• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nhlducks35

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/07/politics/supreme-court-alabama/index.html

(CNN)The Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision, allowed a congressional map drawn by Alabama Republicans to remain in place Monday, freezing a lower court ruling that said the map likely violates the Voting Rights Act.

The court's order, the first dealing with the 2022 elections, means that the map will be used for the state's upcoming primary, and likely be in place for the entire election cycle, while the legal challenge plays out.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am tired, 2016 was such a important year and people just fucked around and unfortunately everyone now has to find out

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
This is so fucked up, Alabama is a proving ground for all kinds of horrific conservative innovations, so I'm sure this will be regressive and arbitrary

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
Hello yes, I'm here for the "leftists don't vote" strawman?

Ah excellent, glad to see it's already here.

Trey2Deebo

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2022
I don't think people in this country truly appreciate that it's going to take 40-50 years to undo some of the damage from the last 5 years

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hello yes, I'm here for the "leftists don't vote" strawman?

Ah excellent, glad to see it's already here.

You're late - but there's still some refreshments over there.

I am tired, 2016 was such a important year and people just fucked around and unfortunately everyone now has to find out

For real - but based on the past 5 years, it honestly feels like it was inevitable. This pandemic has been eye opening to see just how deep the crazy goes.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Evil finds a way. Should I just be evil? Seems fun to win most of the time. Captain America wouldn't come for my ass. I'll have to mull this over.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Weird take in a thread fucking over black voters.
Was responding to the comment saying how massively important the 2016 election was; and how key the 2022 midterms will be. I don't think there's any excuse to sit out this election (except maybe that you're leaning to vote R); but I've read an alarming number of takes that if Joe Biden doesn't forgive student debt, they'll sit out the midterms. I think that would be as fatal a mistake as sitting out 2016 because "I just can't get excited about Hillary," because the choices are between a corporatist party and fascists.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Well this thread's already a shit show. How about we place the blame on the Republicans who did it and not leftists or what Biden said about some other state's senator?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I mean you can burn it down, but America probably has to go through fascism and a dictator before you get to the other side.
Yeah I mean the harsh reality is, all we can do is vote. If American voters decide they want to fascism, then that is what is going to happen. It's up to its people if we remain a Democracy and frankly, I don't think the country does want a Democracy, they mostly just want White privilege and White preference to remain as strong as it once was. We have lost our way.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna be old and gray by the time some of Trump's picks shuffle off the courts. I hope something changes before that time, the current cycle of inaction from the legislative and executive branches are just going to inflict untold amounts of damage with the judiciary captured and acting as it currently is.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissal of disenfranchisement of a minority group
Lazy Americans doomposting when they don't do anything but vote in the first place hilarious

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, the only hope is we don't lose the White House in the next decade and pick up Thomas' seat. Otherwise, meh.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Well this thread's already a shit show. How about we place the blame on the Republicans who did it and not leftists or what Biden said about some other state's senator?

I agree that the infighting is not the most productive. However, I don't think there's anyone on this forum that isn't clear-eyed that Republicans are enforcing racist policies and that they are a proto-fascist (at least, I think you can drop the proto-) party.

We can blame Republicans until we're blue in the face, but ultimately the solution isn't gonna come from them, but from people opposed to fascism to join up and vote for Democracy.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
It was too much even for the guy who voted to gut the VRA to begin with.

Yeah I mean the harsh reality is, all we can do is vote. If American voters decide they want to fascism, then that is what is going to happen. It's up to its people if we remain a Democracy and frankly, I don't think the country does want a Democracy, they mostly just want White privilege and White preference to remain as strong as it once was. We have lost our way.

I don't agree. In fact, fascism isn't stopped by voting. Most of the large positive change in the country came from actions outside of voting.

I agree that the infighting is not the most productive. However, I don't think there's anyone on this forum that isn't clear-eyed that Republicans are enforcing racist policies and that they are a proto-fascist (at least, I think you can drop the proto-) party.

We can blame Republicans until we're blue in the face, but ultimately the solution isn't gonna come from them, but from people opposed to fascism to join up and vote for Democracy.

When has voting stopped fascism?

May 26, 2018

I don't agree. In fact, fascism isn't stopped by voting. Most of the large positive change in the country came from actions outside of voting.

far as I can tell America already decided they wanted to trash democracy and it's been spiraling down the last 5 years since

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
November 2020. (If we can hold it)
In my home country of El Salvador, an explicit populist fascist also lost an election in a tight runoff.
Bolivia was able to avoid a fascist takeover and force new elections.

RBG should have retired when they were asking her to. It's going to hurt for a long time.

Her entire legacy is tarnished by her hubris IMO. People can yasssify her all they wan't but I can't think of her without thinking of her selfishness.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

In this case, voting is all there is. What do you think there is? You vote and make sure Republicans don't win. Because this country is by and large blind to the rise of fascism. Near half the country likely sees Democrats as in fact the fascists. There won't be protests, or riots. There will be Republicans dismantling the system from the inside and SC rulings. The only two people that could have stopped this ruling were two Democratic senators that are against nuking the filibuster. If we have one or two more Blue senators, this might not have happened. I mean, nevermind the 2016 election allowing Trump to pick 3 White extremists to the SC.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Racists/fascists. I hope we get to a point in the future where this court is viewed with the contempt it deserves. If we even make it there.

I really hope when push comes to shove, we don't just take this.