• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The initial announcement:

Then when E3 came along and there was no such thing, someone asked and the dev said lolno:

Then gungho said yes it is:

Annnnd it turns out there probably isn't.

Just want to possibly clarify. I am the one who did the RPG Site E3 interview/demo. Basically, whenever they talk about the Saturn version, they say they are "working with" it, or using it as "a reference point". The direct quotes from them are in that image.

Interpret that however you want. I personally read it is as though they are not using the Saturn code base, but trying to somehow recreate the Saturn version visual benefits without actually basing the remaster off the Saturn version code.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Sigh. Not sure if I'll be getting this or not. Grandia 1 doesn't look all that great. But since my Saturn is dead, maybe I'll get this If the price is low enough. Grandia 2 looks fine too.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I remember hearing somewhere that their awful filter is actually baked into the sprites in this port, so it's not something that can be toggled on and off. If that's true, that's a HUGE fuckup. What a shame.
I never played these games so I hope these ports are decent because they seem like the easiest way to play them these days.
No physical is a bummer though
Yes. Let's not even try to slow down climate change.
You've got to be joking

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
My point was that people need to stop hoping for physical copies and stop buying physical copies altogether. Every game that doesn't get a physical release is a good thing.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Servers farms is on 24/7 to keep your digital games always online. Even if you downloaded just once - servers still burning energy every second.
Absolutely. Ships and airplanes still do more damage. Plus the actual production.

However, I probably shouldn't have derailed the thread that abruptly.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, it's not going to be easy to balance my time with this and Astral Chain.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
5 years old. I can't access the report, so it's pointless.

"Statement about physical not being an option is a good thing r.e. climate change"

"We should also ignore peer reviewed work that shows that is not necessarily the case"

Uh, so who do you actually trust when it comes to how much things contribute to climate change?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_mnfdt6Uuo91qbmqaso1_500.gif

still not sure if I should grab it on Switch or wait for the PC port for the fan mod support

I remember hearing somewhere that their awful filter is actually baked into the sprites in this port, so it's not something that can be toggled on and off. If that's true, that's a HUGE fuckup. What a shame.
Chrono Trigger PC all over again, if true.

Deleted member 38050

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
My point was that people need to stop hoping for physical copies and stop buying physical copies altogether. Every game that doesn't get a physical release is a good thing.
Some people like to actually own a copy of the thing they're buying, rather than have a digital version that could be taken away at any point to due any number of reasons. See the Ducktales thread for an example of this shit happening.

Anyway let's not turn this into yet another physical v digital discussion, it's been done to death.

Deleted member 39144

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
This thread took a turn for the strange.

Anyway, I'll be all over this on release provided it, isn't priced ridiculously.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! Physical media is a complete waste when you can get the exact same product digitally.
Shipping plastic pieces all over the world when it can easily be distributed via the Internet is insane.
DTKDxW8WkAAlOH2.jpg

On-Topic: There ARE too many games dropping O_o I do want to try these out because I've never heard of them prior to the announcement earlier this year.

I did listen to this song and knew I had to try them out sometime though. So bombastic!

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
"Statement about physical not being an option is a good thing r.e. climate change"

"We should also ignore peer reviewed work that shows that is not necessarily the case"

Uh, so who do you actually trust when it comes to how much things contribute to climate change?
Let's see what has happened since the report; which none of us even has read because it's behind a paywall. Google reached 100% renewable energy for their global operations in 2017. Microsoft is aiming for 60% in 2020 for their data centers, and that will keep going up. Having both physical shipping and digital releases at the same time is clearly not a good thing. We should focus on the one thing that we can improve, and that's digital. That's the all I'm going to say in this thread, because I have derailed it enough. If anyone want to say something to me, you can do so with PMs.

To return to the topic at hand, it's a shame they seem to have done a so-so job on Grandia 1 at least. Grandia 2 should be easier to make a good upgrade of since it's fully 3D.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Hard pass. They didn't improve anything. The game is blurrier than the PS1 version now.

Im much more looking forward to an english version of the japanese saturn version (apparently people in the fan translation scene are working on it)

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Absolutely. Ships and airplanes still do more damage. Plus the actual production.

However, I probably shouldn't have derailed the thread that abruptly.

Downloading a 50GB game has a larger environmental impact due to the network infrastructure and server farms than the entirety of the shipping, manufacturing, and disposal process of any individual game including account for the environmental impact of all the plastic used. Not to mention the social and consumer rights issues associated with not owning the media you are paying for. Full text is linked

Contrary to findings in previous research on music distribution, distribution of games by physical BDs results in lower greenhouse gas emissions than by Internet download. The estimated carbon emissions from downloading only fall definitively below that of BDs for games smaller than 1.3 GB

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Damn I don't think I have time for such long games. Maybe if I play just the second.
And miss one of the best existing rpg ever.
That's sad.
However, I 100% understand the lack of time : /.
All the comments out of PAX were that 2 seemed very choppy on switch. Maybe Seda could comment if the E3 build was better?
Man that's disappointing, that's probably why they shadow drop this or something. I will still get 2 though just because I want to replay it again soon
Gamexplain saw both build and had very positive thoughts on the E3 one while being extremely concerned at Pax last year.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
HLTB stats (main game to main game + optional stuff):
Grandia 1: 44-59.5 hours
Grandia 2: 33.5-36 hours

So pretty standard JRPG lengths with Grandia 1 being the longer game.

I haven't played the Grandia games, but I think the length for PS1 games tend to be greater than should be thanks to loading times lmao

I hope this collection deliver, I really want to play those games since long time ago.

Oct 26, 2017
And miss one of the best existing rpg ever.
That's sad.
However, I 100% understand the lack of time : /.
Is the first the better of the two?
Is it very grindy or are those 44 hours mostly story?
I've been dying to play a good jrpg on switch that runs/looks decently in handheld and isn't overwhelmingly long.

And for some reason this looks far more appealing to me than others like FFX, FFXII, Y's VIII - perhaps it's the old school look - and releases in a more convenient time than DQXI.

Gun Dog

Oct 27, 2017
Finally.

Even with Grandia looking like that, I still gotta support the Grandia series when I can.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Downloading a 50GB game has a larger environmental impact due to the network infrastructure and server farms than the entirety of the shipping, manufacturing, and disposal process of any individual game including account for the environmental impact of all the plastic used. Not to mention the social and consumer rights issues associated with not owning the media you are paying for. Full text is linked

Checked the linked article and it's not that simple.

1 - They looked at the EU and said that in the US, manufacturing & transportation impact for a disc are estimated to be almost triple that of the EU meaning that the gap in the US is much smaller (and the break even point would be much higher than 1.3GB).
2 - The article is from 2010 and they said that it's estimated that energy efficiency of Internet traffic is predicted to double every 2 years.
3 - They also admitted that they were guessing on energy efficiency based on a single example since it's hard to get data on this.

So this study is very out-of-date by their own admission, but if their estimates are correct, the vast majority of games would have a lower impact with a digital download in the US (and not as many in the EU).

In any case, this is a bundle of a PS1/Saturn game and a Dreamcast/PS2 game. The PC version of Grandia 2 on Steam right now is about 2.5 GBs and Grandia 1 is only a two-disc game on PS1/Saturn. It's not going to be anywhere near 50 GBs and will probably be under 5 GBs.

Last edited: