• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
People ignored police brutality for a long time and the black community had to call it out twice before people cared to look. It's basically ingrained into the system at this point. And even then it's not guaranteed to catch people's attentions. Someone literally shot up a kindergarten and we still don't have gun regulation.
Okay, and? That makes it cool?

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
At the end of the day very little people care.

Even now most of the mentions are not concern for Asian American issues but more to weaponize it as an attack against Trump. 90+ percent of politicians have either ignored it completely or use it to attack Trump. None of them actually give a shit about Asian Americans, they either ignore us or use us for their twitter burns.
I do get that feeling too as well.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
People ignored police brutality for a long time and the black community had to call it out twice before people cared to look. It's basically ingrained into the system at this point. And even then it's not guaranteed to catch people's attentions. Someone literally shot up a kindergarten and we still don't have gun regulation.

The system makes it hard for people to see these things too. It purposefully covers them up. That plus white people's general apathy and fear of speaking about anything related to race, leads us to these awful situations.

The system needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Us white people need to speak out against this, challenge our relatives/friends on their racist views, and we need to let Asian-Americans tell their stories.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
The system makes it hard for people to see these things too. It purposefully covers them up. That plus white people's general apathy and fear of speaking about anything related to race, leads us to these awful situations.

The system needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Us white people need to speak out against this, challenge our relatives/friends on their racist views, and we need to let Asian-Americans tell their stories.
Yes, I agree, though I do think that white people are not the only culprits.

I don't mean to downplay or exaggerate anything when I say this, but when I got racist insults, for example, it came from a lot of whites and non-whites. Not saying that white supremacy isn't an issue, but of course, things aren't always so simple if you look beneath the surface. It's best to see things in their entirety so we can deal with these issues.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
This thread tells enough already by only having ~60 posts.
I do wish that more people would face this issue, though I think this is partly to do with the fact that we're more of a "gaming forum" and even in politics our issues are kinda one-note or particular (rather than across the entirety of political issues). But otherwise, you're right. It does at least point to something, though I hope nobody thinks I'm calling them out; I could be wrong, after all.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I do wish that more people would face this issue, though I think this is partly to do with the fact that we're more of a "gaming forum" and even in politics our issues are kinda one-note or particular (rather than across the entirety of political issues). But otherwise, you're right. It does at least point to something, though I hope nobody thinks I'm calling them out; I could be wrong, after all.
It being a gaming forum isn't an excuse. If we can have vibrant topics about other issues, then this topic should be just as bustling because it's just as important.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
What makes this truly sad to me is the simple fact that racism is not hereditary. It is taught.

Is it that hard for folks to teach their kids that all people have feelings, all people have needs and wants, all people have opinions, and that no one person or group should be seen as more or lesser than any other?

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anti-asian sentiment has a long and harsh history in the US and has been stoked recently, even pre-covid.

Those in power either in government, finance or media are complicit in their inaction or, in some cases, their role in fanning these flames of hate for their own benifit.

Times like this I wish there was an afterlife so those commiting these hate crimes against elders could burn in hell.

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's been bad for a while
I've mostly been able to avoid it, thankfully. But I've had friends who've experienced it over the past year

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Being a gaming forum has nothing to do with it IMO. There's plenty of other topics on this regarding other marginalized groups that get traction, depending on how trendy the topic is.

It's just that ERA in general cares more about our games and cartoons more than they care about our people.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
For the record, I should say that I'm sorry if I came off as wrong-headed for saying that this being a gaming forum would contribute to a lack of consideration and attention to anti-Asian racism; we've obviously contributed and discussed other topics here before. My bad. I take it back. We should definitely discuss this issue no matter what, imho.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
This is really sad. Especially considering many victims are elderly people. I'm not a violent person but I wish I could beat the shit out of those racist cowards.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. There's a sense that people are kinda acting like the media has always cared about BLM and civil rights when that's not true at all? People had to be brutally beaten and killed on camera for decades before anyone gave a shit. And we only got to cultural permanence in 2020 and that was because black activists did the work in their community by themselves for so long.

Thankfully now allyship is more common but asians will likely have to build a movement with strong in-community beliefs about how to move forward around anti racism efforts in order to gain cultural permanence as well. 80% of the black community believes that the police are systematically racist to black people. That took decades of community building and activism to even get there in even just our community.

I certainly wish it could be easier but such is America.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Part of the issue with Asian American communities is the hatred within it. Most of it is dying out with the first generation immigrants, but it's still there. The hate between Vietnamese and Chinese alone is fucking absurd when racists don't know the difference nor care to either way. Then you have the Asian Americans whose minds are warped into believing they're the model minority and would sooner identify with white people than their own.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
67 total posts and 6 posts on the 2nd page are by the OP.

Nuff said lol.

Would been nice if the staff didn't ban several of the most outspoken Asian voices on this forum right before and during the Asian-Era meeting.

Make no mistake, this forum has had an issue with anti-Asian bias since its inception. And now most of the people fighting it are gone.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of the issue with Asian American communities is the hatred within it. Most of it is dying out with the first generation immigrants, but it's still there. The hate between Vietnamese and Chinese alone is fucking absurd when racists don't know the difference nor care to either way.

Get out of here with this Asian-on-Asian victim blaming bullshit.

This is not part of the issue here.

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
I don't know why these threads never gain traction. Probably for a lot of reasons.
I'm not sure how many Asian people (let's say east Asian for these particular issues) are on this site. I know there have been complaints about this, and I'm sure people are tired, especially when they see threads like this and feel no one cares.
I feel this site is used to black and white issues, and it doesn't necessarily do those amazingly(no site really does). Racial threads tend to cause frustrations and expose ignorance, so adding Asians to the mix probably turns people off because it would make things even more nuanced. I'm sure if this thread took off, there'd be tons of ignorance and perhaps bigotry but that's kind of unavoidable. I hope people would be forced to learn and accept perspectives that make them a bit uncomfortable.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Would been nice if the staff didn't ban several of the most outspoken Asian voices on this forum right before and during the Asian-Era meeting.

Make no mistake, this forum has had an issue with anti-Asian bias since its inception. And now most of the people fighting it are gone.

Why were they banned?

I mean I think most rational peeps know Era isn't much different from Neogaf in terms of racism, maybe peeps on Era just don't like to admit it. Used to be in a group chat of mostly white era posters, and the amount of asian racism shit in the chat is just...well not really shocked I guess.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Why were they banned?

I mean I think most rational peeps know Era isn't much different from Neogaf in terms of racism, maybe peeps on Era just don't like to admit it. Used to be in a group chat of mostly white era posters, and the amount of asian racism shit in the chat is just...well not really shocked I guess.

🤔 🤔 🤔

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Get out of here with this Asian-on-Asian victim blaming bullshit.

This is not part of the issue here.

The post was in context of Asian communities gathering to form a movement against this. There was a post before mine regarding the importance of forming a movement. This post:

Yup. There's a sense that people are kinda acting like the media has always cared about BLM and civil rights when that's not true at all? People had to be brutally beaten and killed on camera for decades before anyone gave a shit. And we only got to cultural permanence in 2020 and that was because black activists did the work in their community by themselves for so long.

Thankfully now allyship is more common but asians will likely have to build a movement with strong in-community beliefs about how to move forward around anti racism efforts in order to gain cultural permanence as well. 80% of the black community believes that the police are systematically racist to black people. That took decades of community building and activism to even get there in even just our community.

I certainly wish it could be easier but such is America.

The different Asian communities in a lot of cases are very isolated from one another and choose to be that way. It was not victim blaming those who were attacked. and I should have quoted said post. It is a bad habit of mine.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's not only in the US, chinese and other asian people got a lot of hate over the Covid-19 pandemic here in Italy as well.
A friend of mine kept telling me little kids and teenagers were passing past her giggling and shouting at her, ans her parents restaurant saw a huge dip (above the normal dip other restaurants experience) because some people are biased.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
Not to mention, this thread created so we can actually have a centralized point of dialog seems to be just as ignored on the board.

People are shoving their heads in the sand.

I prefer not to go over it on this forum , there's probably other asians, and asian american posters that feel the same. I chat with my friends and there's Asian american insta/social that has alot of discussion and news

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer not to go over it on this forum , there's probably other asians, and asian american posters that feel the same. I chat with my friends and there's Asian american insta/social that has alot of discussion and news
I'm sure and I don't blame anyone in the slightest for not wanting to try to have discussions here.

These two things are not necessarily related so...
The lack of participation in both is related I think, just like it's related to the lack of significant media attention overall.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Asian is a very big place, in fact it's the largest continent. And each asian countries have different cultures. Even countries that share borders, they are far from alike or even like each others.
Why this type of threads open I always ask myself, is it about me? Am I the asian they are talking about? Is it a good idea to speak for other asian members?

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Asian is a very big place, in fact it's the largest continent. And each asian countries have different cultures. Even countries that share borders, they are far from alike or even like each others.
Why this type of threads open I always ask myself, is it about me? Am I the asian they are talking about? Is it a good idea to speak for other asian members?

In the case of the article linked in the OP, the context of "Asians" is diaspora Asians in countries where the hegemony are "racially" (skin color) different.

So, if you're of Asian descent/ethnicity, living in a predominantly Asian country where you are also the hegemony, then no, they are not talking about your problems and they are most likely not attempting to speak for you, because you are not the victim here.

Jun 17, 2019
It's not only in the US, chinese and other asian people got a lot of hate over the Covid-19 pandemic here in Italy as well.
A friend of mine kept telling me little kids and teenagers were passing past her giggling and shouting at her, ans her parents restaurant saw a huge dip (above the normal dip other restaurants experience) because some people are biased.

Not only in Italy, but recently a group of Japanese citizens were hit by three attackers in France. One victim got burns from hydrochloride acid on their hands. However, the victim wouldn't report it or put in a complaint to the Paris police. While the Police are looking into it, since no formal complaint was reported apparently there's not much they can do. Japan put out a warning to travelers now about being more careful in Paris. Wasn't clear if the victims were living in Paris, or just visiting.

This seems to be a thing running around Europe as well.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Vancouver has had a huge rise in the last year of harrassment of Asian communities and individuals. A coffee shop by me had antimaskers harassing them and their employees acouple months ago.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if racism is the natural condition and if tolerance is something that has to be learned.
I think so. Our most natural state is one of absolute tribalism, and you need to be taught ( by your family initially ) to respect others and recognise and resist racist ideas. Just as you need to be taught in school how to critically engage with media, how to critically think about politics and so on.

We need better public education, everywhere on this planet. Even the supposed "enlightened " West is pretty shit about this.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
In the case of the article linked in the OP, the context of "Asians" is diaspora Asians in countries where the hegemony are "racially" (skin color) different.

So, if you're of Asian descent/ethnicity, living in a predominantly Asian country where you are also the hegemony, then no, they are not talking about your problems and they are most likely not attempting to speak for you, because you are not the victim here.

That's the thing, all I can do is listen.
Asian thread have very few post and some of its asking why only few posts. I want to think era members are good people. Era members read these articles and condem these crimes.
I'm Vietnamese, I almost have nothing worth to contribute. When I post (which likely never in asian thread because 90% about asian-american) I have to be very careful not to be ignorant and out of my deep.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
An uncle of mine is living in the US (Ohio I think?) for work, it worries me a bit to be honest.

I'm 500% sure this happens in Mexico too, since we're never short on both local and imported stupidity, but I was talking about this with my Japanese cousins recently and they told me they've yet to experience any anti-Asian attitudes (in Mexico City at least).

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Well~ there was a topic on the gaming forum, that had a asian poster saying they shouldn't generalize asian and lump it all.
Some of the resposne was, they aren't racist, when they use a country and such, and also what about white on white racist, and they can't be racist toward asian, because China and Japan are economic super power, and that racism is only in US< so other Asian country poster shouldn't say anything.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think due to the model minority myth and how some Asian groups are economically better off than most other minorities, there's a notion that our issues aren't real. Because of this, we seem to occupy this weird space where we're kind of an out group for everyone, and because of that, we generally face a different type of racism that's often less overt but still systemic and pervasive.

It gets tiring trying to talk about your issues when you feel no one ever listens or cares, and over time you just stop.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
When I heard of the news that a Filipino got slashed on the face, and another one got knee'd to death, I'm sad that it didn't gained much news other than the local ones here.

And knowing America, I can't even see if they would get the justice that they deserve.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Reading about the black death in Europe and the subsequent hunt of Jewish people as a scapegoat for the plague, this shit feels like we're walking in fucking circles... for 700 years...

Fuck this racist bullshit. And fuck the right wing people for shit like "China Virus" and "Kung Flu".

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Over the past decade these people have latched onto BLM to justify their hatred of Black people, ISIS & perpetual terrorist fearmongering to justify their hatred of Middle Eastern people (or let's face it: anyone even vaguely brown), & now COVID to justify hating Asian people. Doesn't matter if one is of Chinese heritage or not since they don't give a fuck about the difference. This is why white supremacy needs constant & consistent pushback not just between citizens but at the highest levels of authority in this country. It's sick how often supposedly enlightened individuals & outlets (looking at Bill Maher) feed into it too without an ounce of self-awareness.
This isn't strictly a matter of white supremacy. People of color can easily be bigoted towards other people of color. Black people were behind many of these attacks on Asian American people, and plenty of Asian Americans can be racist towards Black Americans, and so on.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the other thread already has people blaming asians for not communicating well enough / not working/appreciating black people enough.

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
I want to just talk about the divide between asian communities here in the US. It's kind of a american perspective to lump all asian people together where sometimes the idea of specifically 'asian' diaspora seems to be stronger in the minds of non-asians than it is asians, speaking more about asians that are first generation immigrants. East asians don't speak the same language, they don't have the same culture, they just look somewhat similar so they are discriminated against in the same way. I mean, I would hope that asians in the US could naturally form some sort of one political bloc that could be easy for one of the political parties to pander to, but I think the building of political power has to happen with each community individually.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, the other thread already has people blaming asians for not communicating well enough / not working/appreciating black people enough.
Surprise surprise. I appreciate that OP trying to create an open nuanced discussion about the topic, but this place remains a trash fire to have any sort of real conversation about the matter.