• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Lazy Americans doomposting when they don't do anything but vote in the first place hilarious

Local politics are important, which is the most realistic form of social engagement most, but how exactly does that have any semblance of relevance to an issue that's the result of a presidential and statewide elections?

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
Bringing up voting as the only solution in response to news about how systematically diluting votes will be treated as legal going forward is... something.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just another in the long line of examples why Roberts' decision to kill VRA will go down as one of the worst decisions in the court's history. His mistake years ago means that his vote doesn't even matter anymore on this issue

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Bringing up voting as the only solution in response to news about how systematically diluting votes will be treated as legal going forward is... something.
Nobody said it was the only solution. Why don't you bring up another one that's achievable also?

If anyone's waiting on a revolution by the complacent white moderates that will somehow make this country care for minority voting rights... they're gonna wait for a long time.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
November 2020. (If we can hold it)
In my home country of El Salvador, an explicit populist fascist also lost an election in a tight runoff.
Bolivia was able to avoid a fascist takeover and force new elections.

November 2020 didn't stop fascism in the US. I live in Texas and can tell you, it's alive and well.

Weren't the people of Bolivia in the streets with massive protests and blockades? This is not voting out fascism.

In this case, voting is all there is. What do you think there is? You vote and make sure Republicans don't win. Because this country is by and large blind to the rise of fascism. Near half the country likely sees Democrats as in fact the fascists. There won't be protests, or riots. There will be Republicans dismantling the system from the inside and SC rulings. The only two people that could have stopped this ruling were two Democratic senators that are against nuking the filibuster. If we have one or two more Blue senators, this might not have happened. I mean, nevermind the 2016 election allowing Trump to pick 3 White extremists to the SC.

There's plenty to do including mutual aid, organizing, civil disobedience, etc. People may not do this but it gets change to happen. Simply voting is not nearly enough and not the only thing one can do. Abortion funds in Texas are still running despite the threat of lawsuits. The people that run them didn't say "Well, we'll just wait until we can vote in the next local election."

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Court made up of mostly white, old people upholds racist redistricting.

Shocker.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
November 2020 didn't stop fascism in the US. I live in Texas and can tell you, it's alive and well.

Weren't the people of Bolivia in the streets with massive protests and blockades? This is not voting out fascism.

There's plenty to do including mutual aid, organizing, civil disobedience, etc. People may not do this but it gets change to happen. Simply voting is not nearly enough and not the only thing one can do. Abortion funds in Texas are still running despite the threat of lawsuits. The people that run them didn't say "Well, we'll just wait until we can vote in the next local election."
Outside of people like us in this forum, again, the country seems blind to it, like they are in a daze. It's going to take things drastically changing for the worse before they wake up, it needs to start effecting their lives, and not, well mostly, vulnerable people and Minorities, let's be honest.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Outside of people like us in this forum, again, the country seems blind to it, like they are in a daze. It's going to take things drastically changing for the worse before they wake up, it needs to start effecting their lives, and not, well mostly, vulnerable people and Minorities, let's be honest.

Agreed. That's why one organizes and helps those vulnerable people through whatever means one can.

Vote, by all means. But if I don't vote in the midterms, nothing will play out differently in my state.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017

What they accomplished with those protests was a new election. Again, I didn't say that voting was the only thing, but any road to recovery leads through elections.

These things are happening; they're just not breaking through massively.

I think what's most needed is better PR if we're being honest. The fact that this country is sleepwalking into fascism but the masses don't seem to get it is infuriating.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

Yeah, the unfortunate truth is that I can see the American public being comfortable with an authoritarian regime for a long, long time so long as it keeps up a meager front of "respectability." Even the people in my life who should know better roll their eyes when I say democracy is in trouble. They genuinely think we're fine (or at least far from a crisis point, anyway).

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
Nobody said it was the only solution.

In this case, voting is all there is. What do you think there is? You vote and make sure Republicans don't win. Because this country is by and large blind to the rise of fascism. Near half the country likely sees Democrats as in fact the fascists. There won't be protests, or riots. There will be Republicans dismantling the system from the inside and SC rulings. The only two people that could have stopped this ruling were two Democratic senators that are against nuking the filibuster. If we have one or two more Blue senators, this might not have happened. I mean, nevermind the 2016 election allowing Trump to pick 3 White extremists to the SC.

Why don't you bring up another one that's achievable also?

If anyone's waiting on a revolution by the complacent white moderates that will somehow make this country care for minority voting rights... they're gonna wait for a long time.

Not gonna bother with this one because you're just assuming intent that isn't there.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Not gonna bother with this one because you're just assuming intent that isn't there.
Actually, what I said was, all people can do is vote, AND that it probably won't be enough. Part of the reason for that, is the very reason you said, Republicans are taking away Democratic votes.

I was more pointing out the grimm reality of the situation than saying "hey vote! We can fix this!"

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
What they accomplished with those protests was a new election. Again, I didn't say that voting was the only thing, but any road to recovery leads through elections.

These things are happening; they're just not breaking through massively.

I think what's most needed is better PR if we're being honest. The fact that this country is sleepwalking into fascism but the masses don't seem to get it is infuriating.

The agitation was needed to get the new election. Voting didn't stop fascism in that case. What stopped the fascist takeover was being in the streets. The people in the streets allowed the voting to happen.

I know they are happening. I participate in them. We've seen a good uptick in people helping each other through mutual aid in my community due to organizing. I'll vote because, for me, it's easy enough but I know nothing will immediately change because of it. My efforts outside of the voting process is where I focus my energy because I know it will help people's material conditions right now. Voting isn't going to help the people in my community that need abortions now. But my efforts with abortion funds do and it's worth risking lawsuits.

Oct 25, 2017
There are 2 republicans in the SC that are old and may die in office.
Wake me when Biden actually gets a nominee through. Alito isn't remotely that old, the guy is 70 not 80. Sotomayor is basically 70 now. SCOTUS has three justices under 55 and they are all Republicans.

The court will be solidly conservative for the rest of my life. I highly doubt Biden will win reelection.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Republicans already made it so they can't really lose close federal elections, and if Democrats do nothing about voting rights they will make it so they can't win elections at all.

Weird take in a thread about government fucking over black voters. Again.
But if you don't blame voters you might have to blame politicians, and we can't have that.
Accountability? In this economy?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Her entire legacy is tarnished by her hubris IMO. People can yasssify her all they wan't but I can't think of her without thinking of her selfishness.
Exactly!! For me, her legacy is not retiring when she should have and looking at this SC. Take one for the team because millions of people are on it and we are going to suffer.
that is where I am at as well cause that really f'ed up the SC
We are screwed and people that put her on a pedestal should really understand the magnitude of her stubbornness.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Voters vote for one Presidential candidate by the millions, and that candidate loses. Voters come out in record terms in a midterm to deliver the House to Democrats after a decade of being the minority. Voters come out in record numbers to swing an election, including turning two red states blue. Voters come out in record numbers to win two special elections in Georgia, a traditionally red state, to give Democrats a trifecta in the national government.

If only voters did more.

It's like watching someone burn themselves drinking a cup of coffee and thinking, "Damn, that was hot as fuck. If only this cup was a different color."

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Exactly!! For me, her legacy is not retiring when she should have and looking at this SC. Take one for the team because millions of people are on it and we are going to suffer.

We are screwed and people that put her on a pedestal should really understand the magnitude of her stubbornness.
I agree completely, and it just makes me sad. She used to be my hero, and now, I can't even think about her. Her hubris led to the situation we are in. She was very vulnerable with her age and health problems, and she was also in the middle of a damn pandemic that wrecks people her age.

Anyway, like I said, it makes me sad and I don't like to think about it.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

And why not?

Because of this decision the most consistent left voting demographic is about to be even further disenfranchised. And why? So that largely white Republicans and largely people (including "leftists") who just want to cheer at the demise of Democrats while not doing their civic duty their damn selves can gloat?

Black people vote Dem/Left, overwhelmingly.

Black voters are getting screwed by this.

While our allies shit on Southern States and "lazy voters"...again.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Another banger from this SCOTUS, that 2016 bell is still tolling sheesh. What could've been.

Hoping we batten down the hatches over the next few years and just do better. There's not just one answer -- will take cooperation on many fronts to right these wrongs within the rule of law. Hopefully that sticks around and gets healthier too because my goodness, it's been ugly lately.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
SOCTUS took this case pretty fast . They wanted to make sure Republicans kept the advantage.

From the looks of this thread the GOP's voter suppression efforts are working. Getting people to give up on trying is what they want.

That's the lesson I took from older generations anyway. These voter suppression tactics are weak compared to the stories I heard. So far no one is getting beaten or killed for voting. That can change pretty fast depending on how the next few elections go.

Diluting our votes or not counting them isn't new. It's straight bs that we're still dealing with this crap though.

I agree that voting alone doesn't change things. History is clear on that, but they wouldn't invest so much time and money in suppressing votes if voting didn't matter.

I am tired, 2016 was such a important year and people just fucked around and unfortunately everyone now has to find out

Republicans winning so many state elections in 2008 and onwards really screwed the country too.

Not to mention congress swinging back to the GOP because the ACA and everything else Dems did wasn't perfect.

That history is about repeat again.

Oct 29, 2017
Of course, it's always the voter's fault. The system is perfect, it can never be reformed

It's not really one or the other. We need to reform the system and we need people to vote.

But I'll tell you one thing for sure: sitting out of voting does literally nothing to reform anything. It doesn't actually send the message people think it does, because some (maybe lots) of people in power are totally okay with people staying home on voting day.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Roberts joined the liberals. Yet he started this. I wonder if he feels bad about some of his past rulings.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
It's not really one or the other. We need to reform the system and we need people to vote.

But I'll tell you one thing for sure: sitting out of voting does literally nothing to reform anything. It doesn't actually send the message people think it does, because some (maybe lots) of people in power are totally okay with people staying home on voting day.

It's not necessarily about sending a message. Many people struggling are just tired of their vote not affecting their material conditions. I see it often. It's not so much "This will show them!" it's more "What's the point when promises aren't kept?".

I agree that voting alone doesn't change things. History is clear on that, but they wouldn't invest so much time and money in suppressing votes if voting didn't matter.

They invest far more time and money on continuing the police state because they know the real power is people coming together.

For some of us, voting doesn't matter.

Oct 29, 2017
It's not necessarily about sending a message. Many people struggling are just tired of their vote not affecting their material conditions. I see it often. It's not so much "This will show them!" it's more "What's the point when promises aren't kept?".

They invest far more time and money on continuing the police state because they know the real power is people coming together.

For some of us, voting doesn't matter.

We're all tired. We all wish more promises were kept. But not voting does nothing. I'm not going to insult people who feel their vote doesn't matter, but I will always plead for people to get out and vote regardless. Doing nothing does nothing.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
Agreed. That's why one organizes and helps those vulnerable people through whatever means one can.

Vote, by all means. But if I don't vote in the midterms, nothing will play out differently in my state.

That's the spirit. Hopefully everyone thinks like you.

And in case it's necessary: /s

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
We're all tired. We all wish more promises were kept. But not voting does nothing. I'm not going to insult people who feel their vote doesn't matter, but I will always plead for people to get out and vote regardless. Doing nothing does nothing.

I think that's a good attitude. I don't think admonishment is going to do anything. I don't have any problem with people getting others out to vote. By all means.

Not voting is not inherently doing nothing, however.

That's the spirit. Hopefully everyone thinks like you.

And in case it's necessary: /s

Helping vulnerable people in my community while voting even if I think it doesn't matter in my case is a bad thing?

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
He was actually the one dissenting conservative this time.

He joined in on the dissent here actually.
It's kinda surprising it was him and not Thomas considering he's joined in on striking down racial gerrymandering before though this decision to put a stay in place would make this map be the one for November 2022.

He may have dissented in this specific case, but I was referring more to the gutting of the VRA itself as his legacy. Rulings such as this one are a pretty direct result of his previous votes against protecting voting rights.

(Quick edit for wording 'cause phone typing sucks)

Last edited: