• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, there's currently a discourse on Twitter about this whole Superman thing. People think Hoechlin gets the character right, which is why Cavill is trending of course.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that Tyler voices Sephiroth in the FFVII Remake lol. Thats fucking cool. Dude is awesome.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
So Im sure they will probably drop the concept but Im guessing this Luthor figured out how to fix the whole doppelganger problem the show had where doppelgangers couldnt survive long on one earth?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We also don't know for sure if he's "Lex" and not another Luthor.

Honestly, considering the way he's acting, I wouldn't be surprised if he's meant to be Alexander Luthor Jr. (the Infinite Crisis guy), rather than Lex specifically.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
So yeah, there's currently a discourse on Twitter about this whole Superman thing. People think Hoechlin gets the character right, which is why Cavill is trending of course.
Well I'd argue his performance suffered in large parts from the writing and direction. Dude can be charming as fuck and not giving him another shot at it with a different writer/director is a waste of incredible casting. But, yes, Hoechlin should get lots of praise of course!

This is so great, love it! I really need to check out this show (and figure out how I can do it in Germany...).

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
That's so cool!

I'm sure this has been answered in this thread already, but does one need experience with the Arrowverse to get into this? Or is it pretty much a standalone thing?
It is pretty standalone, at least the pilot is.

I enjoyed the it, didn't feel too much like an Arrowverse show, though I expect the budget to be down after the pilot.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the show will look like when they inevitably slash the budget. Even episode 2 I bet will have far fewer location shots and much simpler camera setups, but another budget slash later on is inevitable if it gets renewed. It definitely was a strong pilot though. I think Kristin Kreuk was a better Lana and the golden boy kid has such a stupid face, but I enjoyed basically everything else.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm confused where this fits in the Arrowverse? Last time we saw them wasn't Lois still pregnant or she was about to give birth? How are the kids teens already?

I rather enjoyed it though. I hope the teen drama doesn't overtake the show too much.

I think you skipped a crossover. Last time we saw Lois, she had already given birth to a child and they were raising him on Argo.

However, in the post-Crisis universe, she gave birth years earlier and to two kids.

Dr. Wario

User requested ban
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
Was actually quite impressed considering CW's other DC shows. Still not keen on the teen drama stuff but the Supes scenes were great, especially that Fleischer suit 😍

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
"Thanks, my mom made it for me" is such a perfect Superman line.
06de645b457852376c60e0304fd6ee13.jpg

We don't get enough references to "Superman for All Seasons."

Deleted member 86306

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2020
Really liked it. They pretty much had me after the montage at the beginning.
I hope they can keep this budget up. In a small production video the producers were saying that this show will have more of a movie feel with better effects etc.
We'll see. Don't really like the Arrow universe stuff, but I really liked Smallville back in the day and this seems to have the same vibe.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
ew.com

How 'Superman & Lois' brings the Man of Steel mythos down to earth — and into a new era

Superman & Lois's Tyler Hoechlin, Elizabeth Tulloch, and Todd Helbing preview season 1's Kent family drama, Supergirl connections, and more.

For what it's worth, they're being cagey on saying what his first name is and they confirm that it's related to Crisis. PlanetSmasher could be onto something.

In a recent interview, EW asked Todd Helbing if the good Captain's first name was even Lex? While the producer declined to answer that question, he shared that viewers should expect to see something very different from Cryer's performance and character.

"What Jon Cryer does on Supergirl is awesome and I think the way they presented this version of Lex Luthor is fantastic, and we wanted to present a villain or an adversary to Superman at the beginning that just felt different and threatening, but could also lead us in ways that you can't necessarily go with like a Jon Cryer version of it," Helbing told EW. "So, all I'll really say is you're really going to get this guy's backstory, where he's from, what he was like, where he comes from, his professional life, his personal life. You're gonna get to know why he's going after Superman. Once you understand his motivation, it's like what Wolé said at TCAs: It's like every villain is the hero of their own story. It's true. Once you start to understand who this guy is and what his motivations are, I think people are going to look at him differently."

That being said, Captain Luthor did shed some light on his origins during his brutal brawl with Superman (Hoechlin) in the pilot. "I know everything there is to know about the Last Son of Krypton. Where I come from, let's just say, the two of us have history," Luthor tells Superman in the episode. "My world was destroyed, but somehow I managed to survive. I eventually arrived here and I learned you are here, too."

It sure sounds like Luthor is talking about the events of last year's crossover "Crisis on Infinite Earths," which destroyed every planet in the multiverse. When EW asked Helbing if Luthor's presence on Earth-Prime had anything to do with "Crisis," he said, "Yes," with a laugh, and didn't elaborate any further.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Ep was good .
Having 2 sons so one can have powers and the other don't could leading to some annoying writing .
I just hope it done okay if they going to keep it that way for a while or permanently.
Same for some other aspects with the kids but supes and lois good so far .

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Jon Cryer will be back as Lex on Supergirl, so it will be fun to see how long it takes for him to show on Superman.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
it is because they need to nail Clark Kent on television, while movies don't have time for him.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

They really nailed this scene.

Have they hired an actor yet for Luthor or is this a place holder?

EOdKcAj.png

I wonder what the show will look like when they inevitably slash the budget.

I expect the budget to be down after the pilot.

I hope they can keep this budget up.

Apparently HBO are partially funding the show, and the FX house that's doing the show also worked on the Marvel shows (WandaVision, Falcon, Loki).
So here's hoping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This whet my appetite for some Supes TV. Is Supergirl any good?

Supergirl is good but it goes up and down quite a bit much like Smallville. However, it doesn't hit the highest highs that Smallville does.

Season 1 is a solid/fun start. Season 2 is better, especially thanks to the introduction of Mon-El and Lena Luthor. Season 3 is a mixed bag. I recently rewatched it and the first half is actually way better than I remember but the second half falls apart.

Season 4 is legitimately great. It clearly bounces off of what was happening at the time with the Trump administration and overall does a very good job. That's when they introduce Jon Cryer's fantastic Lex Luthor and a number of other awesome characters (Dreamer, Manchester Black, Agent Liberty). It's one of my favorite Arrowverse seasons.

Unfortunately, it was followed up by season 5, which I feel is widely regarded as its worst. This is mainly due to some incredibly forced drama between two characters that is drawn out way too long and an uninteresting season-long arc. It does rebound with a string of solid episodes after Crisis (including a better 100th episode than what The Flash).

My hope is that they rebound for its upcoming final season.

It's worth watching. Just know it can be rough at times.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
This is heads and shoulders above the other CW Arrowverse shows I've seen. Really surprised me how good it was. Whole thing was tight from the acting to the production. The cinematography especially was really nice.