• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
Just speaking for myself, I think most people read that word as just another really bad word for black people, and would be shocked to read it in an ostensibly polite setting. After reading 20 words of one article, I now know that word used to have more specific connotations, that would make that word more appropriate to use in regards to Clarence Thomas. I guess some people still use that word with those connotations.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But as you understand, that word is not used outside of bad places like 4chan and the like.
If you think Black people do not use that term to talk about other Black individuals who are perceived as deliberately furthering white supremacy, and that it is only used on 4Chan to just be racist to all Black folks in general, I don't know what to tell you other than to hang out with more Black people.

Let's not let misunderstandings create more divisions between us minorities.
We can start by not giving a fuck about Black folks' views about Clarence fucking Thomas.

All of this could've been solved by a "Oh I didn't know you were Black; my bad" and an understanding that, if you're not Black, you really don't have any business in these discussions about the language we use and reclaim. Instead, I get a hasty reply because he was linked to it off site and felt the need to stick his nose where it didn't belong, and Black members understandably had something to say about this kind of tone policing happening once again. Now we're at the point where we're "furthering divisions," when the division happened the moment Imran decided to put fingers to keyboard.

It was a complete fuck up on his end, but he walked it back or whatever and now he knows for the future. But I'm not apologizing for anything I've said thus far in this thread.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
joycearthur.com

“The Only Moral Abortion is My Abortion”

When the Anti-Choice Choose By Joyce Arthur Copyright © September, 2000 Available in a French translation Available in a German translation Available in a Russian translation Abortion is a highly p…

-

These trash cans use the same logic on welfare and social safety nets ad racism.

Fuck you KKKarens.

Par for the fucking course for these MAGAt fucks.

It's the same brain power that looked at crack-cocaine as an epidemic, but opioid addiction is a health issue.

Or the same mouth breathers who will say "these illegals are taking our jobs!" and the next day complain about "lazy illegals getting a free ride".

Biggest hypocrites in the history of the world.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I have few triggers in life. Clarence and Ben Carson are two of them. I'm doing my very best to remain calm and well behaved. But I do wish him all the very worst things in life. I hope he stubs his toe every morning.

I hope that for the rest of his life the potatoes in his potato salad aren't cooked all the way through.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that for the rest of his life the potatoes in his potato salad aren't cooked all the way through.
i mean...you might have been getting your wish on this all along. he might not even notice at this point...

ginny too busy trying to spark a revolution to parboil and then fully cook her russets and yellow yukon golds.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you think Black people do not use that term to talk about other Black individuals who are perceived as deliberately furthering white supremacy, and that it is only used on 4Chan to just be racist to all Black folks in general, I don't know what to tell you other than to hang out with more Black people.

We can start by not giving a fuck about Black folks' views about Clarence fucking Thomas.

All of this could've been solved by a "Oh I didn't know you were Black; my bad" and an understanding that, if you're not Black, you really don't have any business in these discussions about the language we use and reclaim. Instead, I get a hasty reply because he was linked to it off site and felt the need to stick his nose where it didn't belong, and Black members understandably had something to say about this kind of tone policing happening once again. Now we're at the point where we're "furthering divisions," when the division happened the moment Imran decided to put fingers to keyboard.

It was a complete fuck up on his end, but he walked it back or whatever and now he knows for the future. But I'm not apologizing for anything I've said thus far in this thread.

I get you're passionate about it but being this aggro helps no one and furthers no cause. And if you're gonna say I'm tone-policing, then yes I am because I think it's generally a bad look for admins and people in positions of power on the site to be shouting down at users like some random poster would.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get you're passionate about it but being this aggro helps no one and furthers no cause. And if you're gonna say I'm tone-policing, then yes I am because I think it's generally a bad look for admins and people in positions of power on the site to be shouting down at users like some random poster would.
To be fair, coming in and being a Thomas Clarence safety advocate while everyone is feeling raw was perhaps the wrong choice.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
I mean it's a good start, but it's so incredibly limiting based on people who have abortions, so if nothing else I hope it facilitates those conversations.

Abortions should be legal and accessible regardless of circumstances. But if anecdotes could open up the minds of people who are 'no abortion, no exceptions' and lead to laws that at least allow exceptions, that would at least be a start, like you said, for places where exceptions are very limited. I don't know how you convince someone who's 'no exceptions' to come around to abortion fully legal.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017

Who's shouting?

Actually, who's aggro?

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care what you think is a "bad look." So long as I don't retaliate against someone, my being an administrator has nothing to do with the issue at hand, which is that too many of y'all feel like you get to talk to Black folks and insert yourselves in our issues any kind of ol' way.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, coming in and being a Thomas Clarence safety advocate while everyone is feeling raw was perhaps the wrong choice.

I think the post that set it off wasn't the best, but I also think regardless of the rawness of the situation you shouldn't have a dogpile of admins and moderators openly shaming down users and yelling about what they do and don't support. There are better ways to handle this shit, especially so when the issue is as major and emotional as this is.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the post that set it off wasn't the best, but I also think regardless of the rawness of the situation you shouldn't have a dogpile of admins and moderators openly shaming down users and yelling about what they do and don't support. There are better ways to handle this shit, especially so when the issue is as major and emotional as this is.
As a white person I don't feel it's our place to step into those conversations like that is all.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
pointing out that he came in hot for no real reason when he could have thought about it, and then saying they won't apologize is not being aggro.

buuuuutt it is interesting to be pointed out re the whole #aggro thing

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017

Again, who's yelling?

These posts are verging on comical irony.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Who's shouting?

Actually, who's aggro?

If you can look at the tone and tenor of the last page of conversation and not see aggression then you just ain't looking for it.

I don't care what you think is a "bad look." So long as I don't retaliate against someone, my being an administrator has nothing to do with the issue at hand, which is that too many of y'all feel like you get to talk to Black folks and insert yourselves in our issues any kind of ol' way.

I mean you don't get to remove "Admin" from your title when it suits. It's something you have and you wear when you post and it affects how people react to what is said (hell people in this thread specifically call out that it does). I don't think that it's fair to say you can turn that on and off or that you should be treated just as any other user when posting.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020

I think this could have all been avoided if people would stop telling black people what they can or cannot say to other black people and mind their own business.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Did you not read the first part of my response to you?

I don't really care what you think about it, or if you agree or disagree. So yes I read it, and I still said what I said so here we are.

I just don't think the response was what it should be from site staff. If you don't agree that's fine.

Oct 28, 2017
Clarence Thomas should be served a pubic hair with every Coke he ever orders.

I just want to know what makes him have a burning hatred of liberals and any form of progress with human rights. Hell, with the SCOTUS as is we cannot even say Trans Rights are Human Rights because the majority don't even care about human rights. This shit is tiring. Now people have to fight back to gain simple rights they had over 40 years ago. You can bet your ass they are working on taking away Gay Marriage as well, they don't give any fucks.
Probably his wife. She seems the sort to be in one's ear all day every day.
^ yep

No argument there.

Indeed. He is absolutely an uncle Rukus-ass, sambo-ass, never-invited-to-the-picnic-ass coon. His picture is next to the dictionary definition. I hate that I lived in a time where he existed and persisted. It's embarrassing and frustrating every day. Every time I think about him.
Worse, he replaced a giant in Thurgood Marshall and they did it again in a similar fashion with ACB replacing RBG. Conservatives always find people that won't advocate for their own.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As a white person I don't feel it's our place to step into those conversations like that is all.

I agree in a general sense, I'm not commenting on what was said by Imran or how that affected people. I'm speaking purely from a perspective of the response by people to it and the way it lead to a pile-on that devolved into people questioning beliefs and that was supplemented by staff who should be above those types of things. Put simply, the way discourse devolves on this site when faced with these types of issues (race, politics, etc.) is never good.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The guy came in with a shitty drive by post to try and start shit, completely uninformed, from an off-site link someone sent him. The response thus far seems pretty appropriate.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree in a general sense, I'm not commenting on what was said by Imran or how that affected people. I'm speaking purely from a perspective of the response by people to it and the way it lead to a pile-on that devolved into people questioning beliefs and that was supplemented by staff who should be above those types of things. Put simply, the way discourse devolves on this site when faced with these types of issues (race, politics, etc.) is never good.
Can you understand why it went down the way it went down though?

Because I can see why that initial post was read the way it was.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
If you can look at the tone and tenor of the last page of conversation and not see aggression then you just ain't looking for it.

Well, the thing is, we're having this conversation via the internet. So, it's quite impossible for you to say that Nep is shouting to begin with. But hey, if we're going to think shouting in "net speak," usually what clues me to that is exclamation marks, Caps Lock, etc. And, looking at Nep's post, I don't see any of that, either.

What I do see, though, is someone who's only contribution to this portion of the discussion is to repeatedly insist that a Black mod is being belligerent and "aggro" over the word coon. This jumps out at me, personally, because Black people tend to get this critique a lot whenever we express ourselves in a way that's not in accordance with The Chicago Manual of Style or suburban propriety.

Either way, dissecting your interpretation of Nep's "tone" is completely beside the point. But, go off, I guess.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can you understand why it went down the way it went down though?

Because I can see why that initial post was read the way it was.

I can see why, because I browse this site every day. Did Imran step into something he shouldn't have? Sure. Is that grounds to go after his intent, his beliefs, and why he's here? Not at all. But it's always the place people go with these things.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
The guy came in with a shitty drive by post to try and start shit, completely uninformed, from an off-site link someone sent him. The response thus far seems pretty appropriate.
and then when asked what his beef was he responded with 'ya'll ain't shit!' when all he had to do was explain...something...literally anything

i mean...sir..this is a wendys

not the center of global discourse you think we think it is

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see why, because I browse this site every day. Did Imran step into something he shouldn't have? Sure. Is that grounds to go after his intent, his beliefs, and why he's here? Not at all. But it's always the place people go with these things.
Considering how much shit they have to put up with from our folk I don't really fault anyone for having that reaction.

Which is why you need to think before you post on such things.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
Even here, people legit have a problem with Black folks asserting themselves and establishing lines. Allies my ass.

Truth be told, I had to Google that word because in the areas that I've lived in I've never heard it used once (when I was around). But, when I did Google it my first thought wasn't "oh shit, we shouldn't let black peeps call other black peeps that!", it was "Oh, well it's deserved. Cool. Moving on. Learn something new every day."

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the thing is, we're having this conversation via the internet. So, it's quite impossible for you to say that Nep is shouting to begin with. But hey, if we're going to think shouting in "net speak," usually what clues me to that is exclamation marks, Caps Lock, etc. And, looking at Nep's post, I don't see any of that, either.

What I do see, though, is someone who's only contribution to this portion of the discussion is to repeatedly insist that a Black mod is being belligerent and "aggro" over the word coon. This jumps out at me, personally, because Black people tend to get this critique a lot whenever we express ourselves in any that's not in accordance with The Chicago Manual of Style or suburban propriety.

Either way, dissecting your interpretation of Nep's "tone" is completely beside the point. But, go off, I guess.

You have a very narrow interpretation of tone if you can't read it past bold letters and exclamation points. When one person posts something and the next half page is targeting that comment and its intention that is aggression, regardless of what kind of text they are using. And as much as you'd like to make it about that, this ain't an issue of race. Regardless of where you're coming from, that ain't the way to handle it. And if me saying mods should have a better tenor than an average user brings into question anything about how I speak about race, that seems like a big bridge to cross.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Gotta say, when I got home from work and peeked in on this thread to observe the goings-on of the day...

In defense of Clarence Thomas was not what I was expecting.
Defending Clarence Thomas pretty much tells you all you need to know about a person, his mask has never not been off. More so than the utter disrespect George H. W. Bush did to Thurgood Marshall by nominating that cabin dwelling, massa saying, self-hating piece of shit for his seat.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
OK, how about we actually discuss the issue at play instead of making insinuations about Nep's tone? People on staff are people too, not random robots and should be treated as individuals with feelings and whatnot.

People need to stop trying to treat everyone online like they aren't people.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how much shit they have to put up with from our folk I don't really fault anyone for having that reaction.

Which is why you need to think before you post on such things.

I agree that thought needs to be put into the initial post. Thought should also be put into the response.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Truth be told, I had to Google that word because in the areas that I've lived in I've never heard it used once (when I was around). But, when I did Google it my first thought wasn't "oh shit, we shouldn't let black peeps call other black peeps that!", it was "Oh, well it's deserved. Cool. Moving on. Learn something new every day."

This is great, really. (So, the following is not aimed at you.)

And, for other people who may be following along, another good thing that you can do is, when you do look these words up, don't assume that the group of Black people you're observing don't know what you may have just learned about their fucking language. Even if this group of Black people aren't agreeing among themselves about how it should be used.

...oops, I just realized I used the word "fucking." Apologies for getting aggro.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Gotta say, when I got home from work and peeked in on this thread to observe the goings-on of the day...

In defense of Clarence Thomas was not what I was expecting.
That is so, so, so clearly not what it was and it's ridiculous that you'd quicker assume someone who has been tweeting how much the SC sucks is defending Clarence Thomas than assume that maybe the person in question didn't know that the person using a racial slur was that race (and therefore allowed to use it). I of course know Nepenthe is a Black person, but I'm on here every single day. Many people aren't.

Christ almighty, people. Come on. The SC is the enemy here.

Edit: and the poster below me is being nuts too. Just noting that I reported the concern trolling so people don't think mods are doing any abuse of power stuff if it gets them warned or banned.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
That is so, so, so clearly not what it was and it's ridiculous that you'd quicker assume someone who has been tweeting how much the SC sucks is defending Clarence Thomas than assume that maybe the person in question didn't know that the person using a racial slur was that race (and therefore allowed to use it). I of course know Nepenthe is a Black person, but I'm on here every single day. Many people aren't.

Christ almighty, people. Come on. The SC is the enemy here.

Tweeting? What are we talking about now? You're going to have to miss me with anything regarding Twitter.