• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm so excited that this finally has a release date. I know the hardcore Grandia fanbase is raging about the first game not being based on the Saturn version and some of the graphical decisions made there, but as a regular, middle-of-the-road Grandia fan I was really happy with what I saw at E3 and I can't wait to experience these games again (especially the first one, as I never finished it back in the day).

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I'm so excited that this finally has a release date. I know the hardcore Grandia fanbase is raging about the first game not being based on the Saturn version and some of the graphical decisions made there, but as a regular, middle-of-the-road Grandia fan I was really happy with what I saw at E3 and I can't wait to experience these games again (especially the first one, as I never finished it back in the day).

Same here. Played a bit on the PSX back in the day, but the voices were really bad and I quit. I'm glad I'll finally be able to play this with English subtitles and Japanese voices. Don't really care about the filter.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Is the first the better of the two?
Is it very grindy or are those 44 hours mostly story?
I've been dying to play a good jrpg on switch that runs/looks decently in handheld and isn't overwhelmingly long.

And for some reason this looks far more appealing to me than others like FFX, FFXII, Y's VIII - perhaps it's the old school look - and releases in a more convenient time than DQXI.
Well it's debatable.

Grandia one is THE game that feels like an adventure. You're mostly playing with "kids" yet it is so powerful and touching. I can't remember another game feeling like this one. For some reason Nadia or Avatar comes to mind to explain the mood. It's lively yet deep.
The second one is the easiest on the eye I guess (in combat at least). It has its charm but to me it didn't have this little spark like the first. It feels a bit more classic with your cool young adult hero.

You don't have to grind. The game is done in a way that just attacking/using spells gives you stat buff so you can often avoid battles and still finish it.
Of course if you really do none it gets harder but the level doesn't matter that much. Battles can be done very quickly too.

I'd say it's more about the dungeons which can take time to navigate if you're too easily lost. They're not gigantic, actually much faster if you don't try to get every items now that I think of it.
Yeah, I was spending time running around everywhere to be sure I didn't forget anything.

Don't remember if 2's dungeons are especially different. I think it's a bit the same.

So basically if you navigate dungeons smoothly and just do a few battles here and there you'll advance very fast.

Well if ever you can try to do the one you won't play in the future at some point, since they come together : P.

Oct 26, 2017
Well it's debatable.

Grandia one is THE game that feels like an adventure. You're mostly playing with "kids" yet it is so powerful and touching. I can't remember another game feeling like this one. For some reason Nadia or Avatar comes to mind to explain the mood. It's lively yet deep.
The second one is the easiest on the eye I guess (in combat at least). It has its charm but to me it didn't have this little spark like the first. It feels a bit more classic with your cool young adult hero.

You don't have to grind. The game is done in a way that just attacking/using spells gives you stat buff so you can often avoid battles and still finish it.
Of course if you really do none it gets harder but the level doesn't matter that much. Battles can be done very quickly too.

I'd say it's more about the dungeons which can take time to navigate if you're too easily lost. They're not gigantic, actually much faster if you don't try to get every items now that I think of it.
Yeah, I was spending time running around everywhere to be sure I didn't forget anything.

Don't remember if 2's dungeons are especially different. I think it's a bit the same.

So basically if you navigate dungeons smoothly and just do a few battles here and there you'll advance very fast.

Well if ever you can try to do the one you won't play in the future at some point, since they come together : P.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I think I'm convinced and as long as the ports are good I'll be buying the collection.

It may take me some time but I'll start with first and work my way through it.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I think I'm convinced and as long as the ports are good I'll be buying the collection.

It may take me some time but I'll start with first and work my way through it.
Really hope you like it.
If not I'm sorry for wasting your time ha ha.

If ever in need, I found a website with some maps in each section :
http://cyberian.tripod.com/Grandia/ghindex.html

It gives the name of each place in order just so you know.

Here is an example of part of a dungeon so you see what I meant (with japanese text on it so if you can't read japanese you're fine) :
domupass.jpg

As you can see it can go from 20 second running to much more time if you look everywhere.

And there's one type of item that can be really good to not miss, the mana eggs.
After that it can be weapons then it's all consumables and money.
Everything can be useful but only mana eggs are really "rare".

It's a very simple forest part so not really a huge spoiler if even one at all ; ).

Oct 26, 2017
Really hope you like it.
If not I'm sorry for wasting your time ha ha.

If ever in need, I found a website with some maps in each section :
http://cyberian.tripod.com/Grandia/ghindex.html

It gives the name of each place in order just so you know.

Here is an example of part of a dungeon so you see what I meant (with japanese text on it so if you can't read japanese you're fine) :
domupass.jpg

As you can see it can go from 20 second running to much more time if you look everywhere.

And there's one type of item that can be really good to not miss, the mana eggs.
After that it can be weapons then it's all consumables and money.
Everything can be useful but only mana eggs are really "rare".

It's a very simple forest part so not really a huge spoiler if even one at all ; ).
Thanks yet again!
Don't worry I won't hold you personally responsible if it's not for me.
I think the charm alone will carry me a large part of the way through.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Hope this launches at midnight.

Message to those who never played these before. Buy them. You will have 0 regrets

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Am I going mad or are there two concurrent Grandia threads floating around?

I'm looking forward to finally trying the series, despite the perceived graphical weakness of the Grandia HD remaster [It doesn't look too egregious to my eyes personally].

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Am I going mad or are there two concurrent Grandia threads floating around?

I'm looking forward to finally trying the series, despite the perceived graphical weakness of the Grandia HD remaster [It doesn't look too egregious to my eyes personally].
I bumped this one because it had the release date in the title while the other one was an older thread where it wasn't even in the OP. I think this is the more relevant one