• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Boston Rob get to keep his idol? That would be big if he can make it through the second "play in" challenge, he was so fucking close, I was pulling for him or Yuul but there were worse people than Tyson who could have won I guess.

Sucks seeing all the old school people out but Survivor's evolved, so it makes sense. I really think Denise has a shot, Sophie as well. I'd be working to get them both out as soon as possible if I were the other players before it's too late.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I don't disagree with your read on Nick. I suspect he was lurking around trying to ease his way into everyone's game conversations at Wendell's direction. I expected him to have more tact and self-awareness than that.

For all of his many game faults, Adam seems to be fairly attuned to how he's perceived by his fellow castaways by comparison... although this undoubtedly just adds more fuel to his perpetual paranoia.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Does Boston Rob get to keep his idol? That would be big if he can make it through the second "play in" challenge, he was so fucking close, I was pulling for him or Yuul but there were worse people than Tyson who could have won I guess.

Sucks seeing all the old school people out but Survivor's evolved, so it makes sense. I really think Denise has a shot, Sophie as well. I'd be working to get them both out as soon as possible if I were the other players before it's too late.

They could have bought the idols at any point so I have to assume they keep it just the same.

I more wonder if he could change his mind and decide to now offer it to someone in the game for more tokens? Or if you can only do that with advantages offered.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
For what it's worth, I wouldn't read too much into the tea leaves here of Michele and Nick "being left out" of the vote. They may well have been looped in but still agreed to toss votes onto Adam, knowing they wouldn't matter, so they would still evoke the impression to Wendell that they were in his good graces so as to ensure they would receive his fire tokens (which they did).
So they just decided to toss votes at someone who would remain in the game and would surely not be okay with having his name written down?

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
With a game full of winners, there's a lot going on. The merge has only multiplied the gameplay. When half the cast isn't naive dummies and coattail riders, the strategy this season has been impressive. These guys are playing the game hard and it's amazing to watch. I expect blindsides to keep happening because hard and true alliances will continue to be difficult to make. The tide is always shifting.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
I seriously doubt Michelle was part of the Wendell blindside, but you never know. I just think they would have played it up if she was in on it. They've been constantly showing her talk about getting him out. I think they would have capitalized on that storyline if they could have. Still it's very odd they put so much emphasis on it in the first place given that it had no payoff.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I seriously doubt Michelle was part of the Wendell blindside, but you never know. I just think they would have played it up if she was in on it. They've been constantly showing her talk about getting him out. I think they would have capitalized on that storyline if they could have. Still it's very odd they put so much emphasis on it in the first place given that it had no payoff.

watch Wendell comes back lol

Red_V2

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Adams confessional. Tony is in a pretty solid place imo I can see him going far

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume I have to be misremembering the first extinction season, but I thought you didn't just have to beat all the other people on extinction, it was a normal immunity challenge so you had to outright win vs. all players still in the game to get back?

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
That seems like a weird decision. What if they didn't all spend their fire tokens would they have just taken everyones tokens too? Seems odd.
Seems clear that the mandate was for everyone to exhaust all of their tokens for the first return challenge attempt irrespective of any strategizing they may have wished to do to save up for the second.

In retrospect, had Rob bought a 2nd challenge advantage instead of a now null-and-void idol, he'd be back in the game right now.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Seems clear that the mandate was for everyone to exhaust all of their tokens for the first return challenge attempt irrespective of any strategizing they may have wished to do to save up for the second.

In retrospect, had Rob bought a 2nd challenge advantage instead of a now null-and-void idol, he'd be back in the game right now.

I get they'd want them spent so someone wasn't going in the game with a bunch or they were stockpiling them for the second return. I more just don't understand taking away what they bought. Like would they also take away Tyson's peanut butter if he didn't win the comp? lol It still has no use unless they get back in. So it seems weird. Unless they think if they're sitting there with an idol they won't care about walking up and down the mountain 30 times or whatever.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Tyson's quote about looking like a fool if he bought an idol and didn't get back in was a hint that Rob and Natalie were making a mistake buying an idol. I think everyone should just buy up all the challenge advantages they can. Everything else means nothing if they don't get back in.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Tyson's quote about looking like a fool if he bought an idol and didn't get back in was a hint that Rob and Natalie were making a mistake buying an idol. I think everyone should just buy up all the challenge advantages they can. Everything else means nothing if they don't get back in.

100%, I'd rather burn 3 advantages and make the Edge challenge as easy as possible, then actually *play Survivor* again, Idol be damned.

Also, last ep made me really loathe the fact that Amber and Rob are out there together, given last episode made it so clear how Amber isn't even trying. I get that she's trying to give Rob the best chance to get back into the game because if he wins the prize is both of theirs, but there was just something so sleazy about Rob taking Ambers token and using it on himself. Nobody else on Edge is ever going to have that sort of advantage.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
100%, I'd rather burn 3 advantages and make the Edge challenge as easy as possible, then actually *play Survivor* again, Idol be damned.

Also, last ep made me really loathe the fact that Amber and Rob are out there together, given last episode made it so clear how Amber isn't even trying. I get that she's trying to give Rob the best chance to get back into the game because if he wins the prize is both of theirs, but there was just something so sleazy about Rob taking Ambers token and using it on himself. Nobody else on Edge is ever going to have that sort of advantage.

I definitely agree. It's completely unfair. Of course, on the other hand, Amber is literally only out because of Rob so it's not like it's overall an advantage in their favor.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that gave me season recommendations. I just finished Davids vs Goliath and loved it. The contestants were almost all really likeable, and the Jury wasn't super uncomfortable or cringey. I'm thinking of trying Gabon or Micronesia next.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I haven't watched Survivor since the season where the NYC firefighter won (don't know which season it was. All I remember is his tribe won all challenges and the Pontiac Aztec was heavily advertised), so this is almost a whole new experience for me. It's amazing to see how much the game has shifted from solid alliances to basically pairs who enter into weekly alliances of convenience with other pairs.

It's also interesting to see the generational divide at play to an extent. Anyone perceived as "strong" or attempting to be dominant is immediately set upon by people who in early seasons would've been cannon fodder. So far, this has been pretty entertaining.

Since I have the CBS app free for another month, I might check out some of the earlier seasons people here have talked about.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Adam - I'm so confused by this guys stance in the game. You would think Adam was the easiest vote here at a shaky merge, and no one seems to have too close of ties with him. But...he sticks around?
I think Adam's is everyone's goat. Nobody trusts him or respect him, which puts him in a low threat level and a good companion in a final tribal council.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
This season does not fail to deliver. Intense episode with that Edge challenge. I didn't watch Edge of Extinction, so this is the first time I'm seeing this mechanic at work so I have no idea how this shit actually works. It seems very Redemption Island-like, which I liked. The concept of Redemption Island was fun. Not fun enough to watch Coach vs Ozzy instead of Rob vs Russel, but fun.
BOOOO AT THIS QUEENSLAYER TALK

Also, why are Denise and Kim never included in the "old school" title? Technically, Tyson won a couple seasons after them both, no??

Or do the three kind of straddle a mid-line of the "old" and "new" school titles?
I feel like "old-school" is anyone that played S20 and before that. So if you were on Heroes vs Villains or a season before that, you're old school. Tyson was on HvV and Tocantins before Blood vs Water, so he's played the "newest" out of the "old school" players besides Sandra on Game Changers, and she's gone.

I don't know if it's really Amber not trying anymore though. Like, it's a huge bummer, but she's had a weaker showing physically from the beginning and then being stuck on the Edge for so long is gonna wear on you. Sandra knew she wouldn't win the Edge challenges, so rather than draw this out, she'll take her leave, which is fine. We haven't gotten to see anything from Amber really.
Micronesia boasts an all-time great jury performance that I still vividly remember 12 years later.
(And when I say jury performance, I'm referring to an actual juror... not a final tribal council plea.)
You talking about
Ozzy? That was fucking weird. I'll say it straight up. Ozzy is a damn legend, but that shit was weird. Like how can you be that mad Parv took you out? Like STILL? Just fucking FLAMES off that man.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Man, so many swings and whiffs on why Micronesia boasts one of my all-time fave juror performances.

Looks like I'll just have to leave this here...

Eliza's Vanuatu jury speech was pretty gold, too.

I've always been a big Eliza fan. Plus, she's a fellow Christmas baby like Justin Trudeau, Rusev and myself.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Man, so many swings and whiffs on why Micronesia boasts one of my all-time fave juror performances.

I've always been a big Eliza fan. Plus, she's a fellow Christmas baby like Justin Trudeau, Rusev and myself.

Ah yeah that person was pretty good on the jury both times.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I'm closing my eyes to avoid being spoiled scrolling through the thread but this is the best Survivor I've watched in years and cements it as the Pinnacle of reality television

Oct 25, 2017
I think this season would have been more interesting if exile basically lasted till the swap,
when all eliminated players are brought back in as a 3rd or 4th tribe.

Basically being "you voted these people off your tribes, its your fault if they dominate you now."
them selling advantages to the others is the bit of balance to it.

I wanted it to happen so badly immediately after Sandra gave up

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

Oooooooh shit. I just thought you meant straight up speeches. That was hilarious. Courtney in HvV always got me too. She always had some shit to say all the time. So petty.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Just finished watching Micronesia based on all the talk about it in this thread and god. damn. A perfect mix of poetic justice, craftiness, and sheer abject stupidity. From the episode where the big dude makes a move too early right on through to the dumbest thing I've ever seen, it was just fantastic.

Starting Davids vs Golaiths. Really look forward to hating the jock team.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like "old-school" is anyone that played S20 and before that. So if you were on Heroes vs Villains or a season before that, you're old school. Tyson was on HvV and Tocantins before Blood vs Water, so he's played the "newest" out of the "old school" players besides Sandra on Game Changers, and she's gone.

I guessssss but I was kind of thinking in terms of when they won. I guess others aren't 😂

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching Micronesia based on all the talk about it in this thread and god. damn. A perfect mix of poetic justice, craftiness, and sheer abject stupidity. From the episode where the big dude makes a move too early right on through to the dumbest thing I've ever seen, it was just fantastic.

Starting Davids vs Golaiths. Really look forward to hating the jock team.
David vs. Goliath is another excellent season. Enjoy.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
I guessssss but I was kind of thinking in terms of when they won. I guess others aren't 😂
I mean, in that case Boston Rob wouldn't be old school either. I get your point, but it'd be odd to consider him new school.

I wish they'd casted a bit more balanced, old school vs new school wise. There would've been enough good and fun old school winners to make it a more even division. 12 vs 8 is a bit irksome, especially since there's better characters in the old school winners they didn't cast than some of the new school winners they did choose to cast.

Still, it's a fun season, no doubt. I'm still wondering where it'll go though. Heroes vs. Villians was quite a bit clearer, story-wise.

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, in that case Boston Rob wouldn't be old school either. I get your point, but it'd be odd to consider him new school.

I wish they'd casted a bit more balanced, old school vs new school wise. There would've been enough good and fun old school winners to make it a more even division. 12 vs 8 is a bit irksome, especially since there's better characters in the old school winners they didn't cast than some of the new school winners they did choose to cast.

Still, it's a fun season, no doubt. I'm still wondering where it'll go though. Heroes vs. Villians was quite a bit clearer, story-wise.
Hatch and Tina were both asked, and said yes. They were both cut shortly before the season started. I wish they had kept them over some of the others.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Hatch and Tina were both asked, and said yes. They were both cut shortly before the season started. I wish they had kept them over some of the others.
Oh yeah, Hatch for sure. He would've been so great for this season. Watching his youtube channel reminds me all over again what a great 'character' he is. Tina's fine too, and there's tons of others.

Anyway, that ship has sailed. And the season is still a lot of fun, including most of the new school guys I wasn't really looking forward to.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
David vs. Goliath is another excellent season. Enjoy.
Yeah, this one was really fun. I know who wins because I'm watching this current season, but it had a great mix of people and the mechanics that were introduced (well, new to me) with stealing votes and nullifying immunity idols really made for exciting gameplay, especially since all of them were executed perfectly and by the right people. I was actually sad to see the season end.

Now I have to figure out which season to watch next during my Survivor Lockdown Binge.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, this one was really fun. I know who wins because I'm watching this current season, but it had a great mix of people and the mechanics that were introduced (well, new to me) with stealing votes and nullifying immunity idols really made for exciting gameplay, especially since all of them were executed perfectly and by the right people. I was actually sad to see the season end.

Now I have to figure out which season to watch next during my Survivor Lockdown Binge.

You watch Cook Islands yet? Amazing watch. One of my favorites.