• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I love the Australian version of Survivor! I haven't watched last year's yet, but the two seasons before that were great. Last year's South African Survivor was top tier for me too.

Australian Survivor and South African Survivor are basically my canon now, lol.

Er...what? :lol

Survivor SA is basically a foreign version of mainline survivor, maybe S20-S30 range. It runs short, it's hilarious, but they definitely roll with idols and things get messy. But the strategy is around that era. The complication with SA is that there are a lot of walks of life involved, so there are a lot of edges.

Survivor AUS strategy is pretty similar to the days of alliances and outward control (Vanuatu?), but it's also rapidly changing due to the current format of Champions vs. Challengers (basically, athletes, celebrities, other people of achievement). There are idols, but the crew are also harder on the cast and less likely to directly adhere to rules like idol repopulation. The show definitely likes playing with ideas like poison rewards (the "how best do I lie to my tribe after this?" problem). But it's definitely the closest to original survivor and the long runtime really helps.

As for this next season, if rob and Sandra don't compete, like what's the fucking point? Is this the voice now?

The show would be a disaster if they were competing, and that format was already well explored. This is basically an extension of the Cochran concept they had a few seasons ago (and possibly a way for them to get in shape if the winners season happens?) but I do agree there are some big unanswered questions on the format. Just replacing Jeff doesn't make sense, unless they want 40 players...

ABC123

Mar 1, 2019
Er...what? :lol

Survivor SA is basically a foreign version of mainline survivor, maybe S20-S30 range. It runs short, it's hilarious, but they definitely roll with idols and things get messy. But the strategy is around that era. The complication with SA is that there are a lot of walks of life involved, so there are a lot of edges.

Yeah, there was a lot of idol play in last year's Survivor SA, but I'd put it more in line with a David vs. Goliath kind of season for me. Idols are present, but a large chunk of airtime is spent developing relationships and personalities. A huge storyline in SA last year was how Chane and Palesa couldn't stand Tom for purely personal reasons. Tom flipped on them at the merge for personal reasons. Toni and PK hated Werner for personal reasons. None of it was idol focused or trying to build the biggest resume.

Also, last year's SA had 16 episodes vs. USA's 14. It only runs short compared to Australia unless you're talking about earlier SA seasons.

I don't have a problem with idols and twists inherently. It's when idols and twists dictate everything about the game. When personal relationships are pushed to the side in favor of strategy talks about idols and twists. When people go in specifically trying to build a resume of idols and blindsides and big moves, letting that take precedent over trying to build genuine social bonds.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The S40 players are flying out in 30 minutes. The speculation on Sucks is wild right now, lol (obviously dont click if you want to be spoiler-free on the cast)

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/survivorsucks/s40-spoiler-discussions-t135190-s2020.html

If Tyson is on, he is going to be one of the first people spoiled for sure, since he does that News AF show weekly on Rob Has a Podcast.

The only other winner who is a seasonal guest on RHAP is Sophie. She would often recap the finale with Stephen when Rob is onsite, but this year they got Gabby. Could just be a coincidence, though. They have Adam on pretty regularly lately and he skipped this season too. Maybe casting got them spooked. A lot of them stayed away this season.

We're probably going to get the full list extremely quickly.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RIP.

The S40 players are flying out in 30 minutes. The speculation on Sucks is wild right now, lol (obviously dont click if you want to be spoiler-free on the cast)

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/survivorsucks/s40-spoiler-discussions-t135190-s2020.html
I wasn't expecting Chris, but my god I'm hyped for this season. I am disappointed though that it looks like Todd isn't on.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Really janky and weird season that was fun but really wasn't great for high-level gameplay. There were IMO 3 major problems with the season that really got in the way of enjoying it:

1. The returning players felt out-of-place and didn't add much to the game. I get that apparently they were added in due to last-minute problems with contestants dropping out, but I think that this season really shows that returning players should either play a major role in the season (be at the very least one of the starting tribes) or not be playing in the season at all.

2. This season suffered from the same problem that one of the previous seasons (don't remember which) suffered from: all of the actually good players got voted out very early post-merge as the rest of the players were made up of people that were knowledgeable enough to realize who was running the game and needed to be voted out, but weren't good enough at the game to really take over in their place. Past Wardog getting voted out I feel like the only decent strategic player left in the game was Victoria. (Who I'll get to in a bit)

3. All of the twists and surprises really got in the way of the actual game to the point where people that would otherwise have no business getting anywhere in the game made it near the end (in the case of Devons) or ended up winning it. Chris got voted out 3rd because he was playing the game too hard and it backfired on him. I don't think that there's any way he could win a season unless he was able to skip most of it, he would have gotten voted out within 5 tribals due to him trying to play all sides.

And although Devons is a very fun guy who in any other season I probably rooted for, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth how he was being presented as this amazing survivor player. Just a recap of his plays:

He got voted out 4th
After getting put back into the game in an already tenuous position, he almost instantly burns the bridge with the only alliance prospect he had
He basically has no agency for the first 6 votes outside of the Kelley vote and is on the wrong side of most of them
He largely survives post-merge because there were much bigger targets then him that got voted out before him, not due to anything he personally did
He fails to make a single lasting post-merge alliance that actually works out or betters his game

He's a great showman and he's amazing at selling his plays, but he's not a good strategist and it was annoying just how hard the edit was pushing him. Also one thing I will say about hidden idols is that there is a very big difference between securing one early in the game and holding on to it then once the tide turns against you you read the room and realize that you're next and strategically playing it right when you need it vs knowing that you're going to get voted out unless you're immune because you've played yourself into a corner and then finding an idol to keep you safe several weeks in a row. I really hate how nowadays it feels like there's 2 immunity challenges in an episode with one being the official challenge and then the second one being at camp to find the hidden idol that got rehiden after someone used it.

I'm not the first person to say it, but this season is a textbook example about how massive game twists and hidden idols can take over a season from a strategy standpoint. The biggest problem by far is that there's way too many of them out in the wild (why does there need to be 3 of them in play at all times?) and that them being immediately hidden and put back into the game after being used massively skews the risk/reward of using them. There's not much of a punishment for whiffing an idol play when you can just find another one. I get that hidden advantages can really spice up tribals and lead to some exciting play, which is why I wish they would instead focus more on stuff like the double-vote and the idol nullifier, or maybe when an idol gets reintroduced it only protects you from 2 votes rather then all of them cast against you, so if you're completely outnumbered you'll still get voted out. Advantages should be opportunities for people that can read the situation to get a leg up and turn the tide in their favor, not a way for players that socially ostracize themselves from the rest of the players to get bailed out every vote.

Also jeez Victoria got robbed. With no Edge of Extinction I think she's a lock to win this season. She quietly dominated post-merge, being right on every vote except the one that sent Ron home (which she was still on board with along with Gavin) while winning over the jury and attracting almost no attention from the other players. If Chris didn't come back from the Edge and inform the remaining players that she was the biggest player besides Rick I don't think she goes home. It especially sucks because she didn't get much of an edit so she's probably never going to return despite playing a pretty good game.

Overall I think that the new cast was actually pretty interesting, although once again most of the better players got voted out not long after the merge. Reem made the Edge of Extinction almost worth it for her alone, Wendy was if nothing else interesting, Ron was a funny villain due to how sore of a loser he was, Wardog was probably the most pathetic "challenge beast" they've ever had but was actually one of the most aware and strategic players they've had, (his vote against Kelly made no sense though, I feel like he jumped the gun getting her out massively) and Rick I feel I would have liked more if the edit wasn't so obsessed with him. Despite all the major problems the season had, it was still entertaining so I guess there's that. Really hoping the next one is closer to DvG rather then this one, although the premise for the next season sounds awful so I'm not holding my breath.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow this got wild all of a sudden.
Fabio, Chris D in, Rob and Adam out appears to have happened relatively last-minute.

Fabio got spotted at the airport along with Parvati, lots of signs pointing to Chris D being called up.

edit: Chris D info is legit, Fabio may be someone trolling

Last edited:

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Wow this got wild all of a sudden.
Fabio, Chris D in, Rob and Adam out appears to have happened relatively last-minute.

Fabio got spotted at the airport along with Parvati, lots of signs pointing to Chris D being called up.

edit: Chris D info is legit, Fabio may be someone trolling
I straight up don't really buy anything that's happening right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Really think that Fabio info is a troll, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him again. But not over folks who seem to be on the outs like Todd and Earl.

Oct 28, 2017
My expectation is that they don't enter the game at all...
and that this season is effectively serving as their guaranteed payday so they'd be willing to compete in S40's all-winner season where they'll be lucky to make the merge given how big their targets will be. AND... the fact that they have absolutely nothing left to prove.

I think this is correct. It's just a payday so that when it's actually time to play again, whenever that may be, they're willing to do it. They're both good players with certainty, but they're not that good. There are other winners that are more interesting and at least as skilled, but those winners are also more likely to come back on their own I think. Sandra has won twice and Rob absolutely demolished his winning season, including overcoming Russell, so there's really nothing left for them to do within the game.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
We finally watched the finale. What a terrible end to the season. For the final three none of my family cared at all who won.

And the next season, my god what are they thinking? It looks terrible. I hope they don't kill the show as we enjoy watching it as a family.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
We finally watched the finale. What a terrible end to the season. For the final three none of my family cared at all who won.

And the next season, my god what are they thinking? It looks terrible. I hope they don't kill the show as we enjoy watching it as a family.

Why are you so negative? Try having some optimism about the show you seem to care so much about.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can read minds? Wow that's impressive. But seriously, I can't imagine going into something I love, expecting to hate it. What kind of a way is that to live?
You can read the language he's using and notice that he said things like "thanks for an interesting experiment" instead of "thanks for a great season."

No one was going into it expecting to hate it! People hated it after they watched it, much like GoT's last episode. The problem is that there's a lot of production decisions over the past 4 seasons which make people worry in the same way they did during hte last two dark ages. (11-14, 21-26) Of the past 4 seasons, 1 sucked, two were decent with horrific finishes due to production trying to "fix" the game, and they lucked out with DvG.

Loving something doesn't mean you need to pretend it's always awesome.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Just watched it last night and 100% with Kirblar that Probst was downplaying it. The Thanks for a great experiment shit was totally him not leaving himself open if people are pissed off. He can just say it was an experiment! oops! sorry we messed the show up, here's your all winner season.

the fact that they re-hid an idol for Final 5 and sent Chris in with the two piece idol. Jesus Christ Survivor. What are you doing.

and yeah, without DvG, we'd be discussing this as the new dark age of Survivor.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Just watched it last night and 100% with Kirblar that Probst was downplaying it. The Thanks for a great experiment shit was totally him not leaving himself open if people are pissed off. He can just say it was an experiment!
I mean, Probst is always pretty straightforward about them trying out new things to see if they work. If they don't work, they don't, if they do, they do. In calling it an experiment there is no 'not leaving himself open'. Survivor doing anything new for the first time is an experiment. The medallion of power was an experiment. It didn't work. Probst acknowledged that. Anyway, curious about the next season.

Grexeno

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it last night and 100% with Kirblar that Probst was downplaying it. The Thanks for a great experiment shit was totally him not leaving himself open if people are pissed off. He can just say it was an experiment! oops! sorry we messed the show up, here's your all winner season.

the fact that they re-hid an idol for Final 5 and sent Chris in with the two piece idol. Jesus Christ Survivor. What are you doing.

and yeah, without DvG, we'd be discussing this as the new dark age of Survivor.
The dark age of Nicaragua to Caramoan had the bright spot of Philippines in the middle. We're definitely in another dark age.

ABC123

Mar 1, 2019
The season 40 cast has been spoiled by Inside Survivor if anyone is interested

Women:
Amber (All Stars)
Danni (Guatemala)
Denise (Philippines)
Kim (One World)
Michele (Kaoh Rong)
Natalie Anderson (San Juan Del Sur)
Parvati (Micronesia)
Sandra (Pearl Islands, Heroes vs Villains)
Sarah (Game Changers)
Sophie (South Pacific)

Men:
Adam (Millennials vs Gen X)
Ben (Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers)
Ethan (Africa)
Jeremy (Cambodia)
Nick (David vs. Goliath)
Boston Rob (Redemption Island)
Tony (Cagayan)
Tyson (Blood vs. Water)
Wendell (Ghost Island)
Yul (Cook Islands)

http://insidesurvivor.com/cast/survivor-season-40-cast-revealed

Oct 25, 2017
After getting my hopes raised on Chris D, this is pretty underwhelming as far as All Winners goes. Amber over Tina or Vecepia? Adam and Ben while Chris D, Earl and Todd are left out? No Hatch?!

I mean, I'm happy to see Yul again, but if this the best they could do for All Winners it feels really disappointing.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Women:
Amber (All Stars)
Danni (Guatemala)
Denise (Philippines)
Kim (One World)
Michele (Kaoh Rong)
Parvati (Micronesia)
Sarah (Game Changers)
Sophie (South Pacific)

Men:
Ethan (Africa)
Jeremy (Cambodia)
Nick (David vs. Goliath)
Tony (Cagayan)
Tyson (Blood vs. Water)
Wendell (Ghost Island)
Yul (Cook Islands)

So it looks like people did have the cast mostly right, but with one big thing swapped up.
Rich/Tina not getting on is kind of shocking, but I suspect they may have been cut as this is (I think) the oldest Survivor cast in history even without them, beating out Second Chance.
After getting my hopes raised on Chris D, this is pretty underwhelming as far as All Winners goes. Amber over Tina or Vecepia? Adam and Ben while Chris D, Earl and Todd are left out? No Hatch?!

I mean, I'm happy to see Yul again, but if this the best they could do for All Winners it feels really disappointing.
Yeah, Amber over Vecepia is silly.

Ethan coming back after all the shit he's endured is an insane story, but I think they have way too many "nice guy" male winners here. Chris was exciting because he was very much NOT that.

Grexeno

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, we're getting Rob AND Amber? I'm sad Richard/Tina/Todd/Earl couldn't make it on but holy shit I never thought Ethan would be able to play Survivor again.

Hexagon

Oct 27, 2017
British Columbia
Dang, I was really hoping to see
Chris Daugherty. Guess I'll be rooting for Denise, Sophie or Natalie A? Maybe Sandra could get the third win, but that's a little too crazy.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
I wonder what stopped Hatch from participating. He's been wanting to come back for ages. Surely Survivor wanted him back as well, can't really imagine otherwise.

Dang, I was really hoping to see
Chris Daugherty. Guess I'll be rooting for Denise, Sophie or Natalie A? Maybe Sandra could get the third win, but that's a little too crazy.
Sandra winning again would be great, I'm in for that. It's a little far fetched though. I'm rooting for Kim.

Grexeno

Oct 25, 2017
Ethan coming back after all the shit he's endured is an insane story, but I think they have way too many "nice guy" male winners here. Chris was exciting because he was very much NOT that.
I don't know, I kinda like that having a lot of more easy-going, social-focused men on the cast.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Rob AND Amber? Was that also part of the stipulation to have Rob on? Did he pull a Dr Will?

I could have sworn there was some news a year or two ago that Hatch was denied the ability to leave the country or something along that lines that was keeping him from playing again. I tried searching it, but I could come up with was older tax stuff. Maybe I'm crazy.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what stopped Hatch from participating. He's been wanting to come back for ages. Surely Survivor wanted him back as well, can't really imagine otherwise.

There is no way they cut Hatch. If Hatch was available to them he's on. Legal or health must've stopped it.

This is why:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/sur...ations-discussion-t135310-s820.html#p13217006

He also said on twitter that he was never even asked for the season.

Grexeno

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Hatch/Sue moment is not something you ever want to even come close to digging up.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Women:
Amber (All Stars)
Danni (Guatemala)
Denise (Philippines)
Kim (One World)
Michele (Kaoh Rong)
Parvati (Micronesia)
Sarah (Game Changers)
Sophie (South Pacific)

Men:
Ethan (Africa)
Jeremy (Cambodia)
Nick (David vs. Goliath)
Tony (Cagayan)
Tyson (Blood vs. Water)
Wendell (Ghost Island)
Yul (Cook Islands)

Good list. Kind of a bummer that Richard and Tina couldn't make it, but honestly, I'm more excited to see all of the people return for their second time. Danni, Denise, Kim, Michele, Natalie, Sophie, Adam, Ben, Nick, Wendell, Yul... That's a really interesting list of people we haven't seen in awhile. If any of those players went 2-for-2 like Sandra did initially, I would be totally cool with it.

Rob is clearly going to be the center point that a lot of the alliances/rivalries. Would imagine a lot of their pregame alliances are going to revolve around bolstering his group, or building a resistance against him. Rob/Amber/Tyson/Sandra are all thick as thieves. And he went against people like Ethan and Parvati. Then there's stuff like Natalie/Jeremy, the Sarah/Tony/Sandra mess of conflict, Yul/Parvati. Like with Game Changers, I'm wondering if the Rob Has a Podcast connection is going to loom large with some of these. There's a decent number here who have connections to the East Coast.

This season is going to get spoiled immediately after they're done, so I'm gonna place my bets before they start playing. I'd bet on:
Tyson (very well connected, not as big of a threat as Rob or Sandra)
Danni (who is going to be coming for Danni?)
Wendell (good mellow social gamer who, I think, will be a bit under-the-radar)
Sophie (sneakily well connected with certain people, she's either going to be a very early boot or she's going all the way to the end)
Nick (I can kinda see them conflating Nick and Adam as the young recent winner dudes, and Adam getting picked off)
Natalie (good team player, strikes me as someone really difficult to get rid of, if she can get in)

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting Ethan and Amber, but that cast (minus Ben) has me fucking hyped and February 2020 can't get here soon enough now.

Really disappointed though that Hatch, Todd, and Tina aren't on.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting Ethan and Amber, but that cast (minus Ben) has me fucking hyped and February 2020 can't get here soon enough now.

Really disappointed though that Hatch, Todd, and Tina aren't on.
Honestly...I'm only disappointed in one of those 3 not being there.
Can do without Rich and Tina. They're the 'classics' but they both haven't been anything special in their repeat appearances and frankly would be SUPER old this time out too. Todd I would love to see because he was actually a mastermind in a way that would still work

Oct 28, 2017
Very excited to see Tony, Yul, Wendell, Parvati and Sarah play again. I'm hoping at least one of them makes it far.

Really hoping Boston Rob and Sandra are eliminated early. I'm just completely uninterested in them as players. Rob and Amber both being on is basically a death a sentence for them at least.

Knightywing

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The female cast is pretty great, except for Sarah. Amber is definitely the biggest shock, considering almost nobody thought she would be on. As for those who couldn't be on, I would have loved to see Vecepia, Jenna and Ratalie play again, but I understand why they weren't invited back. While I do like Tina, I feel like I've seen everything she has to offer. It still sucks that the first female winner won't be on, but it is what is.

As for the male cast, the less said the better. To me, all the post-33 winners; Adam/Ben/Wendell/Nick, need to leave ASAP because they're all awful (Nick less so). Boston Rob and Tyson can both be fun characters, but that means they can't win because then the edit would take away all of their "fun" traits. The others are mostly great. Jeremy can be fun and Tony is great. Ethan returning is a surprise, but a welcome one. As for Yul, I'm glad he's back even if I don't like him.

In a perfect world, the post-33 winners would have been replaced by Hatch, Earl, Todd and Fabio. While I understand why they didn't invite Hatch (MeToo) and Todd (alcohol issues), Earl and Fabio would have been great returnees.

If the first 7 boots include Adam/Sarah/Ben/Wendell/Nick, I will be ecstatic.

Oct 28, 2017
The female cast is pretty great, except for Sarah. Amber is definitely the biggest shock, considering almost nobody thought she would be on. As for those who couldn't be on, I would have loved to see Vecepia, Jenna and Ratalie play again, but I understand why they weren't invited back. While I do like Tina, I feel like I've seen everything she has to offer. It still sucks that the first female winner won't be on, but it is what is.

As for the male cast, the less said the better. To me, all the post-33 winners; Adam/Ben/Wendell/Nick, need to leave ASAP because they're all awful (Nick less so). Boston Rob and Tyson can both be fun characters, but that means they can't win because then the edit would take away all of their "fun" traits. The others are mostly great. Jeremy can be fun and Tony is great. Ethan returning is a surprise, but a welcome one. As for Yul, I'm glad he's back even if I don't like him.

In a perfect world, the post-33 winners would have been replaced by Hatch, Earl, Todd and Fabio. While I understand why they didn't invite Hatch (MeToo) and Todd (alcohol issues), Earl and Fabio would have been great returnees.

If the first 7 boots include Adam/Sarah/Ben/Wendell/Nick, I will be ecstatic.

What's wrong with Sarah and Wendell? They both played great games against other players who were competent.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I'm going to buck almost all of the trends in continuing to root for Denise once again. Still feel her win in Survivor Philippines never gets the credit it's due despite the fact that she attended every tribal council in every single episode (14 in total) and made it all the way to the end (with a decisive jury vote to boot).

They really flubbed the ball on the male winner side of the board... although it will be nice to see Ethan and Yul again. No Hatch. No Heidik. Sabotaging Boston Rob with the Amber anchor. Tony is pretty much a Hantz that happened to win and has no chance. Ben is trash. If Adam mentions his mom for pity again, I'm going to hurl. Ugh.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to buck almost all of the trends in continuing to root for Denise once again. Still feel her win in Survivor Philippines never gets the credit it's due despite the fact that she attended every tribal council in every single episode (14 in total) and made it all the way to the end (with a decisive jury vote to boot).

They really flubbed the ball on the male winner side of the board... although it will be nice to see Ethan and Yul again. No Hatch. No Heidik. Sabotaging Boston Rob with the Amber anchor. Tony is pretty much a Hantz that happened to win and has no chance. Ben is trash. If Adam mentions his mom for pity again, I'm going to hurl. Ugh.

I agree that Denise is pretty awesome. I'm not excited to see her play again, but she did play an amazing game in her season and deserved the win. I'm certainly happy to see her on the list.

Disagree on Tony. He's much more likeable than Russell. Like Russell, I'm not sure he's capable of winning ever again -- that style of gameplay really demands people not know what to expect from you -- but I would say he's got a better chance than his previous return. I find Boston Rob very hard to cheer for so his anchor will hopefully ensure he leaves and not Amber.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I finally finshed season 38 and wow, at least we can say it was an unexpected finale.

I find hilarious that the casting director was fired after this, when they should fired whoever came up with the twists and the idol spam. Although casting director is probably to blame for the last minute calls for the 4 returnees.

Even if the season was quite bad, I'm sattisfied with Chris winning, he was a better player than anyone else in that top 5. He got effectively 2 idols just by his social game in a matter of hours, not everyone could had pulled that one off. It's too abd we are probably not going to see again plenty of the new people just because it was a bad season.

Oh well, intrigued about the twist for S39, seems a very innofensive twist so far, but we'll have to see what advantages they put into play. I'm assuming both Sandra and Boston will get to be part of the jury, which will change the dynamics in play, since they will ahve to impress people complete outside of the game.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I find hilarious that the casting director was fired after this, when they should fired whoever came up with the twists and the idol spam.
No kidding. Amazing that they set it up so that--thanks to the split idol and the fire-making challenge--the last EoE returnee just had to make it through one vote and then could not be voted out.

Production did everything they could to get Joe to the final TC, which seemed like the whole point of the season, from the get-go. "Voting Joe out this season won't work, because he's a challenge beast who'll win his way back in. Twice if need be! And then we'll give him an idol, too. And fire-making should seal the deal." (That it didn't work is hilarious to me.)

I don't blame Chris or the jury for this season's outcome. Chris played great in the little time he had after returning. And of course the EoE jurors voted for him. If they didn't think an EoE returnee deserved to win, they wouldn't have stayed out there themselves! It lets them imagine how they too would have won, had they gotten back in.

EoE won't return, thank god. But I still really hate the fire-making. Why do I have a bad feeling we'll get burned (ha ha) by it again when
Ben makes it to the end of another season thanks to it?

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I do like the average age for the S40 cast. The physical challenges are going to be a blast to watch, hoping they don't go super puzzle heavy.

Oct 28, 2017
No kidding. Amazing that they set it up so that--thanks to the split idol and the fire-making challenge--the last EoE returnee just had to make it through one vote and then could not be voted out.

Production did everything they could to get Joe to the final TC, which seemed like the whole point of the season, from the get-go. "Voting Joe out this season won't work, because he's a challenge beast who'll win his way back in. Twice if need be! And then we'll give him an idol, too. And fire-making should seal the deal." (That it didn't work is hilarious to me.)

I don't blame Chris or the jury for this season's outcome. Chris played great in the little time he had after returning. And of course the EoE jurors voted for him. If they didn't think an EoE returnee deserved to win, they wouldn't have stayed out there themselves! It lets them imagine how they too would have won, had they gotten back in.

EoE won't return, thank god. But I still really hate the fire-making. Why do I have a bad feeling we'll get burned (ha ha) by it again when
Ben makes it to the end of another season thanks to it?

Surely there's no chance he wins again no matter what.