• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, because this is far, FAR better than not doing anything at all, but access to abortions is becoming yet another human right tied to gainful employment because our institutions continually fail us.

It's worse than that. You will have to let your company know that you are having an abortion. It's really none of their business.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not directly, but despite having the biggest turnout in American history in the general election, the country is still barreling towards fascism at an alarming pace. I'm saying that we can't solve that through voting as the trend is antidemocratic in nature. It will happen no matter what.
This is happening because Hillary wasn't "inspiring" enough.

You were all warned about this in 2016. We told you what was at stake. It was taken for granted. Much like Ukraine, people refuse to see what they are seeing until it's too late.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
I personally do not believe in abortions, I would never want my wife or GF to get one. But I strongly believe in all women having the right to decide what they do with their own body. This is a horrible decision. And Thomas is a shitty fucking justice.

Oct 29, 2017
Here's a good reminder:

The SCOTUS literally cannot enforce their rulings. There is no enforcement body within the judicial branch.

We just do what they say because reasons.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

You were all warned about this in 2016. We told you what was at stake. It was taken for granted. Much like Ukraine, people won't see what they are seeing until it's too late.
Yet with Hillary the vast majority of Bernie voters turned out for her. Centrist independents were the ones who didn't turn out for her.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
And yet if people stopped voting against Republicans it would get even worse.

I'm not advocating that voting is magic, but there is absolutely a line of thought in this thread that voting is absolutely pointless and that absolutely needs to be pushed back against
The way to push back that line of thought would've been for rights and protections to be enshrined, and for gerrymandering and voter suppression to be curtailed, when establishment Democrats had power.

This was a 50 year long haul in the making and the people I elect were either too blindsided, too powerless, or too fucking stupid to protect me and other folks affected by this ruling, which is literally the only thing I vote for Democrats for, by the way. Harm reduction. Protection. These capitalistic crackers are not about to actually give minorities the autonomy and reparations we are owed. And yet we're all just sitting here in a daze wondering "how could this happen?"

Fact is, America is a neoliberal hellhole that, if it chooses, will make my Black, NB-ass life worse regardless of how I vote. I make no bones about the fact that this country is and always has been fucking rigged against my existence and I'm tired as fuck of getting told that the way to stop this is to vote in numbers that are increasingly impossible year after year.

Like Biden literally got the most votes in the history of this miserable country's existence. So what the fuck? We do vote. We're still getting fucked.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
I personally do not believe in abortions, I would never want my wife or GF to get one. But I strongly believe in all women having the right to decide what they do with their own body. This is a horrible decision. And Thomas is a shitty fucking justice.
This is how everyone should behave. Believe what you want but don't force your opinion on anyone.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about negotiations for legal abortions nationwide - but with a reduced limit down to around 15 weeks?

Recently it was based on viability of the foetus to survive outside of the womb which is like 24 weeks, but obviously it's more developed.
This all started up again because Mississippi tried to get it down to 15 weeks but the clinic was allowing 16 right? It probably had earlier roots.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a good reminder:

The SCOTUS literally cannot enforce their rulings. There is no enforcement body within the judicial branch.

We just do what they say because reasons.

This might matter when it's a ruling that "outlaws" something, but it doesn't matter in this case because the ruling is "those red states can go ahead and ban abortions now". And those red state governments WANT to. So there isn't anything to "enforce" it's just the people in those states no longer having access to abortions because those governments were just waiting until SCOTUS said "go ahead".

May 26, 2018
The way to push back that line of thought would've been for rights and protections to be enshrined, and for gerrymandering and voter suppression to be curtailed, when establishment Democrats had power.

This was a 50 year long haul in the making and the people I elect were either too blindsided, too powerless, or too fucking stupid to protect me and other folks affected by this ruling, which is literally the only thing I vote for Democrats for, by the way. Harm reduction. Protection. And yet we're all just sitting here in a daze wondering "how could this happen?"

Fact is, America is a neoliberal hellhole that, if it chooses, will make my Black, NB-ass life worse regardless of how I vote. I make no bones about the fact that this country is and always has been fucking rigged against my existence and I'm tired as fuck of getting told that the way to stop this is to vote in numbers that are increasingly impossible year after year.

Like Biden got the most votes in the history of this miserable country's existence. What the fuck? We do vote. We're still getting fucked.

By the one branch of government the people don't vote for and serves for life.

Hindsight 20/20 but that was a bad structural decision.

Oct 28, 2017
The Supreme Court said today that the American citizenry -- especially women -- have no rights. You don't have any rights if they can take any of them away from you.

I'm hoping the frogs realize the water is boiling before it is all too far gone.
I just dont understand how anyone can be "Pro Life" and yet somehow "Pro Gun."

It hurts my fucking head.
Try reconciling christian and conservative. It's the same bat-shit rationalization.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Voting is great for harm reduction and people should vote.

It's also not going to fucking solve an issue caused by a disparity between voting and representation, as well as a system that has an unelected political elite. I vote Democrat. I urge people to vote Democrat. I campaigned for Democrats. I am allowed to point out how fucking flawed the Democrats have been. They are walking on eggshells as the country moves further and further towards catastrophe.
Exactly. Voting won't do anything. These Democrats aren't on our side, either.

If anyone doesn't believe me, then watch these videos.

What we need are political movements like civil resistance, civil disobedience, mass general strikes, community solidarity building & mutual aid. Just protesting won't do shit, either.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird that as a Canadian I always felt kinda close to the USA but man these days it feels like an odd country from another dimension.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
What about negotiations for legal abortions nationwide - but with a reduced limit down to around 15 weeks?

Recently it was based on viability of the foetus to survive outside of the womb which is like 24 weeks, but obviously it's more developed.
This all started up again because Mississippi tried to get it down to 15 weeks but the clinic was allowing 16 right? It probably had earlier roots.
No

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Lasting progress typically takes more than just one election and the resulting 1.5 years but you can't possibly believe it only made things way worse

5144.jpg

And this was literally this year.

What good has voting Democrats gotten us? Like, I literally don't even entertain this question irl anymore, it's that beyond

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

why should we negotiate with the party that basically wants to enslave women as breeding factories?

you give fascists an inch and they will take literally everything you have

It has no impact on our current conditions because the court is still majority right-wing. I'm not against KBJ being on the court at all, but how did this make things better exactly?

The discussion was about harm reduction. Your statement was that the 2020 election made things way worse. That was my response. Getting the first Black woman on the Supreme Court is not a small thing that has zero impact.

I could also list bills that the 117th congress has passed, some of which we actually needed.

We also empowered a government that was actually prepared and willing to deal with the pandemic that the previous government did next to nothing about.

There's also the small yet kind of important fact that it kept Trump from maintaining power.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017

This was a 50 year long haul in the making and the people I elect were either too blindsided, too powerless, or too fucking stupid to protect me and other folks affected by this ruling, which is literally the only thing I vote for Democrats for, by the way. Harm reduction. Protection. These capitalistic crackers are not about to actually give minorities the autonomy and reparations we are owed. And yet we're all just sitting here in a daze wondering "how could this happen?"

Like Biden literally got the most votes in the history of this miserable country's existence. So what the fuck? We do vote. We're still getting fucked.
As a brown European who voted for macron to reduce harm only to have his surrogates call the fascists constructive and refer to a regular demsoc party as an extremist far left party. I get you comrade.

Muse98

May 28, 2020
When people are more outraged about gas prices than women losing human rights

You know you're done as a country

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Voting won't do anything. These Democrats aren't on our side, either.

If anyone doesn't believe me, then watch these videos.

What we need are political movements like civil resistance, civil disobedience, mass general strikes, community solidarity building & mutual aid. Just protesting won't do shit, either.

Abortion was outlawed today exclusively in states controlled by Republicans. Turns out voting for Dems did something in the other states.

Voting takes a few hours per year and is not mutually exclusive with any of the other direct action you outlined. It is harm reduction meant to minimize catastrophe while we work on structural changes.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Have no disagreement with any of this.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

First of all that's a stupid idea. Second of all even if it wasn't a stupid idea, it would be impossible anyway.

Last edited:

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
Wrong. This is happening because racist whites keep voting in lock-step because their hatred is infinite. But somehow the onus is on us minorities, the working poor, or the left to have an indomitable will at all costs.

White people need to hold themselves accountable.

You were all warned about this in 2016. We told you what was at stake. It was taken for granted. Much like Ukraine, people refuse to see what they are seeing until it's too late.
I was there in PoliGAF when this shit went down. The Hillary crew that were so confident of her win straight up disappeared the following morning.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Abortion was outlawed today exclusively in states controlled by Republicans. Turns out voting for Dems did something in the other states.

Voting takes a few hours per year and is not mutually exclusive with any of the other direct action you outlined. It is harm reduction meant to minimize catastrophe while we work on structural changes.

People need to learn this in this thread. They act like voting is the ONLY thing and want to dismiss it. Playing right into the GOP hands, voting is just the first step in an ensemble of actions at your disposal.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe not directly, but despite having the biggest turnout in American history in the general election, the country is still barreling towards fascism at an alarming pace. I'm saying that we can't solve that through voting as the trend is antidemocratic in nature. It will happen no matter what.
It's barreling towards facism, but it's not because of a majority. Wins in key areas can shut it all down in it's tracks. So yes voting can still help.

Doomsaying that voting doesn't matter and won't change anything meanwhile accomplishes exactly squat.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
This is really the only recourse, whether the public is up for it or not *shrug*
I've been telling everybody this for the longest time on this forum, but people want to keep shutting me down.

Bruh, Democrats in Congress & everywhere else don't care about anyone but themselves, dark money & insider trading that they get from rich, corporate donors & lobbyists. They work with them & Republicans behind closed doors.

If they truly cared about our rights, they would've started with Roe V. Wade a long time ago starting with Carter.

And this:

Our democrat governor in Lousiana, ugh

Just proves my point further.

People need to learn this in this thread. They act like voting is the ONLY thing and want to dismiss it. Playing right into the GOP hands, voting is just the first step in an ensemble of actions at your disposal.
Thank you!

Last edited: