• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
I also have an 8 day trip starting March 20. Unless the CDV alert level escalatea to 3, we are definitely pushing through

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
I fly to Osaka on 30/03 for 2 weeks and I'm looking forward to it, unless the UK government decides to say otherwise.

If I do happen to bring something back with me, then I'll self quarantine for 2 weeks on full pay.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
being cautious can itself do a lot, but airlines and governments are also being cautious, so don't be surprised if you are asked to me masked during a majority of your flight

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
I have a trip scheduled at the very end of the month and I'm taking the wait-and-see approach. Would hate not being able to go, but it could be a nice opportunity to go somewhere else.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who lives in Japan, March is going to be the worst time for tourists. A lot of big attractions are shut down. Many are closed until the seemingly random date of March 15th, as if everyone is supposed to be magically healed at that point. When April rolls around, who knows? I'm not sure what constitutes "We're saved from the corona virus!" but I can't imagine people are going to live in their own personalized bunker for months. Unless the virus situation turns into an actual apocalyptic event where the government patrols the streets in hazmat suits making sure people don't exit their homes, people are going to return to their daily routine eventually.

I don't see anything wrong with postponing your trip until summer or even fall (when the weather is actually nice).

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It's too much of a hassle to travel right now, and when you get back it's another round of hassle if your work place is strict about this

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Aside from closed tourist attractions and a more cautious populace, Japan is perfectly safe to visit at the moment. The fact there are virtually no Chinese tourists at the moment means places are less crowded than they would normally be. Combined with very mild weather, it should be fine to visit and your chances of contacting Coronavirus in Japan are not going to be dramatically higher than in any other place.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread makes me realise how dumb it is for me to be concerned about a short trip to Paris at the end of March.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I'm supposed to be in Japan in mid-april.

Figure there is like a 50/50 chance.

It's a work trip and my 6th time going so it's not as big a deal as a vacation.

Sorry OP that it sucks, but you'd rather go when it's at its fullest and most fun.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I cancelled my trip in March. I was planning to attend an event (which is still on), but I don't think the risk is worth it right now. What if it gets worse? What if I get some quarantine bullshit that can ruin my semester? There's so many more cons than pros to this. I've been to Japan twice, by the way.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I personally wouldn't travel for the next 9 months, most people are going to catch COVID-19 in 2020 its inevitable at this point, most people will survive just fine. But you want your immune system to be operating at peak efficiency and stuff like travel hurts that. God forbid if things go really bad, being in a foreign country is not where you want to be in a crisis.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Had to cancel my end of March trip when the rest of my group cancelled due to fears of quarantines both in Japan and forced self quarantine s when they returned imposed by their employers.
Delta was unwilling to refund me, only told me I could rebook a different flight by may at the cost of the old flight

Last edited:

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm booked for mid May for ten days and I'm worried now with the responses here. Still plenty of time for this to either get over the worst or escalate badly, but still feels too early to make a call. I'm waiting until my government or the Japanese government start cancelling flights or giving official no travel notices.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The 'don't worry about getting infected' crowd is annoying.

Chances are most are already exposed due to the extremely long incubation time plus the highly contagious nature of this particular virus. Running around in a paranoid panic about it isn't going to help anything. Wash your hands, don't touch your face while out in public, and that's about all you can do.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chances are most are already exposed due to the extremely long incubation time plus the highly contagious nature of this particular virus. Running around in a paranoid panic about it isn't going to help anything. Wash your hands, don't touch your face while out in public, and that's about all you can do.

Nobody should be/get infected whilst abroad. You are putting yourself and others at risk.

Being cautious and limiting risk is not running around in a panic.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I'm still going in May (second half of May), unless something changes drastically for the worse.

April? Ehh. I'd watch and see what the numbers of new cases look like over the next week or two before making a call.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

You know that if all are already infected, that the mortality rate will increase from 3% to >10%, right? How many ICU beds does your city have? currently, 40% of covid cases are in hospital, 10% are in ICU. Those in ICU need medical care to fight the virus, without it, they are in a very very bad spot.

OP
OP
FirMatt

FirMatt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boston MA
Checking in about this. I appreciate everyone weighing in! Our company now has a ban on business travel, but leaves it up to my direct manager for personal travel. He's also going to Japan in April (total coincidence) and has no intention to cancel, and is encouraging me to still go.

American Air is actually not offering me a free transfer or refund like some airlines might be, so I'd have to pay over $200 just to move my trip to later in the year.

I genuinely want to just wait and go in the Fall, but if/until travel to Japan is banned by the government, AA has no interest in helping me out. But there's so many events canceled and places closed that it just seems like a bummer of a time to go. Oh, and there's a nationwide shortage on face masks over there too, so... šŸ˜¬ I feel pressure to just keep my plans as they are, but I'd reeeeeally like to shift the trip... But I just don't know if I want to light $200 on fire to do so. I'm really at a loss.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
My university and my host university in Kyoto recommended that study abroad for spring should be postponed until the fall semester. No official cancellation yet, but after consulting with friends and family I ultimately decided to go in the fall. There's no guarantee things will be any better by then, it probably won't be, but I think I made the right choice. I was supposed to be leaving tomorrow, so I'm pretty bummed.