• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Tweeting? What are we talking about now? You're going to have to miss me with anything regarding Twitter.
This is precisely my point. This whole sidebar started because Imran is probably not on Era every waking moment of his life, same as you avoid Twitter whenever possible. Imran has been going off on the Supreme Court on Twitter and talking about how shitty the justices that overturned Roe are. For those of us who happened to see the whole picture, I think it's much clearer that he simply did not realize Nepenthe was Black, he just saw a slur and thought "Yo this ain't it chief", which is an entirely reasonable response if you don't know the race of someone posting the slur. Then everyone who frequents here sees an industry figure, in their mind, tone-policing a Black woman without seeing how he's been ripping the SC a new asshole on Twitter. This really just feels like everyone involved did not know key information about each other.

Then it just escalated to an absurd degree from there. Everyone is on the same side here. The Supreme Court is the enemy here, not each other.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Wow men don't care about women's rights that much.

We really need to step up.

But if we had to carry the child, we wouldn't even having this long ass discussion about basic human rights

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I think this could have all been avoided if people would stop telling black people what they can or cannot say to other black people and mind their own business.

Is it too late to change the resetera slogan decision

Dunno if this has been posted:

49% of men is wild, or feels wild. But then I guess kind of makes sense.

People tell you who they really are in an anonymous poll. About half of American men thinking they should still own women sounds about right.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
This is precisely my point. This whole sidebar started because Imran is probably not on Era every waking moment of his life, same as you avoid Twitter whenever possible. Imran has been going off on the Supreme Court on Twitter and talking about how shitty the justices that overturned Roe are. For those of us who happened to see the whole picture, I think it's much clearer that he simply did not realize Nepenthe was Black, he just saw a slur and thought "Yo this ain't it chief", which is an entirely reasonable response if you don't know the race of someone posting the slur. Then everyone who frequents here sees an industry figure, in their mind, tone-policing a Black woman without seeing how he's been ripping the SC a new asshole on Twitter. This really just feels like everyone involved did not know key information about each other.

Then it just escalated to an absurd degree from there. Everyone is on the same side here. The Supreme Court is the enemy here, not each other.

Look, in the interest of olive branches and whatnot, I understand where you're coming from.

I will insist though that I don't follow Twitter really, I don't know what's happening on Twitter or who's tweeting what. And we're not on Twitter right now.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Dunno if this has been posted:

49% of men is wild, or feels wild. But then I guess kind of makes sense.

In fact after talking to a few other guys at the protests this weekend I would describe the support from some of those in that 51% as rather tenuous and misguided, even among those who are actually showing up at the courthouses.

One guy, in the midst of assuring me they aren't actually doing Obergefell next, argued "at least the anti-Roe sentiment isn't TOTALLY religious nonsense"

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
The Pew data suggests more along the lines of 58-41 for men, so who knows. Probably somewhere in the 55-45 range if we split the difference.

It's fucking gross either way. Then again, a third of women too. Religion is a disease. And as a man, I continue to be disappointed by fellow men.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
The Pew data suggests more along the lines of 58-41 for men, so who knows. Probably somewhere in the 55-45 range if we split the difference.

It's fucking gross either way. Then again, a third of women too. Religion is a disease. And as a man, I continue to be disappointed by fellow men.

The sad thing here is it's not just religion.

Proximity to patriarchy is quite the fucking drug, as well.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
it's fucked up that the Republican political strategists know they can rely on the laziness of men to let this sit until people organize to get momentum to go after it again.

abortion as "only a women's issue" and men not having skin in the game are both lies, but that's been the framing since day one to keep percentages like that. And that third of women is also a tell.

in reality it's a class issue, an economic issue, a social control and forced morality issue, and old fashioned church and state, and all those demons are long overdue for an exorcism. The GOP started this fight, and there may be a sleeping giant that makes them wish that they hadn't. Activating and uniting the non-conservative electorate to make sure things like this never happen again isn't an impossibility. That hardcore 35% of right wingers needs to be isolated and their effect neutralized.

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
The sad thing here is it's not just religion.

Proximity to patriarchy is quite the fucking drug, as well.

Oh completely bang on.

It's really the one-two-three of patriarchy, religion and a completely ineffective political system to bring about any meaningful legislative change. And patriarchy very likely accounts for many women who are postured into a position by family, husbands, whatever to support the status quo for them -- in other words, lack of choice. Religion dollops on more.

And then you add the political system where SCOTUS isn't the capstone that it actually should be -- having way too much power -- and a senate that can confirm that power? Brutal.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Can we NOT tell black people they are being aggressive because they are passionate about something or say something you don't like? We don't need that shit. I'm sick and tired of shit like this. It was simple, someone took offense to something they DID NOT UNDERSTAND. simple as that.

You know what else I post for Clarence Thomas?
tenor.gif

So fuck him.

Im curious if there's a doc on Clarence.
Well there are a few books on him, with some fucked up shit about his insane beliefs and why he believes them.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So where does the Women's Health Protection Act stand in regards to the Dobb's ruling? Is it superseded. My understaning was the Women's Act was going to help ensure abortion access?

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Ironically, it's not really religion. I saw this article the other day, https://www.npr.org/2022/06/26/1107...-roe-as-a-violation-of-their-religious-belief

It's just patriarchy tbh
100%.

There are some true religious believers for sure. My younger sister is DEEP in that shit, a big reason why we don't talk anymore. That and her "body and blood of Christ will protect us against the virus" insanity.

But a lot of this is old school "men work, women stay at home" misogyny along with new school incel adjacent MRA red pill snowflake losers getting butthurt they can't control women like their grandpappy used to.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
So where does the Women's Health Protection Act stand in regards to the Dobb's ruling? Is it superseded. My understaning was the Women's Act was going to help ensure abortion access?

It never was signed into law. It didn't get enough votes in the senate and will not pass unless at least 2 more senators willing to abolish the filibuster are elected. The Dobbs ruling doesn't overrule congress's right to pass a law on it but the conservative SCOTUS might decide otherwise in the future if WHPA is passed and challenged.

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
It never was signed into law. It didn't get enough votes in the senate and will not pass unless at least 2 more senators willing to abolish the filibuster are elected. The Dobbs ruling doesn't overrule congress's right to pass a law on it but the conservative SCOTUS might decide otherwise in the future if WHPA is passed and challenged.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
The guy came in with a shitty drive by post to try and start shit, completely uninformed, from an off-site link someone sent him. The response thus far seems pretty appropriate.

This. His replies and retraction were crap too. The correct response was simple (a genuinely-worded apology) but he just kept acting pissy about the situation.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I just don't know what the solution is.

It's not like Republicans/Conservatives are content to ban abortion in their states and leave people to travel in order to get the care they need. They're already working to shut that down. And let's be real, that's not a just alternative. "Oh, you can have your rights here, but not here...."

It's not an issue of education. Just inform people and they'll "get it". Compromise is a non-starter. I don't know how one could compromise with this shit.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

It's not like Republicans/Conservatives are content to ban abortion in their states and leave people to travel in order to get the care they need. They're already working to shut that down. And let's be real, that's not a just alternative. "Oh, you can have your rights here, but not here...."

It's not an issue of education. Just inform people and they'll "get it". Compromise is a non-starter. I don't know how one could compromise with this shit.
You have to beat the back at their own games they are bullies, have to be met with the same forces they are putting towards everyone here. This ruling says clearly they don't care about anything but power and suffering for anyone non white or doesn't get in line with their ideology.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

We need the powers that be to start treating Republicans like the actual fascists they are instead of buddies that can be reasoned with, for one thing. A lot of the mess we're in is because we don't take these people seriously as a threat to well-being.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It makes me think the end goal is succession. But then I remember that they aren't content to just pull this shit in the states they control.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

This Court complicates things immensely but travel should be okay. Think of out of state college students for example. On the other hand codifying Roe at the federal level might run afoul of the Court.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
It makes me think the end goal is succession. But then I remember that they aren't content to just pull this shit in the states they control.

I've been thinking about this a lot. I dunno how the country survives a federal abortion ban. It is hard to imagine the west coast states saying "oh okay" and rolling over on that one. Or Obergefell. The gop loves to bait their base with promises of owning the libs but what happens when they catch that car? Are they going to try to send troops into California to enforce this shit, like really? Feels like a game over moment to me.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
I've been thinking about this a lot. I dunno how the country survives a federal abortion ban. It is hard to imagine the west coast states saying "oh okay" and rolling over on that one. Or Obergefell. The gop loves to bait their base with promises of owning the libs but what happens when they catch that car? Are they going to try to send troops into California to enforce this shit, like really? Feels like a game over moment to me.
It may be their ultimate goal. But i think then the blue oceans in those red seas would revolt.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
You're right, I don't even know what enforcement of a federal ban would look like. If SCOTUS tried that and states like California, NY, Illinois, etc. said no we are not shutting those clincs down and arresting people, then what? The FBI comes in? They wouldn't even have the manpower.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
You're right, I don't even know what enforcement of a federal ban would look like. If SCOTUS tried that and states like California, NY, Illinois, etc. said no we are not shutting those clincs down and arresting people, then what? The FBI comes in? They wouldn't even have the manpower.

They start arresting doctors at their homes one at a time and dare other doctors to continue performing services. Dare state law enforcement to stop feds from arresting people. You can't expect individuals to volunteer to go to prison. It would require mass action to stop it.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Kavanagh throw cold water on anti-abortion states trying to criminalize travel to states that allow abortion to get an abortion? If he's not cool with that, then I find it hard to believe he'd be ok with a nationwide federal ban. I doubt Roberts would as well. Or maybe I'm naive and giving the conservatives on the court too much credit in thinking they will engage in some self restraint.