• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Supraland is a First-Person Metroidvania Puzzle game. The main sources of inspiration are Zelda, Metroid and Portal.

Supraland assumes that you are intelligent and lets you play independently. The story is minimal, gives you an overarching goal to pursue, and then sets you free.
Playtime: ~15-30h

tAybyE.png

- Metroidvania -
You explore a large interconnected world in which most ways are at first unpassable until you find new abilities to overcome those obstacles. A cornerstone of Supraland's design was to create abilities that are so versatile, they will keep on surprising you by how many different usages they have. If you combine your abilities, the possibilities become even bigger.

- Exploration -
Most of the game is about exploring the sandbox world to track down secrets. Often you will think you are about to get out of bounds and beat the level designer, but right there is a chest waiting for you with a very rewarding upgrade.

- Puzzle Design -
The deeper you get into the game the more you will be facing creative puzzles you've never seen anywhere before, encouraging you to stop and think about what abilities you have and how you can use them in yet another way. Puzzle types that I already knew from other games were immediately rejected in the design process. And it's important to me that once you understand the idea behind a puzzle, you can pretty much immediately solve it instead of having to go through a cumbersome, frustrating execution.

- Fighting -
The fighting mechanics are inspired by old-school, fast-paced shooter games like Unreal, Doom and Quake, encouraging high-speed strafing and jumping while throwing shot after shot at hordes of charging enemies without ever having to worry about weapons reloading.

https://davidm1337.itch.io/supraland

Game is amazing. Demo alone could last you for few hours if you go and explore everything. If you like platformers and puzzle games i really recommend you to go and download Demo.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Will give the demo a shot later today. The premise certainly sounds like something I'd enjoy.

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
I tried a bit of the demo. The game is pretty amusing. I'm a sucker for lampshade hanging :D

Combat seems clunky on first impression. Does it get better with new abilities and upgrades? I figured out that you could squash enemies with the purple cube thing, but it's hard to aim when they are constantly moving so fast. I quit after dying to a couple of spiky warriors.

Backlog is way too swamped to pick the game up right now, but it's going on my wishlist for sure.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I tried a bit of the demo. The game is pretty amusing. I'm a sucker for lampshade hanging :D

Combat seems clunky on first impression. Does it get better with new abilities and upgrades? I figured out that you could squash enemies with the purple cube thing, but it's hard to aim when they are constantly moving so fast. I quit after dying to a couple of spiky warriors.

Backlog is way too swamped to pick the game up right now, but it's going on my wishlist for sure.

Yes you can upgrade attack, strength and speed. There are also other types of weapons beside sword.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The first 30 seconds sold me on this game.

I saw inspired by Portal and was like..yeah ok.

All doubt removed now. Don't need to see anymore.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo yesterday and really enjoyed it. I'm definitely going to pick up the full thing in the next few days.

It kinda reminded me of a more gamey version of The Witness than anything. I think that might be down to the first-person view, it's definitely different for a Metroidvania-style game anyway!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
demo was amazing and I would day 1 it if I wasnt strangely sucked back in to ESO (strange because Elswyr isnt out for another 2 months), but I am so... them's the breaks I guess.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Played Demo for around 10 mins then decided to buy it as I had spare steam credit. It's amazing how something like a demo as made me buy rather than staying on my wish list for a eternity. I was just about to start The Witness for my next cheap/indie game I am mildly intrigued about.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game is great. Combat isn't particularly fun or interesting but it sparse enough to not be an issue.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I think it looks interesting. And hey theres a demo so maaaayyyybbbe...

Time realy is the problem these days isn't it.

This does look especially appealing to me tho so im gonna try to get to it.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I was looking for something new to play this weekend and this sounded right up my alley, so I grabbed it. Hour and a half in so far and really, really, enjoying it. Comb through an area, find some secrets, make mental notes for things to come back to, get to the next area, unlock a new ability, do a quick pass through the last area to see what I can now reach, etc.

Ganado

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna buy this on the 9th along with Zanki Zero and possibly Vacation Simulator. Looks awesome.

Oct 26, 2017
I tried the demo for 10 minutes, bought the game right away and played the main game for 4.5 hours (30% done)... It's really REALLY good.

petethepanda

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Wound up playing three and a half hours, completion listed as 26%. This is really good.

I'm getting to the point where there are enough splitting paths available that I worry it'll get a bit overwhelming, but it hasn't happened yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent game. Played the demo for fifteen minutes then picked it up. Really enjoying exploration and movement increases in this.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
The game is great. I love the puzzles and exploration. I ended up picking it up a few weeks ago from Chrono, and put in 17 hrs almost immediately. Indie games with demos are the best, thank you devs for helping me making an informed decision.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had to turn shadows and AA all the way down but it runs acceptably that way. I still haven't gone to see the blue leader, but I went to the top of the crystal tower. Love the game. Anyone tried it with a controller? I haven't yet and I only see keyboard in the menus. Does it work?

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer more structured games in this genre but will definitely give the demo a shot.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I had to turn shadows and AA all the way down but it runs acceptably that way. I still haven't gone to see the blue leader, but I went to the top of the crystal tower. Love the game. Anyone tried it with a controller? I haven't yet and I only see keyboard in the menus. Does it work?
Controller works fine. The menu doesn't have controller support, but everything else is fine.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
played the demo, really dig it

i like how secrets are in really natural areas, it felt like poking around was always rewarding

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
hey dex3108, do you know if the dev has any plans to bring this to consoles in the future?

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I never heard of this game prior to this topic, and would've passed right over it if I randomly stumbled upon it on the Steam store.

That said, the demo was awesome. Thanks for the recommendation.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
hey dex3108, do you know if the dev has any plans to bring this to consoles in the future?

Doesn't sound like it. It probably depends on whether sales of the PC version can cover the costs.

Edit: I think I just killed a skeleton when I accidentally hit F instead of E and spawned a force cube. There should totally be an achievement for that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't sound like it. It probably depends on whether sales of the PC version can cover the costs.

Edit: I think I just killed a skeleton when I accidentally hit F instead of E and spawned a force cube. There should totally be an achievement for that.

From release update

I will probably do some more little updates, but really just when necessary. Console releases are also still an option; we'll see.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/813630/announcements/detail/1783896975646901622

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
It'd be nice if this hits consoles eventually, my nephew would love this game but he does have a PC of any kind.

Until then I'm content playing it myself.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Tried the demo since I really like the genre... eh, it's super generic and the combat is really really bad.
The attack is delayed and you can use it like every 2-3 seconds, and the feedback is as bad, where you don't get if you are actually hitting enemies.

I appreciate the effort to pick random assets and do a little game but there are so many (better) games out there.

Oct 26, 2017
Tried the demo since I really like the genre... eh, it's super generic and the combat is really really bad.
The attack is delayed and you can use it like every 2-3 seconds, and the feedback is as bad, where you don't get if you are actually hitting enemies.

I appreciate the effort to pick random assets and do a little game but there are so many (better) games out there.
You should play more... You get upgrades in the first 10 minutes of the game that solve your problem.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
The game does a very good job having some Zelda / Banjo Kazooie style gameplay and the reward loop is very very quick. It's a game completely unmotivated by padding, you're solving a puzzle or finding some secret every 30 seconds. Some very good level design in showing the player where they can't go to give motivation to find a way in. Far too many games fail at this since the mid-90s. Not an open world but far better non-linear design than you usually see now.

You get upgrades to your sword and diff weapon(s?), but I agree the first 30 mins or so has bad melee.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Got my review copy yesterday without ever hearing of this game before. And I'm seriously impressed with it so far. This might be the legit first under the radar darling in a long long time. Gonna dive deeper tonight, the first 90 minutes were fabulous.

Saks for ost

Oct 27, 2017
Oslo
ARghhhhh... how do I get this chest?

Behind the glowing crystal. I have tried jumping on the ledge near it and from the glowing crystal.
6GvSEjA.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
ARghhhhh... how do I get this chest?

Behind the glowing crystal. I have tried jumping on the ledge near it and from the glowing crystal.
6GvSEjA.jpg
You need to backtrack a bit before you can find the right path
You need to have the purple ray
You need to have a special upgrade for the purple ray
Just jump on the grey rocks, use the purple ray, and then drop-jump onto the platform!
209565.jpg

Last edited:

petethepanda

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Jumping back in. Apparently I stopped right before the game goes hard on the Portal influenced puzzle mechanics.

First game since Celeste that I knew nothing about and was completely surprised by, really nice feeling lol

Oct 25, 2017
Played about 10 minutes and I'm intrigued. I felt a little queasy though, which is unusual. What's the standard FOV on console FPS games? I'm playing on a TV so I definitely want to change the default.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Early on I discovered that and it became my main mode of attack. Especially if you have elevation. Some of the enemies have a ton of health and you can just drop one block which will smash them all at once. Overall its not really a big deal once you get some upgrades but its really useful until then.