• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
I was just procrastinating thinking... what do you think superheroes would do in the real world? fight crime like in the comic books? fight dictators and terrorists and try not to step in the toes of a super power? just become celebrities like in The Boys? go postal and start killing white collar criminals and politicians?

I'm not super versed on comic books so I imagine some authors have tried to deal with the issue (probably Watchmen but that was still very american centric) but in most comic book media they always act like they need to be vigilantes, like somehow crime is devouring some american city and if it's not that then there needs to be supervillains and extinction level events to justify their existence.

Personally I think it would make little sense to fight crime in a developed country when there's many countries in the third world that suffer real levels of violence but in the real world you can't punch your way to peace (you hear that Batman?). A super hero stopping a genocide or freeing people from camps is objectivelly good but I can't imagine the kind of shitstorm this would create if the aggressor has any power or influence (like China).

They would probably be quickly demanded to cease their actions or be branded as supervillains. And this is only considering these "virtuous" comic book heroes, if we talk real people getting powers then that's just an inminent disaster.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Superheroes in the real world would give rise to Supervillains, who would then fight each other.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Corrupt politicians, corrupt policemen, and/or cartel. Like some kind of cross between Anarchy from DC Comics and The Punisher.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
What do you think would happen if a super powered human shows up one day and blows up Mitch McConnel?

We celebrate? And then point him in the direction of the Trump administration?

no, honestly - someone in here had a thread the other day where they asked what one would do with invisibility. If such a thing was possible in a superpower, imagine how much corruption within the government, Mitch included, who you could put in the spotlight. People who are nigh untouchable due to their positions of power.

Last edited:

BobHarris

Dec 20, 2017
I imagine it would be a major headache for anyone with superpowers to fight crime and "evil" in the traditional sense as anything they do would have immediate political consequences.

I think a lot of heroes would end up in the humanitarian area (helping when disasters strike, etc...), but essentially have their hands tied with more complicated issues.

Unless of course you were Dr Manhattan level and could do whatever you felt like because no-one could even come close to being a genuine threat to you.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I have no interest in marrying a safe fun fantasy world where superheroes fight supervillains for the fate of the world with reality and politicians.

I just viscerally reject that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 62221

Banned
Dec 17, 2019
This forum (well part of it) would celebrate but I imagine the US as a country would react pretty harshly. He would become a martyr for other politicians (from both sides), same for any politician that is killed by this "supervillain".

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
This forum (well part of it) would celebrate but I imagine the US as a country would react pretty harshly. He would become a martyr for other politicians (from both sides), same for any politician that is killed by this "supervillain".

True. I think depending on this individuals' power base, he would do better to root out corruption more intelligently with heightened senses/speed/invisibility and less like a Progressive Homelander

OP
OP

Deleted member 62221

Banned
Dec 17, 2019
I wonder what would China do if suddenly some super powered dude went and freed the Uighur people. Maybe retaliate against the country of the super hero?

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
People in real life would be probably be afraid and jealous and likely would turn against heroes after a little while.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
There would probably be a company that manages superheroes and sells their services.
Kind of like "The Boys".

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018

no, honestly - someone in here had a thread the other day where they asked what one would do with invisibility. If such a thing was possible in a superpower, imagine how much corruption within the government, Mitch included, who you could put in the spotlight. People who are nigh untouchable due to their positions of power.
And how no one would care. It's pretty easy to see Trump's (and others) corruption. It's out in the open. There's no smoking gun that will make Trump people see what he's really like. People choose to ignore it.

If Super powered individuals existed they would fight illegal wars for state powers and be the symbols of fascism.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
I wonder what would China do if suddenly some super powered dude went and freed the Uighur people. Maybe retaliate against the country of the super hero?
They will strongly condemn your interference in their internal politics, reminding you that your action will upset the entire population of China, and how China with its 4000 years of history( 3930~ of which was denied by Mao in his cultural Revolution) is superior to US brief history. Of course they would blame the US regardless.

They will do nothing beyond saying angry words, until they invent their own bootleg superhero to do their bidding a few years later. Then strongly condemn anyone criticising their action for meddling in China's internal politics, etc.

I know because this is my daily news cycle.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
Any person with super powers is more likely to turn into a villain than into a hero at this point. We would probably get some guy called Trumplander, whose first task is to destroy the global supply of facemasks and similar products.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are many stories out there that can be used as an example but the ones that come to mind right now are The Boys and Watchmen.

It would quickly turn into some really, really profitable business.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think it largely depends on how super they are. Like, if they're Batman or Cap's level (or maybe even Spider-Man level), they probably would just stick with low level crime. But at Superman level, there's not much they can fight at all without causing massive collateral damage, so they probably won't be doing much.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Government will introduce bills quick to force heroes to work for them and be soldiers rest become fugitives