• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MathChief

Feb 2, 2020
Any word on the situation when the pregnancy is outside the uterus so both mom and child are destined to die, if no abortion is performed?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Continuing to haggle over 2016 doesn't fix this and no one's mind is being changed in this thread because y'all have had the same damn arguments for years, probably with the same people. Put that energy into doing anything. Anything at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
It really does feel like the pendulum is swinging irreversibly toward civil war at this point. On an existential level, Republican ideology is not compatible with a healthy nation.

The forever ironic thing is that "the left" really is so much less interested in running into the capitol and killing people. If this were somehow an issue the right was the opposite way on, SC justices would probably have already been killed.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already see people pissed at democrats, so job done I suppose. Democrats are in this position because they do.not.vote. in midterms and local elections. This moment in time is 50 years of republican gamesmanship coming to a head. Thousands of small victories.

Meanwhile the only thing democrats ever care about is absolutist wins. Nothing matters more than that.

And here we are now. I just had a friend almost die from an ectopic pregnancy. I had a close friend get an abortion at 15 after she was raped.

Now democrats will eat themselves because the only thing that can change ANGTHING is to keep voting democrats. Which is the one thing democrats hate doing.

HVivi

Nov 29, 2020
Question for people who might know better: I know this does not help people who don't have the means to do this but is it legal for someone in one of the states where this is banned to travel to a state where it is legal to get an abortion?

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad that I didn't have to raise my daughters in some third world theocratic shit-hole, like Afghanistan... or Texas...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
what has siding with democrats achieved beyond broken promises, eternal consternation, and mitigated losses? tearing down democrats has at least, to some degree, proven successful in raising awareness and acceptance of other, more progressive forms of political philosophy, and that has been by far more productive than siding with a bunch of spineless cowards on anything but the mitigation of evil.

If we can't even manage a basic coalition because we turn on each other the second we don't get what we want, we will NEVER take power back from the right wing. At the end of the day, that is the problem - the right wing coalition is completely unshakeable, whereas the left wing collapses in on itself like a black hole with infighting whenever it matters most for us to be unified.

Don't vote for Democrats. Vote for whatever stops Republicans from having a majority. And in a two-party system, that means voting for Democrats to vote AGAINST Republicans. A third party is not going to ever build enough of a coalition to break the Republican wall.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Religiously motivated lawmaking should be enough to warrant firing some of those judges. Separation of church and state should be protected for all costs.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Let me rephrase, when did he have the NUMERICAL chance. I honestly don't remember if Obama had votes to clear both the House and the Senate at any time during his Presidency. Because there is a big difference between controlling the House and the Senate and having the votes in both.

Obama had 60 senators caucusing with Democrats for 4 months. He never had 60 pro-choice senators. At least 2 Dems were openly pro-life and there were others from red/purple states that probably wouldn't have supported changing the status quo on abortion.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the obvious of voting more Democrats in every state government, many red states have ballot initiative processes that can get legalized abortion on a ballot to pass directly without their Republican controlled legislation doing anything

Wouldn't these initiatives need to be approved by said republicans to even be on yearly ballots?

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
At what point do people get pushed so far that the peaceful protests stop and violent ones start? Once 2-3 more horrific rulings come down?

People feel hopeless and rightly so. How much longer will they just stand by and watch all this happen, I wonder.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
the bully pulpit exists for a reason. if a president actually wants something to pass, you whip those fucking votes. that's how it's always been done, and i'm shocked at the lackadaisical attitude of "well he couldn't have FORCED it"

Except we just had 4 years of a President who used the bully pulpit quite literally as a BULLY pulpit, and he didn't get even half his agenda passed.

So no, that's not how it's always been done.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
"...a Supreme Court case decided in 2014, National Labor Relations Board v. Noel Canning, et. al., makes clear that President Obama does not have the constitutional authority to recess appoint Garland in the face of determined Senate opposition."

Supreme Court rebukes Obama on recess appointments - The Washington Post
The only thing Obama could have done is appoint a judge while Congress was at full recess. But the problem is Mitch never allowed Congress to be at "full" recess as he always left a couple of representatives there — he was smart, and would never allow Obama such a loophole.

In other words, there was nothing Obama could have legally done.
Here's how it would work. Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution states, "The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate." This has been used for Supreme Court vacancies before—William Brennan began his Court tenure with a recess appointment in 1956. Any appointments made in this fashion expire at the end of the next Senate session. So a Garland appointment on January 3 would last until December 2017, the end of the first session of the 115th Congress.

Why January 3? Because the president's recess appointment powers were significantly constrained by a 2014 Supreme Court ruling. In a 9-0 decision in National Labor Relations Board v. Noel Canning, the Court said the president cannot appoint individuals to fill vacancies if the Senate holds "pro forma" sessions every three days. Though these sessions, common since 2011, merely gavel in and gavel out the Senate chamber, they have the practical effect of keeping the Senate active, therefore blocking the recess appointment power.

But even the Court's most conservative members acknowledged that a president can make recess appointments during "inter-session" recesses—such as the break between the first and second year of a Congress, or the break between outgoing or incoming Congresses. There simply has to be an end point there, as a metaphysical matter. Theodore Roosevelt once used a short inter-session recess to make hundreds of appointments.
From NewRepublic. There was absolutely a way for Obama to make an appointment. He chose not to because decorum and all that. And yeah, I have been plugged into politics since 2004 and over time my cynicism grew over democrats wanting to play by the rules, while gop abuse them whenever given the chance.

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this court and this country. The obsession with taking people's rights away under the guise of reverting all authority to the states is sickening and a gallingly intentional misread of the constitution in service of blanketing the country with as much conservative regression as possible as quickly as possible. Progress, equality, and the will of the people be damned.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The GoP are a horror show of motivated monsters and the Dems are feckless and more interested in corralling the progressives than anything else. The cynic in me thinks a ton of establishment Dems are rubbing thier hands together at this ruling because of how much money they can raise off it.

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck this, fuck religion, fuck republicans, fuck trump, and fuck this country. The end of the empire.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
But the vote margin is close enough for there to at least be some hope that the state can be flipped.

There is no hope for people in places like Arkansas, such as my family and I.
No the margin is not close at all at the state level. It's not even really that close in federal elections

Oct 27, 2017
Banning abortion never actually bans abortions. It just bans safe abortions. And everybody knows it.

America, you all need to take this to the streets.
Specifically for those who can't afford to fly somewhere to get it done. I guarantee every single one of these conservatives that supported this ban would try to obtain an abortion if their teenage daughter got pregnant.

Teusery

May 18, 2022
If you're anything but a straight white male it's clearly fight or flight time in the U.S.

"If [Hillary] gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people—maybe there is, I don't know..." -Donald Trump, 8/9/2016

Tryphosa

Dec 22, 2020
What is with all the infighting that's what got us in this mess, now is the time to unify and take control back.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if they lose the next presidential election, I could see someone taking a shot at Biden or more likely Kamala, especially since a lot conspiracy theorists tbelieve she's only there to take power after Biden dies, also being black and a woman she gets even more hate than he does.
I'm talking about assassination attempts on Republicans.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Question for people who might know better: I know this does not help people who don't have the means to do this but is it legal for someone in one of the states where this is banned to travel to a state where it is legal to get an abortion?

Unfortunately it depends on the state. I believe in Tennessee it's illegal to do so, for example.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
The decision doesn't exist in a bubble. It's further evidence of the system that we use to govern our country being illegitimate and unrepresentative of its people. We do not live in a democracy that accurately reflects the will of its people. If millions of people can be overruled by, as you say, 80,000 in 3 states, and that single action then cascades into hundreds of millions of people losing their rights in a way they did not expressly vote for, then it's not a system that should be maintained.

What is your actionable plan for changing this, beyond posting "JuSt VoTe"?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
what has siding with democrats achieved beyond broken promises, eternal consternation, and mitigated losses? tearing down democrats has at least, to some degree, proven successful in raising awareness and acceptance of other, more progressive forms of political philosophy, and that has been by far more productive than siding with a bunch of spineless cowards on anything but the mitigation of evil.

Id argue that acceptance doesn't translate to actual political impact. Local sure, but only so much can be done local.

Like no one wants to admit this because we've all been brainwashed, but perhaps keeping America to 'diet evil' is the best you can hope for. It was an aparthied state for most of its existence with majority support. We are by any and all metrics, the baddies

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
I keep hearing they are also trying to repeal the voting rights act of 1965. So let me get this straight. They integrated my people and segregation is no longer a thing. The end result of that is black business is almost none existent when even in the 60's black people had infrastructure like owning city bus companies. In 2022 we hardly have barbershops. It's like they integrated us just to take our wealth and now they going back to they bullshit with voting, no more interracial marriage either is what I keep hearing they are working on.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
If circumstances turn out right for me in the coming months, I will be starting to process to move out of this country permanently in a few years. I need to live in a country that exists in the same century as I do.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I'm honestly not going to stay in the country if things regress further. Somehow, some way.

I'm a relatively wealthy, cis-, straight, neurotypical white male. I think I'll stick around and do my best to improve the situation for those less fortunate and those that cannot flee.

No shame to you or others that bail, but those of us that can stick around should do so and do the best we can to fix things, even if it's just at a local level.