• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/23/business/media/steven-spielberg-netflix-academy-awards.html

This is exactly what I pointed out earlier. Indiewire took a juicy bullshit headline and exploded it like they always do these days. They've become such a clickbait site in the last few years it's crazy.

LOS ANGELES — It has the makings of a great screenplay: As the future of an entire industry hangs in the balance, the ultimate establishment figure — a genius in his fourth decade of domination — goes to battle with a menacing interloper.

That hyperbolic story line has enveloped Steven Spielberg since early last month, when reports surfaced that he planned to propose Oscar rule changes that would block films that are primarily distributed online from competing. "Spielberg: Ban Netflix From Oscars" read one headline.

Unbowed, according to some trade news outlets, Mr. Spielberg will propose his rule change at an Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences board meeting on Tuesday night in Beverly Hills. "The Spielberg-Netflix Showdown" is how IndieWire described the closed-door session in a preview article.

There's just one catch. Mr. Spielberg, 72, will not attend the meeting, much less propose any rule changes. He is not even in town. His schedule has long called for him to be in New York, where rehearsals are underway for his next film project, a remake of "West Side Story," according to a person who works for him, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss his private itinerary.

In fact, Mr. Spielberg's animosity toward Netflix appears to have been acutely overstated.

Mr. Spielberg has been publicly silent through all of it. But inside his company, Amblin Entertainment, Mr. Spielberg has expressed frustration with the way his views about streaming have recently been characterized in the news media, according to two people close to him, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to maintain their relationship. Yes, he believes that theater owners, streaming services and traditional studios need to come together to figure out a way to protect what he likes to call the "motion picture theatrical art form." If the academy were to come up with a reasonable way to ensure that only films with robust theatrical releases are eligible for Oscars, there is a strong chance he would vote for it, the people said.
His primary beef is not with Netflix, according to the people close to him. Rather, he is frustrated that exhibitors have been unwilling to compromise. The multiplex chains have fought off any effort to shorten the exclusive period they get to play films of any genre, which is currently about 90 days. In January, after "Roma" was nominated for the best picture Oscar, Mr. Spielberg even called AMC and Regal, the largest theater companies, and implored them to play the Netflix film even though it was already available online. They refused.
He has a Netflix account and binge-watches the service's original programming — some of which Amblin helps produce, including "The Haunting of Hill House." (Amblin also has series in the works for three other streaming services: "Cortes and Moctezuma" for Amazon, "Amazing Stories" for Apple and a reboot of "Animaniacs" for Hulu.)
"I want people to find their entertainment in any form or fashion that suits them," Mr. Spielberg said in an email in response to queries from The New York Times. "Big screen, small screen — what really matters to me is a great story and everyone should have access to great stories.

"However, I feel people need to have the opportunity to leave the safe and familiar of their lives and go to a place where they can sit in the company of others and have a shared experience — cry together, laugh together, be afraid together — so that when it's over they might feel a little less like strangers. I want to see the survival of movie theaters. I want the theatrical experience to remain relevant in our culture."

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
So the entire thing was bullshit. of course. Why don't the big chains want to compromise on the exclusive time or change the rules altogether anyhow? Although i guess it's better than in the 80s. when i was a kid i recall waiting forever for VHS releases and even longer for the HBO premiere.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Suddenly no drive by posts interested in shitting on "overrated" "old man" Spielberg?

What a difference from the last thread!

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhh there's a reboot of animaniacs in the works? Also, typical. Spielberg never struck me like the type to openly shit on Netflix films to this degree.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Yes, he believes that theater owners, streaming services and traditional studios need to come together to figure out a way to protect what he likes to call the "motion picture theatrical art form." If the academy were to come up with a reasonable way to ensure that only films with robust theatrical releases are eligible for Oscars, there is a strong chance he would vote for it, the people said.

So it was bullshit but wasnt bullshit. Got it.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): trolling/baiting + needless hostility
Obviously I was calling out the use of "old man" as a derogatory statement by a number of posters in the last thread about this. But you guys already knew that.

The stanning you do for old white dudes is fascinating.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So the entire thing was bullshit. of course. Why don't the big chains want to compromise on the exclusive time or change the rules altogether anyhow? Although i guess it's better than in the 80s. when i was a kid i recall waiting forever for VHS releases and even longer for the HBO premiere.

Because they're afraid to compete on quality. An exclusive window is easy $$$.

Quality means giving people a reason to leave home and spend $$$ in your theater.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Good to know where you stopped reading. He was never against Netflix. He's got an issue with the exhibitors refusing to play Netflix's films for longer. He was fighting for Roma to have a proper theatrical engagement with the exhibitors.
I read the whole thing. Dont think anyone ever doubted his motivations. Doesnt change the fact that they're still stupid.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Good to know where you stopped reading. He was never against Netflix. He's got an issue with the exhibitors refusing to play Netflix's films for longer. He was fighting for Roma to have a proper theatrical engagement with the exhibitors.
But because the exhibitors wouldn't keep it in the theater, he supports the Academy if they vote to not allow them.

Why not just say it's a film and allow it in the first place, regardless of theatrical time?

I love Spielberg, he's one of my favorite directors, but he's still basically saying that Netflix movies aren't movies without a long theatrical run and shouldn't qualify. While many of the headlines were sensationalist, I'll agree, the underlying sentiment remains.

Last edited:

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Suddenly no drive by posts interested in shitting on "overrated" "old man" Spielberg?

What a difference from the last thread!

Good to know where you stopped reading.

Grow up. Why are you even in this thread?

I think you should take your own advice and grow up. You clearly didn't make this thread in good faith and you've been hostile (before anyone even replied to your thread) towards multiple people that have a different opinion than you, which seems to be your modus operandi.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I read the whole thing. Dont think anyone ever doubted his motivations. Doesnt change the fact that they're still stupid.
Trying to assist Netflix movies in getting theatrical engagements in an effort to preserve the livelihood of cinemas? What is bad about that when you know he's all for Netflix AND cinemas and is fighting for the two to coexist and fighting the exhibitors on behalf of the streaming giants?

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I think you should take your own advice and grow up. You clearly didn't make this thread and good faith and you've been hostile (before anyone even replied to your thread) towards multiple people that have a different opinion than you, which seems to be your modus operandi.
I'm actually contributing toward discussion and responding to other posters' claims by referencing the article in question. You have trolled and then tried to create a dumb derail conspiracy suggesting I'm stanning for old white dudes. Again, why are you in this thread?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Spielbergs best years are way behind him. But, its good to know that it was taken out of context, mildly.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Trying to assist Netflix movies in getting theatrical engagements in an effort to preserve the livelihood of cinemas? What is bad about that when you know he's all for Netflix AND cinemas and is fighting for the two to coexist and fighting the exhibitors on behalf of the streaming giants?
His cause itself is noble but the motivation to involve the academy (or at least vote with the flow apparently) is what I cant stand. They shouldnt be involved at all in this debate. I also think it's futile. Netflix is here to stay. They dont exactly owe it to anyone else.

A film is a film is a film. Let the Oscar's honor that no matter how they're distributed. Using some sort of power play to disqualify the best movies from being honored is just lame.

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. Not bait. Rather someone who has watched Sculli being a child and salty for years as it pertains to film and people having a different take them him. Never ceases to happen.
In this scenario though, whether good intentioned or not, he has every reason to be "satly." We had a whole thread dedicated to Indiewire's clickbait bullshit that led to 16 pages chalked full of folks telling Spielberg to go fuck himself. Overrated director. Hack. Etc. Discussion might have been more nuanced if not for how Indiewire handled that shit.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
His cause itself is noble but the motivation to involve the academy (or at least vote with the flow apparently) is what I cant stand. They shouldnt be involved at all in this debate. I also think it's futile. Netflix is here to stay. They dont exactly owe it to anyone else.

A film is a film is a film. Let the Oscar's honor that no matter how they're distributed. Using some sort of power play to disqualify the best movies from being honored is just lame.
Spielberg hasn't said this. This isn't his motivation. That the point.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually contributing toward discussion and responding to other posters' claims by referencing the article in question. You have trolled and then tried to create a dumb derail conspiracy suggesting I'm stanning for old white dudes. Again, why are you in this thread?

I commented on your old man in quotation marks, as if him being old is in question, regardless if it was used in a derogatory manner, to which you have become increasingly hostile. I don't need your permission to post here.

Sugaree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
User Banned (A Day): Continued hostility throughout a thread.
Thanks for your contribution to the discussion. Look forward to the next. Not sure what I'm being salty about here, but whatever stops you from actually having to contribute something other than a shitpost.

Says the shit poster.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

That's a good thing. But he's not just doing that. He isn't "all for" Netflix because he also does, in fact, believe that films without a robust theatrical run shouldn't qualify for awards alongside those that do. That's a bad thing. Both of these can simultaneously be true.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty amazing to see someone with Spielberg's resume reduced to "old white dude".

By amazing I mean not even remotely surprising for this site.

Oct 25, 2017
God, Indiewire sucks these days. Although I do get some dark joy from the relentless cycle of their posting faffy puff pieces about the MCU and then a hundred people descending without fail into the comments to bash out something angry about Captain Marvel or whatever not being an indie film. It's like watching the interminable trainwreck of a train somehow fuelled by its own high speed collision.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Do people really not know what ageism is? Or are some of the people in this thread just dense on purpose?

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Pretty amazing to see someone with Spielberg's resume reduced to "old white dude".

By amazing I mean not even remotely surprising for this site.

It's entirely possible to maintain the utmost respect and admiration for someone's previous work while still recognizing that their best days are far behind them. Calling him out of touch today does not mean he never did anything worth remembering.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Spielberg's still got it, ready player one had a trash ass script but the action in it was pretty damn well framed

If he made a superhero movie, especially an mcu one, this forum would be full of avatars of the dudes beard or some shit