• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

So in the easy allies impressions above. He mentioned a couple things I thought was thread worthy

-The e3 demo, like many others, was made for the sake of quick run throughs and hands on sessions at e3, the same level in the full game has many more of the metroidvania elements

-Difficulty in the demo was turned down and will be "much more difficult" in the full thing.

This was something speculated about but good to have confirmation.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Aren't all preview demos basically the same? It's a vertical slice of the game designed specifically for someone to play in 10-15 minutes.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Yep, this is something that a lot of people don't know or try to ignore, a lot of the demos are made up for E3 or conventions and they spend months to build up the demo.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
That's very very common.

In SWJFO, I think the demo did its job very well. It funneled players and gave them a mild difficulty [which is a must for a public showfloor demo].

Final game will be more open and difficult.

Yup. See ff7 remake demo
Indeed. While the content from FF7R demo was taken 1:1 from the game, certain gameplay systems were completely turned off [stances].

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Aren't all preview demos basically the same? It's a vertical slice of the game designed specifically for someone to play in 10-15 minutes.
Yes.....BUT, go back and read the era reaction thread to the demo. đź‘€ There were many many members who outright refused to believe that the full game would be more complex.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
It did indeed look a tad easy but (I'm probably alone in this) the force powers in TFU seemed more fun - they just seem kind of wooden so far, as does some of the animation.

Maybe I'm remembering TFU with nostalgia goggles haha

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Never understood why people were concerned that the AI was literally going to be braindead.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It did indeed look a tad easy but (I'm probably alone in this) the force powers in TFU seemed more fun - they just seem kind of wooden so far, as does some of the animation.

Maybe I'm remembering TFU with nostalgia goggles haha
They're very specifically avoiding a TFU feel when it comes to the force because this is canon material.

Good, one hit kills, and senseless enemies really turned me down from this.
One hit kills are still a thing for basic troopers. It's SW, not a GOW clone. The AI is more aggressive in the real thing though.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
Yep, this is something that a lot of people don't know or try to ignore, a lot of the demos are made up for E3 or conventions and they spend months to build up the demo.
Yep...this is one reason i think E3 is just a waste of time. it puts pressure on Devs, I could be wrong, but didn;t the GOW reveal slice take SSm months to make for e3? You don't need e3 in 2019 to reveal your new games or even console. Not to mention half the time there are fake CGi trailers or fake in general (Alal Anthem) , and just marketing.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's normal, even the Souls games do it (people complained about Bloodborne's being too easy).

That being said, this is Star Wars and they will most likely try to aim the difficulty towards a wider audience.

On the default difficulty at least I don't see them taking many risks.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yep...this is one reason i think E3 is just a waste of time. it puts pressure on Devs, I could be wrong, but didn;t the GOW reveal slice take SSm months to make for e3? You don't need e3 in 2019 to reveal your new games or even console. Not to mention half the time there are fake CGi trailers or fake in general (Alal Anthem) , and just marketing.
I mean even making trailers for e3 is a lot of pressure, not just demos, every shot in a trailer has to be much more polished than what's actually at the studio, (depending on the release date), especially cinematics.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

Exactly.

The new NFS for example, skipped E3 because they didn't want to spend months and prepare a demo for the convention, instead, they will use all the resources for the game.
That's not only for demos, but a lot of *things* in the games can require a lot of time and effort, Forza Horizon 3 intro required 18 months for example.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Yeah but some game lend themselves better to e3 demos while some like this don't. I remember people having problems with some of demos Sony did for GoW 2018 so it might be a character action problem.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
-Difficulty in the demo was turned down and will be "much more difficult" in the full thing.

Was the demo the same one they showed the video of during the reveal stream?

If so, why did they repeatedly make a big deal about how high-level the player was if they were just going to have him run through a dumbed-down version? Nothing even looked that impressive.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually kind of frustrating that they cut out the Metroidvania elements, because that's exactly the stuff that would set it apart from the Force Unleashed.

I WANT to see the exploration, not just an Uncharted-style linear climbfest.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I'd be shocked if we can't. That's pretty standard from western devs. Plus this is a huge, mass market game, not something like From Software game designed for hardcore players who play for challenge.
I mean, you never know. Remember that most Assassin's Creed games did not have a difficulty select option until recently? Western devs, appeals to mass market, same as Star Wars. It's just that Assassin's Creed games have never been difficult, so it didn't really matter.
I personally want to play on the highest difficulty setting, that's why I expressed my wish.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
An extended version of it yes. The content from the trailer was in the demo.

If so, why did they repeatedly make a big deal about how high-level the player was if they were just going to have him run through a dumbed-down version? Nothing even looked that impressive.
🤷‍♂️

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017

The area is the same, I don't know if the difficulty is the same.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds promising. I thought the game looked cool and fun enough for me to dive in, but reading that is reassuring.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a giant waste of time. They couldn't pluck out a section from the existing game that was already impressive? See Nintendo games this year.

Lestat

Banned
Jun 11, 2019
I trust Respawn. That AI was horrible in the demo, so hopefully it really is better in the final product.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes.....BUT, go back and read the era reaction thread to the demo. đź‘€ There were many many members who outright refused to believe that the full game would be more complex.

That thread was an embarrassment.

Tons of knee-jerk reactions and assumptions even when we had a plethora of detailed, hands-on previews that were emphatic regarding the depth and non-linearity of the game.

Granted, it was a weak demo but it was also a very brief demo and yet the speculation and conjecture flowed like errant feces with denouncements and sweeping negativity abound despite Respawn's impressive track record.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

Considering they didn't actually make a big deal about it, and laughed when they said the person in question was an expert, I suspect they may have been doing something called "Taking the piss out of him."

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was kind of an accepted fact that demo floor games tend to have easier difficulties to speed things along. Nice to have confirmation, but expecting it to be as easy as someone giving a demo under time considerations is weird to me when it's such a common thing.

It would have been nice to see some of the more exploration based/metroidvania moments, but I get why they didn't. I feel like they wanted something straight to the point as opposed to showing every nook and cranny when on stage.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
That thread was an embarrassment.

Tons of knee-jerk reactions and assumptions even when we had a plethora of detailed, hands-on previews that were emphatic regarding the depth and non-linearity of the game.

Granted, it was a weak demo but it was also a very brief demo and yet the speculation and conjecture flowed like errant feces with denouncements and sweeping negativity abound despite Respawn's impressive track record.
We didn't get hands on impressions until days later and the GI article was paid promotion. The demo simply looked bad to a lot of people and they didn't do a good job showing the game's actual features.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Good, one hit kills, and senseless enemies really turned me down from this.

I hear you and your feelings are of course valid if that is the kind of gameplay you normally enjoy, I just think if they didn't have near one hit kills on basic stormtrooper enemies then people would complain that it doesn't feel like you're really wielding a lightsaber. Personally, I want to be able to dispatch enemies quickly if I do touch them with the lightsaber. Otherwise it begins to feel like more of a glowing bat being swung around. I think there are other ways to increase the difficulty.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
My problems with the demo had nothing to do with the supposed lack of Metroidvania elements or simple combat.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We didn't get hands on impressions until days later and the GI article was paid promotion. The demo simply looked bad to a lot of people and they didn't do a good job showing the game's actual features.

Even after those impressions came flooding in the bullshit continued.

I thought the demo was middling but the type of conjecture and baseless speculation going on in that thread - even after numerous credible sources refuted those claims - was ridiculous.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
EZA are my go to guys for E3 because of their impressions. Does anyone else go as in-depth as them?

I love Giant Bomb's nite videos, but these are mostly dev interviews. Kinda Funny are decent, but much more brief. And sites like Gamespot and IGN that are generally developer focused and just get the standard 'dev spiel'.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Even after those impressions came flooding in the bullshit continued.

I thought the demo was middling but the type of conjecture and baseless speculation going on in that thread - even after numerous credible sources refuted those claims - was ridiculous.
Yeah I wasn't aware people were starting shit in the press impressions thread. Kind of foolish of them. I myself am cautiously optimistic after the press got their hands on it. Still iffy on the actual combat though.