• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Fun episode.

A bit surprised that the earlier winners are such sheeple though. I mean, I know they don't know the modern game, but show some spine.

I think the blue tribe gets dominated by the power players because they are too weak to tell Rob no.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Also, what's Tyson's story? I didn't see his original winning season, but the way he talks about having to stay at home with his daughters makes me think there's a sad story behind it? Or maybe it was the emotional music they made sure to play haha.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
amber giving rob the fire token is total bullshit.
That's the way the rules of the currency work. So there's nothing bullshit about it.
It ceases to have value when you don't afford the players agency on what to do with it.

Boston Rob's going to open his bag up to kick off the next episode, see that he's been bequeathed a fire token and will have his mind sent racing that Amber is now gone before he even sees the other tribe at the mat for the next challenge (when his suspicions will be confirmed).

The nature of the tokens having to be bequeathed to someone else upon having your torch snuffed should encourage players to use them while they have them. You have agency in terms of wanting to remain engaged while on Edge to prevent dangerous players from gaining advantages in the challenge to return back to the game. You have agency in terms of whom to attempt to offer advantages to as there's a mutual benefit in play of wanting to help your allies while also wanting them to relay you tokens.

Presumably, next week we'll see Nat and Amber receive a similar clue on where to locate an advantage they'll be able to offer to whomever they wish on the tribe that loses immunity. That'll be a boon for Nat & Amber if Sele loses a challenge as they'll each know that Rob and Jeremy have two tokens to spend that could possibly be sent their way. If Dakal loses again, not so much... they'll be shopping around for whomever has a token and may be a motivated buyer. Nat will know that Sandra has already spent hers. Amber will know the inner-workings of that tribe's dynamics and will undoubtedly pitch a deal to Kim knowing that she's on the outs.

I actually rather like this twist... although I also feel it's going to eventually prove too complex for casual fans to follow given protracted episode run times and the week-long break between episodes.

I can't believe that poker show that I watched a couple weeks ago actually was relevant to this season. UberTag, explain yourself.
Oh you mean this...?

Anyone else enjoy watching televised poker? I know I do.
Here's a fun game to watch from a couple years back while we wait for the start of Season 40.

I plead the fifth.
Jims: "You can't do that. You're not even American!"
Ummm... I plead maple syrup.
Jims: "That's not even a real thing."
Ummm... look over there!
<runs away>

I am so here for the Rob/Parvati and Yul/Sophie alliances. Rob and Parvati are super fun together and make for a good odd couple. And I'm starting to wonder if Yul and Sophie (the Ozzy Alliance) might be a duo to watch out for this season. Hoping the others don't catch onto them and they can play the middle.
Yeah, Yul and Sophie working together was something I didn't see coming and yet it makes so much sense that they would connect on a game level. I consider Sophie to be the all-star from tonight's episode and I really hope they're able to go far and make a deep run in this game together.

That said, I liked their position slightly better at the start of the night when they were straddling the middle between two defined factions before Tyson got tipped off that he was in jeopardy and cut bait to work with Nick and Wendell. I mean, I guess he's "technically" aligned with them now by extension but Tyson's a dangerous player whom you don't want to have as a free agent in an era of tribe swaps and shuffles. Sandra's crew was more motivated to go against Rob moreso than whatever they envision this "poker alliance" to be... so I'm not so sure they're still keyed up to gun for Tyson and Kim. And Sandra now has an idol with a limited shelf-life to wield as well. Hopefully Yul and Sophie are able to keep their alliance and threat level on the down-low.

Incidentally, I also love that Sandra paired up with Sarah and Tony. That's a group that's motivated to work together because of their respective reputations and it will serve their interests so long as they're able to keep their egos in check.

Also, what's Tyson's story? I didn't see his original winning season, but the way he talks about having to stay at home with his daughters makes me think there's a sad story behind it? Or maybe it was the emotional music they made sure to play haha.
Tyson's essentially a professional reality TV star. He's made it work out for himself over the years. Not everyone's equipped to function in the 9-5 rat race. Unlike the previous times he's played this game, he's now a father and has his daughters to play the game for so there's an additional layer of motivation that wasn't there in the past.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh at Kim being on this season. Worst Survivor winner. Get her out of the game quickly please. At least she's already getting exposed as a weaker player now that she has a tribe that aren't all morons.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh at Kim being on this season. Worst Survivor winner. Get her out of the game quickly please. At least she's already getting exposed as a weaker player now that she has a tribe that aren't all morons.
The fuck?

YOU REALIZE BEN IS FUCKING ON THIS SEASON RIGHT?

I mean, yes everyone else on One World was dumb as hell, but that doesn't mean Kim didn't play it literally flawlessly.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
This show needs new editors. Watching this and Aus All Stars at the same time is going to kill me. Let's not show the talks actually happening or the game being played out, lets go to tribal completely in the dark on who will go, that's obviously the best way to have the show play out...

Yul + Sophie = <3
Tony not being too crazy and lasting the first vote, thank you!
Nobody seeming to bat an eye at all at Rob, Parvati or Sandra. I feel like everyone came in afraid and at this point is just looking for the easy votes early and are afraid of the big targets because of what they may have in the works as far as alliances go.

If this season goes the way I want to, the first three boots would be Tyson, Adam, and Nick.

tenor.gif

Ben continuing to show why he's one of the least respected winners of all time.
Hell, I'd rather have Fabio back.

I love how he was trying to pass off how dumb he was and just spitting all his info out as Rob being 'just that good'. I honestly was happy to see him back after watching him be so dumb. It wasn't all bad though, him talking about wanting to keep Adam who knows the game more than the people who have relationships in the game is at least being aware.

I traded out my Tyson draft pick for Ben, I just think he's too dumb to go anywhere at this point lol

...wut

Last edited:

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I switched out Natalie for Denise at the last minute.

I almost had a stroke hearing them suggest Adam and Denise to get voted out.

I feel bad for Natalie. I feel like they should have put her in a different tribe than Jeremy - just like they did with Rob and Amber.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Total conspiracy theory here, but I find it really hard to believe that Rob wouldn't tell Sandra on Island of the Idols that he was going to do Season 40.

Isn't it possible that Rob and Sandra set a scheme up while they were on Island of the Idols? As long as Rob and Amber were both on the show, they made super logical targets. Now that Amber is gone, Rob's in a much stronger position. And starting a big feud with Sandra over it, on top of Sandra shit-talking him about lying to her, makes it very believable that if they go to merge that they won't be allies. What if they made a pact to get as far as possible with each other? They can use this public feuding to their advantage if they both make it to the merge but are actually working together.

I'm probably just overthinking it, but I really can't believe Rob wouldn't tell Sandra about being on this season and Amber being out of the game is best-case scenario for him right now and blaming Sandra for it sets up a huge feud that could be used to their advantage if it's really a set-up.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Seeing how there was ZERO reward component to winning that 2nd tribal immunity challenge last night, I have to assume there was a reward challenge for these winners that was left on the cutting room floor.

That almost makes me think there's an obscenely early swap this time around that will make the typical array of pointless tribe rewards (tarp, fishing gear, comfort items, egg-laying hens, iced coffee, etc.) even more pointless than usual.

Of course, if this was Australian Survivor, we'd have seen it anyhow. But it's not so whatevs.

Isn't it possible that Rob and Sandra set a scheme up while they were on Island of the Idols? As long as Rob and Amber were both on the show, they made super logical targets. Now that Amber is gone, Rob's in a much stronger position. And starting a big feud with Sandra over it, on top of Sandra shit-talking him about lying to her, makes it very believable that if they go to merge that they won't be allies. What if they made a pact to get as far as possible with each other? They can use this public feuding to their advantage if they both make it to the merge but are actually working together.

I'm probably just overthinking it, but I really can't believe Rob wouldn't tell Sandra about being on this season and Amber being out of the game is best-case scenario for him right now and blaming Sandra for it sets up a huge feud that could be used to their advantage if it's really a set-up.
That would be feasible... except for the fact that would entail they're also lying to the producers about it because Sandra's initial displeasure about Rob and Amber being together on this season was relayed to us via confessional and NOT to the other folks on Dakal.

Some people incorporate lying to Production into their gameplay (i.e. Danni). But that hasn't been something Sandra or Rob have done before in their previous stints playing the game. It's pretty likely this is a legit beef. Amber also relayed in her pre-game interview with ET Canada that Rob told her not to trust Sandra.

Last edited:

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Total conspiracy theory here, but I find it really hard to believe that Rob wouldn't tell Sandra on Island of the Idols that he was going to do Season 40.

In that case they really took that 'plan' far. Sandra brought it up again at the premiere a few days ago, and Rob told her he didn't mean it in a bad way. I think it's quite real. There's no reason to continue the ruse after the game is over.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017

1) Sandra seemed mad at Rob on the episode itself
2) Rob and Amber shit-talked Sandra and voted for her as the person they want to get out first on their Dalton Ross interviews. Rob also specifically says in that interview that he wasn't interested in working with Sandra.
3) As someone mentioned above, 2 days ago at the premiere they talked about it and there STILL seemed to be tension/weirdness between Sandra and Rob.

So Occam's Razor - Rob didn't tell Sandra that he (or Amber) was going to be on this season and Sandra didn't trust him after that. Incredibly stupid move by Rob that cost him any shot of Sandra and Amber ever working together.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
Incidentally, I also love that Sandra paired up with Sarah and Tony. That's a group that's motivated to work together because of their respective reputations and it will serve their interests so long as they're able to keep their egos in check.

While I enjoy this alliance, this is one of the most combustible alliances in history. No way it lasts till the merge lol

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
What does it matter if he told her or not?

To Sandra it comes off as she should instantly be worried about him and that he doesn't want to work with her. To everyone else, they seem to just think it's a lie.

I can't tell if this is a rhetorical question or sarcastic or sincere. He didn't HAVE to tell her, but it can definitely be perceived in ways that impact the game.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember where I heard this (ET Canada interviews?) but I believe Sandra said yes right away when they asked them during S39. Rob was a hard no. And then later, Jeff Probst really pursued him and convinced him to play (+Amber). So from Rob's perspective, there is no slight to Sandra at all, it just took more organizing/coaxing to get him out there.

Frankly, Sandra's feud with him is petty and makes me think something specific went down during pregame. She is so weird and finicky where she gets this idea and then that person is dead to her. And then later she'll get over it. I think Rob is catching her at a bad time.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
She literally might have the most well-played season of all time lol. What an odd choice to single out as a poor player, it just makes you look silly

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
It was a great premiere episode by the way. I was so nervous all the time, especially for Kim in the second half. It was indeed weird to see her in this position, and I'm very curious if she'll be able to get back into the game, now that the biggest pressure is off that group with Amber being gone.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She literally might have the most well-played season of all time lol. What an odd choice to single out as a poor player, it just makes you look silly

Bro come on now......come on.

Anyways. I forgot how many of these winners I enjoyed watching last time. I'd be ok with like 3/4 of these people winning this season so it's better than a regular season where I hate 3/4 of the cast lol.

I forgot how great Tyson is, love that dude. And Yul. Plus it's nice to see an older more mature Parvatti playing the game, even though I thought she was fantastic back in the day.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
While I enjoy this alliance, this is one of the most combustible alliances in history. No way it lasts till the merge lol
Frankly, I think it was in the interests of both Yul's disconnected winner alliance and Sandra's mutual threat level alliance to keep Tyson inextricably linked to his perceived poker alliance anchors. That would have afforded them the opportunity to still have a noteworthy target should they happen to return to tribal.

Offering Tyson a lifeline he frankly wasn't due when they already had the votes was an egregious error. Now Tyson has been afforded some measure of protection, Kim has been completely neutralized to a non-threat with no established game in-roads and Amber is still off to the Edge as she was always going to be.

Next time Dakal goes to tribal, both Yul's alliance and Sandra's alliance now have some manner of risk to get booted as they'll be targeting one another and Sandra has an idol to put her 3 votes on someone else should they guess correctly. You can potentially mitigate that with a forced tie should you split the votes... but that's assuming Yul's Crew+Tyson+Kim will all vote together. That's a big assumption.

For all of the poker alliance chatter that was put out there, they've effectively scurried off to a much-reduced target after suffering a single casualty... someone who wasn't even at the poker table.

That said, the above is all moot should an early swap be in the cards and this incarnation of Dakal doesn't go to tribal again.

Frankly, Sandra's feud with him is petty and makes me think something specific went down during pregame. She is so weird and finicky where she gets this idea and then that person is dead to her. And then later she'll get over it. I think Rob is catching her at a bad time.
They were pre-gaming in media sequester with the same gender so I have to imagine that Amber's evasiveness caught Sandra off-guard and rubbed her the wrong way. Sandra has never played Survivor with Amber before and Amber's "I'm just happy to be here / I don't know what's going on" demeanour juxtaposed against Boston Rob's token matter-of-factness probably had Sandra smelling that something was off even if it was largely something invented in her own head.

I suspect Rob imagined that Sandra might react this way and tried to couch Amber on how to deflect it but Amber has never been good at playing the Survivor game for herself without some semblance of direct guidance from either Jerri (Australian Outback) or Rob (All-Stars).

Rob could have easily quashed this had he and Sandra been matched up together on the same tribe but he was not afforded that luxury.

Last edited:

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017

She defaulted into a win. If there's one good thing about her returning, it's that maybe the internet narrative of her being some Survivor mastermind gets torn apart. If episode 1 is anything to go by, it's looking promising.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
She defaulted into a win. If there's one good thing about her returning, it's that maybe the internet narrative of her being some Survivor mastermind gets torn apart. If episode 1 is anything to go by, it's looking promising.

Her being targeted had very little to do with her, and she went to the people she saw as having the power and tried to get closer with them. Even with her being targeted I can't see this being really all that bad for her gamewise.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Kim and Ben might not be the best out there, but they're still experienced and successful players. This season will be very different because half the group isn't a bunch of naive idiots or floaters with zero strategy.

It sure looks like the Edge of Extinction players are going to have a huge impact on the game. They're not getting discarded and ignored until they get their 2nd chance, they're getting powerful poker chips to influence gameplay. Very interesting twist.

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea how people just allow Sandra to exist lol.
Her staying past merge will kill this season for me I can't take it

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Honestly what I'm hoping is for one of the older players who hasn't come back multiple times to end up winning. Yul, Sophie, Danni. It'd be awesome to see a two-time winner who has won the only times they played the game. Sandra used to be that, but. :(

I think Yul, Sophie, Danni, and Ethan are gonna be the main four I end up rooting for although honestly I like everybody. This is a strong season.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Logistical question: Do the players each have a bag or something, outside of the camp area, where it's a rule that other players can't touch or access? And then production drops the token in there overnight? I'd imagine there's something like that given the need for precriptions, certain hygienic supplies, etc.

It got me wondering when Jeremy received his token, seemingly in the morning.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Logistical question: Do the players each have a bag or something, outside of the camp area, where it's a rule that other players can't touch or access? And then production drops the token in there overnight? I'd imagine there's something like that given the need for precriptions, certain hygienic supplies, etc.

It got me wondering when Jeremy received his token, seemingly in the morning.
Production just gives it to them. Maybe not the tokens specifically, but if not they just leave it there and lead them over for an interview, same difference.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was funny they brought camera gibs out for the first episode. "We're going to get those cinematic ass shots with this cast!" Then they were basically the camera floating up while they sit on the shelter lmao

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Most of them were carrying a blue bag to tribal. I don't recall ever seeing that before. Since getting "gifts" from Extinction Island looks to be a regular occurrence, perhaps they now have a special satchel that is off limits to everybody else. I always thought rifling through belongings was scummy, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a rule change about it.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Most of them were carrying a blue bag to tribal. I don't recall ever seeing that before. Since getting "gifts" from Extinction Island looks to be a regular occurrence, perhaps they now have a special satchel that is off limits to everybody else. I always thought rifling through belongings was scummy, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a rule change about it.
I mean, they did say you can't have your tokens stolen, and we know you can't steal idols and stuff. So n ot sure it makes a difference. I do imagine they provided bags just so everyone at least had something to put their stuff in, knowing there would be stuff.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I mean, they did say you can't have your tokens stolen, and we know you can't steal idols and stuff. So n ot sure it makes a difference. I do imagine they provided bags just so everyone at least had something to put their stuff in, knowing there would be stuff.
Knowledge is power. They can't steal stuff, but knowing a player has an idol is a big deal. Ransacking their belongings to find out shouldn't be allowed.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care for the secondary island stuff to be honest, just takes time away from the game. Also kinda lost some interest int e episode halfway through but Survivor always starts like this for me lol.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care for the secondary island stuff to be honest, just takes time away from the game. Also kinda lost some interest int e episode halfway through but Survivor always starts like this for me lol.

I was kind of the opposite in that I struggled to care for the first half hour or so. Everything seemed so stilted, with too many confessionals and not enough interactions. Once that more started happening I got more invested. Natalie instantly going to the island and getting an idol was just dumb and annoying and nothing anyone wants.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Hey guys, in regards to our fantasy draft, REDRAFTING IS OPEN UNTIL 2/19. You can redraft any players on your roster who have NOT BEEN VOTED OUT. Make sure to also bench voted out players, etc.
Just a tip on this benching point. Voted out players do still have the ability to accumulate points on the Edge... although it stands to reason that will never amount to more than what you would accumulate with a live player.

Natalie earned 4 points on the Edge in the 2nd half of yesterday's episode due to finding an advantage to sell and then obtaining a fire token from Sandra. Players on Dakal (outside of Sandra and Amber) only accumulated 3 points during that timespan due to surviving the round. So Nat would have technically outearned them.

This will be something people will need to keep in the back of their mind once they're down to fewer than 5 live players on their roster and have to decide which "voted out" players to keep in their active lineup.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Just a tip on this benching point. Voted out players do still have the ability to accumulate points on the Edge... although it stands to reason that will never amount to more than what you would accumulate with a live player.

Natalie earned 4 points on the Edge in the 2nd half of yesterday's episode due to finding an advantage to sell and then obtaining a fire token from Sandra. Players on Dakal (outside of Sandra and Amber) only accumulated 3 points during that timespan due to surviving the round. So Nat would have technically outearned them.

This will be something people will need to keep in the back of their mind once they're down to fewer than 5 live players on their roster and have to decide which "voted out" players to keep in their active lineup.

A great point! Thank you for clarifying. Choose wisely!

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That was so stressful to watch, but fun as hell. Thoughts:
  • Yul motherfucking Kwon. What a boss.
  • Yul & Sophie! And their alliance forming moment was so cute. "You have to like, punctuate that with more!"
  • Parvati and Rob's dynamic was so much fun. And Parvati in general was amazing. Them laughing on the beach together is an all-timer.
  • Tony genuinely seeming to slowplay the first few days makes me happy.
  • Ethan was super funny throughout, and it's still hard to believe he's back.
  • I actually really loved how transparent the show was about all of the pre-existing relationships. It feels unique, and showing a clip from that completely unrelated Poker tournament is wild.
  • Rob breaking Ben was hilarious. Rob also crushed the challenges like a champ. But he's definitely paying for snubbing Sandra pre-game. Costly mistake already.
  • There was some really cool camerawork with their new drones.
It genuinely hurts to lose Natalie and Amber, but both results were preferred to some of the other options on the table tbh. I was so freaking nervous for Denise and Kim lol. I really hope Jeremy is able to turn things around. It'd be cool if her boot drives him this time around, as his did for her in SJDS.

The big question is if this format can hold up at all when crammed into a 42 minute episode. They already struggled to show much from the Blue tribe in the second half.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Sandra is once again the worst thing to happen to survivor pretty much ever. Especially given her vindictive pettiness. She's even gone on record saying she'll target the other women asap so that she's the only "queen" of survivor. She's playing to tank other people rather than anything of her own and it's disgusting.

Apart from that, fantastic episode, and acceptable losses considering the alternatives. Denise <3