• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
SOFYo8w.png

Well, here we are. TWENTY YEARS of Survivor. For the uninitiated, this is either DEFINITELY NOT the season to start on, or (hopefully) DEFINITELY the type of season that is capable of hooking a new fan. Twice a year, 16-20 Americans hit the beach for 39 days and test their bodies and minds as they compete in challenges and vote each other out with the goal of taking home the title of "Sole Survivor" and the $1,000,000 prize. To get back some of the more reluctant former winners, as several have said they wouldn't play again, the show guaranteed everyone a bigger payout than a normal season, as well as upping the prize to $2 MILLION BIG ONES.

After two decades of the fans asking for it, the show has assembled 20 former $1 million winners (one of whom has won TWICE) from all eras of the game to compete in a showdown of the greats. There's even a husband and wife who have both won here. Season 40 begins on Wednesday, February 12th.

You can
watch the first five minutes of the season here.

Also, worth looking back at: In the summer of 2019, when the cast had been leaked and the show was filming, some members of ResetEra in the season 38 thread got together and picked three contestants who we thought might go the distance.
Here are the results of that pick three.

SIDENOTE: CHECK OUT THE
NON-US SURVIVOR THREAD FOR DISCUSSION ON THE INTERNATIONAL AND FAN-RUN VERSIONS OF THE SHOW. Australian Survivor season 5 that's currently airing is ALL STARS! So far it's amazing, and you shouldn't miss it if you're a fan of this show.

SWm0WfK.png

Join us! Once again, you can claim the title of SOLE SurvivERA. Join our uncapped custom league by signing up for free (using your username so we know who's who) at Tribal-Council.com. Click "Join Private League" when you first login and enter the league code: 74bc35a3965a750f

If you've played before, your login will still work. For those new to this - pick 8 people right away and click save changes. Then on the next step, choose which 5 are starting (earning points) and which 3 are benched. You can keep changing your picks and who is starting until about an hour before the season starts. Better to have picks you don't like then forgetting to sign back in and have picked no one at all. The website has a rules category so you can see how points are earned and lost, but honestly - no way to really know how anyone is going to do pre-season. You're mostly just picking your favorite winners or people who you think will go far. There will be a few times during the season in which you will have the opportunity to redraft players on your roster who haven't been voted out yet. You're stuck with voted out contestants, so choose wisely!

8pU47Xm.png

Edge of Extinction: It's baaaaaack. The twist that produced season 38's controversial winner returns, and Jeff explains it's to keep favorite characters on our TVs longer, and also incentivize some reluctant winners to return for this season. Voted out contestants are given the option to go to an island with limited resources and have at least one chance to get back into the game via a challenge. Most likely, like in season 38, they will get a chance at the merge, and another chance around final 5 or 6. Hopefully, this person is not given an immunity idol upon returning like last time.

Fire Tokens (aka Survivor Currency): This is the season's big new twist, and it's one that Jeff suggests could be a permanent wrinkle in the game, much like the hidden immunity idol, going forward. Each player will start off with one ProbstBuck©, and additional currency can be earned in various ways throughout the season such as winning a challenge. Players can buy advantages in the game as well as comfort items. Contestants can pool their currency. If they are voted out, they must will their remaining fire tokens to someone still in the game. Players on the Edge of Extinction can also somehow earn fire tokens to buy comfort for themselves, as well as advantages that can be sent to players still actively in the game who then have the option to buy said advantage if they have the required amount of currency. It's all very confusing, but let's just see how it plays out. Here is everything we currently know about fire tokens all in one place.

kYzX8Ds.png

kvUIQ95.png
From left to right:
Tony Vlachos - Winner of Season 28 (Cagayan), also appeared on Season 34 (Game Changers)
Wendell Holland - Winner of Season 36 (Ghost Island)
Amber Mariano - Winner of Season 8 (All Stars), also appeared on Season 2 (The Australian Outback)
Kim Spradlin Wolfe - Winner of Season 24 (One World)
Sophie Clarke - Winner of Season 23 (South Pacific)
Nick Wilson - Winner of Season 37 (David vs. Goliath)
Sarah Lacina - Winner of Season 34 (Game Changers), also appeared on Season 28 (Cagayan)
Yul Kwon - Winner of Season 13 (Cook Islands)
Sandra Diaz-Twine - Winner of Season 7 (Pearl Islands) AND Season 20 (Heroes vs. Villains), also appeared on Season 34 (Game Changers), and as an advisor on season 39 (Island of the Idols)
Tyson Apostol - Winner of Season 27 (Blood vs. Water), also appeared on Season 18 (Tocantins) and Season 20 (Heroes vs. Villains)

9qsDOPS.png
From left to right:
"Boston" Rob Mariano - Winner of Season 22 (Redemption Island), also appeared on Season 4 (Marquesas), Season 8 (All Stars), Season 20 (Heroes vs. Villains), and as an advisor on season 39 (Island of the Idols)
Natalie Anderson - Winner of Season 29 (San Juan del Sur)
Ethan Zohn - Winner of Season 3 (Africa), also appeared on Season 8 (All Stars)
Parvati Shallow - Winner of Season 16 (Fans vs. Favorites), also appeared on Season 13 (Cook Islands), and Season 20 (Heroes vs. Villains)
Ben Driebergen - Winner of Season 35 (Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers)
Michele Fitzgerald - Winner of Season 32 (Kaôh Rōng)
Danni Boatwright - Winner of Season 11 (Guatemala)
Denise Stapley - Winner of Season 25 (Philippines)
Jeremy Collins - Winner of Season 31 (Cambodia), also appeared on Season 29 (San Juan del Sur)
Adam Klein - Winner of Season 33 (Millennials vs. Gen X)

pZHVEN7.png

O7qFouU.png

xxNc8SR.jpg

JeHg6kj.png

aRHDuTz.png

Survivor 39: Island of the Idols |OT| tHe iDOlz aRe fORmEr WiNNerZ
Survivor 38: Edge of Extinction |OT| Where Castaways Attempt to Jump the Shark
Survivor 37: David vs. Goliath |OT| Let's Get Biblical
Survivor 36: Ghost Island |OT| Who names their kid Donathan?
Survivor 35: Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers |OT| Hey look at this octopus

That's it. Got nothin' for ya. Head Back to camp!

ekPiWNE.png

Last edited:

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Can't wait for the Survivor overload that is about to kick in beginning with Australian All-Stars this weekend.
And I'm unusually optimistic and invested in a US season as well. Iit feels like an eternity since I've been able to say that.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Whohoo! Excited for the premiere.

Rooting for Ethan, Kim, and Sophie the most, would love to see Yul and Natalie to go far, as well. If we could somehow get a deep run for Tony, this season will probably turn out amazing.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody here used to be a resident of the survivorsucks forum? You couldn't have been a proper fan without using that forum for 1 season :p

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody here used to be a resident of the survivorsucks forum? You couldn't have been a proper fan without using that forum for 1 season :p

I watched season 1 as it aired, and then for some reason fell off of it completely until picking up on season 21 randomly on Hulu about 8 years ago. By that time, the Survivor Reddit was just gaining traction, as well as the community Rob Cesternino has cultivated through his podcast. Outside of this thread, those are the hubs I find myself going to most as a Survivor fan. I do go on Sucks sometimes, but you have to be super careful to avoid spoilers there. Really funny sensibility over there, though. I really enjoy the back and forth.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I used to lurk at Sucks occasionally but got mad when some asshole posted the Final 3 of Game Changers on premiere night (in the general Sucks) forum. If I recall, the mods didn't even get rid of the thread overnight. Was so mad I stopped visiting the site.

I used to post at one of the smaller Survivor sites in the early to mid 2000s and used to do writeups on episodes and stuff. Did writeups for stuff like the Outcast Twist and the Palau Finale.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
This will either be absolutely incredible or the most disappointing Survivor season of all time. There is no in-between.

Oct 27, 2017
Let's go Sandra, Jeremy and Rob.

Jeremy's season is a top 3 season of Survivor all-time for me. Still can't believe how fucking insane those last few tribal councils were.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Technically, if a guy wins this season (which is likely given recent trends), Sandra will indeed remain queen as the only 2-time female Survivor winner.

Every queen needs their king. Obviously didn't remotely work out for him, but I remember really hoping that title would go to Tony in Game Changers.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Every queen needs their king. Obviously didn't remotely work out for him, but I remember really hoping that title would go to Tony in Game Changers.
My hope is that Sandra and Tony do a better job of co-existing on the same tribe this time around. If anything, I think Tony's quick Game Changers flame out might help him this time around as his threat level will be substantially lowered. If the rest of the cast considers him to be a joke and he plays into that image while laying down the seeds of an effective social game, it could pay dividends.

What's the best survivor season of recent memory??
David vs. Goliath and Australian Survivor Season 4 (2017) seem to be the go-to answers whenever this question comes up.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
My hope is that Sandra and Tony do a better job of co-existing on the same tribe this time around. If anything, I think Tony's quick Game Changers flame out might help him this time around as his threat level will be substantially lowered. If the rest of the cast considers him to be a joke and he plays into that image while laying down the seeds of an effective social game, it could pay dividends.

Well, they did apparently bond on their pre-jury trip from Game Changers. And this picture was released in the episode one press kit today, so all of the fingers crossed.

g9mb6njdktd41.png

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Really looking forward to this one. As far as casting goes, the selection of women is near perfect (of course, there's way less female winners to choose from). The casting of the men though. I would've traded 3 or 4 of them (the recent ones: Nick, Ben, Wendell and perhaps Adam) for different men (Hatch, Daugherty, Herzog for example, seeing as Cole and Cochran were non-starters).
But, I love about 15 out of 20, so that's a pretty good score I'd say. Similar to what I thought of the cast at the beginning of Heroes vs Villians. So... let's hope this season is as good as that one!

Rooting for a lot of people, actually. My first pick would be Kim. But, either Parvati or Sandra would be nice too. Both of those would be pretty insane because of how unlikely it is they'll make it. Also, Yul and Tyson.

I have no idea if there are spoilers out for this season, so I don't know if I'll visit this thread that often. I really don't want to get spoiled, certainly not by someone who tries to be considerate by not mentioning any spoilers, but inadvertently indirectly spoils something anyway.

Will join the fantasy league though.

Red_V2

Oct 25, 2017
I think the currency could be interesting but man I wish there wasn't an EoE this season. It's quite funny that Jeff said that it was a condition for some people to return yet many of cast when interviewed about it hate the idea. Otherwise I'm looking forward to this season.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I think the currency could be interesting but man I wish there wasn't an EoE this season. It's quite funny that Jeff said that it was a condition for some people to return yet many of cast when interviewed about it hate the idea. Otherwise I'm looking forward to this season.
Well the good news is that if so many of them hate it, we might get a Jury that doesn't look kindly on someone coming back from it.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Kim might actually have to play a game this time and not get handed her win on a silver platter. Her season was probably the worse I've ever seen.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think the women this season are really well-positioned. They've got real skills but won't have massive targets due to gender perceptions.

Yeah, it's half perception and half being a big name. Once Sandra, Parvati and Kim are gone who is the next big name woman they go after? Amber by association or Sarah because everyone seems to hate her? There is not that many of the guys that aren't a perceived threat but also aren't a big name. Nick and Adam are about the closest you get in the guys. Even people like Ethan, might not be seen as a huge threat, it's still freaking Ethan.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be fun. I'm in.

I have been watching since season 30 or so (other than the first 3-4 seasons) so there are a few unfamiliar people to me.

Are the
fire tokens
going to be found on island as well as
willed and earned through EoE
?

Also does anyone know how to change my team name on the site?

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I like Adam, may root for him. But overall these aren't really my favorite people tbh.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's half perception and half being a big name. Once Sandra, Parvati and Kim are gone who is the next big name woman they go after? Amber by association or Sarah because everyone seems to hate her? There is not that many of the guys that aren't a perceived threat but also aren't a big name. Nick and Adam are about the closest you get in the guys. Even people like Ethan, might not be seen as a huge threat, it's still freaking Ethan.

Even those big name women won't compare to the big name men. I'd say Amber for sure goes super fast. You just can't trust her with Rob out there even if he's on a different beach. She's the biggest threat because she and Rob are actually just one player with two votes.

I think maybe Sandra also has a target. Parvati and Kim I'm not sure on. I think Parvati might be a much different person now that she's not early 20s and has a much different perspective. This may be disarming. Kim was absolutely dominant in her season, but everyone she played with was an idiot except Troyzan. I think maybe she doesn't garner the same level of fear as someone who has been a threat in a returnee season.

Sarah is interesting. She annihilated her returnee season. She's also demonstrated she can learn from mistakes and act on a game plan.If she can make some friends I think she's most likely to win. But if she's not made good relationships outside the game then that could hurt. That said, despite her successes, I don't think she gets enough credit so her threat level will be lower.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Sarah is interesting. She annihilated her returnee season. She's also demonstrated she can learn from mistakes and act on a game plan.If she can make some friends I think she's most likely to win. But if she's not made good relationships outside the game then that could hurt. That said, despite her successes, I don't think she gets enough credit so her threat level will be lower.

I don't know enough to say for sure, but it seems like a lot of people have been talking like not many players really like her. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Think she has the most first vote out votes from instagram and there's been a lot of talk of her being high on herself or having an attitude. I haven't paid enough attention to know if any of this is true at all though.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know enough to say for sure, but it seems like a lot of people have been talking like not many players really like her. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Think she has the most first vote out votes from instagram and there's been a lot of talk of her being high on herself or having an attitude. I haven't paid enough attention to know if any of this is true at all though.

Could be. My analysis is gameplay only. But she made friends in both of her seasons, so perhaps she's good at it on the island. Her game could come down to the first immunity challenge if you're right.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

It probably almost all stems from her ET interview. Confidence is one thing, but it's pretty hard to come out of this looking like someone to root for.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Also does anyone know how to change my team name on the site?

It's annoying that you can't change your name on the site but I have found a workaround. When you're logged in, click "change league" and join either a public league or just create your own private league to dump that account into. Then sign up for a new account with your desired username and rejoin our private league with the code in the OP. Hope this helps.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Is it weird to say Sarah shares some speech patterns with Trump? At least in this interview, the way she says something things or parses her sentences reminds me too much of Trump. Maybe I'm just thinking too much in to it lol

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Yeah, it's half perception and half being a big name. Once Sandra, Parvati and Kim are gone who is the next big name woman they go after? Amber by association or Sarah because everyone seems to hate her?
I think Amber would have excelled in just about any other Survivor format than this one. With an Edge of Extinction in play and Boston Rob in the game and capable of funnelling Amber game advantages from Edge of Extinction (along with the ability to return from the Edge at merge or later and forge an unbreakable pair with her), there's an impetus on everyone's part to eject her as well. I'm not even sure that Amber could give up all of her fire tokens and be spared the wrath of her fellow castaways.