• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Democrats controlled the Senate until January of 2015, so they could have replaced RBG at any time if she had decided to step down. As for the Scalia replacement, there's a lot of argument as to what could have been done and if they technically had a path forward, but the honest assessment of it is that they definitely didn't make a big enough deal about it and Dems kind of rested on the idea that Clinton would coast to victory.

The idea that overturning Roe v Wade will suddenly energize Democratic turnout to course correct seems like bullshit. Like, Abortion rights are already a big deal to a lot of already heavily Blue states like California, New York, Illinois, and Massachusettes... but in a lot of more Conservative places this isn't going to suddenly energize some anti-GOP Revolution. The voters in those states, especially the swing-y suburbs of Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Pennsylvania, etc. have made it abundantly clear that this isn't a priority for them compared to economic interests and a sense of normalcy that they crave. It's not like Texas has really seen long lasting meaningful push back within the state on their law even if there have been some demonstrations.

America is a Right leaning country marching further and further right as of recently, and the fact of the matter is the Conservative voting blocks of older individuals that can swing states just blatantly don't care and are more likely to be pulled in by propaganda and religious beliefs. And worse yet, the Senate is designed in such a way to give Conservatives more power, and the Senate controls the Supreme Court, which several Democratic Senators aren't gonna be in favor of packing even when they overturn Roe v Wade. You'd need 50 votes to pack the court, of which we might have around 40-ish now if we assume the best case scenario, and it's considered a nuclear option that is risky for incumbents so the reality is probably even worse. You need to get what, a Democratic supermajority in the Senate to have a chance of making this work. Otherwise, you're then hoping Democrats hold on to the Senate long enough to replace Breyer and then stalling until Thomas or Roberts dies since they are now the oldest (Trump's appointees are all extremely young and will be on the court for 30+ years).

It's going to be almost structurally impossible to overturn anything the Supreme Court does for the next 10 years or so, and that's exactly why Conservatives have done everything they have for the past 5 years with regards to the courts.

The Court has become a great way for a minority party to move forward its agenda, in this case muck up or reverse progress. Although to be fair, in the past it has also been a tool to implement or protect progress. If only Congress would do its job and legislate, much of the Court's power would be diminished.

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Would McConnell have been able to steal RBG seat if she did retire back then, also did the Obama admin really have to accept the shit McConnell was doing or was it too stickler for the rules?

The Democrats controlled the Senate under Obama until 2015. She could have retired at any point from 2009-2015 and Obama could have replaced her with another Democrat.

Tristam

Oct 25, 2017
It's still amazing to me that people blame voters, or non-voters, for Hillary's loss in 2016.

Hillary ran a shitty, haughty campaign that assumed a win based on identity politics and association with Barack Obama, a president who spent the better part of 8 years betraying the working class and contributing to their defection to non-Democrats out of desperation, apathy, or both. A defection that has been ongoing for decades.

I'm not saying Republicans are the party of the working class, but class dealignment has been in the cards for a while now and Democrats have seemingly been chill with it, based on their actions.

Democrats have, at the very least, been an impartial witness to the decay of US democracy. At worst, they actively participate in it because they're beholden to their donors and can't see past their own lives.

Trump ran a campaign far more centered on identity politics than Hillary did.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Red States = Ban

Blue States = Legal

Abortion will be state to state. As will most policies moving forward. I expect the Supreme Court will only make federal rulings that relate to the most general, basic Constitutional outline. Everything else will be detailed state to state and it will all be very politically motivated.

Be prepared to pack up and move to a state that observes your beliefs or non-beliefs, and hope it sticks to them.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
How likely is it that states make laws that say, "you can't travel to another state to have an abortion" and have it stick?

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Special shout out to:
  1. The Dems who couldn't figure out how to motivate people to vote for Hillary despite the other candidate being a demonstrable, flaming racist, sociopath, misogynist, and habitual liar.
  2. Hillary for running a mediocre campaign that failed to turn out the vote in her favor and under-estimating Trump
  3. Comey for his *very important* Benghazi investigation in the final hours of the campaign season
  4. The voters for not showing up to destroy Trump, who had already demonstrated what kind of leader he would be should he win office
  5. The media for leading people to believe that Trump was a clown with no chance of winning so don't worry about him
  6. Facebook because FUCK Facebook and its platform of hate and misinformation tolerance
  7. RBG for being too fucking arrogant to retire @ 80 when Obama was there and a successor half her age with her same views could have been put in the position to save at least one seat from R invasion for the next 2-3 decades at least.

Really not trying to be a doom poster here but I have to agree, as much as I don't want to, as a democrat it is hard not to see the weakening of the Democratic Party to the point that while we look great and have made significant progresses, we need stronger leadership. We can't have one strong candidate every generation, we need many that compete but also work together.

As vile and backstabbing as the opposition is, at least their nutty supporters have confidence and a variety of leaders to look up to and support.

Then again, maybe it's on us for not supporting the right ones, putting too much support behind weaker ones (like Biden), and not lifting up those non-traditional ones who have a chance to strengthen the party.

edit:

Naw, it's the best time in history to raise a daughter in America.

Look, I get the regression of losing abortion rights in red states is depressing as fuck…but this doesn't invalidate everything that came before it.

Trust me, if you could choose to have your daughter grow up in the 70's or 80's or 90's or 00's or 10's or 20's…any reasonable person would choose the 2020's (I won't even bother suggesting you want might want to raise a daughter in a pre-feminist movement US…lol)

Just the glass ceilings and the rampant and widespread acceptance/blind ignorance of sexual assault/harassment alone should keep you from wanting to raise females in previous decades.

You would rather raise a daughter in a post me-too/times up world. You would rather raise a daughter in a time where the disparity of wages is the least it's ever been. You would rather raise her during the time of the most female representation in congress ever. Most women serving as US governors ever. First female Vice President ever. Followed next in power by a sitting female Speaker of the House. Most women running businesses and corporations than ever. More women going to college than ever.

I could go on and on.

This is the best time for a girl to be living in the US right now

despite the real possibility of Roe being dismantled, it will be relatively temporary. This country is in a completely different place progressively when it comes to women than in the 60's. It's not going to be the same battle to get those rights back. There will be a reckoning when/if it's overturned.

I had other people being reactionary and blindly saying something similar as you in the other thread…you aren't alone in that feeling. But you are wrong. Don't let the slips of regression have you believe we've completely reverted back to the worst it's ever been for women. Simply not true. Doesn't work that way.

Jesus, this is a good fucking post and I agree completely. You actually made me a bit more encouraged than I was when I posted the top response.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How likely is it that states make laws that say, "you can't travel to another state to have an abortion" and have it stick?

Republicans are the biggest hypocrites around, they do and will get abortions so I'm sure there will be some wiggle or maybe just abortion for people who can pay the big bucks.

Oct 27, 2017
Red States = Ban

Blue States = Legal

Abortion will be state to state. As will most policies moving forward. I expect the Supreme Court will only make federal rulings that relate to the most general, basic Constitutional outline. Everything else will be detailed state to state and it will all be very politically motivated.

Be prepared to pack up and move to a state that observes your beliefs or non-beliefs, and hope it sticks to them.

I think this (the move back to stronger state rights) will only accelerate the dissolution/breakup of the USA in the near-to-mid future. I think the only reason most Americans can't see this as the obvious outcome is because they are so used to the chaos from the inside and don't comprehend how normal western democracies run.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Travel? Unlikely. But they sure can regulate commercial speech that penetrates their borders and possibly criminalize that conduct. That seems inevitable, just like attacking contraception, beginning with stiff regulations on the morning after pill.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Democrats for being so ineffective overall. Such a god damn shame we need to pick between those useless hacks or the fascists.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
I think this (the move back to stronger state rights) will only accelerate the dissolution/breakup of the USA in the near-to-mid future. I think the only reason most Americans can't see this as the obvious outcome is because they are so used to the chaos from the inside and don't comprehend how normal western democracies run.
I've thought for awhile that the civil war the right is agitating for won't happen since there's less money in it than extractive consumerism, but an eventual breakup I think is much more in the cards.

Market control.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
womens rights in this country are a big fucking deal. I think you are too easily dismissing the ramifications of taking away something like that in this day and age.

it's going to be a HUGE deal if Roe is dismantled and states are given the power to start making abortions illegal again. The reaction will be swift and relentless. You watch.

this isn't me being naive. Look I get the machinations of women rights to their body being reinstated federally through legislations or courts might take a few years…but it will happen. It won't take 90 years like last time, but it will a few. Until it does, every election will be ABOUT that. The push from women and independents and moderates and liberals will be motivated to vote in every election and down ballot vote every person running on putting those rights back

only ~15% of Americans feel abortions should be completely illegal. When the results of these shenanigans prove to effectively make abortions illegal in some states, it will be corrected.

Conservatives have been fighting Roe vs Wade for so long, they forgot the war ended. They are like that Japanese soldier on an island in the 50's who thought he was still fighting for the Empire. They think they can just revert this to the 60's. They can't. I don't think they realize how much this is going to backfire for them.

I think the thing to remember is where the reaction will be swift and relentless and that will be in states that will allow abortion. Tons of women in red states don't agree with abortion and that's where it will be outlawed.

15% may think it should be completely illegal but many more are okay with it being illegal if there are medical emergency and rape exceptions.

Like Texas has effectively outlawed abortion. There wasn't some giant reaction in the state. There wasn't a huge reaction when TRAP laws closed most abortion clinics in the state. There hasn't been sustained marching in the streets. Mississippi, where the law they are looking to keep comes from, has one abortion clinic with one doctor allowed to perform abortions. It's already been all but outlawed there.

I don't think the reaction will be as huge as people think in states that will be affected most.

It doesn't really matter if it energizes Democrats, that is meaningless unless you can give a path to how you're going to overcome a Supreme Court decision and a majority right wing judicial branch. Even if Dems can get a supermajority and pass abortion laws, the courts are going to strike it down again just like they are about to Wade vs Roe. What's your blueprint for overcoming that?

Exactly.

I think Dems should pass federal protections for abortion rights, if they are able to, but there's a real possibility that the Supreme Court just tosses it and says "We said only states can decide because... *insert "Textualism" and "Originalism" arguments here*"

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
womens rights in this country are a big fucking deal. I think you are too easily dismissing the ramifications of taking away something like that in this day and age.

it's going to be a HUGE deal if Roe is dismantled and states are given the power to start making abortions illegal again. The reaction will be swift and relentless. You watch.

this isn't me being naive. Look I get the machinations of women rights to their body being reinstated federally through legislations or courts might take a few years…but it will happen. It won't take 90 years like last time, but it will a few. Until it does, every election will be ABOUT that. The push from women and independents and moderates and liberals will be motivated to vote in every election and down ballot vote every person running on putting those rights back

only ~15% of Americans feel abortions should be completely illegal. When the results of these shenanigans prove to effectively make abortions illegal in some states, it will be corrected.

Conservatives have been fighting Roe vs Wade for so long, they forgot the war ended. They are like that Japanese soldier on an island in the 50's who thought he was still fighting for the Empire. They think they can just revert this to the 60's. They can't. I don't think they realize how much this is going to backfire for them.

It doesn't really matter if it energizes Democrats, that is meaningless unless you can give a path to how you're going to overcome a Supreme Court decision and a majority right wing judicial branch. Even if Dems can get a supermajority and pass abortion laws, the courts are going to strike it down again just like they are about to Wade vs Roe. What's your blueprint for overcoming that?

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
Add Obama to this list, for not pressing the issue over the open seat when Scalia died. He - and all the Democrats - assumed it was fine to wait because Hillary would surely win. Which backfired completely when Trump won. And ensured that no Republican-controlled Senate will consider seating Democrat presidents' nominations, ever again.

It was a goddamned Constitutional layup, and they didn't bother, and I'll never understand why.

This 100%.

Obama had, what, 8 months to scream and campaign to get Garland on the bench and, instead, he quietly let that fucker McConnell and the rest of the Senate humiliate him.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

There isn't ever going to be a breakup of the country, at least not in the way you're imagining, for a variety of reasons. It's got nothing to do with 'being used to the chaos,' it's because the financial structure of the country isn't set up for that kind of break down anymore.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
This 100%.

Obama had, what, 8 months to scream and campaign to get Garland on the bench and, instead, he quietly let that fucker McConnell and the rest of the Senate humiliate him.

there was legally not a damn thin Obama could do. The senate makes their rules and well, they had no interest in seating Garland for political reasons.

voting has consequences.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
There isn't even going to be a breakup of the country, at least not in the way you're imagining, for a variety of reasons. It's got nothing to do with 'being used to the chaos,' it's because the financial structure of the country isn't set up for that kind of break down anymore.
It just occurs to me that it's also a game of chicken, the two most likely candidates to want to do it alone are TX and CA, if either of those does leave though it's basically game over for their team in what remains of the country... At least in terms of House, EC and presidency. The senate is a lost cause either way. So there might be an incentive for them to see if the other doesn't want to pull the trigger first...?

Oct 29, 2017
It just occurs to me that it's also a game of chicken, the two most likely candidates to want to do it alone are TX and CA, if either of those does leave though it's basically game over for their team in what remains of the country... At least in terms of House, EC and presidency. The senate is a lost cause either way. So there might be an incentive for them to see if the other doesn't want to pull the trigger first...?

An alternative to this is turning TX blue, which is possible. It'll be hard, but possible. If TX turns blue it's pretty much game over for the GOP and they know it.

But dems will have to continue their ferocity with respects to voter registration, voting rights battles, and actually getting their constituents out to vote.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
An alternative to this is turning TX blue, which is possible. It'll be hard, but possible. If TX turns blue it's pretty much game over for the GOP and they know it.

But dems will have to continue their ferocity with respects to voter registration, voting rights battles, and actually getting their constituents out to vote.

I don't see Texas turning blue anytime soon, much less purple. I don't know if the flipping of a State Senate seat here that has been historically held by Dems to the GOP is foreshadowing the midterms but I hope not.

Eventually? Maybe. But soon? I don't think so.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Even if one of them votes to leave, it'll never be allowed. In that scenario, the US Army would most likely be deployed to quash that scenario, regardless of who is President. Because it would be way too much of a financial downfall for the country as a whole.

It's also not realistic at all because even those huge states that provide so much income rely on federal aid and income, no state has their own military and would be sitting ducks to any type of invasion, both have huge amount of resources for federal uses, and both have huge amounts of blue and red populations. So it's never going to happen. The most that will happen is seeing two states potentially fuse together as one, but even that is kind of far-fetched. The structure for how to do these things just aren't there

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Guessing 5-4 with the 5 going to overturn it and leave it to the states to decide. Roberts will try to push some 'compromise' that's actually worse than overturning Roe v Wade.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Bonus on point 5, shoutouts to the DNC for trying to elevate Trump as they felt it would help Hillary's chances

pied-piper-dnc-email.png

there are idiots saying this again for 2024. buckle up

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Special shout out to:
  1. The Dems who couldn't figure out how to motivate people to vote for Hillary despite the other candidate being a demonstrable, flaming racist, sociopath, misogynist, and habitual liar.
  2. Hillary for running a mediocre campaign that failed to turn out the vote in her favor and under-estimating Trump
  3. Comey for his *very important* Benghazi investigation in the final hours of the campaign season
  4. The voters for not showing up to destroy Trump, who had already demonstrated what kind of leader he would be should he win office
  5. The media for leading people to believe that Trump was a clown with no chance of winning so don't worry about him
  6. Facebook because FUCK Facebook and its platform of hate and misinformation tolerance
  7. RBG for being too fucking arrogant to retire @ 80 when Obama was there and a successor half her age with her same views could have been put in the position to save at least one seat from R invasion for the next 2-3 decades at least.
No lies detected

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is rather silly to blame Democratic voters for this outcome. This century, they have delivered Democrats a majority of votes in Presidential elections five out of six times.

Two of those times (2000, 2016) it simply didn't count, due to the way the US political system works (which the voters did not design nor can they change) and the remaining three times (2008, 2012, 2020), the elected Democrats did not do anything to fix the issue despite the fact that the Democratic voters also gave them control of the Senate.

So I don't know if it is right to say the voters are too emotional or whatever, they've simply been failed repeatedly by the system they are told to engage with.

Agree with this whole thread. Democrats in the US (left wing parties all around, really) are just awful at marketing their ideas. It's advertising 101 proven for decades that a problem is always catchier than the solution. And single problem/simple solution works better than selling a muddy political platform (the brand). It's shorter to foster anger, it's tougher to parry and explain. « Hope » and « Change » as a pedestal only works there is a legitimate face attached to it. Clinton was never going to be able to sell that. Biden surely didn't win because of it either. I'd be hard pressed to explain in bullet point format the top 5 points that the Democrats are fighting for.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a woman's right to her own body is going to be gone in this country and millions of vulnerable women who are raped, impregnated, or poor/ignorant about their bodies will be forced to carry an unwanted child inside their abdomens (because republicans are sooooooo for the advancement of adoption/foster care quality in the US, RIGHT?????....) because people obsessed with their warped view of a sky wizard think that a clump of cells has more constitutional rights than living, breathing women. I get that many see a clump of cells as having a "soul" (if you're going to even follow this logic, then boy do I bet you hate fertility medicine, or God himself, because they discard invalid "souls" all the time) but that doesn't mean every tax-paying woman should be forced to go through the most deadly, dangerous, EXPENSIVE physical transformation her body can naturally go through for up to 9 months just so you can feel good about protecting a clump of cells MORE than the life and health of an American that already exists. For fuck's sake; smaller, poorer, less-developed countries including Tunisia have more women's rights than this theocratic idiocracy we call the USA. Being a person with a uterus is about to become the most dangerous common liability you can be born with in the USA. Born a woman? Looks like you're not only at risk of rape in your life (look at the statistics of how many women are sexually assaulted in their lifetimes), but you're also at risk of being forced to carry your rapist's next of kin. "God is good, all the time, and all the time, God is good, AMEN???"

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
At least RBG decided her own vanity was more important than the future of the country. girlboss

I think there is a lot of hindsight is 20/20 there with RBG.

I remember the discourse going on after the 2012 election where many people claimed that Republicans as a national brand were dead in the water. Romney had received some insane percentage of the white vote, was the most centrist candidate that Republicans had, and the man looked like someone who would play the President in a movie. Yet he still lost!

So a commonly held belief was that the demographics had shifted out of the Republicans favor for the foreseeable future. Plus looking at the roster of candidates that the Republicans had at the time - they really didn't have anyone. Rubio or Cruz weren't going to do it and everyone thought Trump was a joke at first.

The least risk adverse move would have been for her to retire but I definitely remember a lot of "she should serve as long as she wants" sentiment.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Look out for lies about how now that the GOP has effectively killed Roe, that they won't have much to campaign on or scare people into voting. As if this massive win will stop them from being regressive and fucking evil. Kinda like how we got here in the first place. 🤔🤔🤔

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Really bothers me Republicans/ Conservative use good progress for their shit parade. "Oh the Supreme Court overruled racism in schooling" yet I bet if these GOP fucking pricks were around back then, they would be for keeping segregation a thing.

These assholes always try to spin the progress that has been made to try to pass their evil shit agenda.

I really wish Dems would fucking throw dirt all the time. Play dirty. "Oh yeah Kavanaugh? I'm sure you would be for segregation, white power and all that racist shit. 2 faced fucker."

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with this whole thread. Democrats in the US (left wing parties all around, really) are just awful at marketing their ideas. It's advertising 101 proven for decades that a problem is always catchier than the solution. And single problem/simple solution works better than selling a muddy political platform (the brand). It's shorter to foster anger, it's tougher to parry and explain. « Hope » and « Change » as a pedestal only works there is a legitimate face attached to it. Clinton was never going to be able to sell that. Biden surely didn't win because of it either. I'd be hard pressed to explain in bullet point format the top 5 points that the Democrats are fighting for.

That's because the democrats don't really stand for much. Most of them are moderate corporatists and career politicians. They're not really progressive.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This 100%.

I mean realistically there was literally nothing he could do. The Senate makes their own rules and no amount of hollering from a President can change that. A Supreme Court seat is one of the ultimate prizes so Republicans would be willing to weather any potential retaliatory measures.

That's because the democrats don't really stand for much. Most of them are moderate corporatists and career politicians. They're not really progressive.

Yes.

Dems have been wholly captured by corporate interests and thus only seek to protect the status quo.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
The Democrats controlled the Senate under Obama until 2015. She could have retired at any point from 2009-2015 and Obama could have replaced her with another Democrat.
False. Democrats had a filibuster proof majority for all of 4 months of Obama's Presidency(from 2009 to 2010) which is when the ACA was passed. Democrats lost the House in 2010 at that. Any retirement would've gone the way it did when Scalia died.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this galvanizes voters against Republicans. For all the crazies, abortion rights still have majority support.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Witnessing America embrace full-on fascism, while most people my age watch silly videos on tiktok is surreal.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Make no mistake, they'll do the same with gay marriage next. Why wouldn't they?

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Make no mistake, they'll do the same with gay marriage next. Why wouldn't they?
Gay marriage has grown massively in acceptance in GOP community. Just (optimistically) don't see it happening, but you never know. It's so frustrating that people just couldnt bring themselves to vote for Hillary.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
So the Democrats have the white House, congress, House, and half the Senate.

How come they aren't passing a lot? I feel as if one small vote is ruining America's good time then it is time for more drastic measures lol

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I hope this galvanizes voters against Republicans. For all the crazies, abortion rights still have majority support.

In the nation, yes. In the states that will outlaw abortion? It's not so clear.

Gay marriage has grown massively in acceptance in GOP community. Just (optimistically) don't see it happening, but you never know. It's so frustrating that people just couldnt bring themselves to vote for Hillary.

They could do what they will likely do with Roe. Allow states to choose if they recognize gay marriages or not.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
False. Democrats had a filibuster proof majority for all of 4 months of Obama's Presidency(from 2009 to 2010) which is when the ACA was passed. Democrats lost the House in 2010 at that. Any retirement would've gone the way it did when Scalia died.

We're talking about the Senate. Only the Senate confirms justices, the House is irrelevant. You also cannot filibuster such a confirmation since it is purely done through the Judiciary Committee.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

The Democrats inherently have a difficult platform to market.

It's a large tent with a very diverse makeup of different interests and wedge issues. Each one competing for time in the spotlight because Democrats have to adhere to the concept of "political capital" and are incapable of actually legislating more than a few issues at a time. They also have to manage a party full of centrists and progressives of various shades that are often hostile with one another.

Republicans by contrast have a very homogenous electorate that is more or less content with government doing absolutely nothing. If all else fails they'll just run on tax cuts. Republicans don't like each other very much once they have a trifecta but it doesn't matter too much because their electorate doesn't need them to do much other than roll things back or cut taxes (the latter of which they get along in doing).

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
Why is the first thing that comes to people minds when Republicans do terrible things is to bash the Democrats?

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's naive to think them gutting/killing Roe would stop the GOP from fearmongering about it forever. "Elect Democrats and ABORTION will come back. Save the babies!" Same shit they do with guns.