• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Should I make an independent thread for the season 40 game? With this being buried on the last page here, some people who'd want to play might miss out.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Right now, 10 entrants in at three votes a piece,
Denise
is speculated to be most likely to win season 40. Followed by a tied vote between
Jeremy and Wendell

I'd be fine with any of these three outcomes!

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The good news about this season's ending is we'll never see a returnee dropped into the game deep into the merge again. Thank god.

Merge returnees are perfectly fine as a twist. Postmerge is not.

Oct 28, 2017
The good news about this season's ending is we'll never see a returnee dropped into the game deep into the merge again. Thank god.

Merge returnees are perfectly fine as a twist. Postmerge is not.

I could see them returning to Redemption Island. But definitely not without clearing house there once or twice. And not with an idol that functionally works twice.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
The paradox of Survivor producers:

they introduce all these fandangled twists, and they cast all these types of people, and when the twists pan out, or certain cast members win, the show seems to loathe it.

It's like, if you don't want players like Michele to win... or if you don't want the Extinction Island second returnee to win... DON'T INCLUDE THEM.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Once we have cloning technology we need a season that is just 20 clones of Tony. Imagine 20 spy shacks! Television gold right there.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The paradox of Survivor producers:

they introduce all these fandangled twists, and they cast all these types of people, and when the twists pan out, or certain cast members win, the show seems to loathe it.

It's like, if you don't want players like Michele to win... or if you don't want the Extinction Island second returnee to win... DON'T INCLUDE THEM.
My line of thinking is that they DID want the Extinction Island second returnee to win. They just wanted that person to be Joey Amazing.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Yul wouldn't have won without that insanely powerful idol.

potential future season thinking:
Will be interesting to see how far he makes it in S40

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Yul wouldn't have won without that insanely powerful idol.

potential future season thinking:
Will be interesting to see how far he makes it in S40

Hoping he can go far, but expecting the worst because of how disconnected he's been from the Survivor community for over a decade. Then again, new age fans like Adam and Nick will maybe idolize him. Fingers crossed!

By the way, you (and everyone else who sees this) should join our season 40 Pick 3 game! Open for entries until July 1st. Come one, come all!

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I'll take a look and make a post with my picks sometime before the end of the week. I know I'll finish dead last though :D

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
SoleSurvivor Imma jump in with my season 40 picks!

Jeremy, Sophie, Sarah

Honestly have no idea how season 40 will go but i've never been this hyped. We could all think of a few winners we wish were included (or left out) but they got way more incredible players than I thought they would. At least two thirds of the cast are amazing, and i'd be happy with nearly any person winning.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take a look and make a post with my picks sometime before the end of the week. I know I'll finish dead last though :D

Statistically, we can't ALL get dead last. :P

SoleSurvivor Imma jump in with my season 40 picks!

Jeremy, Sophie, Sarah

Honestly have no idea how season 40 will go but i've never been this hyped. We could all think of a few winners we wish were included (or left out) but they got way more incredible players than I thought they would. At least two thirds of the cast are amazing, and i'd be happy with nearly any person winning.

You're in! And I'm in the same boat. I've literally been dreaming about this season recently. Hoping some of the events in them don't come to pass!

Oct 25, 2017
I'll go ahead and join in the pick 3 thing.
Denise, Sophie, Tyson.

But my heart says that the Queen stays Queen.

Hoping he can go far, but expecting the worst because of how disconnected he's been from the Survivor community for over a decade. Then again, new age fans like Adam and Nick will maybe idolize him. Fingers crossed!

By the way, you (and everyone else who sees this) should join our season 40 Pick 3 game! Open for entries until July 1st. Come one, come all!

On the one hand, Yul is fairly isolated (Parvati is the only person he's ever played with, although he might have a connection with Denise due to how close he is with Penner?). On the other hand, I feel like he's going to really benefit from how long it has been for him. If this was Season 20, I think he would have been targeted pretty early on, but with as much time has passed I think he can probably avoid being an early target with all of the other big players around. I think some of the cast might sleep on him.

Oct 28, 2017
I'll go ahead and join in the pick 3 thing.
Denise, Sophie, Tyson.

But my heart says that the Queen stays Queen.

On the one hand, Yul is fairly isolated (Parvati is the only person he's ever played with, although he might have a connection with Denise due to how close he is with Penner?). On the other hand, I feel like he's going to really benefit from how long it has been for him. If this was Season 20, I think he would have been targeted pretty early on, but with as much time has passed I think he can probably avoid being an early target with all of the other big players around. I think some of the cast might sleep on him.

He's never played with anyone. Parvati came later.

OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Just a last reminder to anyone interested that the cutoff to join our Season 40
ALL-WINNER
guessing game
is tonight at 11:59 PM EST. The epic hotly anticipated season has officially wrapped filming, and if they haven't already, spoilers should be rolling out pretty soon (I don't seek them out).

Respond to this post or PM me with your three picks to get in before the deadline. If I read the entry after the cutoff time, of course it will still count. I'm human too!! :)

In the eternal words of Jeff Probst..

source.gif

Oct 28, 2017
So...a twist is coming back for the upcoming all winners season.

And just like that there goes most of my hype.

That twist was completely terrible, but I'd honestly be okay with it if they learned from their mistakes. I also think that the endgame had a very specific setup that allowed the twist to be as terrible as it was and I suspect Season 40 will play out much differently. We'll see. I'd definitely rather it wasn't there though.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
So...a twist is coming back for the upcoming all winners season.

And just like that there goes most of my hype.
I think it can work if they end the twist at merge or, if the keep it, start from a clean slate.

It's probably not going to be as bad as in season 38 anyway because:

a) We know the cast, so we know and we are attached to them already.

b) We know the twist, so they don't have to go out of the way to explain it.

It's so weird they go with this... It seemed like it was not very well received for the fans of the show. I wonder if it could be a negotiation point to get some of the winners there (having a guarantee that they can stay as much as they want in the show).

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I honestly think the twist could work out pretty decent for Season 40... although I'm rather disappointed Richard Hatch isn't there with Edge of Extinction in play.

I hope Sandra was taking notes from Reem on how to really bring the snark to each week's boot. I have no doubt she'll deliver there.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One positive I can see with the Edge coming back is if a favorite gets kicked out early then we haven't really seen the last of them, like Sandra or Tony. This time though they need to end it at the merge.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
They're not going to end Edge of Extinction at the merge. It'll be done the same way it was last season; setting up your expectations for them to do otherwise is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Oct 28, 2017
They're not going to end Edge of Extinction at the merge. It'll be done the same way it was last season; setting up your expectations for them to do otherwise is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Agreed.

The best hope we have is that they make modifications on when players return and with what (hopefully not an idol but maybe just an extra vote or something)

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Twist doesn't bother me too much for a returnee season. I think it would both be viewed differently and we are well aware of these people so it wouldn't feel as sudden/random in the end.

I still hate it, it just doesn't bother me as much.

For those interested, Australia Survivor premiers July 24th.

Thank god!

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Who knows, maybe this will be like Redemption Island and Blood vs. Water where a previously maligned twist totally works in a new context...........nah

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I don't mind the Survivor auction. It's been a fixture in recent Australian Survivor seasons in its original incarnation with a new wrinkle or two and provides a fun alternative to the standard reward challenge rigamarole.

That said, I have no interest in seeing folks on Edge living in luxury after they've had their torch snuffed and influencing the game via some complex/elaborate currency system (that will probably not be wholly transparent)... especially with so many pre-game alliances already in play.