• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mac or PC?

• I use Mac and prefer it

Votes: 258 12.7%
  • I use PC and prefer it

Votes: 1,049 51.5%
  • I use both and prefer Mac

Votes: 301 14.8%
  • I use both and prefer PC

Votes: 252 12.4%
  • I have no preference in 2019

Votes: 131 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 45 2.2%

• Total voters

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Not sure what window management is about. You snap left or right and you do side by side work. Or you have an app that is properly tabbed and contextualized like visual studio. Having to manually fuck with where windows are and their size is archaic, like 80s and 90s.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You don't and I guess it's because Windows users don't want to pay for quality software. With Windows it seems like there is free software (with a UI straight out of Windows XP era) and expensive/subscription software from big companies with almost nothing in between. I've tried to find quality analogues to the productivity apps I use on macOS and they just aren't there.

Well damn. Please Apple fix the damn keyboard situation.
Yep. Windows has tons of free software, but they are horrible to look at and have been using outdated usability standards.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Use PC at work, use a MacBook at home. Would never buy a PC again if they were the same cost.

Macs just have a better user experience for me. Better keyboard, touchpad, syncs with other devices I own super easily

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I have both and prefer Mac as an OS

l'm kinda in the same boat. I vastly prefer MAC OS over Windows, but I flat refuse to purchase a laptop that won't let me upgrade the internal hardware.

I've pretty much cut Windows out of my life as I have Kubuntu running on my PC and a 13" 2010 MBP that I upgraded with a 500GB SSD (which is mostly used as my take anywhere computer).

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vastly prefer PC, even excluding games. I grew up with a Mac at home and my dad still uses one. The control, openness, and price make it an easy choice. A Mac with the same specs of the laptop I just bought would easily be 3x the price

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I work in a windows environment but most of my work involve either cloud software or databases so if everyone was less cheap I could probably use a mac instead of windows (and there's such a thing as virtualization anyway so no big deal).
Personally I migrated from macbook pro to a surface pro because it fit better my uses.
It's equally expensive in my book and there's a lot of shit I don't use in both cases but convenience being king, I'm not migrating to apple again now that I migrated all my stuffs to windows anyway and I'll be damned if my comp can't seemlessly switch between a pc and a tablet.

My So got an ipad pro, she loves it and I can see why but it can't run the vast majority of software I'm using so...
Maintenance is vastly better on mac though and much less of a pain.
If I had the time and patience to run things properly I would have switched to Linux but even the install process is kind of a pain so fuck that.

For students I can totally see why they would prefer to use mac over windows or even linux though.
Some tools like latex are absolutely painless to use on mac and Mac actually has design standards from this millenium as well.
Also if windows is too big to miss you can actually install it on the computer as well.
Even if it's not the absolute top of the line, it offers a kind of versatility that is very appealing.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I like both for different reasons. For laptops, I don't think anything compares to MacBooks or PowerBooks, personal preference. Touchpad gestures really puts it over the top.

I work as an engineer for the Mac platform in my company and I hate working with it in an enterprise environment. Like holy shit it's crazy how badly they interact with Windows enterprise apps. It's so much easier to make widespread changes to windows. Most fixes are as easy as deleting and recreating the locally cached profile. Remote regedit much easier than messing with config profiles and preference domains.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many times I played around with a Mac and it never really clicked. Their hardware however always look pretty great.

It's been years though, I played with Macs during my teenage years and I'm 30 now...perhaps another honest shake would change my mind.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I like both for different reasons. For laptops, I don't think anything compares to MacBooks or PowerBooks, personal preference. Touchpad gestures really puts it over the top.

I work as an engineer for the Mac platform in my company and I hate working with it in an enterprise environment. Like holy shit it's crazy how badly they interact with Windows enterprise apps. It's so much easier to make widespread changes to windows. Most fixes are as easy as deleting and recreating the locally cached profile. Remote regedit much easier than messing with config profiles and preference domains.
God I forgot about the fucking registry in Windows!
Fuck that Mac all the way.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling. History of similar infractions.
71% of students are brainwashed idiots

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
For a personal user, it's a mess and I agree lol.
It makes no goddamn sense, half of the parameters are in config files, the other part are in registry and of course you can have a database handling this shit as well because fuck you.
Having to maintain software where documentation was an afterthought is painful enough, having to dig through registries, .ini files and what have you because fuck anyone who's gonna maintain that shit is the goddamn worst.
At least that nightmare is over now but by god the day they get rid of that shit is the day I try to offer a champagne bottle to anyone working at msft if I can.

At least with Linux/Mac everything is a file and you can find everything you need in a file somewhere.
Why the fuck did Apple stopped making enterprise ready computers I have absolutely no idea but here we are.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Very fitting since we're over a trillion dollars in debt.

/s

We're given Macbooks in school and 100% I use bootcamp

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Only had Macs in the house growing up as my folks worked in education and got them discounted.

I've owned two Mac Book pros now and they've done everything required of them for my job so I don't have any particular interest in switching to a PC.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
God I forgot about the fucking registry in Windows!
Fuck that Mac all the way.

Yup. That shit just gets janky after a while. Owned windows 10 for a month and had bluetooth devices that I couldn't "forget" without fucking around in the registry. Not to mention the bloat that happens over time requiring fresh installs of windows to "keep it fast".

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
I studied architecture, almost all the software is geared toward Windows so it wasn't a consideration back then. I dabbled in graphic design at a studio after graduating and met this ghastly thing...

r1sESOZ.png

apart from that I just wasn't used to the OS, I find multitasking on Windows faster, my laptop I use for work today has a beefy GPU, the likes of which aren't available in any Apple product no matter how much you spend.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
hurr durr macs are for stupid college students who like to show off.

The local Google office I been in near-exclusively use Macbooks when it comes to laptops.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One problem with these discussions is that "PCs" is a rather broad thing. There's the cheap ones, then there's the expensive ones. Then we got desktop, laptop and tablets. When people talk about build quality in general, I wouldn't be surprised if many think of the cheapest student PCs rather than higher tiers nearing that of Macs. And so on and so on. Not to mention the amount of misinformation (Windows with an SSD starts in seconds, apps can re-open (though I don't know the extent as I don't use it), and so on) due to old beliefs or problems. Makes it feel rather strange to compare.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I bought a Razer Blade 15 which has a Microsoft Precision touchpad, and it's a very Mac-like experience on PC. Glass, ultra smooth, ultra precise, supports up to 4 finger gestures.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I like both for different reasons. Mac for work and their unix-like command line, PC because games.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I got gifted a MacBook Air when I started uni and it's alright but I prefer Windows. I like how installation is handled on MacOS but that's about it. Going to save for a windows laptop I think because it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
So... PC gaming is doomed then?

But seriously, never understood the love affair for macs.

The advantages of Macs are valuable to certain people and unimportant to others. If I tell you I find macOS much more pleasing and practical, you'll tell me that is a matter of taste. If I tell you certain third party apps I rely on daily can't be found on Windows, you'll say it doesn't matter to you. If I tell you I want my computer to work seamlessly with my iPad and iPhone, you'll tell me you don't use those. On the other hand, if you tell me you want to play games on your PC that are not available on a Mac, I'll tell you I play games on my PS4 and Switch.

Obviously, this is not a convetsation with you specifically, more an example of me talking to an imaginary person. But you get the idea.

At the end of the day, it comes down to taste and needs. For me the difference between using a Mac and a PC is a difference between focusing on my work or fighting frustration while trying to focus. Of course, I'm well aware that is not the same (and, in fact, the opposite) for many people.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I can understand preferring Apple based on the style of the brand. I bought a Surface Book 2 because it looked cooler than similarly performing laptops that were half the price. That said, growing up as a PC gamer in the 90's has firmly cemented my position on the Windows side.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
My Mac works seamlessly with my iPhone.
My Mac reboots in under a minute and reopens everything.
My Mac doesn't come with crippling Spring and Fall updates like my work Dell Latitude.

I hate having to use Windows 10 at work.

My PC boots from off to useable in 20 seconds or less.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I bought a Razer Blade 15 which has a Microsoft Precision touchpad, and it's a very Mac-like experience on PC. Glass, ultra smooth, ultra precise, supports up to 4 finger gestures.
I'm glad they've caught up on these. I built a desktop in 2012 that I retired for an earlier one this year. Meanwhile I've been using the same MacBook Pro for 4 years now. Hardware lasts so long these days

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Student here and I got myself a $1k gaming laptop. Because I like to play PC games. If I didn't play games, I'd probably get a neat ultrabook for cheaper than it'd cost a Macbook.

Oct 25, 2017
At least with Linux/Mac everything is a file and you can find everything you need in a file somewhere.
Why the fuck did Apple stopped making enterprise ready computers I have absolutely no idea but here we are.

Except when macOS decided to change the directory for a binary and suddenly stuff like Home-brew or python sym links broke on me. It was a rather simple fix, but that is the one area that drives me nuts with macOS. Why it is still shipping with Python 2.7 in 2019? Just fucking why.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
man I need to find one of these kids to sell my mbp to.

Really want to downgrade to a surface

Shawn128

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised by the passion that people are using to argue for their choice, but I suppose any personal choice would.

My view on this is that the major, real differences people would choose one environment over the other has significantly narrowed where in most cases you can get what you need done in either environment. I have a Windows PC and a Mac at home and regularly interchange with them no problem aside from some specific edge cases (photo or video editing, gaming, etc.).

I think in today's environment and industry, it massively benefits you to learn both environments as best you can if you can afford to do so. The ability to move between Windows and MacOS environments easily is probably a very good thing employment and work/efficiency point of view.

Otherwise the choice in environment is clearly a personal one with several reasons underlying the choice. Doesn't mean it's wrong or anything, or that you're unable to do something that the other cannot, it just fits your lifestyle better.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer macOS simply because of the greater support for 4k+ resolutions. That plus more appealing font rendering is more than enough to make me use macOS as my OS of choice. The fact that it is a gorgeous OS just helps the case even more.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
I primarily use macOS/iOS, although I have Windows & Android devices for cross-browser testing purposes.

I always found the mismatch in the UI that Windows has had for so long a factor why I didn't look back when I got an iMac back in the early 2010's. Microsoft has been getting better over time with Windows 10 especially, but there's still areas that aren't cohesive at all.

Plus the random Windows "lol, this feature doesn't work for whatever reason, good luck finding out why" buggery --- I remember when my Surface Pro 3 after upgrading to Windows 10 had updates, the store, etc. randomly stop working, where only a full wipe & reinstall actually fixed things. Granted macOS has done some weird stuff at times, but generally either it's fixed quickly or it's been easy for me to determine what not to do to reproduce it.

For the web development stuff I do, being able to have a real bash terminal is a godsend in macOS (along with Homebrew to install stuff with). I could replicate that on Windows, but I'd have to resort to something like MAMP or the like. That and how it supports retina/4K/5K screens a lot better than Windows's scaling does.

(Same reasoning is also why I prefer iOS over Android, since I've ran into the same "randomly stops working" bugs with Google's own Pixel devices and I like my phone/tablet to be a "it's just works" kind of device, as customizing it outside of a wallpaper isn't my interest.)

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer using my Surface Pro to my MBA, but prefer the MBA to anything else. Impossible to switch back and forth though - the hotkeys for selecting and moving around text are different and fucks with my muscle memory

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
I have a MBP and a gaming PC. If you pit Win10 against MacOS feature for feature in a checklist fashion, Win10 wins, but MacOS does really really well at its functions. A ton of features are built-in.

Link’s Awakening

Alt account
Banned
Apr 28, 2019
I own both. For school stuff I prefer the Mac. Gaming of course goes to PC.

Mac OS is just more pleasant to use that Windows 10.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Not surprising. Macs are all about basic worry-free computing and are something of a status symbol to boot.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Can't stand macos, despite growing up with both for more than 25 years.

Can't stand iOS either, but I do own an iPad pro 11, as there wasn't too many options in the tablet space, and it was a good deal.