• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StargazerXL

Jun 11, 2018
Not as drastic as other examples here but I'm not a big fan of the new version of Captain Marvel's Shazam's costume. Seemed straightforward and iconic for 70 years (like Superman's) but got jazzed up too much by adding a white hood (!) and making his chest symbol into a "magically glowing" thing that didn't translate well in the movie.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Do villains count? If so, then Dr Doom in Fant4Stic.
617268697830e3c1d4f3ed19d253066cd2675a7c6987109887cc7c04cf3cf297.jpg

FFDrDoom.jpg

Then we'd have to include Galactus as a cloud.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Hated what they tried to do with Lobo.
LoboComics.png
Lobo_D%20_kr.jpg

Being honest, I think original Lobo looks lame and if you told me to choose which of the two is cooler from a pure design standpoint I would pick the redesign.

However, that's not the character so I get the dislike for the change. If that redesign was some other dude who wasn't Lobo I think it would just be a cool new character.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Do villains count? If so, then Dr Doom in Fant4Stic.
617268697830e3c1d4f3ed19d253066cd2675a7c6987109887cc7c04cf3cf297.jpg

FFDrDoom.jpg

I remember when Fox said they were going "Grim and gritty" with the next FF movie, and everyone was like "oookk I mean maybe..." and then the Dr. Doom picture leaked and all hope flew out the window.

The 90s were fucking rough for the Fantastic Four, not just with Sue's outfit, but also when Ben got half his face sliced off and had to wear a helmet:

ONFdA.jpg

images

StrikeJP

Oct 31, 2017
The problem there wasn't the design though, it's the whole writing behind it. Aging him by keeping him Ultraman's prisoner for 7 years was the worst possible choice they could have made to get him there.

Oh, I completely agree. I guess you could say I hate the redesign of his whole character. That being said, I'm not a fan of the new costume either.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The MCU will have a chance for Tony Masters to be modern corny/campy, but having a Red Room member wear more tactical armor is to be expected in the Black Widow film.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I remember when Fox said they were going "Grim and gritty" with the next FF movie, and everyone was like "oookk I mean maybe..." and then the Dr. Doom picture leaked and all hope flew out the window.

The 90s were fucking rough for the Fantastic Four, not just with Sue's outfit, but also when Ben got half his face sliced off and had to wear a helmet:

ONFdA.jpg

images

I mean, Alicia Master turning out to be a skrull and the real Alicia coming back, plus Franklin becoming a cable wannabe was all in that era.

The Avengers, including Iron Man, Cap and Thor, weren't doing all that hot either, hence Heroes Reborn.

Dec 12, 2017
I feel like some of you peeps are stuck in the 80s. Aesthetics change due to practicality and modernization. Can someone honestly show me an OG Taskmaster design what would work in 2021?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
This broke my heart, i could no longer read Superboy due to it
main-qimg-2c18c0c61f3986372d76a601d3f28851
I go back and fourth on this one so much. I didn't start reading anything with him in it until Johns Teen Titans, so this was the one I preferred. Then at some point I started reading the reboot Legion and particularly the crossover issues with him in it and the jacket design grew on me.

I don't hate this one, but goddamn is it boring to me now.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
captain_america__avengers_1__transparent_by_davidbksandrade_da1tqsf-fullview.png

I really don't care if there's some lore reason as to why he looks like such a fucking dork. But the first Avengers CA costume was and still is *the* worst superhero costume ever put on screen. And it makes it 100x worse knowing that it follows up a great suit from the first movie. Joss Fucking Whedon, man.

people defended this when I talked about how shit it looked. It's so bad

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ONFdA.jpg

images

I've always wondered; why did Wolverine slash him in the face?

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like some of you peeps are stuck in the 80s. Aesthetics change due to practicality and modernization. Can someone honestly show me an OG Taskmaster design what would work in 2021?

Why's modern gotta mean boring as shit.
Taskmaster isnt practical. He's a supervillain.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I've always wondered; why did Wolverine slash him in the face?

At the time, Johnny was thought to have accidentally killed some folks by lighting a building on fire. Dr. Strange put together the "New" Fantastic Four to track him down to convince him to surrender. Both FFs fought and Wolverine being Wolverine, he cut Ben.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the time, Johnny was thought to have accidentally killed some folks by lighting a building on fire. Dr. Strange put together the "New" Fantastic Four to track him down to convince him to surrender. Both FFs fought and Wolverine being Wolverine, he cut Ben.

What a dick, that Logan.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're not even being rational. He/she/they is absolutely practical in the MCU-verse. Even Red Skull was practical in appearance.
Let me guess you were mad about the BP's helmet

Maybe don't start a forum post in a civil, non argument discussion with "you're not even being rational."

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The very nature of forums like Era is to start debates. Apologies for the nature of my language but my point stands.

Nothing about Taskmaster is practical or grounded because he lives in a superhero fantasy universe as a low rent thug dressed in a silly costume because that's how you make it big in the MU.

Every media adaptation of the character makes him a generic mercenary with a generic badass personality, ie: completely unlike comics Taskmaster down to his core as a character. He's basically just Deathstroke even though Deathstroke has been garbage for nearly 40 years.

Taskmaster isn't just built to be non-practical as a design, he's barely even practical as a person. He's not a badass master assassin, he's a thug for hire and that's what makes him great.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Dr Doom, Namor, Black Panther, Dr Strange...hmmm...which ones are your favorite?

Dr Doom has not been painted yet, but here is his sculpt
44ef5e3351d3f11c049f6db168385781_original.jpg

ed89edd4284c052155196d4a3ee322df_original.jpg

Bonus Phoenix Five version of Namor!
db96a08164ee49dd7cd8cac8d7f7931c_original.jpg

dc27221455ec7646c296db835e8589e1_original.jpg

23c66f27523c698fc371a5522b31f621_original.jpg

My personal favorites? Man, I have a ton but I gotta go with the Sentinels, Nightcrawler, or Death.

7f7e793a7847014430c8c35af669a335_original.jpeg

5dc9142e504c25218a4b81955beb95f5_original.jpg

9b509f2dcbb9cc260d22cffb5337b259_original.jpg

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
captain_america__avengers_1__transparent_by_davidbksandrade_da1tqsf-fullview.png

I really don't care if there's some lore reason as to why he looks like such a fucking dork. But the first Avengers CA costume was and still is *the* worst superhero costume ever put on screen. And it makes it 100x worse knowing that it follows up a great suit from the first movie. Joss Fucking Whedon, man.
Honestly this one would've looked better if they'd committed to keeping Cap huge compared to regular people. In TFA he's noticeably taller and bigger than almost everyone in the movie. Then The Avengers comes out and suddenly Cap and other supersoldiers are just really strong regular sized guys again for the rest of the MCU.

Dec 12, 2017
Nothing about Taskmaster is practical or grounded because he lives in a superhero fantasy universe as a low rent thug dressed in a silly costume because that's how you make it big in the MU.

Every media adaptation of the character makes him a generic mercenary with a generic badass personality, ie: completely unlike comics Taskmaster down to his core as a character. He's basically just Deathstroke even though Deathstroke has been garbage for nearly 40 years.

Taskmaster isn't just built to be non-practical as a design, he's barely even practical as a person. He's not a badass master assassin, he's a thug for hire and that's what makes him great.
I mean you don't think Marvel did focus groups? I think it's time that Era left it's bubble. It's really surprising to me that after seeing every single Avenger get modified to great fanfare that people are surprised for Disney to continue the redesigns. Oh and assassinations happen everyday, B lol.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
These are phenomenal holy crap...is the actual board game any good?

The problem is the base game is all that's available unless you pay through the nose or backed kickstarter. (but Taskmaster is in the base game) Also none of the miniatures come painted.

The game itself is pretty simple as far as board games go but it makes setup easy.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
All the modern Batman Beyond designs where he looks like a robot or is super buff. God they're terrible.

dhE55sNRdLF6dJNqbULdGC0jnaVJ0oIhMGBeIQo9ftw.jpg
Yeah this is the one that comes to mind too, was so excited to use the suit but then you unlock it in game and its just... not right. Same with the Arkham City one where he looks like a weird guy with the skintight face suit.

9e90vj3y6jk51.jpg

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
That time Doctor Strange turned into a smurf.

sx00Dcz.png

That time Frank Castle got plastic surgery and turned into a black man.

j4wjzdx.png

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you don't think Marvel did focus groups? I think it's time that Era left it's bubble. It's really surprising to me that after seeing every single Avenger get modified to great fanfare that people are surprised for Disney to continue the redesigns. Oh and assassinations happen everyday, B lol.

Yeah turns out when a character I enjoy stops being depicted as the character I enjoy because the building blocks that make them who they are in terms of personality and design are seemingly difficult to carry over, if more likely ditching them for something more appealing to focus testers, I tend to be bummed out and not enjoy the in-name only depiction of said character I already like for their unique elements that have now been stripped away.

And quit referring to it as a bubble as if not liking a dang character design is some kind of failing. It's dismissive.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah turns out when a character I enjoy stops being depicted as the character I enjoy because the building blocks that make them who they are in terms of personality and design are seemingly difficult to carry over, if more likely ditching them for something more appealing to focus testers, I tend to be bummed out and not enjoy the in-name only depiction of said character I already like for their unique elements that have now been stripped away.

And quit referring to it as a bubble as if not liking a dang character design is some kind of failing. It's dismissive.

I mean, this is a medium where every writer is work for hire and reinterprets the characters as freely as the editors allow. Even the interpretation of Taskmaster you enjoy is probably not the same as the original OG one.

I mean I'm a comic fan, I get it, it's just that you can't get too caught up in it when it comes to corporate superhero comics. I'm sure there's someone out there who is all mad that Joe Kelly ruined the Deadpool they originally loved from New Mutants 98 or whatever as well.

The worst is when some new writer has some pet project and to prove how great they are, they kill some long standing but minor character. It's why I don't mind death not being permanent in these superhero universes, why be stuck just because one writer didn't care about the history of a character and offed them?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Actually it was the Secret Defenders but close enough.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Yeah this is the one that comes to mind too, was so excited to use the suit but then you unlock it in game and its just... not right. Same with the Arkham City one where he looks like a weird guy with the skintight face suit.

9e90vj3y6jk51.jpg

I think the Arkham City was a more or less faithful adaption of the suit. That's how it is supposed to look like.

literally every time they have tried to take the underwear off batman and/or superman

No:

latest

k8djsakkp2911.jpg

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is a medium where every writer is work for hire and reinterprets the characters as freely as the editors allow. Even the interpretation of Taskmaster you enjoy is probably not the same as the original OG one.

I mean I'm a comic fan, I get it, it's just that you can't get too caught up in it when it comes to corporate superhero comics. I'm sure there's someone out there who is all mad that Joe Kelly ruined the Deadpool they originally loved from New Mutants 98 or whatever as well.

The worst is when some new writer has some pet project and to prove how great they are, they kill some long standing but minor character. It's why I don't mind death not being permanent in these superhero universes, why be stuck just because one writer didn't care about the history of a character and offed them?

I know these characters are, deep down, likenesses, but they all got something to them that has to be carried over if they're going to be adaptations of the character. You can make a lot of characters Spider-Man but there are some pretty specific guidelines to writing Peter Parker. Deadpool got into Wolverine Origins in a way nobody liked and then a whole movie was made about a comics-accurate Deadpool.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Movie_Skeletor.jpg

Honestly, though, I do think that Marvel can be too conservative with its live-action costumes.

They have the mass cultural acceptance and buy-in now, they can stand to get a bit goofier, especially with the side characters.

Giving Batroc just some pants and a jacket was a travesty.

Nov 17, 2017
I liked the one in spider-man PS4 :(

tumblr_inline_p8646qfLZo1sjmkcf_500.jpg

Going from the above, kick ass and practical to:

batgirl-new-costume.jpeg

??? Also bat ears poking out the hair?

I don't actually follow comics much at all, so if the above costume order is wrong I blame google for lying to me.
Is she supposed to have a secret identity? In both I just can't help but think I can see her face super clearly haha

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Anytime they try to give Namor an official "super-hero" costume. It's like, you have a character so visually iconic and with such specific powers that literally all he needs is green trunks, and yet every few years they keep trying to stick him into some non-sensical, overly designed, spandex/armored outfit for reasons that completely escape me.
Z0JthK.jpg

Or how about poor Rachel Summers/Grey? Sure, her whole convoluted backstory has always been inherently tied up with Jean's, but once this long-standing figure in the X-Men mythos was finally dragged back from her time in character limbo, what do they give her to work with? Hey, howsabout she runs around in a ridiculous midriff version of her mother's teenage costume? Complete with go-go boots and goofy sunglasses?
Z0JRCZ.jpg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Movie_Skeletor.jpg

Honestly, though, I do think that Marvel can be too conservative with its live-action costumes.

They have the mass cultural acceptance and buy-in now, they can stand to get a bit goofier, especially with the side characters.

Giving Batroc just some pants and a jacket was a travesty.
The real test is going to be Galactus.

Or how about poor Rachel Summers/Grey? Sure, her whole convoluted backstory has always been inherently tied up with Jean's, but once this long-standing figure in the X-Men mythos was finally dragged back from her time in character limbo, what do they give her to work with? Hey, howsabout she runs around in a ridiculous midriff version of her mother's teenage costume? Complete with go-go boots and goofy sunglasses?
Z0JRCZ.jpg

Still better than the red dominatrix outfit though. Heck it took decades for Kitty to get a decent costume.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Still better than the red dominatrix outfit though. Heck it took decades for Kitty to get a decent costume.
This is true...I just cant help but feel like, if you're going to saddle Rachel with one of her mom's previous costumes, then at least keep her in the classy and iconic Pheonix suit, which she had already been using for several years.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California

ONFdA.jpg

images

Oh man these were the comics that got me to stop collecting FF. So many memories.

My family's current favorite by a long shot! You can still get everything except the core box from the first Kickstarter.

X-Men and Marvel United Game

These pics are what got me to go all in on the X-Men United Kickstarter and to spend crazy amounts of money picking up the Marvel United sets on the secondary market. It's a really fun, light-weight game that I cannot recommend enough if you love comics. Hopefully you don't get sucked into it like me, or at least have the loose cash to indulge without guilt.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Oh man these were the comics that got me to stop collecting FF. So many memories.

These pics are what got me to go all in on the X-Men United Kickstarter and to spend crazy amounts of money picking up the Marvel United sets on the secondary market. It's a really fun, light-weight game that I cannot recommend enough if you love comics. Hopefully you don't get sucked into it like me, or at least have the loose cash to indulge without guilt.

Did you really just want to play it now, because you can get all those sets as add ons with your X-men pledge.