• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Anger is gonna take years off my life. Selfish thinking that when others wili literally suffer.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'm aware they did this. But that was two months ago (and God it's sad that I'm saying that). People that are angry right now in this thread are quoting Biden and Pelosi's actions from today and pissed off at them and throwing shade at the Democratic party, because Pelosi is choosing to read poems instead of bring THIS up again.

That's what I'm saying. People are angry TODAY. RIGHT NOW is when they need to strike with their messaging and making people aware that Republicans are bad guys.
Pelosi read a poem at the end of a speech. People are choosing to ignore that context and pretend all she did was read a poem so they have a boogeyman to get angry at.

Dems suck, Pelosi is meh, but can we please God stop making shit up and going all "bitch eating crackers" on everyone?

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I say this with complete sincerity: fuck every single person at every possible level who supported this. They are pieces of shit.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
What happened to settled law from all their confirmation hearings? If a Supreme Court justice can't be held accountable to word than what the fuck do I care about their legitimacy?
You shouldn't, because they are not legitimate. They have lost any shred of credibility as an impartial institution. It's over

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Violence is the only solution that's left on the table, unfortunately
You know what? I'll just be happy with some anger. You know, I drive Lyft and Uber in a swing state, and you know what I never hear? Democrats bitching about anything the Right does. You know what I hear absolutely every single day? A Republican bitching to me about Joe Biden. They are angry. Their blood is pumping.

Will we see that anger coming from the Left now? I have my doubts but god I hope so.

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
Democrats about to take a supermajority this fall. It's about to be hell on wheels at the voting booths.

More signs pointing toward the exact opposite happening. Republicans getting control of the senate and house, than in 2024, presidency.

Then we will REALLY see scorched earth happen to this country.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand. What is a woman supposed to do if she gets fucking raped? Or a teen? Or a fucking child? This is terrifying.

the anti-abortion laws put in place by republicans across the country have been very clear on this. the answer might surprise you because it's sometimes way worse than you can possibly imagine, such as being forced to carry the rapist's child to term, and then losing custody to the rapist, and then having to pay child support to the rapist who has custody of the child he raped into you.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't followed this at all, so pardon my ignorance.

But what sparked this re-opening??? And not some, "GOP is evil!" But for real, what was the driving decision that said, "Let's challenge this!"

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I don't understand. What is a woman supposed to do if she gets fucking raped? Or a teen? Or a fucking child? This is terrifying.

have the child and live with a crippling financial situation and emotional scars that last a lifetime and this is all without factoring the fact that they were raped.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

But what sparked this re-opening??? And not some, "GOP is evil!" But for real, what was the driving decision that said, "Let's challenge this!"

The GOP have been making restrictive abortions laws specifically to have a chilling effect and to have SCOTUS take it up so they can overturn Roe. They got what they wanted.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
Are you a mark if you're in on the work?

She knew, she just acts like a moderate because the media falls for it and loves it.

And the voters of Maine, unfortunately.

playing the mark is part of the game. she is trying to save face and keep her moderate voters by acting like she was duped, knowing full well what they were going to do when they lied to the american public.
Unfortunately, politics as usual.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

They have a majority in the Supreme Court so now they're going with their wildest dreams that they previously were unable to obtain.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

They've been chipping away since Roe v Wade, nothing sparked this specifically, they just finally got the right court installed

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Now the folks in Washington will be patting themselves on the back for passing the most toothless gun legislation that they could've possibly passed. We can't control guns but women's bodies are a different story I guess.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

There have been consistent challenges to it for ages, primarily by passing laws in red states that push the boundaries. All it took was for a large enough SCOTUS majority, particularly the last two justices which were picked in part for their views on the topic.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
They've literally already said they would be illegal. There's no wondering here. Every time a woman in these states has sex now she's risking her life unless she's had a hysterectomy or was amab.
This. I can't imagine the fear running through the veins of parents of sexually active teenage girls in these states at this point. Horrifying.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

its not an all of a sudden thing

this has been the driving force of republican politicking for 50 years and they just finally succeeded

republicans have never agreed with the decision and have always wanted to pull it back. they just didn't have the ability to do so until 2016 gave it to them.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017

Republicans have never let roe v wade go since it was a ruling. Literally the day of the ruling they were already on tv and in interviews talking about how the battle isn't over and they will do what it takes to overturn it. They've never stopped.

As to what sparked it, it was the final realisation of their long game. Getting enough power on the scotus to overturn it and rule anyway they want. This is exactly why the fight for the scotus in 2016 was so important. The battle is lost for now but the war is far from over. It'll take time and huge effort to get back what's been taken but it can happen as has been seen in other nations.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
I think, given our federal government's refusal to protect humans rights and be a functioning democracy, it's time for secessionist movements to be reconsidered (yes I know they are technically illegal).

I'm sure the right are so fucking stupid they wouldnt care if the entire west coast just took all the rights they afford their citizens (which the christian republicans controlling this fucking country hate) and bailed. I love where I live WA state, but I hate our fucking country. We need a new country to guarantee human rights and bodily autonomy. The USA is fucking doomed.

Oct 27, 2017
So how long before the red states start implementing their own bounty hunter law for women who drive to blue sanctuary to get an abortion and either stay there or come back?
How would this be legal? State laws only apply within that jurisdiction. If a woman goes to a blue state to get an abortion, she's not breaking laws in the blue state. I don't think the type of state law you are referencing could be considered Constitutional.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
The Supreme Court are just politicians with lifetime appointments and more power. All my life I've heard fuckwads pretend they are special, impartial, above it all. Shit was always a joke.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
And we have our first example of somebody who is either duped by rage bait, or a proponent of it:

Not TODAY.

Look, the GOP just got a huge win but they know that there will be backlash. One proven method for dealing with that is to divide and demoralize your opponent. People will be amplifying and spinning every bit of news they can get to make people not want to vote against them in the Fall.
Some of those people will just be having their penchant for outrage stoked and misdirected. Others will be intentionally undermining. Neither is worth repeating, reposting, or even following.

There's no meaningful public retrospective to be had until mid November.

Especially today. Because self scouting is how you shore up weakness, and find an effective message to achieve goals.

People will spin regardless, and you only fall down if you don't know where you're unstable at. And that only comes from active constructive criticism.

Yelling at the apathetic and disinterested hasn't worked so far, giving reasons and goals to work toward always has.

Oct 29, 2017

The SCOTUS skews right, and Congressional Dems don't have the numbers to codify. This has been the #1 GOP goal for decades, and with the republicans seemingly about to take power in 2022 the time was right.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's adding little to the conversation that hasn't been repeated and said many times already but I'd be banned for what I really want to say. Let's just keep it at a huge part of this country is fundamentally broken and I'm not just talking about the systems in place.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
How would this be legal? State laws only apply within that jurisdiction. If a woman goes to a blue state to get an abortion, she's not breaking laws in the blue state. I don't think the type of state law you are referencing could be considered Constitutional.

Not the person but you could go after those who helped get them to destination. For example, if someone drove them across the state to go to another state.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Does this court have any interest in invalidating the laws in blue states protecting the right to choose?