• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think the Zod fight was any good. I much prefered the fight against the two underlings with the military raining bullets on them.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
qWKANeG.gif

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
Damn, getting me hyped. He does do this action well. But then then Doomsday and Justice League Superman fights were junk.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Its the closest we'll ever get to a high budget DBZ so its a good one in my books.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yes, the fight was fucking amazing!

zKaMOH.gif

Every blow created a sonic boom. That was such a nice subtle touch that also sold how unimaginably powerful these guys were.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Terrible.
A fight with no weight due to opponents that can't get harm. If anything it shows how pointless is to make a Superman movie where he solves things punching them.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Say what you will about Snyder, but the guy has a visual style and can direct cool action sequences.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I agree, Man of Steel has impeccable action. With a few tweaks to show Superman saving civilians, not kissing Lois and the tornado it would be much higher rated.
Amazing how three small changes would have fixed several problems with Clark's character and improved the characterization of Superman.

If he had saved Pa Kent anyways, kept trying his best (and failing) to move the fight out of Smallville and Metropolis while saving people, maybe even have him be too slow to save someone in the earlier fights. Have the fight mess up his cape and costume. Make it seem like he was at his wits end on how to end the conflict.

I would have actually understood killing Zod.

Man of Steel however doesn't make me feel that way. It doesn't earn the moment, instead as some praising it in this thread have said. It's a DBZ fight where Stuporman (intentional misspelled) kills his enemy at the end and feels bad.

Even Goku gave Freeza a chance to give up.

While slower paced and limited by visual effects of the time. This scene, understands Superman better than Man of Steel.

I never got the impression that the Clark of Man of Steel actually cared about mankind in general. Superman is supposed to be the Man of Tommorow, the guiding light to show us the way.

And his godlike status in BvS made less sense to me.

Honestly Justice League Whedon version must of suffered brain damage from the resurrection, because he is the first version to act like Superman to me on a real level.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Nah, even Goku rarely killed.
Goku is an ass and recently almost doomed all the universes to getting erased because he wanted a tournament. Plus they totally took supermans origin for goku, over the years its gotten more and more similar.

He has a boner for fighting, don't pull the technicality yakon on me.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing how three small changes would have fixed several problems with Clark's character and improved the characterization of Superman.

If he had saved Pa Kent anyways, kept trying his best (and failing) to move the fight out of Smallville and Metropolis while saving people, maybe even have him be too slow to save someone in the earlier fights. Have the fight mess up his cape and costume. Make it seem like he was at his wits end on how to end the conflict.

I would have actually understood killing Zod.

Man of Steel however doesn't make me feel that way. It doesn't earn the moment, instead as some praising it in this thread have said. It's a DBZ fight where Stuporman (intentional misspelled) kills his enemy at the end and feels bad.

Even Goku gave Freeza a chance to give up.

While slower paced and limited by visual effects of the time. This scene, understands Superman better than Man of Steel.

I never got the impression that the Clark of Man of Steel actually cared about mankind in general. Superman is supposed to be the Man of Tommorow, the guiding light to show us the way.

And his godlike status in BvS made less sense to me.

Honestly Justice League Whedon version must of suffered brain damage from the resurrection, because he is the first version to act like Superman to me on a real level.

yeah people like to dump on Whedons JLA but at least he made Superman act like Superman.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY

animeanime.jp

「バトルはドラゴンボールというより鉄腕バーディー」『マン・オブ・スティール』ザック・スナイダー監督インタビュー | アニメ!アニメ!

[インタビュー取材・構成:野口智弘]  『マン・オブ・スティール』公開を前にザック・スナイダー監督インタビューの合同取材が行われた。『マン・オブ・スティール』にその取り組み方から、日本の意外なアニメとの共通点まで貴重な証言を余すところなく掲載する。

Are you aware of "Dragonball"? If so, did anything in particular inspire you?

I've seen a few episodes of Dragonball. I know it's a major work of anime, and that it has suitably huge-scale battles depicted beautifully. However, in response to your question, there's another anime I've forgotten the name of, where loads of city buildings get destroyed... I know there are loads of such scenes in anime, but this one in particular is possibly like Man Of Steel. I'm sure it's a TV series... hold on a minute *he phones his staff* In the US it's called "Birdy the Mighty".

Oh, "Tetsuwan Birdy"!

Yes!

In Birdy there are also characters who fight in super-powered suits, right?

Absolutely. The city battle scenes in it are so good, they have a huge impact. Also, because in Man Of Steel the fighting is mostly one-on-one hand-to-hand stuff, rather than in, say, The Avengers where they're fighting a huge force, the movie's much more like the fantastic style of anime than other movies.

So yeah, Birdy the Mighty was the biggest inspiration for the scene in Man of Steel. Funnily enough, the animator for this sequence, Norio Matsumoto, is a legend in the animation industry and has drawn some of the most iconic fight scenes in anime history (including this one.) He animated many of the best fights in Naruto, including that sequence where Naruto fights Sasuke in the waterfall valley with the curse marks and stuff.

This anime good? Birdy the mighty heh?

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't even come close to the moment you realize that Superman is breaking every bone in Zod's hand.

Then you get the Superman theme.

And Lex putting one and two together.

When deterrence failed, Zod was stamped out.

Lex figured it out eventually but he's still a hack, man.

Then later Superman went to reave that diner of its pinball machine, by placing the diner's first-ever to-go order. An unexpected way of things "working out", you might say.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. You can feel the kinetic energy and raw momentum in this fight(and throughout the action sequences in MoS). Marvel stuff on the other hand feels more like marshmallows tumbling around.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Goku is an ass and recently almost doomed all the universes to getting erased because he wanted a tournament. Plus they totally took supermans origin for goku, over the years its gotten more and more similar.

He has a boner for fighting, don't pull the technicality yakon on me.

Fair enough. I was only thinking DB and DBZ Goku. Not Super.

Even though I like Super and it's characterization of Goku as a country bumpkin who likes to fight he's not Superman. The initial origin is, but the characters are not.

Both last scions of a race. But one was raised as a recluse who never saw any other people until he was 11. The other was raised among people his whole life and interacted with them daily.

One was taught to respect life, people, and believe in the good of humanity. The other was taught how to fight people.

One didn't learn of their heritage until they had, had their own children. The other learned it during adolescence.

They have the same basic origin but are very different character. But as I said earlier, even Goku gave Freeza a chance to just give up.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Kid Goku is a mass murderer, he killed tons of Red Ribbon soldiers, he didn't start giving a shit about sparing people until after he trained with Kami. But that was back when it was much more of a gag manga so they want you to ignore that.
See this is a legit problem with the Manga and anime. Did he kill tons of soldiers or did they get knocked out. Shonen series are rarely clear on that except for boss fights.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

man these are some super courteous villains. Zod doesn't try to attack anyone but Superman. His henchman wait until after Supes is no longer distracted before lifting the bus. They give him time to notice too before throwing. Man, Reeve's Superman was easy mode in never having to make tough choices, and, if it ever did go bad, just fly around the earth in the opposite direction of earth's rotation and try again.

also surprisingly durable walls compared to the vehicles that collapse on the slightest hit.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
man these are some super courteous villains. Zod doesn't try to attack anyone but Superman. His henchman wait until after Supes is no longer distracted before lifting the bus. They give him time to notice too before throwing. Man, Reeve's Superman was easy mode in never having to make tough choices, and, if it ever did go bad, just fly around the earth in the opposite direction of earth's rotation and try again.

also surprisingly durable walls compared to the vehicles that collapse on the slightest hit.
Hence my comment on pacing and sfx of the time limitations.

When I went in to watch Man of Steel with Zod being the villain I expected basically nightmare mode of these scenes. Zod and his henchman causing destruction and damaged while Superman rushes around to save people while occasionally attacking back.

Instead we level a town, a city and have Superman not care about anything but fighting them.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Hence my comment on pacing and sfx of the time

Hmm no it's not limited by the vfx and pacing of the time. It's limited because it wants to spend more time on Superman focusing on people. There's no way to realistically do that with multiple Kryptonians unless there's tons of collateral. Example: the bus could have been thrown while Zod and Superman were fighting and roll towards Superman while he just finished throwing Zod. It doesn't because Supes only works if he's not actually challenged.

Nov 8, 2017

I think it's generally true that people don't want superman to exist in a dour world where you can't always win. I don't mean this as a slam, just that they prefer him to exist in a world where he can have his cake and eat it to in most cases; where there can be an optimistic outcome and he can save all the people.

iXenon

Sep 22, 2019
I liked the fight as well but as for the destruction, people need to remember Superman hadn't had to fight anyone close to being Zod, or anyone at all. You can't expect his first super battle to be like Goku's "I'll fight you but only if we're away from people". Zod don't give a fuck.

As far as killing Zod, it's fitting because despite the thousands thatve died that day, the only time Clark had to sit back and WATCH someone die was his father and he couldn't do anything then. He didn't wanna repeat that scenario so he did the only thing he could.

My only real gripe with the fight is, I believe being punched by other Kryptonians should mean Clark is bloody and bruised. But not even a hair was out of place at the end of it all

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the minority but a lot of the fight scenes in this film do nothing for me. They try to translate a lot of anime fight stylings without the benefit of the things animation can do that live action or CG trying to recreate live action often lack. Things as simple as speed lines, key frames add so much and most of Man of Steel just felt like weightless dolls smashing into each other while shit fell apart around them. That and like a lot of Snyder stuff the camera work often makes it even feel more weightless and moves far too much for my liking which combined with all the shit on screen makes it far less readable to me. People seem to love it but I think it looks as bad as Neo flying around the air against Agent Smith in The Matrix Revolutions.

Yep. Just looked like a crappy CGI sequence to me the entire time. Much of that film just seemed like the inverse of "cinematic gaming".

I thought this was about the 1970's version and I can here to agree.

Same, although it was from 1981.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
people will hate but I will say that the fights in Man of Steel really sold the whole Kyprotian are different beings plotline. I have never felt superman was someone totally different till that film, still my family was very heavy in Marvel so my experience with DC as through television.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
My only real gripe with the fight is, I believe being punched by other Kryptonians should mean Clark is bloody and bruised. But not even a hair was out of place at the end of it all
That part was always weird to me too. Like how can he snap Zod's neck if they can't even bruise each other? It doesn't make sense.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the fight as well but as for the destruction, people need to remember Superman hadn't had to fight anyone close to being Zod, or anyone at all. You can't expect his first super battle to be like Goku's "I'll fight you but only if we're away from people". Zod don't give a fuck.

As far as killing Zod, it's fitting because despite the thousands thatve died that day, the only time Clark had to sit back and WATCH someone die was his father and he couldn't do anything then. He didn't wanna repeat that scenario so he did the only thing he could.

This is a weak excuse, since his morals and resolve for protecting people goes further back than his experience fighting other fighting bricks. Even in comics, when he first comes across flying bricks, he still worked to save people even while toppling down buildings and cratering people.

Doubly so when fighting people significantly stronger than him. And in instances where he can't completely avoid destroying something, he'll come back to help fix it.

Huskman

Jan 21, 2019
... I don't get how this film is still divisive. I thought the origin story was great, the protagonist having to come to a decision about the world that has somewhat cast him out (yet he keeps trying to do good), a phenomenal villain who at the end of the day was going to commit a genocide to bring his people back, great visuals, fantastic fight scenes, and a score that fits perfectly.

Oddly enough the origin part copies a lot of the origin format of Batman Begins. Current day clips to flashback that is mildly relevant then clips back to current day. Granted David Goyer and Christopher Nolan were on both Batman Begins and Man of Steel.

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017
Good lord this fight was terrible. Just two immortals punching each other through buildings for ten minutes. It reminded me very much of the Agent Smith/Neo fight from Matrix Revolutions, just CGI destruction with zero stakes. The cherry on the top of a truly awful movie.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
The scene in the OP has nothing on Thor's arrival in Infinity War. Or Thor wrecking shit throughout Thor: Ragnarok, including his own Superman-esque flight right before the main title:

You know why? Cause Synder's Superman and Zod suck as characters. And Nu-Thor doesn't. (Well, okay, his arc in Endgame was fairly controversial.... but at least he was still hilarious and charismatic. And he didn't also kill a whole fucking bunch of civilians just so he could take down a single guy.)

Ugh I hate Ragnarok so much. I'll never understand how people find this movie funny lol, especially that idiotic opening with Thor twirling around

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

if I recall correctly, they were looking to cause him grief by putting humans in danger. They were messing with him.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I agree, OP. Rewatched MoS a few weeks ago and I still really enjoy it. The music is A+ in particular

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
The opening of BvS where you see the fight from ground level is extremely evocative. That movie loses it's way pretty fast but damn it was a strong opening.

Yeah that was a really cool scene. Effectively makes a visual case for why superheroes and villains would be disastrous to us

I dont like the scene in man of steel particularly much though but zimmers soundtrack for it was hype as shit.

Oct 26, 2017
That was the one of the worst fight scenes I've ever had the displeasure of watching. Terrible choreography, so over the top you cannot connect to anything happening, and just overall profoundly stupid.