• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning on subscribing to Origin Premier for maybe a month or so to play this instead of paying $60.

I wonder if anyone else will do the same or nah?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they can easily hit that number, based on the glowing reviews/previews and support from The Mandalorian and Rise of Skywalker.

Plus they'll inevitably give the game some healthy discounts in December to appeal to parent-shoppers.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FO could hit 6-8. Maybe a bit optimistic, but I could see it being a 10 mil lifetime seller.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
That seems fair? Didn't one of the Tomb Raider games sell about 5 million for Square?

One would assume Star Wars has about that same juice and then some.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see it pulling off that numbers on lifetime sales but really hard on just few months. Fucking EA and their unrealistic expectation

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
This poor guy. His name was Bob O'Brien, he was a reporter for Channel 5 News in New York City for 30 years before moving on to the UPN local Channel 9 station you see in the meme. I remember watching him throughout my later childhood. He died about a year and a half ago. But he lives on in this meme, I suppose.
But what was the actual thing that was so disgusting? I've been dying to know ever since I first saw the meme.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what was BF2's share because 6 months after its release it was available at our canadian dollar store for 4$ CND (that was faster than Titanfall 2h

Oct 31, 2017
33MM for BF 1 and 2 is really damn good. Better than I thought. I am waiting on the Hoth bundle to go on sale again for me to pick it up. I am assuming I'm picking up a PS4 this BF.

Regarding 6-8MM for FO that seems really realistic to me, especially if the game is good which. Star Wars is probably not as big a name in gaming as God of War, but it is a bigger overall name. Similar to Spider-man and the latter outsold God of War.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
They sell these games for <10 bucks after a few months. Not hard to hit that mark.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worth considering that:

--Fallen Order has no real major competition releasing after it, and in the single player space not much competition releasing prior to it (especially with the delay of Doom Eternal)
--Early 2020 is probably not going to see a lot of competition either now that TLOU2 is delayed
--This is the first Jedi-action game released in nearly a decade - there's a lot of pent-up demand for something like this, in the same way Battlefront 2015 also benefited from no BF games releasing for years and years
--Respawn has essentially quashed all concerns about microtransactions and lootboxes
--Star Wars: The Old Republic cleared like 1.7M subscribers in less than a couple months, despite being a PC-exclusive subscription MMO. Fallen Order has to do much better, but ultimately benefits from a much more popular genre and being available on all major platforms

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not insane numbers necessarily. It's doable if it reviews really well, which by all impressions and indications so far looks like it just might. Respawn has good reputation among players and good word of mouth travels. Coincide marketing with Rise of Skywalker and really push advertising during the holidays into next year, I can see it hitting 6M+.

Not to mention that it's now back on Steam which should provide a good boost too.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AAA production values also really go a long way towards bumping review scores up a bit. Even if this isn't as accomplished as something like Dark Souls or DMC/Bayonetta, it's so pristine and polished that it will probably be received very well.

What was the last holiday singleplayer action game that pushed these kinds of numbers in its first quarter of sales?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm mostly curious how people will react to the saber combat after having Jedi Outcast re-released. Everything I've seen doesn't give me that lightsaber combat feel.

Uh, this game has far more depth than Outcast/Academy, which has aged like curdled milk.

I literally have no idea why people are still trying to claim those games are some gold standard fifteen years later because they really aren't all that deep and the actual saber swinging and combat looks downright goofy by today's standards.

giphy.gif

By contrast, Fallen Order looks like this:

giphy.gif

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
It's very, very similar in style to GOW and even has Stig Asmussen working on the games from the original god of war games.

you're also kidding yourself if you think God of War is a bigger franchise than Star Wars and it's Respawn, who make fantastic stories

i was talking about in terms of review scores. This game probably won't get any where near the scores GOW got. Those scores helped GOW sell a lot too.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Uh, this game has far more depth than Outcast/Academy, which has aged like curdled milk.

I literally have no idea why people are still trying to claim those games are some gold standard fifteen years later because they really aren't all that deep and the actual saber swinging and combat looks downright goofy by today's standards.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I REALLY love Outcast and Academy but going back and replaying Outcast on the Switch two weeks ago was very revealing that I remembered it as far better feeling in my mind due to nostalgia. It feels rough. Yes you can turn on dismemberment with a cheat (not on Switch or PS4 but on the OG PC release), but the combat, while awesome for its time, is a bit rough now. Feels very clunky.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
i think itll hit that no problem. Star wars hype is going to be huge this next two months. Mandalorian, then this, then RoS

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think how RoS is received will affect this. SW not had a win in a while.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
... but JO looks more impressive in control and those are all player controlled inputs and not some canned animation grab move?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i am pretty confident it will hit that, multiplatform games with some really good metrics behind it + power of star wars brand.

i can see it surpassing their expectation even.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Monster Hunter World did almost just as much. So yea if the game is good and resonates with gamers on all platforms they should easily hit 5 mill. 6 might be possible too but 8 seems unlikely.

Sep 15, 2019

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I'll take some dated animations that are player controlled over scripted animated which are outside of my control.

Games are nearly 20 years old at this point, no duh they are gonna be dated in certain aspects especially compared to today's motion captured animations and so forth.

I still play Jedi Academy on Steam because it's still active on the multiplayer side. The above gif looks way more engaging than the two or three button presses (at most) it'll take to trigger that execution animation.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
It's very, very similar in style to GOW and even has Stig Asmussen working on the games from the original god of war games.

you're also kidding yourself if you think God of War is a bigger franchise than Star Wars and it's Respawn, who make fantastic stories
How is it similar to GOW? In gaming Star wars has not been that big, you need to seperate Star wars global IP appeal compared to video games. The vast majority of Star wars games never touched GOW sales. After saying that this is very doable imo, especially if it reviews well.

A star wars action game, marketed around black friday, this is very doable, surprised so many think it isn't.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't see this game generating a lot of hype so far so I certainly wouldn't bet on these kind of numbers.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
To those people doubting they hit that figure, remember the last movie of the trilogy and a very hyped live action tv show with accompanying backlog of movies are coming to Disney plus. Also the install base on pc and consoles is HUGE. Easy 7 mil. Note, I'm not getting it at launch but I'll get it on Xmas
It's still just a single player game.
we will see what happens with reviews

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I honestly don't see that number being outlandish for star wars. My only reservation is the game is out a month before the movie (I know they are unrelated but the hype of one will drive the other) so - the combined hype is lessened somewhat.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
33 Million for two mediocre games. I am ashamed.

And they will 100% hit that figure for their SP SWJFL.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I'm planning on subscribing to Origin Premier for maybe a month or so to play this instead of paying $60.

I wonder if anyone else will do the same or nah?

I will be doing the same. It's the only sane thing to do for SP content. If I want to replay it later I can buy it for a quarter of the price in a year.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I don't see this game generating a lot of hype so far so I certainly wouldn't bet on these kind of numbers.

Yea, even with the starwars branding a lot of people have been burned from Battlefront 1 and 2. I think the game will do well, but not 8 Million well.

And I'm still skeptical on the game. Enemies still lay still and shoot in one position until you get near them. On top of there being no limb chopping with the saber. Also I feel nothing for the Protagonist.

Two BF games managed to sell more than 30 million despite controversies that would sink most other titles.

They also were heavily bundled.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
How is it similar to GOW? In gaming Star wars has not been that big, you need to seperate Star wars global IP appeal compared to video games. The vast majority of Star wars games never touched GOW sales. After saying that this is very doable imo, especially if it reviews well.

A star wars action game, marketed around black friday, this is very doable, surprised so many think it isn't.

the Star Wars battlefront games sold very well, most likely comfortably outselling GOW in the US.

the first one especially, since it coincided with the movie.

Oct 29, 2017
That is a realistic and reasonable expectation for a single player game of these levels of production values. The Star Wars IP is gigantic, and the game is launching during the Xmas season almost totally uncontested, alongside the final movie in the Disney trilogy.

Even if it releases to middling reviews, the game has literally everything going for it. There's no reason why it shouldn't be reaching those kinds of numbers.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll take some dated animations that are player controlled over scripted animated which are outside of my control.

Games are nearly 20 years old at this point, no duh they are gonna be dated in certain aspects especially compared to today's motion captured animations and so forth.

I still play Jedi Academy on Steam because it's still active on the multiplayer side. The above gif looks way more engaging than the two or three button presses (at most) it'll take to trigger that execution animation.

It's been widely covered Fallen Order has quite a bit of depth - far more than Academy or Outcast.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
With the way games are selling this gen, yeah I think those are reasonable expectations. It's Star Wars, it's seems like it will be a GOTY contender, holiday season. It all lines up.

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly a pretty doable number, especially if the game turns out to be good and it gets very positive reception from players.