• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Another headscratching update for season 40. I'm personally loving the chaos this is causing among superfans on the internet. I'm really just along for the ride.

Starting to wonder if they're just designing this season with the idea of squashing spoilers for the season, or at least immediate ones. People will be watching these contestants when they return. Can't have weight loss spoilers if literally everyone was sitting on Edge of Extinction for 30+ days. Can't have family visit spoilers if everyone gets flown out.

Not completely sold on that being part of their reasoning, but I wouldn't be surprised if they took that into consideration in planning things.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Starting to wonder if they're just designing this season with the idea of squashing spoilers for the season, or at least immediate ones. People will be watching these contestants when they return. Can't have weight loss spoilers if literally everyone was sitting on Edge of Extinction for 30+ days. Can't have family visit spoilers if everyone gets flown out.

Not completely sold on that being part of their reasoning, but I wouldn't be surprised if they took that into consideration in planning things.
100% deliberate. They know the history here.

Oct 28, 2017

Sounds reasonable.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if those last two rumors work in tandem

There is no family visit challenge, but you can pay to see them at a certain point.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I bought a couple months of CBS All Access for the new season of Big Brother but unfortunately the current season is trash. Shame, but hey, now I can catch up on the last two seasons of Survivor that I missed. First up, David vs Goliath. It was really good! In fact, maybe one of my favorite seasons now? Definitely one of my favorite casts. I couldn't get over how well crafted it was episode to episode. It was a lot of fun watching the ever changing dynamics throughout the season. It never started to get static like so many seasons tend to do post merge. Lot of great tribals here. Outside of a couple premerge boots, nobody felt shortchanged by the edit. I felt like every player in the finale would have made a solid winner.

• I liked Nick. The good ole country boy charm is kind of irresistible to be honest, but unlike JT , I felt like he was capable of scheming properly. I'm looking forward to him on All-Winners.
  • The Idol Nullifier being played perfectly must have been a dream come true for production. Jeff handled that moment so well. That was a top 10 blindside right there.
  • I can't remember the last time a season had dynamics this fluid. One episode Christian and Gabby are thick as thieves, the next episode she's gunning for him!
  • I liked Angelina, but I'm not surprised she ended up a jury goat. Bringing up the rice thing over and over again isn't going to endear you to anyone lol.
  • I love how Christian said "see you soon" to Gabby when she was voted out. He was gone the next episode. It's like poetry.
  • There's a lot of people here I want to see again. Christian, Gabby, Angelina, Davie, Kara, and Natalie. Especially Natalie. CBS really needs to do another Second Chances season already.
  • I'm not a fan of this new jury format. I much prefer the old style of jurors going up one by one to talk to the finalists. This new format just feels too... casual?
  • Didn't the reunion show used to be an hour long? Am I just crazy? It felt so short.
  • This is probably the best season since Cagayan. Top tier stuff.
Onto Edge of Extinction.

I don't think they care that much. All-Star seasons are always spoiled like crazy. Players can't wait to tell their fellow Survivor buddies how things went down when they return and information ends up spreading like wildfire. Give it a month or two and there'll be a full bootlist out there. I think the main reasoning is that players like Tony, Parvati, Sandra etc. all stand a very good chance of going out early, so CBS wants to keep them around as long as possible. Nobody wants another Game Changers.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From stuff that came out about unaired portions of FTC, it sounded very much like Mike would have won the game if no money were on the line.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody wants another Game Changers.

Part of how to ensure we don't get another Game Changers is to cast returning players of equal caliber. CBS needs to take a page on future All-Star seasons from Heroes vs. Villains and well.. all stars. Second Chance worked because they were all on the same exact playing field, and the fans voted them in so it could only be our fault if we got a Monica over a T-Bird or a Vytas over a Shane.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Game Changers casting was a complete disaster, yeah. You don't put Tony and Sandra with scrubs like Troyzan and Sierra.

bananabread

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys!

Thought this might be the place to share a project that a friend of mine works on in his spare time. I haven't followed the show for years, but I was surprised by the production values and the hometown charm sucked me into watching the entire first episode.

Loved the 'exotic wildlife' shots where it's just a duck or a caterpillar.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys!

Thought this might be the place to share a project that a friend of mine works on in his spare time. I haven't followed the show for years, but I was surprised by the production values and the hometown charm sucked me into watching the entire first episode.

Loved the 'exotic wildlife' shots where it's just a duck or a caterpillar.

Interesting, I recommend you to post it in this thread too:

Non-US Survivor |OT|

Australian Survivor Season 5 starts tomorrow and will be discussed there.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
90 minute episodes with the GOAT cast, this is incredible. No amount of dumb twists will ruin this season for me. We might get another 39 days of Tony 😭😭

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
90 minute episodes with the GOAT cast, this is incredible. No amount of dumb twists will ruin this season for me. We might get another 39 days of Tony 😭😭

We can dream! It's super selfish, but I'm okay with
the edge being back just so we can potentially get more Tony if he's voted out.

Did 90 minute episodes get officially confirmed?

Not officially. A prominent Survivor spoiler who has been accurate in the past posted it over at Survivor Sucks and the community is running with it. Hopefully it comes to pass.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
We can dream! It's super selfish, but I'm okay with
the edge being back just so we can potentially get more Tony if he's voted out.

I'm fully with you. Edge is bad gameplay wise but with this cast and potentially longer episodes, it could make for great TV. It always sucks when the best returnee players get voted out early, getting to see them stick around on my TV for the rest of the season is dope.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching this season midway through. Did it get any better?

Oct 25, 2017
What other season/s had all extended episodes(or mostly double episodes every week)
I remember those being infinitely better for just pacing and entertainment.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I mean the American one,
I feel like there was a season or two at least where CBS had extended episodes or doubles for a decent bit like they were trying to cram the season in a gap or something.
And I always remember how much more I liked that format and Australia's each season.

Last edited:

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Season 40 might be airing the same time as Star Trek Picard so I would be ok with that 👀
I honestly wouldn't mind it, either. It makes sense to leverage streaming platforms in this manner using your mainline broadcast network as a gateway to bring in new subscribers. Offering expanded Survivor content on All Access that serves as a worthwhile complement to the mainline show is just good business sense. I know I'm not going to want to go back to a shorter episode format for Season 41.

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a full confirmed list of S40 cast? Can't search spoiler sites because they probably spoil quite a lot more than that (don't want boot lists or winner), is there a list?

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly an AMAZING cast, and anyone who says differently is nitpicking. Sure, there are two CLEAR omissions in
Richard and Tina
, and it would be nice to have
Todd, Earl, Cochran, Fabio, or Bob (I'm kind of over JT at this point)
, but you just can't deny how stacked this cast is. Very very excited!

Eh, it's really about as disappointing a cast for me as it could have been given the premise.
No Chris D, no Rich, no Tina, no Todd, no Earl, no Vecepia, but we've got *checks notes* Ben, Adam, Ethan, Amber and Sarah. I'm happy to see folks like Yul, Kim and Sophie finally come back, but it really feels like a waste of All Winners with a lot of the best winners not playing.

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, it's really about as disappointing a cast for me as it could have been given the premise.
No Chris D, no Rich, no Tina, no Todd, no Earl, no Vecepia, but we've got *checks notes* Ben, Adam, Ethan, Amber and Sarah. I'm happy to see folks like Yul, Kim and Sophie finally come back, but it really feels like a waste of All Winners with a lot of the best winners not playing.

Eh, I think Sarah absolutely smashed her return season. She's a great winner. I'm excited to see her play again.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
General talk on the season 40 cast:

Was listening to a podcast and they brought up how they were surprised to not see Cochran on the cast and how they probably offered him but he couldn't or wouldn't do it. My main take away was that I was actually surprised because Cochran never even came to mind for a potential cast member. No idea why, but just never thought of him and was surprised to see him talked about as a surprise omission.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
General talk on the season 40 cast:

Was listening to a podcast and they brought up how they were surprised to not see Cochran on the cast and how they probably offered him but he couldn't or wouldn't do it. My main take away was that I was actually surprised because Cochran never even came to mind for a potential cast member. No idea why, but just never thought of him and was surprised to see him talked about as a surprise omission.
Didn't come to mind for me either. I think I sometimes forget that contestant was a winner, and not just a big character.