• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
They aren't going to do that even if they had 2 more votes.

Do you really want Republicans to have free reign to do whatever they want??

I think a party that sweeps the presidency, House, and Senate should be able to pass laws, yes. People should be able to tangibly observe the consequences of their national votes, just like every other democracy on earth. The abstraction is what has gotten us to this point in the first place. Republicans were able to hide their unpopular agenda until they took over the courts, democrats were unable to enact their popular agenda without supermajority, large swaths of the country were lulled into believing both sides were the same.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry, rich fuckers can still take their rich daughters to have an abortion in another state. It's only the rabble that will be affected by this. All is good.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
I just have so much trouble understanding why conservatives are obsessed with banning abortion. It literally doesn't you personally in the slightest. Spare me the moral outrage. There's so many more important issues to worry about and we're just stuck in the fucking past on this issue for no reason.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hearing this a lot, but how likely is it enforceable? With driving between states completely unrestricted, what's stopping someone just visiting elsewhere and, so long as they keep their mouths shut, return home after happening to visit a doctor?

One idea is seeing when a woman is due for her period and cross-referencing that with dates of travel to regions that allow abortion.

Remember, all of this is tracked in things like those period calendar apps or travel apps. If the user tapped "I agree" on the EULA, then anyone can pay to have access to that information including state governments.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Any word on the situation when the pregnancy is outside the uterus so both mom and child are destined to die, if no abortion is performed?
Treatment for ectopic pregnancy has never been in question. Entirely separate from abortion. Conservative senators may spout some non-medical bullshit about it, but they can't deny somebody a lifesaving procedure without putting themselves at risk.
Even in Texas, abortion can be legally performed if the mother is in immediate risk of death, or a serious risk of substantial impairment of a major bodily function. Again, lawmakers are careful to avoid culpability for these damages.

However, if the fetus has a non-survivable anomaly but it doesn't place the mother at immediate risk, termination is not an option here. You can imagine the psychological trauma of carrying a doomed baby to term and potentially having a cesarean section to deliver it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If I'm Republican reading this thread, im ecstatic. We stripe rights away from minorities and you all blame the black man and white woman? Excellent. Time for gay marriage next.

Like holy shit, can we get our heads in the game? It is 2022. This is happening now, regardless of why we're here. What's next?
+1, it's time to stop infighting and regreting past mistakes and lock step fight together going forward

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
There is no such thing as a moderate Republican. Every last GOP voter is responsible for this, and I will not forget it.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
As an outsider, this is shocking, never thought that developing nations legislature in regards to abortion would be better than United States.

Question, with this to be solved in a state level, does this mean that any women from a state that prohibits abortion can travel to an state that accepts abortion, have a safe procedure and then return home?

In certain states, the solution may be to actually move to the new state, as traveling back to the original state may incur fees or jail time, as I understand it. Some states are trying to prohibit that kind of back and forth travel.

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
IMG_7660.png

it is absolutely the dem's fault for this farce. fuck them, and fuck this country.

Get the fuck out of here with this shit. Have you even paid attention the last 5 years or has your head been up your ass the whole damn time? This is on Trump voters, non voters and protest voters. Period. If Trump never becomes president RoeVwade still stands.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
And? We've lost the battle already. May as well be honest and say WV has a Republican senator. Instead we let Joe manchin abuse his power for personal greed and gain. His only worth is he claims to be a democrat. Why. What use is he? Cut him lose.

This isn't true at all. Manchin being a democrat is the reason it's Kamala Harris breaking ties and not a Reoublican. Also the reason democrats get to decide what to bring to the floor. Fuck Manchin for a lot of things, but he does have his use.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Manchin has a 100% voting record on every single federal judge Biden has nominated

Under majority leader Mitch McConnell (which would happen if Manchin was a Republican), exactly 0 of those federal judges would even be voted on

And yet women now have less rights. We don't have healthcare in this country. We don't have a safe country, it's the OK corral. What's the downside exactly that we are preventing? What do we fear will happen that isn't already happen under the Republican parties minority rule? We are on the verge of giving them the presidency again.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
The "fuck the Dems" mentality ITT could not more perfectly encapsulate why the right was able to succeed at this.

Conservative evangelicals and Republicans have been on the anti-abortion crusade for *50 years*. And across those five decades, did they ever say fuck the GOP? Did they blast both parties as the same? Did they seriously threaten to vote third party or form a new party or not vote at all? Did they say they would flee the country or burn the system down?

No. They spent 50 years mobilizing voters, electing as many anti-abortion Republicans as they could, kicking those who weren't sufficiently anti-abortion out of the party. They played an extremely long game and won it because they never took their eye off the ball: that the key to making policy is winning elections. No politician was too odious to ally with. Donald Trump should've been the most obvious candidate to run away from; instead they pledged their full support to him and had it pay off dividends. Meanwhile, so many progressive and other left-of-center voters basically spend every two years looking for an excuse not to vote.

Voting doesn't not work; it works extremely well! What doesn't work is this constant attitude of trying to take yourself out of the equation. And it's frustrating that so many on the left still can't learn this lesson when the right is teaching it to us all the time.
Bingo

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Even if this theory that he could have made an inter-session recess appointment was correct, it would have expired on January 3, 2017, and Trump would still appoint Gorsuch. Nothing would change.

Recess appointments are temporary, not permanent.

As opposed to…?

Also, as far as the legislative process goes, the House is not where the holdup is.

Exactly. The only option is to vote or protest - there is no other option.

We need to protest, put pressure, and vote out anyone against abortion.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

Glad the Democrats are going to hold a hearing about this next month.

That's the sort of urgency and action this sort of tragedy calls for.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just have so much trouble understanding why conservatives are obsessed with banning abortion. It literally doesn't you personally in the slightest. Spare me the moral outrage. There's so many more important issues to worry about and we're just stuck in the fucking past on this issue for no reason.

They don't like women and don't want women to have any rights. That's the gist of it. They don't care about the babies just like they don't care about elementary school children getting gunned down.

It's all about women and "putting women in their place".

viskod

Nov 9, 2017

Yeah, if people had in 2016 we wouldn't be in this situation.

Joe Manchin being dumb about how shocked he is this happened is to be expected, but it's not Joe Manchin's fault this happened. We didn't have the votes to stop Trump from getting these justices in place, and Joe Manchin did not elect Trump in 2016.

The people that turned their nose up at Hillary did.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
In certain states, the solution may be to actually move to the new state, as traveling back to the original state may incur fees or jail time, as I understand it. Some states are trying to prohibit that kind of back and forth travel.
which they shouldn't be able to do, as soon as someone cross state lines it should be a federal issue. But clearly this shit is eroding.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
From NewRepublic. There was absolutely a way for Obama to make an appointment. He chose not to because decorum and all that. And yeah, I have been plugged into politics since 2004 and over time my cynicism grew over democrats wanting to play by the rules, while gop abuse them whenever given the chance.

Did you read your own quote?

Any appointments made in this fashion expire at the end of the next Senate session. So a Garland appointment on January 3 would last until December 2017, the end of the first session of the 115th Congress.

If Obama made a recess appointment, Mitch would've overturned it once the senate session ended and Trump would be responsible for filling it. It changes nothing about the impact of the 2016 election.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
The "fuck the Dems" mentality ITT could not more perfectly encapsulate why the right was able to succeed at this.

Conservative evangelicals and Republicans have been on the anti-abortion crusade for *50 years*. And across those five decades, did they ever say fuck the GOP? Did they blast both parties as the same? Did they seriously threaten to vote third party or form a new party or not vote at all? Did they say they would flee the country or burn the system down?

No. They spent 50 years mobilizing voters, electing as many anti-abortion Republicans as they could, kicking those who weren't sufficiently anti-abortion out of the party. They played an extremely long game and won it because they never took their eye off the ball: that the key to making policy is winning elections. No politician was too odious to ally with. Donald Trump should've been the most obvious candidate to run away from; instead they pledged their full support to him and had it pay off dividends. Meanwhile, so many progressive and other left-of-center voters basically spend every two years looking for an excuse not to vote.

Voting doesn't not work; it works extremely well! What doesn't work is this constant attitude of trying to take yourself out of the equation. And it's frustrating that so many on the left still can't learn this lesson when the right is teaching it to us all the time.
This 100 times over.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Disgusting. This country fucking blows.

I am so happy I got a vasectomy last year. I never want kids, but I am now happy that I will never need to subject any future women to this BS loss of rights to their own bodies.

The worst part is, it's only going to get worse with this insane SC.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
What it always was.

To anyone who has ever lived with the comfort of believing that the United States was was not capable of this? Was better than this? Then truly, I envy you.

And that's the thing that always gags me about the "vote!" conversation. Proponents of voting sometimes get treated like we're naive. Like we believe in the "goodness" of this country. And, no. Many of us vote because we know how batshit awful this place is, and how much worse it could be.
THIS. All of this. It shouldn't be so damn hard to understand.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Well I'm sure that the people that rubber stamped Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Barrett are completely shocked by this ruling. None of us are because we knew they were fucking lying, but I'm sure those senators are completely surprised by this.

And anybody that voted for Trump in 2016 and is surprised by this, fuck you. You should have known better.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Obama had 59 votes. There were 5 or 6 that were the Blue Dog Dems. You're saying Harry Reid couldn't whip up 51 votes?
Not a chance. Obama would have been lucky to get 30 votes to nuke the filibuster in 2010. The Senate was a fundamentally different institution in 2010 than it is in 2022.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana

No. They spent 50 years mobilizing voters, electing as many anti-abortion Republicans as they could, kicking those who weren't sufficiently anti-abortion out of the party. They played an extremely long game and won it because they never kept their eye off the ball: that the key to making policy is winning elections. Meanwhile, so many progressive and other left-of-center voters basically spend every two years looking for an excuse not to vote.

The problem isn't just with progressives unless blue dogs are somehow leftists now? Unless all Dems get serious about using all the institutional tools in their arsenal to enact change to tilt the process back to level ground then chiding people for not voting hard in a rigged game that they're already winning, is nonsense.

The majority didn't vote for this.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

This is incredibly spot on.