• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Yes...for now. Red states are already planning on putting laws into place that would punish residents who would try this and I'll give you two guesses how the SC would rule when it comes to shit like this.
Someone's going to try to drag people back into a state by force and it'll cause a new Dred Scott

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Fuck the United States of America. Fuck this third world nation. Fuck the Republicans for being monsters, and Fuck the Democrats for sitting on their ass these past 50 years. Women's rights are human rights, and these fuckers just voted to slash them. It's horrifying and I feel bad for all the women stuck in that shithole of a country that now have their lives and lively hoods just put at risk.

This ruling will kill women. This ruling will lead to unwanted children and a wave of child abuse. This ruling is fucked.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
legitimately what are the states united by? the name United States just doesn't work anymore, if the list of federal things is so small and can't be adjusted

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
We had our chance to prevent all of this in 2016. A lot of us knew what was at stake. But we have to live with our neglect

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Yikes. My condolences to all the women out there, it's going to be a shitty weekend.

What's their thought process on Sterelization? Cause I'm betting we're going to see a boost in numbers and I'm sure sooner or later that's going to another "problem to solve" by our dear leaders 🙄

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing Obama could have done is appoint a judge while Congress was at full recess. But the problem is Mitch never allowed Congress to be at "full" recess as he always left a couple of representatives there — he was smart, and would never allow Obama such a loophole.

In other words, there was nothing Obama could have legally done.
Unless I just forgot, as its been quite a while now, there was a ruling saying he couldn't.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Depends on the state. Missouri for instance has made it so anyone who is involved in an out-of-state abortion (where it is legal) can be sued in Missouri state court.

I'm hearing this a lot, but how likely is it enforceable? With driving between states completely unrestricted, what's stopping someone just visiting elsewhere and, so long as they keep their mouths shut, return home after happening to visit a doctor?

Maxximo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having zero empathy for others is concerning. Enjoy your victory lap though, I guess.

Oh but i do have empathy and I think there some good even in the united states just not the majority. The US have brought a lot of suffering to themselves but even worse to others and mostly just for greed and a lust for power. So yeah i'm sorry for the good people who are suffering but that country is rotten to the core and still has too much influence on the global scene.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
If stuff like same sex marriage and contraception are banned in (parts) of America, they will alienate themselves from the rest of the western world. Extradition treaties for example will be torn up by most judges in Europe, and you can legally get refuge here (the Netherlands) if you are at risk of getting jailed because of a same sex relationship. America would basically seize to be part of the western world, a crazy thought.

Ironically enough you can do the same thing here. It is grounds for asylum (at least right now).

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, yes. Some states, like Missouri, have already hinted at trying to halt travel for abortion, however freedom of interstate movement (unless bound or prevented via incarceration or other legal decree) is guaranteed in the constitution. States will probably also try to prevent outside organizations from providing travel assistance.

IIRC, states like Missouri have or are planning to implement Texas style "bounty hunter" laws where civil lawsuits can be brought against people who had or facilitate an abortion.

One thing that I don't see brought up much is how corrosive this type of enforcement could be in communites. Any woman who loses a pregnancy for whatever reason is going to be looking over their shoulder wondering if a neighbor or coworker is going to accuse them of having an abortion. Same goes for anyone connected; if that woman confides with another person about a pregnancy and then goes have an abortion, is that person going to need to be worried about getting dragged into a lawsuit and have to prove they didn't give them pro-abortion advice?

I can potentially see woman's health and pregnancy in general becoming toxic topics really fast

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
If there's two Dems that deserve all the shit coming their way it's absolutely manchin and Sinema. This is on them.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Stop this shit. She won the popular vote. More Bernie voters swung over to her than her supporters swung over to Obama in 2008. It's time to stop relitigating 2016 for the millionth time and focus on today.

I'm sorry that this decision was the direct result of the 2016 election. I also didn't mention people who voted her. I mentioned people who didn't, hence the "Sticking it to hillary" comment. I don't know why you're so defensive about a comment I didn't make.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

Manchin:

money-crying.gif

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
i hope we never stop giving Susan Collins shit. Fuck her!

Fuck you Manchin! You and sinema can do something about it.

I really hope this is a wake up call to everyone including Sinema, Manchin and any voter who is on the fense this November. This is full on war, these fuckers are not playing games.

GOP has been on this for decades, voting, lobbying, grooming candidates and using every dirty trick in the book. It's time Democrats do the same.

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
what has siding with democrats achieved beyond broken promises, eternal consternation, and mitigated losses? tearing down democrats has at least, to some degree, proven successful in raising awareness and acceptance of other, more progressive forms of political philosophy, and that has been by far more productive than siding with a bunch of spineless cowards on anything but the mitigation of evil.

"they do nothing, but raise awareness of other people who do even less" uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that is what I thought. And he lost that majority because of his push for the Affordable Care Act.

Did (Bill) Clinton every have enough?
Don't think so.

The last time the democrats had over 60 senators and the Presidency was in the 1970s when Jimmy Carter was President.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
What would it take for abortion to become federal law in the US? Would it need to go through the supreme court again if Democrats had full control of the Senate and the House?
A big Dem majority of over 60 in the Senate, a strong Dem majority in the House, a Dem President, and the 5% chance this Supreme Court wouldn't just go lol no.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
Mitch McConnell should never have been allowed to pull his bullshit in 2016. It is the express duty of the Senate to vote on Supreme Court appointees.

He has almost single handedly ruined civil rights in America.

There was the behind closed doors meeting saying if Hilary won they had plans to keep seats vacant until a republican won the president office.

Granted I do wish Hilary won because elections matter and candidates aren't perfect so not voting is not an excuse.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Supreme court obviously doesnt work.

Nobody gets voted in by the people, everyone is appointed kings for life, no actual rule about how many there should be, and presidents just take advantage of lucky openings to enforce partisan rule. Like how the fuck is this even remotely acceptable? Kindergarten classrooms are more tightly managed than this dumb luck shitstorm.

A reasonable government should not have such an important aspect of their function devised about as well as your kid neighbor's treehouse club.

With shit this broken dems should just take advantage of the complete systemic failure to pack the court until somebody decides to make the rules make any amount of sense.
Me thinks it's wrong to give so much power to so few people. I grew up being told the three branches of government are supposed to act as checks and balances towards each other so that no one is more powerful than the other. Where you can argue that's fair when talking about the Executive branch and the Legislative branch, the Judicial branch seems to be the "end all" with the final say on EVERYTHING. Hell, they almost seem more powerful than the President. Positions that powerful SHOULD be limited by terms and WHO gets into that position SHOULD be voted in by the PEOPLE of the nation.

One way would be to add more justicies to the court. The number isn't set in stone
Republicans and Moderates: "But GUYSSSS, we've had this number for a nice while now. It's considered the modern traditional norm. Don't rock the boat!"

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Devastating. It feels like the country is slipping away back into the 1950's.

At what point do people get pushed so far that the peaceful protests stop and violent ones start? Once 2-3 more horrific rulings come down?

People feel hopeless and rightly so. How much longer will they just stand by and watch all this happen, I wonder.

Money. Generally speaking, I think that mass amounts of people have to feel their livelihoods are seriously threatened before serious revolutionary action is considered. Ironically, gas prices getting significantly worse is more likely to spur serious action than abortion being taken away.