• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
The Supreme Court says it will review lower court decisions upholding congressional and grand jury subpoenas for financial records from President Trump's longtime personal accountants and banks he did business with.

The cases include requests for records from Mazars USA, Trump's accounting firm, Deutsche Bank, which has a long history with the Trump family; and Capital One.

The decision sets the stage for a battle over whether a president can defy Congress' subpoena power.

The arguments are scheduled for March.

They'll hear the three cases in March 2020.

A decision is expected by the end of June 2020.

More details: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/13/sup...hree-cases-over-trumps-financial-records.html

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This country is seriously going to die screaming if the Supreme Court fucks this up. Why are we living in the worst possible timeline?

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised they took this up, although I suppose I shouldn't be.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Trump isn't popular, GOP seats are being lost left and right in elections and nothing on this earth will separate the GOP from him. It's really fucking amazing. Imagine if the GOP showed 1/100th of the effort to improving the country that they did to protecting Trump's fat ass.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I need to get the fuck outta this country. Though fascism will take over the world soon.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
They should have never agreed to hear this case. This not going to end well.

Our top court is going to grant the president of the United States unlimited powers to defy the law.

(cue palpatine)

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If, that's a gigantic if, a new President is sworn in come January 21st 2021, he/she must go scorched earth on Trump and anyone who protected his ass. To hell with precedent.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People here were pretty confident the Supreme Court wouldn't rule in Trumps favour.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
If, that's a gigantic if, a new President is sworn in come January 21st 2021, he/she must go scorched earth on Trump and anyone who protected his ass. To hell with precedent.

Lol I'm sure Biden would get right on that.

We live in a country where Republicans are allowed, and fucking encouraged, to break the law and Democrats are ripped apart for the slightest mistake.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to go so, so badly, unless Roberts does one of his trademark swerves when things REALLY hit the fan...I'm not holding my breath though. If the Supreme Court says the president can defy congress, the checks and balances system is officially completely done, and we will live in a country in the which the president might as well be a king.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
People here were pretty confident the Supreme Court wouldn't rule in Trumps favour.
people were confident they wouldn't hear it too.

People don't know how fascism works. Americans, we've been so used to seeing take overs like this in countries the CIA is toppling. Now russia is doing it to us, and we've got nothing.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow.... genuinely shocked. The easiest course for the Supreme Court was to defer, and not touch this case with a 10 foot pole.

Whatever they decide will have intense ramifications for this country's future. If they say Trump can ignore, they are not only saying the President is above Congress, but basically above the Supreme Court itself (I still don't believe they're that eager to fuck themselves). If they say Trump must immediately turn it over, not only do we have new damning evidence, but no future President can ever delay shit like this again.

Just wow. I have no idea how this is gonna play out, and that's terrifying.

thanosotitan

Oct 28, 2017
NYC

It is not a ruling. They are just agreeing to hear the arguments. I think they want to establish prevent for future power struggles not the ones if today. These decisions are always beyond 1 president. Look at the bright side, if they rule in his favor hear, a future democratic president will be unstoppable.

they will just give a giant fuck you to any republican Benghazi or whitewater type hearings.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I know the court is 5-4 conservative, but HOW can you even remotely make that argument legally? The SC justices haven't seemed to be as partisan as the rest of the party, so I'm not giving up hope just yet.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
The Constitution is pretty clear on this.
It is, which is why it shouldn't reach this court at all. But hear we are.

democraxy is being eroded faster than I ever imagined it would. All to protect a crook and because a black man was allowed to be president.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Mitsuda not a ruling. They are just agreeing to hear the arguments. I think they want to establish prevent for future power struggles not the ones if today. These decisions are always beyond 1 president. Look at the bright side, if they rule in his favor hear, a future democratic president will be unstoppable.

they will just give a giant fuck you to any republican Benghazi or whitewater type hearings.

The dangerous part is that if this nonsense is allowed to continue unchecked we may never get another democratic president. I already don't think we're going to win next year.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh look the things people were warning about Kavanaugh at his hearing about being a partisan judge, so that Trump can absolve himself of any of his crimes are coming true.

Who could have seen this coming?

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Why even have 3 branches of govt? Just make the President a King which is what this would do.

thanosotitan

Oct 28, 2017
NYC
The dangerous part is that if this nonsense is allowed to continue unchecked we may never get another democratic president. I already don't think we're going to win next year.
It's not up to them. Time changes everything. Sooner or later without fail the pendulum swings. Dictatorship, monarchs and democracies have all fallen at some point. They cannot control things as easily as u think.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
It is not a ruling. They are just agreeing to hear the arguments. I think they want to establish prevent for future power struggles not the ones if today. These decisions are always beyond 1 president. Look at the bright side, if they rule in his favor hear, a future democratic president will be unstoppable.

If the SC rules in favor of this, it essentially means the President can never be found of wrongdoing and we won't HAVE a future Democratic candidate in the future.

Also, this SC will rule against every Democratic President moving forward. They don't give a fuck about the Constitution, just their side.