• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
There's organized crime in almost every "major" culture that does alot of bad things. Idk why people think counterfeiting is a Chinese trait?
I never said it's a chinese trait. I said it's common in China as an illegal activity.
There is no such thing as a "illegal" trait about a culture. Crime is an opportunistic thing, not a racial thing.

boomtrick

Banned
Jun 30, 2021
I agree, but one of my biggest concerns around here is the reluctance to label anything negative about race / ethnicity as "racist."
There are negative things about our culture that also deserve representation, and yes, sometimes ridicule.
I'm getting way off topic here, but the point is I don't want media to only represent the "good" parts of my culture.
But carry on about Psychonauts.

I've yet to see any piece of western media that actually tackles "negative" aspects of Asian cultures.

Such as rampant racism and xenophobia that is common among many Asian countries. Especially among China, Japan or Korea.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Should have stopped your essay of a post here.

I mean he's acknowledging how informative this thread has been for him specifically because of how he had a hard time seeing certain problematic elements due to his inherent privilege? I don't think there's anything especially wrong with that. He's not telling OP or anyone else how to feel or dismissing their experiences.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Should have stopped your essay of a post here.
I understand the want to dunk on it but I wanted to be in the conversation and give my perspective. I tried to be respectful in the post but if you took issue with something I said or I was being ignorant I apologize. I wouldn't mind knowing what the issue you had with the post you quoted was so I can try to be better about it in the future. It's definitely a sensitive topic and I mean no disrespect.

NPTinker

May 2, 2020
Don't even bother. As a Latino, I've tried commenting several times on the "Spanglish" debate. You're just going to get drowned out and told your opinions don't reflect that of every Asian person.
Pretty sure if this is brought up irl most people wont care. It's internet being internet

TheRealMoB

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 1, 2020
I understand the want to dunk on it but I wanted to be in the conversation and give my perspective. I tried to be respectful in the post but if you took issue with something I said or I was being ignorant I apologize. I wouldn't mind knowing what the issue you had with the post you quoted was so I can try to be better about it in the future. It's definitely a sensitive topic and I mean no disrespect.

just don't see the need for people to always have to inject themselves and their experience into a conversation that doesn't really have anything to do with them.

Also in regards to the last point — it's not a black womans obligation to be someone who has to call out things that may be questionable in their work environment all the time.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
just don't see the need for people to always have to inject themselves and their experience into a conversation that doesn't really have anything to do with them.

Also in regards to the last point — it's not a black womans obligation to be someone who has to call out things that may be questionable in their work environment all the time.
Thanks for letting me know. Totally agree with your last point as well. I fucked that up suggesting there is some sort of universal minority perspective.

I think I will bounce. I don't want to derail the convo.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
the fuck is up with you people using other Asians as shield to make your own opinion?

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Some people don't remember or weren't around in the 80s when the same criticisms ("sneaky, untrustworthy, dirty, conniving counterfeiters/copiers") were lobbied at Japan.

bic

Oct 28, 2017
No, this is what happens on Era whenever a minority group comes out and tells people to chill when something is being blown out of proportion regarding their own race / ethnicity. Whenever a minority tries to give a dissenting opinion or their own perspective, they're immediately shot down by the 'White Allies" who know better.
I'm Chinese, so I'm not a white ally. Just because like 3-4 Asian people on here said it doesn't bother them doesn't mean they represent the whole minority. I think these conversations are important to have. So shocking, I know, Asian people have different opinions on representation.

If these type of threads bother you so damn much, there is an ignore option.

And the OP is Asian! Oh, but Kirby said only internet SJWs care, so fuck it, close the thread!

Last edited:
"I don't care so you shouldn't care!"

This thread is fucking gross. No wonder lots of prominent Asian members left this site.
No, this is what happens on Era whenever a minority group comes out and tells people to chill when something is being blown out of proportion regarding their own race / ethnicity. Whenever a minority tries to give a dissenting opinion or their own perspective, they're immediately shot down by the 'White Allies" who know better.
OP is Asian. And there are more than a few Asians in this very thread including me that are confused with the game's depiction. What are you on about?

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm Chinese, so I'm not a white ally. Just because like 3-4 Asian people on here said it doesn't bother them doesn't mean they represent the whole minority. I think these conversations are important to have. So shocking, I know, Asian people have different opinions on representation.

If these type of threads bother you so damn much, there is an ignore option.

What I find so weird about it is if this conversation were happening in other ways - for example, if a bunch of gay Republicans were like "I don't see the problem with using the word gay as a slur," but other gay people were like "yeah that bothers me," it's hard for me to believe that majority of posters (here) would be like "see some gay people say it's okay to use gay as an insult, other gay people are just too sensitive, this is just straight people making shit up, no gay person cares about this except on the internet."

Sub in any term/slur. Retarded. Jew. etc

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
I think what the OP is trying to say is that "hey it's a bit of a shame that the only depiction of Asian (Chinese) culture are negative stereotypes and nowhere there's positive aspects of the culture", which ties a bit into the racist view that other cultures can only be full of untrustworthy people and can't be on the same level of western culture. Which can especially be seen as discomforting if you're from that region and do value your personal skillset and trustworthiness for example.

The issue with stereotypes is often not that there's isn't some ground for them, it's mainly that they become exagerrated views of the whole population, which eventually leads to racism treating people as "one and the same". Maybe Double Fine didn't really intend for it be a racist view, but I think it would have been better if they also focused on more positive aspects of Asian culture (even disregarding the current political climate, ancient China has a large cultural heritage) and the personal complexity of individuals. Of course, in a game that's focused a bit on caricatures that's harder to pull off, but I can understand it can be valid criticism to take into account.

Your post reflects what I came in here to say really.

Sorry OP that people here have taken your valid criticism of this game in a weird but I guess resetera expected kind of way. From posts here it's evident that these stereotypes are so subtle that it doesn't even register. It's obvious to me that the level is asian inspired based on the opening of the music alone.
I'm also deeply disappointed by other asian posters dismissing this. Nowhere did OP state they are representing asians as a whole and to have other asians here to dismiss it and not engage at all in any kind of legit discussion is awful.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I read the post. I never said they dismissed anything. Stop detailing the thread.

Yes, it's obviously me who's derailing the thread.

What I find so weird about it is if this conversation were happening in other ways - for example, if a bunch of gay Republicans were like "I don't see the problem with using the word gay as a slur," but other gay people were like "yeah that bothers me," it's hard for me to believe that majority of posters (here) would be like "see some gay people say it's okay to use gay as an insult, other gay people are just too sensitive, this is just straight people making shit up, no gay person cares about this except on the internet."

Plus, there are also bad actors claiming they're x or y and it doesn't bother them so they can shut down the argument.

boomtrick

Banned
Jun 30, 2021

Also internalized racism among minority groups is a real thing.

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Sometimes seems to me that the only option not to be banned in this kind of threads it's to say that the op is right and the thing double fine did is racist.
I think it's debatable if the thing is racist, but it's clear that a discussion kind of start with an already considered truth assumption.

I think they went for the sweatshop vibe. I don't think they wanted to depict chinese like shady criminals like the op is arguing

bic

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes seems to me that the only option not to be banned in this kind of threads it's to say that the op is right and the thing double fine did is racist.
I think it's debatable if the thing is racist, but it's clear that a discussion kind of start with an already considered truth assumption.

I think they went for the sweatshop vibe. I don't think they wanted to depict chinese like shady criminals like the op is arguing
Multiple people have completely dismissed the OP and they haven't been banned so not sure what you're on about.

boomtrick

Banned
Jun 30, 2021

Even the "sweatshop vibe" isn't a good look since it's also playing up Chinese stereotypes.

That doesn't mean that the stereotype doesn't come from a source of truth. The issue is that the culture is more than that and there isn't alot of "positive" media to counterbalance.

Like if you had idk evil tech corporations in the u.s that labored its workers to death it would be fine since the u.s has plenty of positive cultural capital.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

or you know you could just shut up and ignore the thread without injecting into the conversation, OP is not asking for everyone's opinion, they are just pointing out something that bothers them. if you have something meaningful to contribute then say so or like I said... IGNORE

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Try to remove yourself from how you frame the thread for a second. You said you're Italian, correct? Whether or not there are Asian stereotypes in the game, does that personally affect you in any way? What importance does the topic have to you besides being a place where you might potentially be banned from a forum? Is the potential of being banned the only major concern that revolves around this thread? Are there other people in this thread that may be affected by them? Are there people who are engaging this topic on different levels or with different motives than you are?

KyouG

Oct 26, 2017
I don't remember the numbers in the report. I rembember the two biggests counterfeiting were asian. So I went to search for you. Funny thing, I said Asia not to make mistakes, but the other big one is Hong Kong (that is China according to chinese government, but this is a more sensitive topic) S https://twitter.com/EU_IPO/status/920919609141874689/photo/1
It's almost 75% China and Hong Kong combined.
So it's racist to say most of counterfeit goods come from there?

I'm only addressing this topic, the counterfeit. I think it's not racist to put a countefeit operation in china. Other things the OP complain are racist, but he had more problem with that than the other things in the game.

I gave you some source, I put a link on the previous post. I have more if you want. But I don't think it's the place for discussing that.

The People's Republic of China (hereafter "China") emerges as the top producer of counterfeit goods in nine out of ten analysed categories. In addition, several Asian economies, including India, Malaysia, Pakistan, Thailand, Turkey and Viet Nam are important producers in many sectors, although their role is much less significant than China's.
from the https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/trade/trends-in-trade-in-counterfeit-and-pirated-goods_g2g9f533-en
Report of the OECD it's very long, you can find all the sources you want there.
Yes, I was going through the report per the edit I added to my original message. I see where you got your 70-80% figure now:

EU IPO report p.17 said:
Counterfeit and pirated products originate from virtually all economies, on all continents. The largest source of infringing products that are seized while in international commerce, however, is East Asia, with the People's Republic of China, and Hong Kong, China together accounting for over 80% of the seizures made by other countries during 2011-13 (based on OECD/EUIPO, 2016).

So yes, China and HK are a major source of counterfeiting, at least based on this report.

As others have said though, the problem lies in that the sole depiction of Asians in the game is being linked to the idea of counterfeiting, which reinforces a commonly harmful stereotype of Asians. Even if we accept that China & HK are the main sources of counterfeiting, I don't think it's accurate nor fair to paint a whole country of ~1.4 billion people as counterfeiters, do you? And yes, just from this thread, we can see that some won't even read the area/character as Asian, but others will--and that view, as harmless as it may seem to you, can get unconsciously weaved into their general view of Asians, and negatively affect how they interact with Asians.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is being temporarily closed as we review an abundance of reports related to it. We will update this post when we are ready to reopen the thread. Thank you for your understanding.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is now reopened. Thank you for your patience.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Several years ago at work, we were discussing reverse-engineering an obsolete component, and the phrase "cheap Chinese knockoff" was said in passing. It was pretty awkward since I'm Chinese-Canadian, and a third of the team was of Asian descent. It was immediately regretted, but what's telling is how naturally the phrase came out. The thing is, I do associate pirated and counterfeit goods with Chinese malls and shops, based on my own experiences in Toronto and in Hong Kong. Still, I think it's unnecessary and uncalled for to tack on the stereotype when you can just say "cheap knockoff".

Anyways, in regards to Psychonauts 2, the fish market part really made me cringe, especially after a wet market in Wuhan was blamed for the covid-19 outbreak. It's easy to not to notice this stuff, but someone did write these lines about carp and catfish.

BAQcie4.png

HPiluaH.png

at7bR89.png

VKYnPIx.png

S6zLOVz.png

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I just feel like I'm coming at this from the complete opposite direction where I feel like I didn't even notice there was supposed to be chinese/general asian implications with the character alone until I realised half the figments were in kanji/hanzi and the name of the market vendors were really asian

like if anything it wasnt asian enough for me to even register

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Also Asian, and yes I agree with this. This is supposed to be offensive?

The amount of dismissiveness coming from Asians in this thread.

Yes it might not be offensive to you, but please remember that not every Asian is the same and not everyone has the same experiences. Yes there may be Asians who have never faced such issues but there are certainly Asians who live in places were there is heavy stereotyping and/or subtle racism. Just because you do not face these issues does not mean they do not exist for other disaspora where evidently a number of members also agree with OP and find issues with the game.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Asian (American) here. This level actually gave me pause at first, simply because it was so heavily Chinese themed. It was a bit jarring. That said, other than the fish market vendors, I wasn't particularly bothered by associating negative stuff with Asians per se, certainly not any criminal element. Fanny didn't even read as Asian coded to me, personally. (And I actually wasn't that bothered by the vendors once I listened to them more.)

But REMEMBER, THIS IS CASSIE'S MENTAL INTERPRETATION of a dark place in her life in a dark place in her "real" life, where she was forced to work in an illegal work - LITERALLY learned to disassociate a sliver of her own psyche into a tougher persona that would allow her to get through this trauma, was arrested and forced to take the blame for her boss, and ultimately had to escape from that life (and.. prison..?) by disassociating *once again* into yet another persona. Yes, it's a dark and terrible place. But why wouldn't it be? And yes, that dark and terrible place is in an Asian-coded locale. I think it's totally understandable why people would have a problem with it. I also don't think there's anything inherently wrong and certainly nothing malicious about it.

Jarring that they used Asian theming at all, when everything else in the game seems so disconnected from recognizable real life. (And yet, it's really not. Does the Gzar's story reflect on Eastern Europe.. kinda? eh? Should Psi King's level reflect on the values of 70's America? Or Ford's levels on 50's America? (Or whatever.) Eh... Not really?) It's just that this sub-level is the most instantly uniquely recognizable one in this respect.

It would be entirely uncontroversial if they had made her not Asian. [Even if that meant all the Psychic 7 were white except for the one who became the murderous main antagonist.... I guess...] It is what it is. And I really liked Cassie and her level overall. I understand the criticism. But, I personally, did not have an issue with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 4198

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Asian (American) here. This level actually gave me pause at first, simply because it was so heavily Chinese themed. It was a bit jarring. That said, other than the fish market vendors, I wasn't particularly bothered by associating negative stuff with Asians per se, certainly not any criminal element. Fanny didn't even read as Asian coded to me, personally. (And I actually wasn't that bothered by the vendors once I listened to them more.)

But REMEMBER, THIS IS CASSIE'S MENTAL INTERPRETATION of a dark place in her life in a dark place in her "real" life, where she was forced to work in an illegal work - LITERALLY learned to disassociate a sliver of her own psyche into a tougher persona that would allow her to get through this trauma, was arrested and forced to take the blame for her boss, and ultimately had to escape from that life (and.. prison..?) by disassociating *once again* into yet another persona. Yes, it's a dark and terrible place. But why wouldn't it be? And yes, that dark and terrible place is in an Asian-coded locale. I think it's totally understandable why people would have a problem with it. I also don't think there's anything inherently wrong and certainly nothing malicious about it.

Jarring that they used Asian theming at all, when everything else in the game seems so disconnected from recognizable real life. (And yet, it's really not. Does the Gzar's story reflect on Eastern Europe.. kinda? eh? Should Psi King's level reflect on the values of 70's America? Or Ford's levels on 50's America? (Or whatever.) Eh... Not really?) It's just that this sub-level is the most instantly uniquely recognizable one in this respect.

It would be entirely uncontroversial if they had made her not Asian. [Even if that meant all the Psychic 7 were white except for the one who became the murderous main antagonist.... I guess...] It is what it is. And I really liked Cassie and her level overall. I understand the criticism. But, I personally, did not have an issue with it.

Cassie isn't a real person though, so it's really the developers' choice to present Asia like this using negative stereotypes, not some real person's negative memories. Although I would side eye a real person who's conception of Asia was "dirty food markets, counterfeiters, and untrustworthy scammers I need to run away from" as well tbh. This seems similar to other "the plot requires the racism/sexism" justifications, like how we should be ashamed of our words and deeds because Quiet needs to breathe from her skin, and therefore her sexualization is justified by the plot.

Also the slant eyes depiction of Cassie isn't in her mind but is in the psychonauts hq.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thank you for the awareness about this. So there really isn't any positive depictions about Asians or Asian culture in the game? Being a South Asian, I'm used to expecting only negative depictions, racism, or victimising portrayals of my culture or home country, so having only one form of representation can be debilitating. Like is this all we are to you?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
So there really isn't any positive depictions about Asians or Asian culture in the game?

The character in question is well written, voiced by an Asian-American voice actress. There aren't real world locations in Psychonauts, but if the soundtrack is any indication her mindscape is at least partially based on Shanghai and seemingly not successfully. The games (especially the first) do lean into stereotypes for comedy. Its worth watching the playthrough linked in OP to get an idea.

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I'm sorry. Please shut the fuck up and let Asian people speak for themselves instead of using them to shut down a conversation you dislike.

Here comes the "I'm not Asian, but my wife is so let me talk all over you" post.

Please stop using your wife and the fact she's Asian to push your point.

I haven't gotten to that level yet so I'm just reading what everyone else thinks but I just wanted to say that your tone is a bit too confusingly hostile. In a (healthy) interracial relationship, talking about how the other person views racial representation and what changes they want to see in media is like a third date conversation and it would be totally normal for someone to understand how their spouse feels about those things.

However, I get being skeptical of any second-hand account being shared on the internet because I have seen people on forums pretend to be a minority or pretend that they know a minority to try to sway a conversation, but it's important to specify that the problem is that you can't debate somebody who isn't present rather than that a person wouldn't know what their spouse really thinks about something like this.

Maybe I'm being pedantic.

"Hiya Tim mate are you subconsciously a racist?"

I'm not east Asian and I've never tweeted before but I don't see anyone else doing it so:

It looks like you can't direct message him so I just used the @ thingamobob.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't gotten to that level yet so I'm just reading what everyone else thinks but I just wanted to say that your tone is a bit too confusingly hostile. In a (healthy) interracial relationship, talking about how the other person views racial representation and what changes they want to see in media is like a third date conversation and it would be totally normal for someone to understand how their spouse feels about those things.

However, I get being skeptical of any second-hand account being shared on the internet because I have seen people on forums pretend to be a minority or pretend that they know a minority to try to sway a conversation, but it's important to specify that the problem is that you can't debate somebody who isn't present rather than that a person wouldn't know what their spouse really thinks about something like this.

Sure. If it was any other topic or thread. But we're talking about sensitive issues that affect Asians, so the rules aren't the same. This is meant to be a thread where minorities can make their voices heard, but we had a white person use their Asian wife to defend their statements. It comes off sounding like "But I have a black friend" or other similar remarks that are used to deflect criticism and legitimise their" understanding" as being on par with ours. It's a tactic used time and time again to undermine minority voices, because having a friend or wife suddenly makes them an additional "legitimate voice" in the room, but we know that ain't flying.

Maybe some people do have an actual good understanding of their spouse's culture. But any good spouse would let their significant other speak for themselves, and not try speak on behalf of them, especially when it's an important or sensitive topic. Especially, in cases like this when its used as a counter-argument against ACTUAL minorities speaking in the room.

Listen. To. Minorities.

My post came off hostile because in almost every thread discussing Asian issues, there is always a "My Asian wife" thinks this or that, and I am so over it. If you've been reading ERA long enough to start posting in sensitive threads, you know this is the red line and this makes Asians very upset, so why do it people?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely made me a bit uncomfortable when I saw it, and I think some of the imagery could have used some...eh, tweaking, but am I the only person who thought that the thing they were going for was pre-war British Hong Kong , where specifically a lot of the friction and crime we associate with that kind of depiction was a result of a bunch of westerners basically exploiting Hong Kong as their cash cow trading post?

OP
OP

Deleted member 4198

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely made me a bit uncomfortable when I saw it, and I think some of the imagery could have used some...eh, tweaking, but am I the only person who thought that the thing they were going for was pre-war British Hong Kong , where specifically a lot of the friction and crime we associate with that kind of depiction was a result of a bunch of westerners basically exploiting Hong Kong as their cash cow trading post?

I could see it, although Psychonauts 2 soundtrack apparently calls the track "Cassie's Library and Shanghai Memories" so it's like based on Shanghai.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Official Staff Communication
"As a reminder, if you're Asian and disagree with the thread premise, then you can do so without being dismissive of those who do find the depictions to be problematic. If you're not Asian, then it's best to listen to and consider what Asian members have said before posting. Carry on."

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

My main concern is that this tends to happen in threads of Asian issues of any sort when nobody steps in. Relevant voices are stepped over to dismiss the topic as neatly as possible, usually because asking for even the slightest amount of recognition of racism is too many for many. That had already started to happen in this thread, where the OP was started to be delegitimized under claims that they were actually because surely only a white person overreacting, presumably because a real Asian wouldn't think this was racist. That specific behaviour is also one I've seen before.

While I recognize that you'd have access to someone else's views on racial representation in a marriage, if you look at the post again, note how it says "she would be scratching her head" not "she is scratching her head". He didn't ask for his wife what she thought and relay that, he was assuming what her views would be and using his wife as license for that that assumption to be taken as of equal value to a direct statement. Tone and decorum is less of an issue than if racial representation is able to be questioned without reactively being shouted down.

Now, I don't think the guy's wife or anyone else has to agree with the OP, and plenty have disagreed without much pushback if I'm not mistaken. I also don't think anyone should be excluded from the conversation, but people do have differing level of connection to an issue, so some people can discuss the matter as a personally relevant issue and some people can only discuss it from an academic standpoint. For some people, the concern with how this thread is moderated is that it demonstrates the pattern of how discussions of issues regarding Asians in general or more specific Asian cultures will be treated on the forum, while for others the only concern is that any time they're discussing sensitive subject matter they're risking getting banned. The person with the greatest distance should not be granted control over the conversation, and probably shouldn't be presented as the greatest authority over the subject matter.

Mar 19, 2020
I'm half Chinese living in the UK. I don't really know my British family because many of them had an issue with my dad marrying a Chinese woman.

I was raised by my Chinese family in the UK and regularly go to China to see other family. I personally experience difficulties in both cultures because I rarely get accepted as white in the UK while I also don't get accepted a lot as Chinese in China.

I don't have strong feelings about the depictions in Psychonauts 2. I feel it's misguided and in poor taste but not necessarily malicious. That doesn't make it okay but I personally don't get offended by it. I think it's good to have discussions about it so people can be more aware of stereotypes. I am a bit disappointed by how some people are carrying themselves in this thread though.

I tend to keep myself fairly low key on this forum and I'm a bit anxious about posting this but felt I probably should.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The art style of Psychonauts, of exaggerated body shapes and twisted facial features can very easily lean into existing stereotypes when trying to portray non-white people. The one black character with the huge lips is one such case, and certainly the looks of Cassie too.
I don't think Double Fine is intentionally doing this, but it's something where having more diversity in the team and awareness of how things might look to people of different background would probably help avoid the worst offences.
I am not on social media, but I agree with what other people in the thread have suggested and get in contact with Double Fine. They seem really cool about these kinds of issues and would probably take feedback like this to heart.