• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed 100%, but it's just Batman and Superman who have regressed due to nostalgia. Everyone else has moved on.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I came into this thread wondering what the fuss was about since the primary example Batman already ditched the undies for the best comic batman costume of all time:

OMmm4Nn.jpg

...only to discover that this costume is already old news, having double checked recent Detective Comics and Batman and finding things already back to the old status quo.
I came here to fight but now I find myself on team OP.

I'll always give a pass to the OG Superman but Batman has no excuse when the rebirth suit is right there.

Excellent post, I couldn't agree more with everything you said. It's so disappointing they scrapped this suit so quickly. It is the best batsuit. The bat looks lame to me now without the yellow outline, I can't let it go ; ;

OTOH I sometimes wonder how many artists could pull it off as well as Capullo...and I want to say Dave McCaig was colorist? Not 100% on that but the coloring on this suit panel to panel is pure magic that I am not sure would be easy to bring out with a different style.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent post, I couldn't agree more with everything you said. It's so disappointing they scrapped this suit so quickly. It is the best batsuit.

OTOH I sometimes wonder how many artists could pull it off as well as Capullo...and I want to say Dave McCaig was colorist? Not 100% on that but the coloring on this suit panel to panel is pure magic that I am not sure would be easy to bring out with a different style.
Everyone pulled it off well.

detective-top-185142.png

jl3.jpg

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Trunks need to stay, especially for Superman. So many have tried to get rid of them but it never looks good.

I've said this before, trying to design costumes for cartoon characters in the most realistic and practical way possible just never works. They look like that in live-action because they need to and it's a completely different medium.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
My only issue with the lack of trunks is that the designs all become someone similar and jumpsuity. It doesn't mix things up enough to just remove it.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Comic books are drawings, and I don't see the need to have them conform to the same considerations as real-world costuming. You can have good costume designs with trunks, and good designs without them—but simply deleting them from an existing design where they served a graphic purpose usually looks bad. And graphic simplicity (color blocking, etc.) usually translates better across a broad range of art styles than does a costume that relies on a lot of fussy details.

I came into this thread wondering what the fuss was about since the primary example Batman already ditched the undies for the best comic batman costume of all time:

Aside from the minor details in things like the gloves, boots, etc.—which are generally things the individual artist has some creative license over regardless—I don't find any aspect of this an improvement over the classic suit. The belt/trunk area looks plainly worse to me than a basic yellow belt + black trunks would.

Last edited:

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The trunks on Supes' costume do serve an aesthetic purpose, the red breaks up the sea of blue, which would be too much otherwise. If you look at the countless attempts to redesign his suit, it just looks weird with only a skinny red or gold belt. That larger presence of red in the trunks + the gold belt are more visually pleasing (at least to me) than having one or the other.

It's why I've never loved the Snyder Superman suits - having that tiny gold "belt" just kinda floating there always looked terrible to me.

That said, I do think the Rebirth design was probably the best attempt I'd seen at ditching the trunks in favor of incorporating both the red and gold into the belt.

ChunkyChowder

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. Superman's trunks stay on. If it needs an in-universe explanation just say the trunks are Kryptonian fashion.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no. Superman's trunks stay on. If it needs an in-universe explanation just say the trunks are Kryptonian fashion.
The in universe explanation is that the trunks was the suit his mom made, he made a better one, gave it to Lois, used the trunks suit as a spare until she was done with it, but it got destroyed so now he's left with trunks again.

It's stupid and needs to die.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
I say they should wear trunks, their capes/cowls, and nothing else.

As for all the attempts to redo Superman to get rid of the trunks, I'll accept this one:

2f88d4987875ae9b6a9b228c06ff785e.jpg

All the rest just look like a big onesie. You need something solid to split up that midsection and solid yellow is too much yellow. This gives you the red from the trunk and the yellow from the belt in a nice package.

Last edited:

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Superman looks way better with them than without, you need something there to break up the blue - which is why even if there aren't trunks, they always give him a belt. But then, belt doesn't make sense without the trunks..because why would you just have a non-functioning belt attached to nothing. Or if you look at the Snyder one you just have..a floating bet buckle that fits seemingly no purpose.

Either way, without the belt and the shorts, its just a dude in a monotone catsuit.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Superman looks way better with them than without, you need something there to break up the blue - which is why even if there aren't trunks, they always give him a belt. But then, belt doesn't make sense without the trunks..because why would you just have a non-functioning belt attached to nothing. Or if you look at the Snyder one you just have..a floating bet buckle that fits seemingly no purpose.

Either way, without the belt and the shorts, its just a dude in a monotone catsuit.
That's why you change the pattern.

252ba6eb16dee662d28afd8b7381f2c5.jpg

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While I'm well aware of the root origin of trunks, they've been a part of standard superhero design so long that they just feel like they belong at this point. I can't see the issue.

but I'm also 44. It's ok if things are changing to match what appeals to newer readers.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
images
2f88d4987875ae9b6a9b228c06ff785e.jpg
252ba6eb16dee662d28afd8b7381f2c5.jpg

Future-State-Superman-vs.-Imperious-Lex-1-6-600x923.jpg
4958750-5180996816-48326.jpg

All of these look great to me.
I think you're just proving him right with these examples.

Only the first two look half decent, and I think that has more to do with the deep shadows doing more to break up the blue. The design of the second one isn't far off from the third, but the third one, with the soft shadows, has the onesy problem real bad. Batman can sometimes get away without the trunks, but that's because the yellow belt breaks up the costume more than grey-on-black, usually drawn in heavy shadow to boot. Superman, in bright colors and usually in broad daylight, needs more to break up that sea of blue.

Plus whatever is going on with his belt in that last example is way more distracting than the red trunk, imo

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Much like the pushes for an armored appearance over cloth and spandex, trunkless Supes and Bats are an attempt to fix something that isn't broken.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're just proving him right with these examples.

Only the first two look half decent, and I think that has more to do with the deep shadows doing more to break up the blue. The design of the second one isn't far off from the third, but the third one, with the soft shadows, has the onesy problem real bad. Batman can sometimes get away without the trunks, but that's because the yellow belt breaks up the costume more than grey-on-black, usually drawn in heavy shadow to boot. Superman, in bright colors and usually in broad daylight, needs more to break up that sea of blue.

Plus whatever is going on with his belt in that last example is way more distracting than the red trunk, imo
I disagree. The third (and fourth, since they're basically the same suit) with the belt of the third and wrist cuffs of the first would work well in tandem as a modern superman suit.

It wouldn't take too many subtle design changes to make it work, and I think it works already.

If it works for Wolverine, Batman, and Cyclops, it'd work for Superman.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Trunks need to stay, especially for Superman. So many have tried to get rid of them but it never looks good.

I've said this before, trying to design costumes for cartoon characters in the most realistic and practical way possible just never works. They look like that in live-action because they need to and it's a completely different medium.
Superman Reborn looked pretty great.

91JO6kKuiQL.jpg

91goQjnJYnL.jpg

I really don't see what the trunks add.

It's pretty telling that most of the time the trunks get heavy shadowing compared to the rest of the suit. The red doesn't even really help with color balance anymore.
Action1000-LeeCVR2-hirez.jpg

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Counterpoint: Superhero costumes need to move to trunks-only.

Boxers and MMA fighters are a more modern take than the classic Circus Strongman trope superhero costumes originated from.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Counterpoint: Superhero costumes need to move to trunks-only.

Boxers and MMA fighters are a more modern take than the classic Circus Strongman trope superhero costumes originated from.
Nah, pro wrestling is still a thing.

Are you trying to counterpoint? Because those look very silly too. Anyone in a costume would look silly, so why not embrace it and put trunks? No one can put a huge logo on their chest and not look silly.
Exactly.
Because it's a boring design. If you're going to wear a costume, at least make it elaborate design.

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
I can kinda get behind this idea with this present trunks, but Future Trunks's costume is just fine.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly don't think it makes sense as a design element for NEW superheroes, but those that have it as iconic parts of their classic costumes should keep it.

This is mostly Superman and Batman.

Batman works well w/ and w/o it and I generally don't care which of the two approaches they take with his suit.

Superman NEEDS it. it makes his costume work w/o adding a bunch of other silly elements to balance out its absence.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Trunks spice up the design!
Actual design spices up the design.

wolverine1-hide-and-seek.png
RjyUZSptoyPqGDG4GMvAUC-1200-80.jpg

Both Wolverine and Cyclops have two fan favorite designs centered around trunks and both have had modern redesigns that ditch them, with Cyclops being 95% blue! It's not a problem for Cyclops and it wouldn't be a problem for Superman with an appropriate design.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Actual design spices up the design.

wolverine1-hide-and-seek.png
RjyUZSptoyPqGDG4GMvAUC-1200-80.jpg

Both Wolverine and Cyclops have two fan favorite designs centered around trunks and both have had modern redesigns that ditch them, with Cyclops being 95% blue! It's not a problem for Cyclops and it wouldn't be a problem for Superman with an appropriate design.
Well it definitely comes down to very subjective taste. I much prefer this as Wolverine than what you posted. Though not saying it would translate that well to live-action movies, things work very differently when they're drawn afterall.
wolverine5_orig.jpg

Last edited:

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Looking at all of the examples in this thread, I feel like the problem isn't so much trunks, which are stupid, but the skin tight spandex bodysuits on big muscular dudes. A bodysuit works well on a Spider-Man because he's lanky and agile, it invokes images of acrobats. But then you have a huge dude like a Bats or a Supes wearing the same fabric you can see every detail of his well-defined ass tendons. That's why I do tend to like the designs that are a bit baggier or at least look like they're made like real fabric rather than just paint. Trunks help break that up a bit by adding something, anything, to the design, but it's still red underwear on a guy who painted himself blue, knawmean?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
People saying costumes look silly anyeay...

It would be silly if you wore them as your work suit, in the context they are not at all. People using that excuse just need justification for trunks.

Are you trying to counterpoint? Because those look very silly too. Anyone in a costume would look silly, so why not embrace it and put trunks? No one can put a huge logo on their chest and not look silly.
They look much better without trunks, all of them.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Superman's design just does not work for me without trunks.
It needs them to break up the costume. Same for Batman.

latest

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Looking at all of the examples in this thread, I feel like the problem isn't so much trunks, which are stupid, but the skin tight spandex bodysuits on big muscular dudes. A bodysuit works well on a Spider-Man because he's lanky and agile, it invokes images of acrobats. But then you have a huge dude like a Bats or a Supes wearing the same fabric you can see every detail of his well-defined ass tendons. That's why I do tend to like the designs that are a bit baggier or at least look like they're made like real fabric rather than just paint. Trunks help break that up a bit by adding something, anything, to the design, but it's still red underwear on a guy who painted himself blue, knawmean?
But I posted examples of non spandex and body armor, which is what people are moving toward like Batman or the MCU