• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
I've never watched an Arrowverse show before, but I enjoyed the episode. The chemistry between Clark and Lois is great. Tyler Hoechlin has come a long way since I last saw him get attacked by a giant bear in Grizzly Rage.

Also, Geoff John's hair plugs do not look good.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The documentary seems to be solidifying the fact that they're not going to shy away from this being in the Arrowverse.

(And also confirming that they are going to consider Stargirl as part of the Arrowverse going forward.)

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
That producer said worlds earlier too right, hmmm, interesting.

The documentary seems to be solidifying the fact that they're not going to shy away from this being in the Arrowverse.

(And also confirming that they are going to consider Stargirl as part of the Arrowverse going forward.)
Yup, good to see it get mentioned right in here.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm into it.

The foundation of the show is great, and the emotional beats work. I like the kids a lot and think Lois has a ton of potential.

Cut back on the big-scale sci-fi stuff, though. I disengage whenever Superman starts flying around the world in 10 seconds.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm into it.

The foundation of the show is great, and the emotional beats work. I like the kids a lot and think Lois has a ton of potential.

Cut back on the big-scale sci-fi stuff, though. I disengage whenever Superman starts flying around the world in 10 seconds.

I feel like that's a problem with Superman in general. These are his powers so like... he should be doing that. But also, it can negatively impact the storytelling. He's a hard character to balance.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
...because it's efficient storytelling? Most of his Superman time in this episode was spent getting his ass kicked so I'm not seeing how this is an issue

Firstly, I think the scale, for this show, is beyond the budgetary means. Less is more almost always, anyway.

Secondly, I think other Superman scenes in the show played much more in line with the rest of the grounded tone. Him lifting the truck, the reactor scene at the start, etc. He's still moving around real fast, but he's not going mach... 20?

Thirdly, stakes. You need them. If Superman can take a nuclear bomb to the face and live... he has zero physical stakes beyond plot devices, which is boring. I say this as a guy who LOVES Superman.

If the pilot already has Superman doing some Superman IV tier super speed flying around the world, it takes away a certain foundation to me as a viewer. It's too cartoony for me, and I wish they'd dial it back.

Nothing that happened in the big bad fight scene required these extreme wide shots of the Earth with two guys zipping around to that degree- you could have had them just flying above any city and still achieved the exact same action beats.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
This is obviously a nitpick but there is an easy way to avoid this: don't have him land halfway across the world from that fight. Then he doesn't have to fly around the world in 5 seconds.

Bingo.

Just have the fight happen where it started, or have them fly into a neighboring city/town. I felt like they went to the opposite side of Earth in a blink of an eye, and it felt too dialed up for my tastes.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Firstly, I think the scale, for this show, is beyond the budgetary means. Less is more almost always, anyway.

Secondly, I think other Superman scenes in the show played much more in line with the rest of the grounded tone. Him lifting the truck, the reactor scene at the start, etc. He's still moving around real fast, but he's not going mach... 20?

Thirdly, stakes. You need them. If Superman can take a nuclear bomb to the face and live... he has zero physical stakes beyond plot devices, which is boring. I say this as a guy who LOVES Superman.

If the pilot already has Superman doing some Superman IV tier super speed flying around the world, it takes away a certain foundation to me as a viewer. It's too cartoony for me, and I wish they'd dial it back.

Nothing that happened in the big bad fight scene required these extreme wide shots of the Earth with two guys zipping around to that degree- you could have had them just flying above any city and still achieved the exact same action beats.
This is obviously a nitpick but there is an easy way to avoid this: don't have him land halfway across the world from that fight. Then he doesn't have to fly around the world in 5 seconds.
Bingo.

Just have the fight happen where it started, or have them fly into a neighboring city/town. I felt like they went to the opposite side of Earth in a blink of an eye, and it felt too dialed up for my tastes.

I really don't see this as an issue. The dramatic stakes of the sequence were not undercut by Superman flying fast, and him ending up in faraway locales while doing Superman stuff helps to make it feel like everything isn't happening in a cordoned off Toronto street like most of the CW stuff.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I really don't see this as an issue. The dramatic stakes of the sequence were not undercut by Superman flying fast, and him ending up in faraway locales while doing Superman stuff helps to make it feel like everything isn't happening in a cordoned off Toronto street like most of the CW stuff.

It's just a taste thing, partially, but I've just seen this happen countless times where they make Superman too fast/strong for the writing to keep up very long. You end up watching the same types of action scenes repeatedly, but maybe they'll break the mold somehow.

I think you can get away from the CW Toronto streets motif and find a middle ground where Superman isn't in space all the time.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Again, SUPER nitpicking. I'll think about it for a moment and then get over it. But it is something that can technically be avoided.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Again, SUPER nitpicking. I'll think about it for a moment and then get over it. But it is something that can technically be avoided.

tenor.gif

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a taste thing, partially, but I've just seen this happen countless times where they make Superman too fast/strong for the writing to keep up very long. You end up watching the same types of action scenes repeatedly, but maybe they'll break the mold somehow.

I think you can get away from the CW Toronto streets motif and find a middle ground where Superman isn't in space all the time.

I can bet with confidence that besides budgetary reasons, the people involved with this are terrified of "The Man of Steel Problem" and space is a handy little work around

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I like this Lois much more now. Modernity fits this actress like a glove- some of the dialog she had in the other shows was too silver age for it to have gravity.

Seeing her talk aggressively about how the rich extort the poor, etc, felt spot on.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA

It's way better than I was expecting tbh, they really nailed the tone of this show. Cinematography is superb as well. Feels like something of a fresh start for the Arrowverse. Definitely worth watching, I think you'll have a smile on your face in the first five minutes.

My only minor concern is that it might lean too heavily into the "teenage angst" angle with his son in future episodes. But so far, so good. I'm happy they're only doing 15 episodes too, that should eliminate much of the filler that comes with 22 episode seasons.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
It's way better than I was expecting tbh, they really nailed the tone of this show. Cinematography is superb as well. Feels like something of a fresh start for the Arrowverse. Definitely worth watching, I think you'll have a smile on your face in the first five minutes.

My only minor concern is that it might lean too heavily into the "teenage angst" angle with his son in future episodes. But so far, so good. I'm happy they're only doing 15 episodes too, that should eliminate much of the filler that comes with 22 episode seasons.

Maybe it's because I'm in my mid-30s, but I think the family drama, brutally-modern setting, and the brotherly push-pull are going to be what make the show for me.

It was refreshing to watch something so earnest and with a clear POV. I noticed by the end that the show has next to no sex appeal, which is nuts for the CW.

GambitPool

Nov 27, 2020
I'll be honest. I would prefer if they kept this in its own pocket universe. Keep the baggage of the Arrowverse out cause this feels earnest and unique from the other shows.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I liked it, knew they'd end up giving Jordan powers but I didn't expect it to be so soon. Wonder how long until he starts trying to do super hero shit.

Watch out Clark she is a Hexenbeast, you are weak to magic.

*Slayven makes a joke no one else will get*
Hey, I watched Grimm too... all the way to the end with the awful ship pandering they did.
More bearable than Nora West too 🌚
And Nora was supposed to be in like in her late 20s when they wrote her that way.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused where this fits in the Arrowverse? Last time we saw them wasn't Lois still pregnant or she was about to give birth? How are the kids teens already?

I rather enjoyed it though. I hope the teen drama doesn't overtake the show too much.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I'm confused where this fits in the Arrowverse? Last time we saw them wasn't Lois still pregnant or she was about to give birth? How are the kids teens already?

I rather enjoyed it though. I hope the teen drama doesn't overtake the show too much.
Crisis happened and now Earth Prime and the births happened earlier in the new timeline.