that because protagonists are disproportionately white men that each new additional one becomes more of the same, ergo generic and boring.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

if you're able to convince yourself that this is "diversifying", then congratulations. you will enjoy this corporate wokeness world.

You can't balance literally centuries of men being the focus of the majority of stories by switching to a 1:1 ratio. true balance would mean allowing women to dominate narratives for a time, and accepting that there's nothing wrong with that.

Anyways, I never expected that out of this industry or any other. This whole thing is just such a nakedly cowardly response. at least lie and say you're specifically excited about the character for one reason or another, not that their creation was literally reactionary.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And they had to make him as bland and generic as possible too I guess.

Unless it's a game about the characters from the movies or shows any SW game should have a create a character. Let me be a fucking Rodian goddamnit. Your original character probably sucks anyway.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Then why post?
Cute. Pretending you're adding much else beyond excuses.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's what they meant. Qi'ra was also a big part of the Solo film. I think it's more that they had several big female characters recently introduced, so let's add a male this time.
Or a blonde.

And they had to make him as bland and generic as possible too I guess.

Unless it's a game about the movies or shows any SW game should have a create a character. Let me be a fucking Rodian goddamnit.
That's literally that actor's face.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
EA made their last protag in Battlefront 2 a poc woman (only female playable non-player-created protag in any Star Wars game to date I believe) and put Satele Shan as a major character in SWTOR as an asian female jedi and featured her heavily in the marketing and that was one of the most expensive games they've ever made - they are actually usually quite good at this sort of thing, which is why this comment sounds so off, so I'm not sure it's an EA thing tbh.

Yeah I don't know about you, but putting generic mcface random boring white guy number 376 as the lead on their next big thing after BF2 flopped screams EA to me.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Really would have loved to play as a female alien though:

The Miraluka are a near-human race. And a Force-sensitive species that didn't have eyes. But instead, saw the environment around them through Force Sight.

A Twi'lek Jedi:

Rachi_Sitra.jpg

Star Wars has an incredibly rich and expansive lore that almost never gets to it's time to shine in games or movies. I don't mind the protagonist chosen by Respawn, but they certainly could have chosen something "less safe" than the white Male protagonist.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Should have used Samuel L. Jackson as the Jedi.

Mothafu********

Kidding... but they should leave the usual stereotyped main character. Star Wars has tons of opportunities to explore.

It should be a character creator in my humble opinion.

OP
OP
Deepwater

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't know about you, but putting generic mcface random boring white guy number 376 as the lead on their next big thing after BF2 flopped screams EA to me.

The protagonist concept was likely solidified prior to BF2's debacle. I would guess it was decided around TFA's release

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
The guy being white isn't even the problem IMO (not that I wouldn't dig him not being white). It's the fact that he's white in a generic as fuck way. There are plenty of ways to add character and dimension to anyone of any ethnic descent but the designers here went for the "Aiden Pearse's Iconic Hat" approach and it shows.

I have to agree to that. The protag has that fresh-faced clean-cut preppie schoolboy look that takes a lot to get around. Part of Luke's appeal was that he was not particularly handsome at all, which gives him a more humble and relatable quality overall and reinforces the idea that theoretically anyone for anywhere could have the potential to be a Jedi.

This guy just makes me hope he has more depth beneath that pretty boy exterior because he seems very boring so far.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
But BF2 didn't flop and EA famously put a woman in the first main trailer of Battlefield V after Battlefront II so that doesn't make much sense - why blame EA when it's not EA saying it but a particular dev and there's no evidence that he didn't make the decision? We already know who made the comment unprompted and was a major part of the development process so I don't really feel like passing the buck just so gamers can have a pop at EA , EA certainly didn't make the dev come up with the bullshit excuse of there was already a female jedi protag and that's enough, did they?