• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people did. The Dems have all three branches. Nothing changes. I'll always check a box but it feels ceremonial at best. Republicans win even when they lose.
All three branches? What the hell do you think the Supreme Court is? Republicans control the SCOTUS because of 2016 and will for years

I don't get why people keep bringing up 2016. If you think it all went to shit in 2016, you probably haven't been paying attention.

Because 3 of the 6 appointees could've been Hillary's

lennylightspeed

Prophet of Truth
Jul 21, 2019
Thanks for not voting or voting for a 3rd party in 2016, jackasses.

I know everyone is upset, but I really can't see this having been the 'make or break' in this situation. After all the delaying on Obama's pick and rushing Trump's nominations it seems like it was going to happen one way or another. I know there isn't much they can do, but there needs to be strong focus from the Biden administration and democrats surrounding this or I do fear people will stop turning out to vote if it feels helpless.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
What a sad fucking day for this country that continues to go backwards/regress. It so fucking frustrating and tiring.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
If there's one tiny sliver of hope in this decision it's this: overturning abortion has been one of, if not the primary, animating force of the evangelical right in this country for decades. With Roe overturned, maybe enough of them will fuck off from politics to have a tangible effect on future elections at the state level, where this fight now has to be waged. That's all I've got to hang my hat on, anyway.
Nah, now they'll want it banned for all states and get rid of same-sex marriage and relationships.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Fucking pieces of shit, not from the US but feel sorry for all the people affected by these cunts' decisions.

This is just infuriating and while I don't understand US politics I imagine that there isn't much to do against it, although it's never bad to protest I guess, fucking hell.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If there's one tiny sliver of hope in this decision it's this: overturning abortion has been one of, if not the primary, animating force of the evangelical right in this country for decades. With Roe overturned, maybe enough of them will fuck off from politics to have a tangible effect on future elections at the state level, where this fight now has to be waged. That's all I've got to hang my hat on, anyway.

It won't. Expect a big shift to massive target now to be painted on the back of transgender people (As if they weren't already in serious danger), then anyone who classes themselves as any form of LGBT once that foot is in the door, then god knows what, but it's going to be a fucking disaster.

May 25, 2019
London
A lot of people did. The Dems have all three branches. Nothing changes. I'll always check a box but it feels ceremonial at best. Republicans win even when they lose.

Not enough people did in 2016. You have to vote in every election, even when the candidates aren't your preferred choices. I still see too many people on here doing purity tests

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
There is a straight line one can draw from protest voting like for Nader in 2000 and Stein in 2016 (and the movements, with proponents of doing so like Susan Sarandon and so on) to allowing this to happen, let alone the massive passive movement that rationalizes 'both sides are the same' and intentionally abstaining, and this.

I get that this fact drives some people angry, I really do. But it is true.

Both sides are not the same, at all. Additional Democratic presidents, where the number of them match the actual desires of the populace, would not have allowed the courts to shift like this. This isn't possible in the absence of informed (including understanding EC and FPTP and what that means for third parties) and engaged citizenry at the ballot box.

No one gets angry at that. People get angry because you don't know what you're talking about, and this has been explained to you across multiple threads and multiple times.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Calling for violence
I won't. The time for violence is now.

Probably time to take advantage of our lax gun laws. I don't think protesting is going to do anything. I'll probably catch a ban for this but, honestly, no republican mind has ever been changed by a march and a sign.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, now they're coming for the LGBTQ community, and doing whatever they can to make sure women are forced to have babies. I'm not so sure they wouldn't come for interracial marriage now either.

I'm not blaming Dems at all, but now would be a perfect opportunity to do everything they can to get the word out about how important voting in the mid-terms is. Because this is just the start of the avalanche of rights being taken away from anyone that's not a straight, white, Christian male.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
All three branches? What the hell do you think the Supreme Court is? Republicans control the SCOTUS because of 2016 and will for years

Because 3 of the 6 appointees could've been Hillary's
They would not have been. Mitch would've stalled the whole thing. He was doing it already. Mitch changed the game. For the worse. GOP doesn't care about playing fair. Trump is crass, but the GOP has been playing this way since Gingrinch.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
This decision will empower conservative movements all over the world, overturning decades of battles and victories to protect everyone's rights. It's basically Star Wars IX applied to the real world.
People marching on the streets might not be enough to show this Supreme Court that they're going towards the opposite direction of History. But it's a start.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually beginning to think they might punt this till after the midterms. You know, just to make it clear that the Court is nakedly political.

Oct 27, 2017
We need people in the streets shutting down all activity, especially government, for weeks after this. Impossible to ignore demonstrations. We need to tell them we won't stand for this but we will forget it by July 4th sadly

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Direct result of 2016's vote.
You mean the one where the winner didn't get more votes? Because we have an inherently undemocratic method of government? Clearly my vote in Connecticut didn't do anything despite returning an entire slate of Democratic representatives and electors at every stage

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
User Banned (1 Month): Calling for violence
Probably time to take advantage of our lax gun laws. I don't think protesting is going to do anything. I'll probably catch a ban for this but, honestly, no republican mind has ever been changed by a march and a sign.
I agree with you. The time to be nice has ended. The evil people in power need to be shown the consequences of their actions.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
If the senate had a spine they would enact legislation but that ain't happening

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This decision will empower conservative movements all over the world, overturning decades of battles and victories to protect everyone's rights. It's basically Star Wars IX applied to the real world.
People marching on the streets might not be enough to show this Supreme Court that they're going towards the opposite direction of History. But it's a start.

we're beyond the need to just march and complain at this point but a lot of people will still be too comfortable going forward to agree

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Trump and his voters set this country back for an entire generation. I wish them nothing but misery.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Elections obviously has consequences, but we need to have a conversation as to why an institution like the Supreme Court can overthrow the will of the people so easily in the first place and why other branches of the government are seemingly powerless against it.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
This is the inevitable result of American neoliberalism. Continually concede on every issue and never use power when it available. Slaves to capital. The Democratic Party is an absolute embarrassment. Burn it all down
This happened because republican voters voted in lockstep for decades and they were able to continually chip away at their goals. "Neoliberals" aren't pushing this insanity. Blame the actual people doing this shit for once.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
We literally are no different than countries like Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia. Just radicalism under a different name.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

it's only going to get worse.

Yup. The right-wing has tasted blood and flesh and they crave more. They'll toss these out, they'll toss affirmative action out, they'll restrict whatever constitutes "CRT" in education, they'll loosen labor laws. And then they'll just keep going from there. They'll always find something else, and if it doesn't exist they'll make something up.

The downward spiral is unprecedented and because of it most Americans won't see it coming. Godspeed to the rest of y'all.