• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Agreed. But if you are going to make a statement, today is the day.

Is it though? If you decide not to buy anything from a corporation on the day in which their margins are (potentially) the lowest they'll be all year, aren't you just saving them from losing out on potential profits if you purchase on any other day of the year?

Oct 28, 2017
Well I hope the second Sonos and Roomba you got make you feel better about your lack of solidarity. Love too whine about purity tests while failing to do the bare minimum- what a joke
Are we supposed to be having "solidarity dick-measuring contests" now or something? What, are we supposed to compare each other's donation records to see who is truly progressive and who isn't too?

Feel free to think that not buying something on Amazon is helping if you want.

And you can still show solidarity by just choosing slower shipping.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I'm boycotting.

Also good to remember that even if you're tempted by something on sale, worth looking around as a lot of other big organizations are doing sales to try to compete. Best Buy for instance has a flash sale today and tomorrow with some price matches.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Are we supposed to be having "solidarity dick-measuring contests" now or something? What, are we supposed to compare each other's donation records to see who is truly progressive and who isn't too?

Feel free to think that not buying something on Amazon is helping if you want.

Yeah man the way to help is actually crossing the picket line and spending hundreds of dollars at amazon when people are on strike

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah man the way to help is actually crossing the picket line and spending hundreds of dollars at amazon when people are on strike
I dunno, I think I try and help a lot. I try and donate a lot. I try and support movements. As I increase my wealth, I have goals on how to give back. One idea I have is trying to rent housing units at much more affordable rates for those that need it.

But I guess I failed the "progressive exam" by a couple of things on Amazon today. Because you seem to think there is some unique topological ordering on actions to take in order to be "progressive".

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Why is it so hard for people to understand how strikes work? It's not about dick measuring or purity tests or gatekeeping. It's just about respecting the workers who have begged people to not shop on the store for one day. One little day. Just one day that they're asking people to avoid shopping. Just one. And that's too much for some people because who gives a fuck about solidarity.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
How are Canadian workers treated at Amazon facilities? Is this a deregulated US thing?

Oct 28, 2017
Why is it so hard for people to understand how strikes work? It's not about dick measuring or purity tests or gatekeeping. It's just about respecting the workers who have begged people to not shop on the store for one day. One little day. Just one day that they're asking people to avoid shopping. Just one. And that's too much for some people because who gives a fuck about solidarity.
So, what do you think about people that shop on Amazon today that know about this strike? What judgement are you making on them for saying no to this?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Is it though? If you decide not to buy anything from a corporation on the day in which their margins are (potentially) the lowest they'll be all year, aren't you just saving them from losing out on potential profits if you purchase on any other day of the year?

Even if Amazon was selling it at a steep loss, your individual purchase of some bullshit that you would probably never buy if it wasn't on sale isn't hurting Amazon. Hell, your individual purchases aren't significantly helping Amazon either. What matters more is collective action and people are trying to do that on the day Amazon is trying to promote in hopes that their message can be seen when all eyes are on Amazon. The ask here is extremely minimal, it's to simply not buying something for a couple days and talking about the strike to help that message.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I think I try and help a lot. I try and donate a lot. I try and support movements. As I increase my wealth, I have goals on how to give back. One idea I have is trying to rent housing units at much more affordable rates for those that need it.

But I guess I failed the "progressive exam" by a couple of things on Amazon today. Because you seem to think there is some unique topological ordering on actions to take in order to be "progressive".

Hmm a landlord with "increasing wealth".....sounds like you definitely could afford to buy a roomba and second Sonos at a retailer with workers that weren't striking and you coulda done the absolute bare minimum to show solidarity and yet you didn't

Do you realize you're still whining about purity tests when all people are asking you to do is not buy things? You literally don't have to do anything and yet that's still too much for you and the other scabs on here

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm a landlord with "increasing wealth".....sounds like you definitely could afford to buy a roomba and second Sonos at a retailer with workers that weren't striking and you coulda done the absolute bare minimum to show solidarity and yet you didn't

Do you realize you're still whining about purity tests when all people are asking you to do is not buy things? You literally don't have to do anything and yet that's still too much for you and the other scabs on here
I am not a landlord. I'm talking about how I'd like to invest my money in ways that can help people as I make more money. Not sure how you twisted that into a sin.

And you're the one repeatedly pushing this purity test. It seems like you really want to give yourself the moral high-ground here for simply doing nothing.

Hell, I've said multiple times how you can help by choosing slow shipping options too. Not sure why that keeps being ignored.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I feel bad because I really needed rabbit food, so I had to use Amazon today. I meant to get it yesterday, but I forgot. It wasn't on sale or anything, they just have the brand he likes in bigger containers than PetCo.

I don't plan on buying anything else, though.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
I am not a landlord. I'm talking about how I'd like to invest my money in ways that can help people as I make more money. Not sure how you twisted that into a sin.

And you're the one repeatedly pushing this purity test. It seems like you really want to give yourself the moral high-ground here for simply doing nothing.

Hell, I've said multiple times how you can help by choosing slow shipping options too. Not sure why that keeps being ignored.

Yeah when tasked with the easiest show of solidarity possible I somehow managed to do it instead of spending hundreds of dollars crossing a picket line and whining in this thread about how I can't live up to purity tests that require me to do nothing. I'm sure the amazon workers will feel better knowing that you intend to help in your hopes and dreams

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad because I really needed rabbit food, so I had to use Amazon today. I meant to get it yesterday, but I forgot. It wasn't on sale or anything, they just have the brand he likes in bigger containers than PetCo.

I don't plan on buying anything else, though.

I have a cat with a digestive disorder that I have to buy special food for. If the option was between using amazon and him potentially not eating for a few days, I could justify that for sure. He's your pet and you had to, IMO you shouldn't feel bad

The people buying random luxury items are a different story

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah when tasked with the easiest show of solidarity possible I somehow managed to do it instead of spending hundreds of dollars crossing a picket line and whining in this thread about how I can't live up to purity tests that require me to do nothing. I'm sure the amazon workers will feel better knowing that you intend to help in your hopes and dreams
You really seem to want to flaunt this moral high-ground as much as possible and milk it for all its worth, huh.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Can't say I'm surprised by the materialism by some on this forum, but at the same time, they shouldn't be complaining about workers' rights when making their favorite, uninspired AAA game.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
I'm still completely baffled that people use this shit company after their labour practices were exposed. Surely convenience can't mean that much to people.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
You really seem to want to flaunt this moral high-ground as much as possible and milk it for all its worth, huh.

you can't complain about purity tests when you came into a thread about the strike and announced that it wouldn't affect your spending habits. What did you think people ITT would be talking about?

Edit: the eel said it first

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's worth talking about what it means to boycott Amazon.. Sure, not buying anything from them directly is one thing, but does that mean I shouldn't use their streaming service to watch movies? What about sites owned by them like imdb, goodreads and twitch? Can I read the Washington Post? And it gets even harder if you you count AWS.. I know for a fact Netflix is hosted on it, and for all I know Era could be too.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
wint @dril 4 hours ago
Fucked up that Amazon will pay people to piss, shit, and have heart attacks on their store floors when I'm willing to do it for free

Oct 28, 2017
you can't complain about purity tests when you came into a thread about the strike and announced that it wouldn't affect your spending habits. What did you think people ITT would be talking about?

Edit: the eel said it first

I only posted in this thread to respond to the message below. That has been what this whole conversation is about. I haven't said that there is anything wrong with this boycott. I'e only been pushing back against this idea that this is what determines whether or not somebody is progressive. Cooking has consistantly been pushing this attitude.

The amount of people willingly buying into this in a supposedly progressive space like Era is extremely depressing, tbh

Literally all you have to do is not buy things

See, Cooking is even still going at it. This person doesn't know a thing about me and is choosing to try and color all of my actions, even actions trying to help people, in a negative light. What good does it do to try and berate somebody who is trying to tell you how they are making early plans on how to help people as they earn more money? I'm making a plan now how to help people. I try and help people even now by regularly donating. I'm just pushing back against Cooking's attitude that this is where the line is drawn.

Hey man the amazon workers all heard about your vague plan to help them at an indeterminate point in the future and actually want to congratulate you on the sweet speaker bro.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
I asked before but I still don't understand how not buying sth helps the strike. If amazon plans for z demand on the prime days and x workers then go on strike so amazon can only fulfil a lower amount of y orders on time. If boycots then cause the demand to reduce from the original z level down to sth nearer to y then there is no labour shortage and all orders get fulfilled on time. So the striking workers don't have any bargaining power. Bottlenecks are pretty much why strikes are usually threatened during days with peak demand

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
I only posted in this thread to respond to the message below. That has been what this whole conversation is about. I haven't said that there is anything wrong with this boycott. I'e only been pushing back against this idea that this is what determines whether or not somebody is progressive. Cooking has consistantly been pushing this attitude.

See, Cooking is even still going at it. This person doesn't know a thing about me and is choosing to try and color all of my actions, even actions trying to help people, in a negative light. What good does it do to try and berate somebody who is trying to tell you how they are making early plans on how to help people as they earn more money? I'm making a plan now how to help people. I try and help people even now by regularly donating. I'm just pushing back against Cooking's attitude that this is where the line is drawn.

Damn man it sucks to get your feelings hurt and to have people just ignore your mistreatment

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I asked before but I still don't understand how not buying sth helps the strike. If amazon plans for z demand on the prime days and x workers then go on strike so amazon can only fulfil a lower amount of y orders on time. If boycots then cause the demand to reduce from the original z level down to sth nearer to y then there is no labour shortage and all orders get fulfilled on time. So the striking workers don't have any bargaining power. Bottlenecks are pretty much why strikes are usually threatened during days with peak demand
It means amazon makes less money why is this difficult for you to understand?

Oct 28, 2017

The motivation is probably to have Prime Days not be a success, which will message to Amazon that the public is on the strikers' side.
Damn man it sucks to get your feelings hurt and to have people just ignore your mistreatment

My feelings are fine. Keep checking on them regularly if you want though, I suppose.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It means amazon makes less money why is this difficult for you to understand?
I have the same concerns. The issue isn't that Amazon makes too much money, the issue is that they aren't investing it properly in their workers. If they had to downsize and lay people off, the workers that are left aren't going to have better working conditions.

The motivation is probably to have Prime Days not be a success, which will message to Amazon that the public is on the strikers' side.
I understand the symbolic argument, but it would also have to be coupled with a simultaneous public show of protest along with it so that Amazon knows the source of the failure. A sale could fail for any number of reasons.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
So the thing is, a huge chunk of the workers at Amazon fulfillment centres aren't actually Amazon employees, especially during seasonal periods. Amazon goes to staffing companies and say we need X amount of forklift operators, X amount of picker, X amount of packers for X days. They are then billed for those employees and then the staffing companies pay the workers. And they pay them worse than Amazon does, with barely any benefits.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I have the same concerns. The issue isn't that Amazon makes too much money, the issue is that they aren't investing it properly in their workers. If they had to downsize and lay people off, the workers that are left aren't going to have better working conditions.
How do you not understand that the ONLY thing corporations respond to is a detrimental effect on their bottom line?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
How are Canadian workers treated at Amazon facilities? Is this a deregulated US thing?
My friend used to do it as a more casual thing cause he wanted extra cash while in school. From what I can tell, they hire on the spot and work you hard. Gotta work fast and meet quotas to not get in trouble. It's easy if you're in good health, young, and not injured, but this type of job has no requirements so anyone can get hired and it seems a lot of older folks who cannot physically endure it end up there due to it being the only job they can get.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
How do you not understand that the ONLY thing corporations respond to is a detrimental effect on their bottom line?
Of couse they do, but what I'm not seeing how the causal effect of them making less money of the consumer side translates to better working conditions for workers. Traditionally, boycotts are used to affect change on the consumer end. To make a comparison to the crunch issue on the gaming side, how would consumers boycotting, say, RDR2 stop R* from crunching? It's a management issue.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Excuse my ignorance and im very late to this party but what are the striker's major asks?

Doesn't Amazon already pay warehouse workers very high and offer good benefits relative to the industry? I think I saw something that they start at $15 an hour which is fantastic for warehouse work

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Excuse my ignorance and im very late to this party but what are the striker's major asks?

Doesn't Amazon already pay warehouse workers very high and offer good benefits relative to the industry? I think I saw something that they start at $15 an hour which is fantastic for warehouse work
$15 an hour isn't that good when you're worked to the bone. it's not about pay, it's about treatment.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not, I don't see the point. If people disagree that is fine but for me personally, I use Amazon so I see no reason to boycott them for 2 days and use them the rest of the year. Also, I have no desire to stop using them.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

Good pay does matter if the actual conditions in which you're working are shit.