• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
You know what the best way to prevent nihilism from winning out on days like today?

Honestly?

For people to just fucking stop trying to defend Democrats and just say sorry.

Admit
that we lost- not only that we lost, but we failed several key demographics who rely on our ability to actually halt Republican tyranny because we had 50 fucking years of foresight, shore ourselves up like adults, and start discussing calls to action to resume the fight and get back what was taken from us.

The entire political apparatus is responsible for this result.

So why the fuck is anyone here carrying water for any of it?

You think someone with an unwanted or high-risk pregnancy trying to figure out what to do right now gives a fuck about the excuses on why they had to lose access to the care that could easily save their life? Why Obama couldn't do it? Why no one in these seats gave a shit until now?

No! Of course not!

They don't need excuses; they deserve an apology and a committed plan by our elected officials to fix this shit.

So again, you're admitting that voting for Democrats more wouldn't have solved this issue because the American landscape just isn't built for people's rights to be maintained.

Thank you. I'll keep voting -- and in a battleground state like mine, I can't afford otherwise -- but I can also recognize the promises of incrementalism means nothing when most of us will probably be dead when the courts flip fifty years from now. (Supposing, of course, that society hasn't already collapsed from climate change.)

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So what is your solution if you don't like the Democrat? Vote Republican?
Engage with that Democrat and hammer them on their record. Call them, write letters, protest, get the word out on social media, and do what you can to push them to your side.

Remember when everyone was telling us "Hurrdurr, elect Biden now then push him to the left later."

Yeah, let's not keep that as a thought-terminating cliche' to quiet leftists who want better.

Let's actually do it.

Teusery

May 18, 2022
Checking in for the last time and there's still infighting in this thread...

Hey peeps FYI the people on our side against these fascists are probably out in the streets, coordinating efforts, donating, and rallying others. They are not on their keyboards pointing fingers at each other.

Use your energy wisely and don't stress yourselves, we have a long fight ahead. I'm going to ignore this thread now

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Your mindset of "We should just accept any congressman or congresswoman with a "D" by their name & deal with it!" is wrong, because that's how we get more corporate, neoliberal Democrats.

We should only be looking towards candidates who do truly care about us, such as progressives, as well as Green Party candidates. Local, state & federal.

No one's saying this. Absolutely vote for candidates with the policies you support in primaries and every election where they have a chance. But if the choice is between a Republican and someone who doesn't prescribe to every one of your values, don't accept the Republican by not voting for their strongest opponent or not voting at all.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Engage with that Democrat and hammer them on their record. Call them, write letters, protest, get the word out on social media, and do what you can to push them to your side.

Remember when everyone was telling us "Hurrdurr, elect Biden now then push him to the left later."

Yeah, let's not keep that as a thought-terminating cliche' to quiet leftists who want better.

Let's actually do it.
That's what you're saying but SpaceCrystal's first post was to stop voting. Then, later vote green

Dec 19, 2021
Point to where I said anyone who doesn't agree with me on everything cannot apply to be a Democratic candidate.
You said you thought the Democrats as a whole have too big of a tent as is. You said this in context of Democrats needing to be a "social justice party." But that's not what they need to be. Because if they do what you're advocating they'll keep losing. They need to be a bigger party than that!

You're the one who made quite the impressive leap to pro-life candidates when I said, "If you think the Democratic Party as it is today is "too fucking big," then you're pushing for nothing getting done and for Republicans to keep winning elections."

That doesn't automatically mean pro-life candidates. It means supporting candidates who will support abortion up to six weeks in certain states, 12 in others, and maybe those who are pro-life in very rare circumstances. The end result may even be a national bill that allows abortion up to six weeks (though I think, as a first attempt, more can be got), and while that's still not great, it's good, because it's better than the status quo! That'd be something to celebrate.
Of course not.

I'm saying that we should be doing more to A.) elect less conservative candidates where we can,
Yeah? Like where?

May 31, 2022
My city's Mayor has released a statement in response ot the overturning of Roe v. Wade in which he states "Men have absolutely no place deciding what women do with their bodies.": https://mayor.baltimorecity.gov/new...nt-supreme-court-decision-overturn-roe-v-wade

BALTIMORE, MD.
(Friday, June 24, 2022) - Mayor Brandon M. Scott released the following statement in response to the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.

"Today the court has taken aim at women and their right to make fundamental health choices about their own bodies. This decision is especially harmful for Black Women and Women of Color who already face disparate health challenges and barriers to care. The court got it absolutely wrong again today. Men have absolutely no place deciding what women do with their bodies.

I promise to make sure Baltimore City is doing its part to maintain safe access to abortion services for our resident and those who come here seeking care. I call on my fellow mayors to do the same in their cities.

This election cycle couldn't be more important. If, like me, you support women's rights, make sure your voice is heard on the ballot."

My city's Mayor also took action today in an attempt to make it easier to access abortion in my city: https://mayor.baltimorecity.gov/new...s-300000-abortion-and-family-planning-service

BALTIMORE, MD. (Friday, June 24, 2022) - Today, Mayor Brandon M. Scott announced that the City of Baltimore would provide $300,000 in grants to organizations that offer abortion and family planning services. This is a meaningful step toward maintaining Baltimore City's status as a place where residents and visitors can obtain safe, legal abortion services.

This announcement comes after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade earlier today. Maryland's strong pro-choice legislation is not expected to change, so the city is preparing to expand service capacity to meet the needs of its residents and any care-seekers from states with anti-choice laws.

"A woman's decision about what to do with her own body is a fundamental human right," said Mayor Brandon M. Scott. "It is crucial that we invest in abortion and family planning so that we can welcome women seeking these services with open arms. We are morally obligated to make Baltimore a safe haven for care-seekers, and we are committed to doing just that."

Earlier in June, the City Council passed a resolution to designate Baltimore City as an Abortion Rights Protection Jurisdiction and improve abortion care capacity in preparation for an increase in the number of out-of-state patients seeking to terminate a pregnancy.

Here's some responses from the Baltimore City Council:

"As a Black woman and public health expert, I cannot stress enough how important it is to fund abortion services. Lack of access to safe abortions leads to significant increases in pregnancy related deaths," said Councilwoman Phylicia Porter, District 10. "It is our responsibility as elected leaders to protect the health of our residents and eliminate barriers to care."

"We are at a critical crossroads," said Council Vice-President Sharon Green Middleton, District 6."It is so important that we do the right thing and support local abortion service providers. Together, we are reaffirming a woman's right to choose and will make Baltimore a haven for individuals seeking care."

"I want to thank Mayor Scott for sharing our commitment to ensuring the reproductive health of both city residents and visiting care-seekers," said Councilman Zeke Cohen, District 1. "We will not allow the court to strip away autonomy and dignity from vulnerable people. Baltimore will be a sanctuary in the storm."

"Today's decision by the Supreme Court is absolutely shameful and especially detrimental to Black women like me," said Councilwoman Danielle McCray, District 2, Chair of the Council's Health, Environment, and Technology Committee. " I applaud Mayor Scott for his swift and decisive action on behalf of women, not just those in Baltimore. In partnership with the Mayor, we are ensuring safe and reliable access for care-seekers."

"In 1992 Maryland ensured that a woman's right to choose in Maryland was never in doubt. We are a safe place because of the work of so many women coming together, of which I am honored to be one of many, said Councilwoman Odette Ramos, District 14. "This Supreme Court decision is nothing short of a disaster for women across the Country, and puts women's rights back decades. Shame on them. In Baltimore, we're taking action to ensure that women have the right to safe abortion care. I'm proud of our city and state, and will fight for the rights of our sisters across the country - again."

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought that a consumption strike could be similarly as effective--and more tenable--than a labor strike. It's hard to convince enough people to risk their livelihoods, and probably a lot easier to convince them to simply... spend less.

Abstain or significantly cut back on all discretionary spending. That means anything that's not housing, food, gas, etc. This country runs on consumption. If enough of us agreed to stop participating...

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
So what is your solution if you don't like the Democrat? Vote Republican?
No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying one of three things:

1.) Vote real, actual progressives in,
2.) Vote 3rd party, or
3.) Start political movements (civil resistance, civil disobedience, mass general strikes, community solidarity building, mutual aid, etc.).

Those are the only real choices we have to eliminate this cycle.

No one's saying this. Absolutely vote for candidates with the policies you support in primaries and every election where they have a chance. But if the choice is between a Republican and someone who doesn't prescribe to every one of your values, don't accept the Republican by not voting for their strongest opponent or not voting at all.

See my post above to Coyote Stark.

Last edited:

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
It's wild that peoples expectations are so low that "help accomplish the agenda they campaigned on/fulfill the broader goals of their party" isn't considered a core part of the president's job.
I mean you're asking Obama to what? Have the national guard have snipers to Mitch McConnel's head? What do you think would have convinced McConnell at that point ?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

2.) Vote 3rd party, or
3.) Start political movements (civil resistance, civil disobedience, mass general strikes, community solidarity building & mutual aid, etc.)

Option 2 isn't a real option. Voting 3rd party is basically a vote for the Republicans.

It hands them the win. You have to do what Nepenthe said.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
The Democratic Party as an apparatus has no interest in actually taking steps to uphold rights and improve lives. Individual politicians would lose their personal grasp on power, and that's a price too high to pay. So they will forever campaign on bold steps and follow through with none of them, then send out the donation emails. There are two Senators in the way now, but if they weren't there there would be two others. There would be another reason. This has been the case for as long as I've been politically conscious, because I guess campaign donations and influence are that fucking tasty.

There are so many people in this thread jumping down the throat of anyone posting the reality of the situation that so much evokes the crowd shouting "is this your first election!?!?!?" on Gaf when it was apparent that Clinton was going to lose on election night. Go ahead and say how much defeatist takes are what Republicans want, but the alternative is to ignore reality. Go ahead and vote D, as I will do this year and have done for decades. Maybe you won't be voting for a spineless monster, but either way it will do appallingly little to preserve the dwindling rights we already have. And none of this is taking into account the very real likelihood that in many places votes that Republicans don't like will be thrown out anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
It's wild that peoples expectations are so low that "help accomplish the agenda they campaigned on/fulfill the broader goals of their party" isn't considered a core part of the president's job.

All he can basically do is continue to campaign on the party's agenda, and sign shit into law when it passes. A modern Democratic president has zero power or cache to influence the Republican Senate vote, let alone the Republican Majority leader of the Senate.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
These. Voting just isn't enough. If there aren't any progressives, what's the point?
You have been confronted with a litany of specific things that electing democrats has done to help people tremendously, including on abortion access, yet you keep saying this.

Jesus Christ.

The point is helping people.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
Step One: "General Strike"
Step Two: ?????
Step Three: All of our goals are accomplished
A general strike is effective because it takes money away from the elite, forcing them to choose a law or lose more money. As they are greedy, they will choose the law the general strike wants. There are many elected members who do as they are told by the elite because of bribing. It has been very effective in the past.

The problem with this is that it is entirely dependent on union membership so I don't believe it would be effective right now as union membership is still pretty low historically. Far more work is needed to be able to coordinate, and amass numbers that would cause the rich to truly worry. So, I don't believe it would work right now.

But generally, yes it is a genuine option.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

2.) Vote 3rd party, or
3.) Start political movements (civil resistance, civil disobedience, mass general strikes, community solidarity building & mutual aid, etc.).

1 and 2 are largely possible and responsible only in safely blue areas. Can't really do that in many parts of Pennsylvania or Florida. But can fly in Cali or NY.

3. Is easier said than done and ultimate requires people supporting the same things. Which would inherently be dicey in the very swingy or more conservative areas someone may be living in.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That's what you're saying but SpaceCrystal's first post was to stop voting. Then, later vote green
If you can shore up enough support to get a Green party candidate actually elected in a local race (they have no hope nationally) because they are better than the Democrat and Republican candidate, then do it. If not, then yeah, you're stuck hounding a shitty Democrat to be less shit. But it's something, and we need to start actually adding this civic behavior to our repertoire and hone various strategies.

They need to be a bigger party than that!
How big? You want us to start electing actual Nazis so long as they have a D next to their name? What is the cut-off for you if "protecting civil rights" is negotiable for you as a party maxim?

You're the one who made quite the impressive leap to pro-life candidates when I said, "If you think the Democratic Party as it is today is "too fucking big," then you're pushing for nothing getting done and for Republicans to keep winning elections."
Because you said that in response to me specifically saying that specifically pro-life candidates shouldn't be in the party. What else did you think I was talking about in a thread about Roe v. Wade being overturned?

It means supporting candidates who will support abortion up to six weeks in certain states, 12 in others, and maybe those who are pro-life in very rare circumstances.
What if the Democrat on the ballot is in a region where any kind of abortion exception is non-negotiable, or they legitimately believe as such, and thus, they come out as pro-life? Again, that Big Tent. It's gotta be even bigger!

Once again, if you're admitting we have a lot of conservatives attached to us, then that's a fundamental flaw of today's Democratic Party and an admittance that voting for all Democrats doesn't necessarily ensure your rights will be protected.

Last edited:

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I'm not referring to just this victory. But them "co-opting" institutions as you put it is also the shrinking of their tent? I'm not sure what you're getting at. They have been shrinking the Republican tent for years and it has absolutely bore fruit.

Is talking about "the economy" and gas prices shrinking their tent? Do you think everyone who will be voting for Republicans this November will be doing it because they're against abortion or trans rights? Fox News literally distracted their viewers last month when the decision leaked by not talking about it and focusing on anti-Biden stuff.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
The President is in the White House and Congress is in the Capitol. These are different buildings so they can't actually influence one another.

You don't understand politics

May 9, 2022
Florida
Is talking about "the economy" and gas prices shrinking their tent? Do you think everyone who will be voting for Republicans this November will be doing it because they're against abortion or trans rights? Fox News literally distracted their viewers last month when the decision leaked by not talking about it and focusing on anti-Biden stuff.

"Shrinking their tent" is turning McCain and Romney into outcasts. I don't know how else you can interpret that. The Republican agenda under The Trump Party is more lockstep than ever?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
The Democratic Party as an apparatus has no interest in actually taking steps to uphold rights and improve lives. Individual politicians would lose their personal grasp on power, and that's a price too high to pay. So they will forever campaign on bold steps and follow through with none of them, then send out the donation emails.

Why do you all shame the Democrats for asking for money, while also acknowledging that we live in a capitalistic society and that includes our politics and the ability to get anything done?

Like, y'all bemoan the Democrats' ability to get anything done, then bemoan their attempts to build the funds...to get shit done.

I will never understand this. Decrying money in politics does not require hypocrisy.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Help try to do things? Sure, and Obama did that.

But force McConnell to call for a vote? That is explicitly a power the President purposefully does not have.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Fuckin' I dunno man, I'm not the president. I'm not saying it's easy, but if you're going to take the job that's part of it.

No, if you're going to criticize the actions of the President in a thread where people are discussing actionable steps, you don't get to lean on "I dunno, I'm not the President" when people call out your seemingly directionless apathy. You're either participating in the discussion, or you're not.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
Fuckin' I dunno man, I'm not the president. I'm not saying it's easy, but if you're going to take the job that's part of it.

Let's say your the Democratic Senate Majority Leader and president trump has nominated a a hyper fascist judge. President needs you to bring the fascist for a vote. What could he do to get you to put them up for a vote? (My guess is nothing….) Mitch was never, ever going to put Garland up for a vote.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
One could almost be forgiven for coming to the conclusion that the wealthy, privileged, male, white, slave-owning founding fathers of America weren't actually visionary geniuses who managed to frame a constitutional republic that would manage to evolve and reflect the values of America over future centuries.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you all shame the Democrats for asking for money, while also acknowledging that we live in a capitalistic society and that includes our politics and the ability to get anything done?

Like, y'all bemoan the Democrats' ability to get anything done, then bemoan their attempts to build the funds...to get shit done.

I will never understand this. Decrying money in politics does not require hypocrisy.
Because they seem to spend the money they get sent on the dumbest strategies, abandoning downballot races to their own fundraising, and refusing to build the party in states they consider to be a lost cause

And even if it is some grand strategy that we cannot see and don't understand because it's some mystical realpolitik that only insiders could possibly get, it's not working. The leadership needs to be offering new plans, new messaging, new organizational principles. Something that looks like they understand that what's been tried so far hasn't been good enough.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of you are letting mainstream media brainwash you. Heck, I used to think that all Democrats cared about us, too. Heck, I've been voting for them the past 22 years. Then I woke up.

Complaining about the Democrats' lack of accomplishments and then seriously suggesting that people vote for the party that has done even less than the fucking Libertarians is either stupid or malicious.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Because they seem to spend the money they get sent on the dumbest strategies, abandoning downballot races to their own fundraising, and refusing to build the party in states they consider to be a lost cause

And even if it is some grand strategy that we cannot see and don't understand because it's some mystical realpolitik that only insiders could possibly get, it's not working. The leadership needs to be offering new plans, new messaging, new organizational principles. Something that looks like they understand that what's been tried so far hasn't been good enough.

What downballot races have been abandoned?

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Virginia is under full Republican control right now because rich people spent a lot of time, energy, and money researching and deploying an effective propaganda campaign.

1. Virginia isn't under "full" GOP control right now. While the state House and governor's mansion are GOP-controlled, the state Senate is still controlled by Dems.

2. CRT is not why the GOP won. It was bcause of a triple-whammy of Dems having a poor political environment, a crappy campaign that McAuliffe ran, and the GOP candidate putting up a facade of appearing "polite and moderate", something that some idiots, including the media, fell for.

Dec 19, 2021
How big? You want us to start electing actual Nazis so long as they have a D next to their name?
I'm not going to keep responding to you if you assume something I haven't said and respond to that instead of what I actually wrote.
Because you said that in response to me specifically saying that specifically pro-life candidates shouldn't be in the party. What else did you think I was talking about in a thread about Roe v. Wade being overturned?
You never said anything about pro-life candidates. You said this in reply to a post about electing more Democratic senators, which doesn't inherently mean pro-life.
What if the Democrat on the ballot is in a region where any kind of abortion exception is non-negotiable, or they legitimately believe as such, and thus, they come out as pro-life? Again, that Big Tent. It's gotta be even bigger!
Right, and where is this happening? Specifically. Where at the Senate level?

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
One could almost be forgiven for coming to the conclusion that the wealthy, privileged, male, white, slave-owning founding fathers of America weren't actually visionary geniuses who managed to frame a constitutional republic that would manage to evolve and reflect the values of America over future centuries.
On the contrary, they envisioned a hierarchal caste system that would last for literal centuries and be so baked into our social fabric that even folks in the lower castes or those who empathized with them would still be like "Yeah, this is the best we can do."

When you look at it like that, it's actually a pretty fucking genius system.

I'm not going to keep responding to you if you assume something I haven't said and respond to that instead of what I actually wrote.
I really don't want you to keep responding to me.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
What downballot races have been abandoned?
organizations.ballotready.org

Nothing to Lose: Uncontested Races in 2020 — BallotReady for Organizations

In 2020, 70% of races went uncontested. The winners didn't even have to compete. See where these occurred, and what you can do to prevent this in your community.

Looks like about 75% of all partisan elections
Of the partisan races where there was only one candidate on the ballot in November, 12,199 (74%) were Republican Party, 3,561 (22%) were Democratic Party, 507 (3%) were Independent, and the remainder were minor party candidates.