• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Does he mean electing Democrats in states that may try to ban abortion? Cause otherwise what a dumb statement
He is saying I need more than 50 senators if you want shit done. Which is true. We need 52. Luckily all those running have said they would remove the filibuster. Remember Biden wasn't the one who stopped the voting rights act, or the BBB, or anything else. 2 dem senators decided it for millions of us.

It's like people forget that.

Oct 27, 2017
Even if Congress passes a law SCOTUS can just call it unconstitutional.

SCOTUS can also call state law unconstitutional.

So not sure what's being voted for here. The King Hath Ruled.
Nah, you can't have this mindset. Does your Republican opponent have this mindset? No, they do not.

They continuously prod and challenge defiantly via lower level legislation until they get what they want in the long term.

This is a war... Not a single battle. Everyone needs to realize that and adjust accordingly.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you were a woman who abortion on federal property in a state that has criminalized abortion, doesn't that woman immediately get arrested as soon as she steps off the base?
No state has said that someone seeking an abortion can be punished, though there have been limited cases in which they have brought related charges, and generally it's not clear that the courts would actually allow them to do that. All of the legal fight has been around the people performing and facilities abortions, not the patients themselves.

But yes in order to do that with no or limited legal risk for everyone involved they would have to transport the patients and doctors to and from the site via helicopter to another state.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
This isn't the fault of Democrats. This is a direct result of Republicans in office. Blame voters who aren't voting against Republicans, if anything, because aside from Manchin and Sinema, the elected officials are proposing and passing bills that can have real effects. Only to get stopped at a Republican stonewall.

But that's not even the fundamental issue. As long as a majority of the Senate is represented by a minority of the population, and the electoral college awards more votes to states with less people, the rural minority opinion is going to stay on top.

The nature of far right extremism is dogma, which perfectly encapsulates their fervent devotion to voting for their candidates. Elected Democrats can't save a wand and make the rest of the population do the same.
The problem is we need fighters and instead we got theater nerds:

You understand right? The GOP can be very bad but the Dems can also be shit. It's not an either/or thing.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
No, not at all. I'm angry and I think him jumping to the idea that the backlash should be mitigated just ticks me off. Better to say nothing.

I get that, but this is what a President is supposed to do. He's trying to proactively head off any potential violence. They are supposed to be calming influences.

He's not going to say "don't protest". He's going to say "protest peacefully".

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I also had a doctor try his fucking hardest to stop me when I asked about scheduling something recently. Like dude its reversible, but its also my fucking choice and Im making it, not you.
Same here - the doctor repeatedly tried to push it off, asking me "what if you meet someone and want to give her a baby?"

I get that they're trying to prevent people from making rash decisions (its not guaranteed to be reversible), but still. After hearing that a couple of times I had to tell him point blank "it's my fucking body, I want this done."

And its even harder for AFAB people to get sterilized despite taking the physical brunt of childbearing. "It's my body" is a meaningless phrase when it comes from us because our worth has historically been and still is tied to our ability to bear children.

Fucked up shit.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible to me that so many people in here keep saying "what can the democrats even do!?" When the democrats have won the popular vote but lost in the electoral college for 20+ years

thats basically fraud and you all keep shaking your head and saying "thats the way things work"

If they won't fight for that extremely basic injustice, what else will they fight for?
You're in a circular loop there. You need a constitutional amendment to overturn the electoral college and that requires 75% of state governments or an overwhelming majority of the house and senators The most that can be done is uncap the number of congressional seats. This would be a double edged sword as Texas and Florida would gain more reps and thus more electoral votes and a larger voice as these new seats can be gerrymandered.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's just fucking wild to me that that group of people got together, asked, "what can we do?" and collectively came to an agreement to sing God Bless America as a choir.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, how dare he get out in front of any potential violence.

Maybe he should talk about the violence of forcing people to carry to term, or the violence of back-alley abortions coming back, or any of the actual violence this decision will directly cause instead of hypothetical violence

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
If someone can help me, what, precisely, prevents the Supreme Court from just nullifying any effort Congress can do and just go "ehhhh nuh uh." We've seen, just this week, more freedom for guns than women.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017

Haven't seen this posted. Garland basically saying anyone who needs an abortion can order this drug and states will not be allowed to restrict it.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Maybe he should talk about the violence of forcing people to carry to term, or the violence of back-alley abortions coming back, or any of the actual violence this decision will directly cause instead of hypothetical violence

I tried to edit that out because I'm not looking to be confrontational with anyone here. I'm sorry you saw the post before I got rid of it.

As to your point, I agree, he should say all of those things. He also has a responsibility to try and prevent direct violence from this ruling. That's part of being a President.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
People need to understand that if you vote, and you hear people begging "go vote!" Theyre not talking to you.

Instead of throwing your hands up in the air saying "I DO vote and its not helping!" You should be begging others to vote just as much. There are never enough voters, we have to have an overwhelming majority to beat Republicans cheating the game, but we continue to come up short because so many people who already vote are questioning the value of it and discouraging others who dont.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People need to understand that if you vote, and you hear people begging "go vote!" Theyre not talking to you.

Instead of throwing your hands up in the air saying "I DO vote and its not helping!" You should be begging others to vote just as much. There are never enough voters, we have to have an overwhelming majority to beat Republicans cheating the game, but we continue to come up short because so many people who already vote are questioning the value of it and discouraging others who dont.
Agreed. It's not a personal attack on those that vote.

Screaming that voting doesn't help is doing more harm than good.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I really don't like the keyboard calls to violence when we have tweets in here showing BLACK WOMEN stepping to the front lines to save y'alls asses. Again.

Like, some people really don't think about who is being expected to enact this violence, and who won't be protected from this violence.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017

Instead of throwing your hands up in the air saying "I DO vote and its not helping!" You should be begging others to vote just as much. There are never enough voters, we have to have an overwhelming majority to beat Republicans cheating the game, but we continue to come up short because so many people who already vote are questioning the value of it and discouraging others who don't.
Screaming that voting doesn't help is doing more harm than good.
Exactly. We're not talking to the folks who already show up to oppose conservatives.

We're talking to non-voters and idiot protest voters. It's not a one-time thing either. We have to show up every time, because the Christofascists will undoubtedly be there too.

Last edited:

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Yep I am so sick of this cycle.