• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Right! If the Democrats truly cared about us & our rights, why didn't either Carter, Clinton, Obama or Biden codified Roe V. Wade into law a long time ago? Why haven't they pulled a FDR or a LBJ to force their party to pass legislative bills with progressive policies to help benefit this country instead of corporations that they serve or always giving the military more money?

Because the majority of them are not on our side! The majority of Democrats are nothing more than corporate, neoliberal/establishment Democrats who are just like Republicans that are working for corporations instead of us, their citizens. They're both one & the same, both right-wing (Democrats are center-right while Republicans are further right). It took me a long time to figure that out & put two & two together.

And corporate, mainstream media isn't any better. They're just as vile, & they only care about having big ratings over integrity.

I get you're upset but this completely ignores the different circumstances under which LBJ and FDR where able to do what they did.

Not to mention, and please correct if I'm wrong, this Supreme Court would have simply ruled that that any codification of Roe was unconstitutional.

I think in part the reason Democratic president didn't do what your asking is because it would be proving that abortion should be legislated instead of it being a right under the constitution.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
These discussions are hard to have, because the unfortunate reality is that most people are not knowledgeable enough with politics, but talk just as loudly as those who are. The sad truth is that Democrats - while appearing to have all the power right now to the layman - do not have enough to get most anything done. And you can't blame the Democrats on that. There are so many factors leading to who gets voted in, including the electoral college, how good conservatives are at grassroots, voter apathy, etc., but it's certainly not all at the feet of the Democratic party. Something we CAN look back on is what simple decisions could have led to drastically different outcomes. One such is that if Hillary Clinton - a person I wasn't personally a fan of - had become president in 2016, as her popular vote win should have led to, Roe v Wade would not have been overturned today. You can say, "but I thought presidents didn't have this type of power?" It's the chaotic nature of things that led Trump to appoint three Supreme Court justices. If Hillary had been in power, she would appointed those three. it's exactly BECAUSE of those three that Roe v Wade is overturned today. And some blame Democrats? Come on. I'll be the first to tell you Democrats aren't perfect at all, but they're not the problem here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That's the truth but it only makes sense to people spending significant time paying attention to politics or participating on campaigns. Neither progressive nor moderate Dems have cracked the nut on how to get people out to vote consistently but harm reduction is a very dour message especially to people who infrequently vote or don't vote. Only a small minority of voters care about 100% honesty and that minority isn't enough to win you election.

Harm reduction is a strategy in selecting the least bad winnable candidates in regressive districts and tolerating them in your party's tent. Harm reduction is not a message that those candidates should be putting to voters.
You're not going to get people to vote consistently until you either offer them rewards and incentives for doing so (which, well, lol), or change the environment so that it's convenient enough for people to do so consistently.

To me it's like any other social problem; humans are hamstrung in being their best selves by a lot of their environmental factors, and thus well-being can be unlocked by addressing those issues heads on instead of punishing or shaming people for making bad decisions either in their perceived best interests, or in response to the hostility of their environment. So we need to address voting disenfranchisement laws. We need to address gerrymandering. We need to address the fact that taking the time off to vote is inconvenient for many people because of inefficiencies that have been solved everywhere else. And, yes, Democrats need better messaging and results. You're right; you need to give people something to vote for. Harm reduction isn't going to have them standing in the cold at 6 in the morning. You need a good platform, but you also need answers for the reality that Democrats are incapable of fulfilling all their promises of a better life.

Because again, what would you say, right now, to someone who is pregnant and pissed off that their healthcare is now illegal? "You should've voted harder?" Like, for real, establishment liberals and the folks who support them need to drop the ego and figure out how to empathize with people on a human-to-human level, and take responsibility for bad outcomes, even if you aren't at fault and even if there was nothing you could do. Ultimately, being a politician is a service job. Them's the breaks at service jobs. Shit happens. You apologize. You figure out how to fix it through engagement and empathy, even if your solution isn't perfect. You prove to people you give a shit to actually retain them. Then keep it moving.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Pretty disgusting to still be a "Actually the President can't do anything about anything, take a civics lesson 🙄" guy after all this. You've seen Democrats fund raising off Roe v Wade being on the line for years now, you've watched them do nothing about it when they've been in power, you've seen them get advanced notice that the Supreme Court was going to do this and move like lightning to pass laws protecting the goddamn judges, and you're coming into threads spending your energy on the "Give me your fully costed plan for what precious President Baby should be doing, then" routine. Pretty fucking vile, if you ask me.

I think people really underestimate how the Promise -> Broken Promise -> Civics Lecture combo really kills public trust in politics, especially for newer voters.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I will say is that everyone has their own "thing" that gets them into politics. I didn't start REALLY caring about it until Trump was elected and I saw how much damage a president could do. I had the privilege to not care much about who the president was for most of my young life, because none of their decisions affected me. Plus my family was very conservative, so I didn't get a lot of alternate perspectives growing up.

Point is, this could be the thing that gets a lot of people interested in politics. That would be a good outcome that could lead to change. We have to hope SOMETHING good can rise out of this dumpster fire.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I get you're upset but this completely ignores the different circumstances under which LBJ and FDR where able to do what they did.

Not to mention, and please correct if I'm wrong, this Supreme Court would have simply ruled that that any codification of Roe was unconstitutional.

I think in part the reason Democratic president didn't do what your asking is because it would be proving that abortion should be legislated instead of it being a right under the constitution.
He keeps posting the same BS then ignoring or playing dumb about any responses to it. Seems like trolling at this point.

I think people really underestimate how the Promise -> Broken Promise -> Civics Lecture combo really kills public trust in politics, especially for newer voters.
This is a fair point. It's an enthusiasm killer.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Always feels like those of us with "far" left ideologies can't really talk in here without getting shouted down about how the government actually works. Like, we fucking know. 2/3 majorities, filibusters, executive orders can be challenged, etc. We know all of it. Doesn't mean we can't talk about "pipe dreams" like general strikes or, god forbid, violence against right-wing institutions. Most of us know it'll never happen or work because the US system isn't built like that. We are angry. Some of us have been for a long time.

And for those that want to blame me for adding to any sort of anti-voting sentiment, fuck off. I've voted Dem down-ballot my entire voting life. I've handed out flyers. I promote voting Dem even if the candidate is Joe Biden. Voting is vital to keeping things from getting even worse even faster. Shame most of the candidates with the best chances of winning aren't as liberal as I'd prefer.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
So here's where we come back to my money-making argument, and it's good that you picked an article from the year 2017, because look at the Democrats' funds compared to Republicans:

aQTUijg.png

It takes funds to do a lot of this shit, which is why, again, it never has and never will make sense to me why we shame Democrats for asking for money. Comparatively, Democrats are fucking broke.

What's also useful about you choosing an article from 2017 to make your argument, is that I can point out that even now, in 2022, Democrats still face the issue of uncontested seats even after diagnosing the problem themselves. Now, of course, you can counter that you think Democrats are just that noncommittal. The only rebuttal to that I would have is I just am not that cynical. Democrats can want until the cows come home. We can ask. We can beg. We still need people to want to run. And to that I would ask, if you're a young upstart watching how young Progressives demonize the party, why the fuck would you run?
No I think that it takes more than 5 years to undo the damage from dismantling our local organizations in rural areas and red states.

They raised and spent more money in 2020 than Republicans, a lot more, but they spent it poorly
graphics.reuters.com

Financial sinkholes

Democrats spent hundreds of millions of dollars on Senate races they ended up losing. Whether they can regain control of the Senate now hangs on runoff elections in Georgia.

We lost 9 Senate elections where we outspent Republicans by millions. Millions that could have gone to local Democratic party organizations to try and fill more of those seats, to try building local Democratic organizations. We raised $300m more than Republicans for just Senate races. We're funneling tons and tons of money to the national organizations. That's why I blame those national organizations for state and local resource shortages, they receive and have control of how the vast majority of campaign resources are spent. People aren't going to choose to run in places if there's not a local Democratic organization that can hold their hand through the process. People don't know how to run elections without support, we can't expect people in areas with tons of unopposed seats to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps when they're going up against well-organized, well-funded, healthy Republican organizations capable of providing the support to their candidates we can't.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

You've just discovered why older people vote more reliably. They've been through many more of those cycles. New voters need to understand the game theory.

Oct 25, 2017
You're not going to get people to vote consistently until you either offer them rewards and incentives for doing so (which, well, lol), or change the environment so that it's convenient enough for people to do so consistently.

To me it's like any other social problem; humans are hamstrung in being their best selves by a lot of their environmental factors, and thus well-being can be unlocked by addressing those issues heads on instead of punishing or shaming people for making bad decisions either in their perceived best interests, or in response to the hostility of their environment. So we need to address voting disenfranchisement laws. We need to address gerrymandering. We need to address the fact that taking the time off to vote is inconvenient for many people because of inefficiencies that have been solved everywhere else. And, yes, Democrats need better messaging and results. You're right; you need to give people something to vote for. Harm reduction isn't going to have them standing in the cold at 6 in the morning. You need a good platform, but you also need answers for the reality that Democrats are incapable of fulfilling all their promises of a better life.

Because again, what would you say, right now, to someone who is pregnant and pissed off that their healthcare is now illegal? "You should've voted harder?" Like, for real, establishment liberals and the folks who support them need to drop the ego and figure out how to empathize with people on a human-to-human level, and take responsibility for bad outcomes, even if you aren't at fault and even if there was nothing you could do. Ultimately, being a politician is a service job. Them's the breaks at service jobs. Shit happens. You apologize. You figure out how to fix it through engagement and empathy, even if your solution isn't perfect. You prove to people you give a shit. Then keep it moving.

This is the right approach.

Talk all you want about Democrats not having the power- their job is to get the power, by convincing voters and having a legitimate plan to curb some of the ridiculous and archaic systems plaguing the USA that keep it in the dark ages. Actually offer shit to people and engage on their level than taking support for granted and relying on the inevitabilities of a two party system.

Also, to those saying Democrats are not the problem- they are part of the problem if they keep operating in a way that loses people's fundamental rights. And it's ridiculous to think talking about their failings ON RESETERA.COM is substantial part of why people don't vote.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
These discussions are hard to have, because the unfortunate reality is that most people are not knowledgeable enough with politics, but talk just as loudly as those who are. The sad truth is that Democrats - while appearing to have all the power right now to the layman - do not have enough to get most anything done. And you can't blame the Democrats on that. There are so many factors leading to who gets voted in, including the electoral college, how good conservatives are at grassroots, voter apathy, etc., but it's certainly not all at the feet of the Democratic party. Something we CAN look back on is what simple decisions could have led to drastically different outcomes. One such is that if Hillary Clinton - a person I wasn't personally a fan of - had become president in 2016, as her popular vote win should have led to, Roe v Wade would not have been overturned today. You can say, "but I thought presidents didn't have this type of power?" It's the chaotic nature of things that led Trump to appoint three Supreme Court justices. If Hillary had been in power, she would appointed those three. it's exactly BECAUSE of those three that Roe v Wade is overturned today. And some blame Democrats? Come on. I'll be the first to tell you Democrats aren't perfect at all, but they're not the problem here.

They may not be the problem, but they're also absolutely not the solution. They had opportunities to explore more dire avenues and expend political capital to prevent this, but they instead chose to retain their political capital. They are ultimately in service of themselves, not of the voters.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Like, we fucking know.

Do y'all? Again, no shade.

Because honestly, outside of Nep the only people I'm responding to are the people who are demonstrating that they don't.

I think more attention should be paid to the posts being responded to instead of the intent of the people responding. Because I personally don't like feeling like I'm explaining the government. That's actually not a good feeling, and I'd much rather have deeper, more solution based conversation.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Pritzker seems pretty legit....is he legit?

You got a lot of answers asserting that Pritzker is legit — which he decidedly is, a very pleasant surprise after I strategically voted for him in the primary despite my skepticism — but no reasons why.

Here's a good background article. I hope it's not paywalled, I'm a subscriber. Excerpt:

A California kid in the 1970s, Pritzker frequently attended protest marches with his mother, including demonstrations supporting abortion rights for women.

"She wanted me to learn," Pritzker said, joking that he was often paraded around to meetings with politicians and activists because he was too young to be left alone. "The result was I was in rooms and in marches and protests that I don't think a lot of nine-year-olds got to participate in."

"Equity was not a word that was used back then. But that's what she was doing for people of color. … It just feels a little bit like it's part of my DNA. I know it's nurture, not nature. But I cannot imagine another set of views."

Under Pritzker, Illinois in 2019 established in state law the right to reproductive health care, including abortion — a measure put in place just in case the landmark case was overturned. And in December, Pritzker signed a measure that repealed the last state law on the books that restricted abortion rights — a law that stopped minors from having to give parental notification before having an abortion.

So, he's legit.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
They may not be the problem, but they're also absolutely not the solution. They had opportunities to explore more dire avenues and expend political capital to prevent this, but they instead chose to retain their political capital. They are ultimately in service of themselves, not of the voters.
The democratic party unfortunately has to be the eventual solution, because they're the only of the two parties that support abortion. The problem is they aren't good at winning elections.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Always feels like those of us with "far" left ideologies can't really talk in here without getting shouted down about how the government actually works. Like, we fucking know. 2/3 majorities, filibusters, executive orders can be challenged, etc. We know all of it. Doesn't mean we can't talk about "pipe dreams" like general strikes or, god forbid, violence against right-wing institutions. Most of us know it'll never happen or work because the US system isn't built like that. We are angry. Some of us have been for a long time.

And for those that want to blame me for adding to any sort of anti-voting sentiment, fuck off. I've voted Dem down-ballot my entire voting life. I've handed out flyers. I promote voting Dem even if the candidate is Joe Biden. Voting is vital to keeping things from getting even worse even faster. Shame most of the candidates with the best chances of winning aren't as liberal as I'd prefer.

I understand you're upset but see it from their point of view. Speaking for myself I've been telling everyone I know to vote because of precisely this reason and I would always here both sides are the same.

I mean we have disagreements about shit but I can safely say most democrats are pro abortion rights. So I hear people saying they are not voting or voting third parties it seems insane to me as a minority and as a person who care about women's right to choose. Maybe it's a generational thing something I don't know honestly. I just wish this wasn't happening, it's fucking depressing.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017

For whatever my opinion is worth I hear you and I support you voicing all of those frustrations openly. We all got pipe dreams about how we wish things worked.

My line is I can't abide with people insisting that the pipe dream is real or making shit up or refusing to see any nuance at all. That shit is rotting our brains and working against the causes we care about.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Right! If the Democrats truly cared about us & our rights, why didn't either Carter, Clinton, Obama or Biden codified Roe V. Wade into law a long time ago? Why haven't they pulled a FDR or a LBJ to force their party to pass legislative bills with progressive policies to help benefit this country instead of corporations that they serve or always giving the military more money?

Because the majority of them are not on our side! The majority of Democrats are nothing more than corporate, neoliberal/establishment Democrats who are just like Republicans that are working for corporations instead of us, their citizens. They're both one & the same, both right-wing (Democrats are center-right while Republicans are further right). It took me a long time to figure that out & put two & two together.

And corporate, mainstream media isn't any better. They're just as vile, & they only care about having big ratings over integrity.
The CRA of 1964 passed the Senate with 30% of Democratic Senators voting against it.

So please tell me which progressive legislation could be passed with any of the D Presidents you listed where they lost 30% of their Senators and could still pass the filibuster (or even without a filibuster!).

And if you can't, maybe stop parroting bullshit.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The democratic party unfortunately has to be the eventual solution, because they're the only of the two parties that support abortion. The problem is they aren't good at winning elections.

Curious that they support abortion and yet Obama did not codify it into law, Biden or a pelosi didn't attempt to use more aggressive measures to protect it. When the decision leaked, their instinct was to protract the judges. They had many opportunities to do better, but they didn't. Now they're asking for more funds to do something? Sure , local democrats are actually in the trenches and fighting to protect abortion rights. But the democratic leadership absolutely does not prioritize this issue beyond a call to vote.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Well for one thing, we can reward the American citizen by making voting day a national holiday every two years.

Could you imagine having a mandatory day off just to go and vote.

This will help the poor who in the past could not vote due to a job that won't let them go will HAVE to let them go.

This will benefit the democrats than Republicans, which is why no Republican would vote this into law.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
No I think that it takes more than 5 years to undo the damage from dismantling our local organizations in rural areas and red states.

They raised and spent more money in 2020 than Republicans, a lot more, but they spent it poorly
graphics.reuters.com

Financial sinkholes

Democrats spent hundreds of millions of dollars on Senate races they ended up losing. Whether they can regain control of the Senate now hangs on runoff elections in Georgia.

We lost 9 Senate elections where we outspent Republicans by millions. Millions that could have gone to local Democratic party organizations to try and fill more of those seats, to try building local Democratic organizations. We raised $300m more than Republicans for just Senate races. We're funneling tons and tons of money to the national organizations. That's why I blame those national organizations for state and local resource shortages, they receive and have control of how the vast majority of campaign resources are spent. People aren't going to choose to run in places if there's not a local Democratic organization that can hold their hand through the process. People don't know how to run elections without support, we can't expect people in areas with tons of unopposed seats to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps when they're going up against well-organized, well-funded, healthy Republican organizations capable of providing the support to their candidates we can't.

I don't disagree with you, but now you're arguing about something different. It's one thing to say that Democrats prioritize the wrong candidates and allocate money poorly. It's another thing entirely to say that Democrats aren't asking people to run and are just sitting on their hands.

As I have said twice now in this thread: one statement is an unfortunate reality; the other is promoting apathy.

Literally one page ago I was agreeing with another poster that if there is one bone I have to pick with national Democrats, it's that they don't listen enough to local parties. So you will find no disagreement with me here

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I will reiterate to not talk about violence against right-wing institutions here. Please and thank you.

Apologies. Personal ideologies aside, putting that up here is just frustration breaking through.

Do y'all? Again, no shade.

Because honestly, outside of Nep the only people I'm responding to are the people who are demonstrating that they don't.

I think more attention should be paid to the posts being responded to instead of the intent of the people responding. Because I personally don't like feeling like I'm explaining the government. That's actually not a good feeling, and I'd much rather have deeper, more solution based conversation.

I question how many of the people you respond to "know", for sure. But I'd also question their civic ideologies.

I'm open enough to call myself a Communist (Marxist-Leninist if it matters) while still playing the game that is US politics. Those that despair and push back though? Who knows what they believe. All I know is that today of all days, with emotional integrity essentially demolished for a bit, I can't fault anyone for falling back on despair and anger.

Also I hope you're not including me in "demonstrating they don't" because I wouldn't consider that a fair response based on my two(three?) posts so far in this this thread. My emotions are also high and perceived personal attacks feel awful.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I understand you're upset but see it from their point of view. Speaking for myself I've been telling everyone I know to vote because of precisely this reason and I would always here both sides are the same.

I mean we have disagreements about shit but I can safely say most democrats are pro abortion rights. So I hear people saying they are not voting or voting third parties it seems insane to me as a minority and as a person who care about women's right to choose. Maybe it's a generational thing something I don't know honestly. I just wish this wasn't happening, it's fucking depressing.
Something republicans are so annoyingly good at is narrative to rile up their base. When democrats are in power and nothing gets done, many democrats blame democrats on having had the chance and not doing anything, so they feel more reluctant to bother next time. "Why bother," they might say. When republicans are in power and nothing gets done, Republicans are great at blaming democrats, and the conservative base eats it up. They never blame republicans for things not getting done.

Voter apathy is never a thing with Republicans, but is a huge issue for Democrats.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Also I hope you're not including me in "demonstrating they don't" because I wouldn't consider that a fair response based on my two(three?) posts so far in this this thread. My emotions are also high and perceived personal attacks feel awful.

I wasn't talking about you so apologies for that, but I also didn't mean that as a personal attack to anyone. There's a lot of outright ignorance about how the US government works just flying willy-nilly in this thread; and, honestly, I don't know how to sugarcoat that.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
The CRA of 1964 passed the Senate with 30% of Democratic Senators voting against it.

So please tell me which progressive legislation could be passed with any of the D Presidents you listed where they lost 30% of their Senators and could still pass the filibuster (or even without a filibuster!).

And if you can't, maybe stop parroting bullshit.
He keeps posting this BS and then ignoring all replies. He's trolling.

Curious that they support abortion and yet Obama did not codify it into law, Biden or a pelosi didn't attempt to use more aggressive measures to protect it. When the decision leaked, their instinct was to protract the judges. They had many opportunities to do better, but they didn't. Now they're asking for more funds to do something? Sure , local democrats are actually in the trenches and fighting to protect abortion rights. But the democratic leadership absolutely does not prioritize this issue beyond a call to vote.
Obama had 60 votes for just 4 months, and that 60 included a decent number of blue dog democrats who wouldn't have voted for codifying Roe.
Biden's current Senate roster would vote to codify (House already passed it), but it doesn't matter because Manchin and Sinema are ghouls who won't get rid of the filibuster.

I think Biden should be doing more (....in a lot of ways...) but legitimately there generally have not been the votes in the Senate to codify Roe as long as the filibuster is in place.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how this will impact Colleges and Universities in red states. I live in a blue state but am much less willing to have my daughters go to school in a red state.

As a higher education professional, I am expecting students to reconsider their choice to attend schools in states that have these laws. Although, they can fly home and do it if needed.

Those judges get to go home to their families and not worry about any type of accountability. That is wild. They should be forced to get in front of the public.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing about why "just vote harder!" is frustrating:

The people here and actively engaging largely already do vote reliably, and they vote for Democrats. They're not the ones who are responsible for the electoral outcomes that have led to this moment even if they are (rightfully) upset and apathetic.

There were 50k people in the the right states in the Midwest who said in 2016 "fuck it all" and voted for Trump. 50k out of millions who voted (the majority of which still voted for Hillary, btw). Any such person here who did that shit is either permanently banned or knows to shut the fuck up. They're not who you're engaging with. With that being said:

What is the Democratic strategy for actually gaining those people's votes?

Anyone more engaged with our political system wanna fill me in on that one?

Or, if the answer is that they are unreachable, what are we doing in other areas to shore up votes that can basically nullify that kind of swing fuckery?

These are the kinds of long-term, systemic questions I always have but rarely get satisfying answers for. But all folks want to do is blame leftists for simultaneously being an ignorable block and yet the deciding factor in these big elections because our rhetoric is too defeatist and dour for their liking.

Please spare me.

Nov 1, 2021
I will reiterate to not talk about violence against right-wing institutions here. Please and thank you.
Isn't direct action the only option at this point? Political action has failed us miserably, and there is no way to actually impeach any Supreme Court justice. It just feels like being more outwardly violent towards these parties is the only way of protecting members of the LGBTQ+ and other disenfranchised individuals from having their rights stripped.

You cannot tell me that you don't feel violent against political members that are literally pro-force birth.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
If you're arguing that democrats are not remotely perfect on this subject, you won't get a disagreement from me. But an obvious factor that I'm not sure if you're fully considering is that there's an element of "you don't know what you got till it's gone." There was less incentive to codify abortion into law when it was effectively the law for 40+ years. Now that it's gone obviously it's a more imperative issue and I expect you will see the more aggressive measures to protect it now that it's gone for so many. Not to say I'm going to put all of my hope it's the super imperfect democrats, but it's the only way we might actually get something done.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You cannot tell me that you don't feel violent against political members that are literally pro-force birth.
What I can tell you is that this site is monitored and that we are not about to be liable for being shut down for failing to clean up violent rhetoric. I will also reiterate that this is not a moral argument I'm making.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't direct action the only option at this point? Political action has failed us miserably, and there is no way to actually impeach any Supreme Court justice. It just feels like being more outwardly violent towards these parties is the only way of protecting members of the LGBTQ+ and other disenfranchised individuals from having their rights stripped.

It's a liability issue. The site can't host calls to violence.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't talking about you so apologies for that, but I also didn't mean that as a personal attack to anyone. There's a lot of outright ignorance about how the US government works just flying willy-nilly in this thread; and, honestly, I don't know how to sugarcoat that.

I don't disagree. The system sucks shit and is worthy of derision, but people should learn and accept how it works. Especially since the more they learn they see how rigged it is.

Getting more involved with politics is what pushed me so far left, and I'm doing all I can to lead progressives to office.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Multiple people have responded to your posts asserting this throughout the thread and yet you refuse to engage with it. Why are you here? Why are you posting about it repeatedly if you don't want to discuss it?

I substantially explained the differences in material outcomes for vulnerable people and you only barely engaged with it after getting called out, only to come back around and do this "both sides are the exact same" shit again?

Why are you here? Why are you posting? You are ignoring attempts at actual discussion of the points you raise in favor of spinning the same dead-end, nihilistic, give up now tune over and over again. Why?
And just what are we supposed to do when more of our rights get taken away by this corrupt Supreme Court? Tell me. We can't vote them out. I'm frustrated by it.

He keeps posting the same BS then ignoring or playing dumb about any responses to it. Seems like trolling at this point.
Just exposing the truth.

This is a fair point. It's an enthusiasm killer.
And yet, you're agreeing with three posters (matrix-cat, Doc Holliday & danm999) in which they've been saying the same stuff I've been saying.

Nov 1, 2021
What I can tell you is that this site is monitored and that we are not about to be liable for being shut down for failing to clean up violent rhetoric. I will also reiterate that this is not a moral argument I'm making.
Yes, for any actual federal agent / moderator here, these are not direct calls to action, these are just how I feel at the moment. I have absolutely no plans in regards to any violent actions against any current Supreme Court justice, this is me saying this for legal purposes.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Seriously y'all, about the calls to violence I'm going to say this:

There was a point in the day when the tenor of this thread sunk lower than what could be found in the comments section of The Shaderoom. And, seriously, when the quality of discussion has sunk THAT low, you ALL need to take a step back and reevaluate.

Stop it with the calls to violence. It's not giving what you think it's giving.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
I do believe that most of the dems in power want to string us along as voters, and that the two actual republicans are the useful democrat villians that "hold progress back". I vote but im tired of being a shoe string.

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling over multiple posts
Assume that every dollar donated to the Democrats goes into Pelosi's stock portfolio and Obama's Netflix show. These people will never lift a finger to work in your interest. They were out having their egos tickled over a free lunch with their private health insurance industry lobbyist friends when they heard this news, and they responded by having one of their unpaid aides type up a quick thoughts & prayers tweet. The Republicans are the party of true evil, the Democrats are the party of going "golly gee we didn't think they'd actually do it, that sucks for you" while they do insider trading.

Imagine the hardship and suffering that these people cause or allow to happen every day of their working lives. Imagine the evil that Biden has personally helped with, if not spearheaded, over his decades in politics, being on the wrong side of every major decision for longer than most of us have been alive (and that's BEFORE he got to just literally kill people with the drone strike button). I lose sleep over wondering if I was accidentally rude to someone I had a 20 second encounter with that day, these people sleep soundly after letting something like this happen. Ghouls. Rotten on the inside.

(Before someone gets on my case, yes I think you should still vote for them. They will never work proactively to help you, and there will always be some excuse for why they can't, but at least while they're in power the Republicans will only be able to reshape the entire country to their whims at a slightly slower pace. That seems to be about the best you can hope for.)

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
And just what are we supposed to do when more of our rights get taken away by this corrupt Supreme Court? Tell me. We can't vote them out. I'm frustrated by it.
As I have explained repeatedly, voting is a means of harm reduction to reduce catastrophic outcomes while we work to change things outside of the electoral system. It protects vulnerable people in measurable ways that have been repeatedly identified to you. Yet you continue to advocate for things that will lead to worse outcomes for those people. Why?

Just exposing the truth
Repeatedly spouting BS about how Jimmy Carter could have codified Roe and then ignoring all responses doesn't really seem like "exposing the truth." It seems more like stirring the pot.

If you do not want to discuss any of the stuff you're bringing up, why are you here? What is the purpose of advocating for others not to vote and to give up?

And yet, you're agreeing with three posters in which they've been saying the same stuff I've been saying.
Saying "not following through on promises dampens enthusiasm" is, in fact, not the same as saying "both parties are the same, there is no difference, and voting does nothing."

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I do believe that most of the dems in power want to string us along for voters, and that the two actual republicans are the useful democrat villians that "hold progress back". I vote but im tired of being a shoe string.
I mean the direct cause of this result was the candidate that won in 2016. Which wasn't a democrat stringing on voters.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Seriously y'all, about the calls to violence I'm going to say this:

There was a point in the day when the tenor of this thread sunk lower than what could be found in the comments section of The Shaderoom. And, seriously, when the quality of discussion has sunk THAT low, you ALL need to take a step back and reevaluate.

Stop it with the calls to violence. It's not giving what you think it's giving.

Let America crumble as it deserves.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
It is quite obvious that conservatives leaked that Roe vs Wade document a couple of months ago. They deflated the anger. There is still anger, but if it dropped all at once today, shit would have been January 6th crazy.

Damn they are good

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Won't there be big legal ramification that could likely arise from this ruling? Suppose a red state criminalizes abortion services, what happens if a resident living there flees to a pro choice state like New York right after being issued an arrest warrant? Must New York extradict this person back to that state at once? Because you can certainly bet they won't. Then the red state sues NY and ligation between the states commences. This is off the top of my head, but i hope you can see where I'm going with this. The amount of ligation that will arise among opposing states from this ruling is going to be a complete shit show. And the worse part is, the Supreme Court holds trials for state vs state cases. Supreme Court is crazy powerful